Names on the Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Names on the Cup

"Currently, in order to have one's name inscribed on the Cup, a player must have played at least 41 games for the championship team during the regular season (provided the player remains with the team when they win the Cup) or at least played in one game of the Final."

To clarify: a player has to be active and dressed for the Finals game, which is how the backup goalies make it on. No word on if a team can leave a name off if they have an eligible player who stinks (looking at you, Luongo).

This would mean no Cup engraving for Wheeler, Stuart & Hunwick, as well as no Kampfer (38 games), Hnidy, Caron (23 games), Bartkowski (6 games), Hamill (3 games), Arniel (1 game) and....Savard (25 games).

Players for Vancouver currently ineligible include Tanev (29 games), Schaefer (16), Volpatti (15), Desbiens (12), Rypien (9) and Perrault (7).

But get this. Alex Bolduc would get on there. He only skated 24 games for VAN during the season, but had 1:39 of ice time in Game #1 of the Finals.

How do you feel about the rule that a player who moves on from a team cannot get on the Cup? What about the 41 game rule, or that anyone who plays one second in the Finals gets in regardless of everything else? What about guys who play all year and in earlier rounds, but not the Finals?

I believe there are ways to get past the rules, but they don't seem to be set. Does Boston lobby for Savard, when Caron played about the same? Or how about Wheeler (58 games) or Stuart (31)? Does Vancouver lobby for Tanev?

I actually don't care about VAN, but don't want to upset the hockey gods.

At least there are rings to hand out. Your thoughts on all this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Names on the Cup

as long as it reads "2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins", they can put jeffrey dahmer's name on it, for all i care. GO BRUINS, 2 MORE WINS!!!!!!!! asmaha, you are definitely the go to guy when it comes to stats, good on you. most of us are too damn lazy to find this stuff(or incapable-like myself), thanks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Didn't someone put a dog's name on there or something? Classic. No Marc Savard, but Rover McFlufflyface is ok.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from HabsNo16. Show HabsNo16's posts

In Response to Re: Names on the Cup:
    [QUOTE]Didn't someone put a dog's name on there or something? Classic. No Marc Savard, but Rover McFlufflyface is ok.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Dont you know how to read Wikipedia? His name was Fluffy Pierre Sillyribs Esquire and he was Guy LaFleurs French Poodle.
    So ignorant of hockey.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

why not "wolverine" in place of brad marchand? that's his new nickname on nhl on the fly!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

WOW if I were Marc Savard I would be pretty POd at that for sure. The red Sox voted for Nomar to get his payoff share but that's not the issue it's really about how much room there is on the cup isn't Asmaha ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]WOW if I were Marc Savard I would be pretty POd at that for sure. The red Sox voted for Nomar to get his payoff share but that's not the issue it's really about how much room there is on the cup isn't Asmaha ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I keep finding articles that reference "if there's room on the Cup..." but can't seem to see how many spaces a team gets.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I dont know all the ins and out of players getting on the cup.  HOWEVER, in my opinion, it should come down to a TEAM and GM decision on players who have not met the criteria set forth, for whatever reason.  Thats pretty simple.  Maybe a spot or two for guys who had been injured, like Savard, because has been a HUGE part of this team.  I would feel bad for him, but honestly, its not like he really helped them win it this year.  So, it is what it is I guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Would be a shame if Savvy doesn't get his name on there. He's been a big part of club for some time. Maybe exceptions in the case of players having been injured applies? As for Bruins that have been moved to other teams, I don't see that as being as contentious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Canadianfan6. Show Canadianfan6's posts

Interesting, I think if a player gets injured like a Savy he should be included.But if a player is traded like a Wheeler then No.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

you'll need a giant magnified glass to read the names of the guys. No worries, hand them all cup rings.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

savard would be on there...guarantee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

Wheeler, lol.  Completely forgot about that guy.  Feels like it has been years since he played for Boston.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuckNakie. Show BuckNakie's posts

The NHL makes exceptions to the rule about games played etc for players on LTIR etc

Here's the link

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/stanleycupbunker/f/stanley_cup_nam.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, those are the players that MUST be engraved.  Other important people CAN be, the team submits a list. Vladimir Konstantinov is on the 1998 Stanley Cup despite not playing a single game that season.  Trainers and other staff can be included.  I can guarentee you that Savard would be on the cup if the Bruins win, and probably also Hnidy and Kampfer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.

