Name that Team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Name that Team

Alright hockey aficianados.  Name the next Canadien team to win the Cup and why.  Winner gets a pack of Juicy Fruit.

I say Edmonton.  Their dynamic young forwards learn to backcheck and Dubnyk lives up to his draft status (#14 overall).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Name that Team

Jeez, tough choices.  All of them are so many years away from doing it.

I'd guess Montreal.  A few pieces and it could get interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Wow NAS that's the last team  I would have thought you would pick.  Looking at thier roster, I only really like a few - PK, Plekanec, Gallagher, young Russian American kid whose name I can't spell, and Patches.  Plus Carey's playoff record of 9-17.  NINE AND SEVENTEEN!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Edmonton, they have enough young forwards so they could probably trade some to get a solid d-man. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I would also add that the Shabs just aren't built for the rigors of a long playoff run.  They remind me of Buffalo - small and just not physical enough to endure the grind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think they're all so far away from it, it's almost impossible to pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say Ottawa. MacLean has shown he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. With a couple more parts and a healthy lineup, he could pull it off.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Thinking about it a bit more, I'd say Ottawa. MacLean has shown he can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. With a couple more parts and a healthy lineup, he could pull it off.

Dam you RED! Aren't you supposed to be still in bed! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I dunno about that red Ottowa really caught lightning in a bottle this year and I'm not convinced Anderson is a true #1.  Too many questions and not enough answers with that team.  I like Tlusty, Conacher, Neil...what's Alfie gonna do?? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

This is still a loooooong way off but I see the Leafs as the team because they remind me of the Bruins somewhat.  Like Julien, Carlyle thinks offence comes from solid defense.  Both teams play with a speed and skill blend. 

The Leafs and Bruins both hit and fight when they have to.  Toronto has their kingpin on D in Phaneuf and Reimer in goal.  A pretty good core of forwards led by Kessel, Lupul and Kadri.  It would appear they're on the rise.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

The Qubec Nordiques

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Toronto will finish with a top 4 seed next season and will have filled the holes that didn't allow them to get pass Boston. The Leafs have passed Ottawa and Montreal in the East. No doubt they are the closest, in my view, but they need some pieces.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Toronto strikes me as the franchise that's forever jinxed.  But to be honest I don't mind their team, they're fun to watch (and beat in Game 7's!).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, hang, but like I said none of them are close so I think lighting in a bottle and great coaching may be what it takes.

Also all seven teams will be in tougher divisions next year. The Western most teams trade Minny and Avs for the Ducks, Kings and Sharks, The Jets leave the Canes, Cats and Bolts for the Hawks and Blues, and the Eastern teams get Deroit added to their Division. With the new playoff format, this will make it harder for the Canadian squads.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yeah, hang, but like I said none of them are close so I think lighting in a bottle and great coaching may be what it takes.

Also all seven teams will be in tougher divisions next year. The Western most teams trade Minny and Avs for the Ducks, Kings and Sharks, The Jets leave the Canes, Cats and Bolts for the Hawks and Blues, and the Eastern teams get Deroit added to their Division. With the new playoff format, this will make it harder for the Canadian squads.

Yikes I never really looked at the realignment from your perspective...ouch!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Toronto strikes me as the franchise that's forever jinxed.  But to be honest I don't mind their team, they're fun to watch (and beat in Game 7's!).

I know what you're saying.  Under previous management, the Leafs paid big-time money for guys on the downside like Pavel Kubina and Tim Connelly or easily replaced players like D Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek or Colby Armstrong.  Those signings were accompanied by lots of Toronto sports media hype and expectations.  Perhaps with Nonis those kinds of acquisitions are gone.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:

The Qubec Nordiques

Good one, seo.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I know what you're saying.  Under previous management, the Leafs paid big-time money for guys on the downside like Pavel Kubina and Tim Connelly or easily replaced players like D Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek or Colby Armstrong.  Just maybe with Nonis those days are gone.

RHO do you think Reimer is legit - I mean really legit?  He's their biggest question mark IMO along with a couple needed Dmen.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/

And oh yah Toronto has $20M in cap space to attract and add to an already young and good team. Horton and Ribiero added to the offense, Whitney and Murray added to the defense...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I know what you're saying.  Under previous management, the Leafs paid big-time money for guys on the downside like Pavel Kubina and Tim Connelly or easily replaced players like D Jeff Finger, Mike Komisarek or Colby Armstrong.  Just maybe with Nonis those days are gone.

RHO do you think Reimer is legit - I mean really legit?  He's their biggest question mark IMO along with a couple needed Dmen.

He's their top guy, hang.  Nonis said so after the Bruin series.  He seemed to find his pre-concussion form as the season continued.  Back up Schrivens is not the answer despite impressive displays earlier this season.  Up here there hasn't been any Luongo to Toronto talk in a long time.  Still, that doesn't mean there won't be any this summer. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

And oh yah Toronto has $20M in cap space to attract and add to an already young and good team. Horton and Ribiero added to the offense, Whitney and Murray added to the defense...

Wow Christmas in July up in Toronto!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

The Toronto sports media rumour mill runs with the best of them, San.  I'll be looking forward to seeing the names of the next TML addition(s) with that money.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yikes I never really looked at the realignment from your perspective...ouch!

Yeah, take the Sens Leafs and Habs for example - let's say Boston and Detroit maintain heir consistancy in terms of getting to the playoffs. That leaves only one guaranteed spot for the Sens, Leafs and Habs to fight over with the Sabres, Cats, and Lightning. That fourth spot could easily be snagged by the 5th place team in the Atlantic. You could easily go from all three of those teams being in the playoffs this year to none of them making it next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't see any Burke or Regier major mishaps, lesson learned, in the Leafs near future. And yes you know every free agent will be going to Toronto according to talk radio, its the same with Red Sox mania in New England.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

More of a myth that the Canadiens are small now.  Gionta is still there, and the C, and Desharnais can't get on most rollercoasters, but the only other smaller guys are Gallagher and Bouillion, and neither plays small.  They have a lot of guys in the 6' - 6'2" range and the 190-210 weight class.  Not shrimpy, just not huge.  What they do have, and this is the biggest deal, is more guys at the top of that range in either weight or both height and weight who are their key performers - Bourque, Pacioretty, Eller, Subban (216), Emelin - with more on the way like Tinordi and Galchenyuk as he matures (196 now, but with a frame that could push 210).  They just have to play heavier.

I hate to think it might be the Leafs, but if they stay healthy and if Reimer can put the collapse (COLLAPSE!) behind him - or open the gate while someone better tends nets - they could be the answer.  They don't need a lot of top end help - a top C as always - so much as the right complimentary pieces, and they have a successful farm system for the first time in ages, so who knows.  Maybe Colborne in 2014 is Kadri in 2013?

The ghost of Harrold Ballard will never let that happen, though.  I don't think it's the Oil because I see them making too many ill advised moves to even out the roster with MacTavish at the helm.   Calgary only has a chance if everyone else K-raps the bed for a decade or more.  MacLean seems like a great coach to get everything out of a nothing team, but can he get even more out of Spezza?  Dunno.  And the talk is that Conacher might not even crack the lineup next year.  There's a reason he was benched more than once in the playoffs.

Honestly, I have to agree with the people saying "none" for a long, long time.

Sections
Shortcuts