Name the 4 Conferences...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Name the 4 Conferences...

In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences...:
    [QUOTE]Bst. Buf. Fld. Mtl. Ott. TB TO       Vezina Conference Car. NJD NYR NYI PHL PITS WSH   Hart Conference chic colu dal det min nsh stl         Byng Conference cal edm van ana col la phx           Selke Conference
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE]

Campbell
    Wales
    O'Brien (can bring the O'Brien trophy out of retirement)
    Patrick (can bring the Lester Patrick Cup out of retirement)

Historic names, and no need for new trophies.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Bst. Buf. Fld. Mtl. Ott. TB TO       Vezina Conference Car. NJD NYR NYI PHL PITS WSH   Hart Conference chic colu dal det min nsh stl         Byng Conference cal edm van ana col la phx           Selke Conference
    Posted by orr4neely8[/QUOTE
    i realize "calder" has a cup(ahl champ), and a trophy(nhl rook), but to double up up on all four(award/conf) seems like overkill. i will say, i like it better than recent players' names. who knows...they might get named for corporate sponsors for all we know...that would be terrible. not surprising, but terrible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

North

South

East

West

Doesn't matter muchFoot in mouth

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Another vote for Adams, Smythe, Wales, and Patrick.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ed121501. Show ed121501's posts

I'm a big fan of the good ol days when we had the Adams, Patrick, Norris and Smythe (It gave me a sense of tradition and made it just a little more special). The NHL wanted to get away from that because they thought it would be confusing for the "new fans" of the game that they so desperately want to attract. Thus, the unimaginative Eastern, Western, northeast, southwest......(not confusing but sterile)
    How about a mixture of both
    1 Adams North
    2 Patrick South
    3 Norris Central
    4 Smyth West

The newbie fans can always use North,south, central and west for reference while the traditionalists can go back to using Adams, Patrick. Norris and Smythe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I will personally organize an Occupy the NHL Offices effort if they even consider naming a conference after super hypocrite crybaby mario. ( I assume nobody is referring to claude lemieux lol). besides, the whiner is actually an owner which seems to be a conflict somehow.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences... :
    Campbell
    Wales
    O'Brien (can bring the O'Brien trophy out of retirement)
    Patrick (can bring the Lester Patrick Cup out of retirement) Historic names, and no need for new trophies.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

What?  Name a conference after Greg Campbell?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Adams
    Patrick
    Noriris
    Smythe

I like Kel's suggestion if you want to get serious.  Maybe the a "Bettman" conference cause he has added sooooo many teams to the NHL. Hehehehe

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Naming them after players just won't work.  I like using the names of builders for the conferences; I'd rather they rename the trophies for players.  I never liked it when you could play in the Norris division and win the Norris Trophy (or Smythe, or Adams).

Norris -- /> Orr
    Smythe -- /> Roy (I know, but he won it more than any other player)
    Adams -- /> Bowman (Again, I know, but who else can make a case?)
    Patrick can stay as is.

Other suggestions

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Naming them after players just won't work.  I like using the names of builders for the conferences; I'd rather they rename the trophies for players.  I never liked it when you could play in the Norris division and win the Norris Trophy (or Smythe, or Adams). Norris -- /> Orr Smythe -- /> Roy (I know, but he won it more than any other player) Adams -- /> Bowman (Again, I know, but who else can make a case?) Patrick can stay as is. Other suggestions
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Orr should get his own trophy. Leave the Norris alone, and Give the Robert Gordon Orr Award to the leading scorer among defensemen.

The Adams is fine as is - Jack Adams is a Hall of Fame player and coach, who spent 36 years in management for the Wings (coach and GM). He was one of the first star players the NHL ever had, and revolutionized coaching in the sport, and his name is on the Cup 9 times, same as Bowman. He's one of only a handful of people to win it as a player, coach and GM.

Georges Vezina was the first superstar goaltender in NHL history. He's a Hall of Famer, backstopping the Canadiens for 15 years and 327 consecutive games plus 39 playoffs without a mask. He would of kept going too, but he caught TB and died. He Won two Cups for the Habs, and was the first player inducted into the HHOF. The Vezina Trophy's name is just fine.

If you want change a trophy name, how about the Lady Byng? You could call it the Frank Boucher Memorial Award (he won it 7 times in 8 years, prompting Lady Byng to give him the original trophy to keep).

Or give real names to the Trophies that don't have them yet - NHL |GM of the Year, the NHL +- Award (another option for the name Robert Gordon Orr Award), and the NHL Foundation Player Award (the Willie O'Ree Award maybe?).

Also if you were to rename the Conn Smythe, wouldn't Henri Richard make more sense? Never won the CS, but he has 11 Stanley Cups.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

I heard a suggestion the other day about using the 4 names of the longest serving NHL Commissioners ( Bettman , Campbell, Ziegler and Calder ) . Didn't really think that was a great idea . I would rather see them honour some of the past great players of the game . 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I heard a suggestion the other day about using the 4 names of the longest serving NHL Commissioners ( Bettman , Campbell, Ziegler and Calder ) . Didn't really think that was a great idea . I would rather see them honour some of the past great players of the game . 
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

Can you imagine the outrage if Ziegler was used?

The only one that would be worse would be Eagleson.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences... : Can you imagine the outrage if Ziegler was used? The only one that would be worse would be Eagleson.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

How about Gil Stein ? If he had a vote , he'd vote himself in.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences... : Can you imagine the outrage if Ziegler was used? The only one that would be worse would be Eagleson.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Beat me too it. If they use Bettman and Ziegler, they may as well also use Eagleson and Del Biaggio

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

CheatUm
    FleeceUm
    MockUm
    and
    Howe!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences...:[QUOTE] Another vote for Adams, Smythe, Wales, and Patrick. Posted by bbbfan40[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see that as well ol school it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kegarret. Show kegarret's posts

I was thinking more like:

Wells Fargo
    Bank of America
    Barclays
    Deutshe Bank

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Name the 4 Conferences... : Orr should get his own trophy. Leave the Norris alone, and Give the Robert Gordon Orr Award to the leading scorer among defensemen. The Adams is fine as is - Jack Adams is a Hall of Fame player and coach, who spent 36 years in management for the Wings (coach and GM). He was one of the first star players the NHL ever had, and revolutionized coaching in the sport, and his name is on the Cup 9 times, same as Bowman. He's one of only a handful of people to win it as a player, coach and GM. Georges Vezina was the first superstar goaltender in NHL history. He's a Hall of Famer, backstopping the Canadiens for 15 years and 327 consecutive games plus 39 playoffs without a mask. He would of kept going too, but he caught TB and died. He Won two Cups for the Habs, and was the first player inducted into the HHOF. The Vezina Trophy's name is just fine. If you want change a trophy name, how about the Lady Byng? You could call it the Frank Boucher Memorial Award (he won it 7 times in 8 years, prompting Lady Byng to give him the original trophy to keep). Or give real names to the Trophies that don't have them yet - NHL |GM of the Year, the NHL +- Award (another option for the name Robert Gordon Orr Award), and the NHL Foundation Player Award (the Willie O'Ree Award maybe?). Also if you were to rename the Conn Smythe, wouldn't Henri Richard make more sense? Never won the CS, but he has 11 Stanley Cups.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    This made me laugh for some reason. I think it was how casually you made it sound. Like, "Oh yeah he played in like 300 straight games but then he died." 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I wonder if Bettman has the selling of the naming rights in mind for the  Conferences. It could garner some serious coin.

Then we'd have names of conferences that all men would have an attachment to:

Pepto Bismol
    Preparation H
    Coors Light
    Playboy

Sections
Shortcuts