Sav's name would be petitioned for sure.

Players traded are stiffs and will not be on it.

Believe the dog was a red wing owner's family pet, was not Don Cherry's Blue.

Kamp and Hnidy might get consideration Kamp more so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Why on Earth should Savard have his name on the Cup?  The only effect he's had has come from him not being there.

He is no Stanley Cup champion.  He had his chance.  Those teams he was on failed twice.  Without Savard, this team has been able to acquire other talent.  That talent makes up this Stanley Cup run.

I hope Savard lives a long, happy, healthy life and I hope he never returns to the Boston Bruins.  With him, they couldn't get past the second round.  Without him, they're two wins from winning it all.

Savard's name goes on their right after Dennis Wideman's. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

[QUOTE]Why on Earth should Savard have his name on the Cup?  The only effect he's had has come from him not being there. He is no Stanley Cup champion.  He had his chance.  Those teams he was on failed twice.  Without Savard, this team has been able to acquire other talent.  That talent makes up this Stanley Cup run. I hope Savard lives a long, happy, healthy life and I hope he never returns to the Boston Bruins.  With him, they couldn't get past the second round.  Without him, they're two wins from winning it all. Savard's name goes on their right after Dennis Wideman's. 
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

ARe you saying he hasn't contributed to the team significantly enough, therefore doesn't deserve to be on it? I think you have to take his tenure into consideration here. I'll be shocked if they don't include him.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Names on the Cup : ARe you saying he hasn't contributed to the team significantly enough, therefore doesn't deserve to be on it? I think you have to take his tenure into consideration here. I'll be shocked if they don't include him.....
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]
    I will say it.  Does this mean Glen Murray and Joe Thorton should be on there as well.  If he doesnt meet the criteria he doesnt meet the criteria. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]He meets the criteria. He is a a valued member of this team, as I would assure you everyone in the locker room would attest. Hockey is a team game and every member of the team will be included. Savvy, by anyones standards, should and will be on.
    Posted by hendy77[/QUOTE]
    Why?  What has he done this year?  Doesnt meet the criteria to have his name on the cup is what I meant.  He doesnt deserve to have his name on the cup. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Guys, please do not jinx this. there's still 2 very big games to win! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]He meets the criteria. He is a a valued member of this team, as I would assure you everyone in the locker room would attest. Hockey is a team game and every member of the team will be included. Savvy, by anyones standards, should and will be on.
    Posted by hendy77[/QUOTE]

Not by my standards.  He did two things this year:

1.  Play terrible

2.  Free up cap space to this 2-2 in the Cup Final team could be assembled.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Names on the Cup : ARe you saying he hasn't contributed to the team significantly enough, therefore doesn't deserve to be on it? I think you have to take his tenure into consideration here. I'll be shocked if they don't include him.....
    Posted by 4everbruins[/QUOTE]

He's added as much to this team as Zach Hamill.

What he did previously is irrelevant.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, those are the players that MUST be engraved.  Other important people CAN be, the team submits a list. Vladimir Konstantinov is on the 1998 Stanley Cup despite not playing a single game that season.  Trainers and other staff can be included.  I can guarentee you that Savard would be on the cup if the Bruins win, and probably also Hnidy and Kampfer.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Hnidy?  Not sure I see a reason to make an exception for a guy who played fewer minutes over multiple games tahn Kaberle generally plays in one game. Caron, maybe?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I don't want to think about things like that.  I can only think about Game 5.