NAS the GM

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Re: NAS the GM

In Response to Re: NAS the GM:
    In Response to Re: NAS the GM : The proper question would be for "Webber" or "Yandle".  It would be "a Sedin" or "a Kostystin Sister", because there are two. To answer the question, look back at my initial reponse to this thread.In referece to the Thornton trade, it was a once-in-a-lifetime bad deal.  Expecting something like that to happen again is like expecting a Neely for Pederson deal to be repeated.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Your response was very general/non-committal.   I'd like to know what you think.  Is either of those two mentioned worth going after, given the B's current state, and if so what would you send the other way to get it done?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : Your response was very general/non-committal.   I'd like to know what you think.  Is either of those two mentioned worth going after, given the B's current state, and if so what would you send the other way to get it done?
    Posted by scooter244

"I would love to see the Bruins acquire a high scoring winger and/or a #2 defenseman.  In order to get either, a combination of Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, the TOR first round pick and Rask have to be part of the equation.  You have to give to get in this world."

I think it's pretty clear right there.  I'd prefer they didn't trade Bergeron or Lucic.  I don't know exactly what a GM might want from the Bruins, but I would guess that they'll demand the Toronto pick if the Boston pick is offered. 

Also keep in mind that neither team should have any interest in parting with players who are potential franchise defensemen.  Might as well put Doughty, E. Johnson and Duncan Keith on the list.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : "I would love to see the Bruins acquire a high scoring winger and/or a #2 defenseman.  In order to get either, a combination of Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, the TOR first round pick and Rask have to be part of the equation.  You have to give to get in this world." I think it's pretty clear right there.  I'd prefer they didn't trade Bergeron or Lucic.  I don't know exactly what a GM might want from the Bruins, but I would guess that they'll demand the Toronto pick if the Boston pick is offered.  Also keep in mind that neither team should have any interest in parting with players who are potential franchise defensemen.  Might as well put Doughty, E. Johnson and Duncan Keith on the list.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Are you a politician?  That's the kind of answer I'd expect from someone running for city council.  In order to get one of two unnamed players from an unnamed team you would give up an unnamed combination of 6 Bruins assets.  Wow, way to stick your neck out.  Let the debate begin. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : "I would love to see the Bruins acquire a high scoring winger and/or a #2 defenseman.  In order to get either, a combination of Krecji, Lucic, Bergeron, Horton, the TOR first round pick and Rask have to be part of the equation.  You have to give to get in this world." I think it's pretty clear right there.  I'd prefer they didn't trade Bergeron or Lucic.  I don't know exactly what a GM might want from the Bruins, but I would guess that they'll demand the Toronto pick if the Boston pick is offered.  Also keep in mind that neither team should have any interest in parting with players who are potential franchise defensemen.  Might as well put Doughty, E. Johnson and Duncan Keith on the list.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I will say I agree that in order for anybody to think that PC is serious about bringing in a big name, people will have to realize that it's going to be Tor's pick that is offered moreso than the B's pick. As far as moving the Bergeron's, Lucic's & Rask types. That kind of makes the trade invalid wouldn't it? I know the B's would have to give up something to get something, but to give up your #1 center, your future goalie, or your top scoring winger in the process is kind of making a move just for the sake of making a move without an improvement. I think DK could get us something that could improve the team, but then who takes the number 2 spot at center?

This talk of Chris Phillips coming over doesn't make me grin, or jump for joy as an upgrade. Mike Fisher, Umberger or a Mason Raymond could be nice additions, but are they the type of impact players that Dave Poulin & Bryan Propp were in 1990? Still wish the B's went after Bieksa in the off season. I like his jam & he reminds me a Shane Hnidy with more offence. Can be a band-aid sometimes which Chris Phillips isn't, but I think Bieska fits with this team better. An Eric Brewer would be nice, but at what cost?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : Are you a politician?  That's the kind of answer I'd expect from someone running for city council.  In order to get one of two unnamed players from an unnamed team you would give up an unnamed combination of 6 Bruins assets.  Wow, way to stick your neck out.  Let the debate begin. 
    Posted by scooter244

That's exactly right.  I don't play the hypothetical trade creation game.  I find it annoying, not amusing.  I can give you ideas on what is possible, but nothing concrete because I don't have the insider info needed.

The rest of it is just guesswork.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : That's exactly right.  I don't play the hypothetical trade creation game.  I find it annoying, not amusing.  I can give you ideas on what is possible, but nothing concrete because I don't have the insider info needed. The rest of it is just guesswork.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If you don't play it why not just stay off the threads instead of getting your post count to climb?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : That's exactly right.  I don't play the hypothetical trade creation game.  I find it annoying, not amusing.  I can give you ideas on what is possible, but nothing concrete because I don't have the insider info needed. The rest of it is just guesswork.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

"annoying, not amusing".....I fully agree.

Impact players coming in, equals impact players going out.  Other GM's aren't idiots.  They won't pull the trigger unless they see improvement on their end too.
    If it's anyones goal here....to have something logical, or thought provoking to say...........
    Stay away from trade talk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

All of these probables fail to take into consideration how an "impact " defenseman would fit into Julien's system. The realistic target will be someone with the skills and smarts of an AAron Ward. then eliminate Boychuck for whatever.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Souray is a bum with a big contract that doesn't expire until the end of next season.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Hey hey !  do  have to bribe you ?  I promise a set of free tickets if you promote Sheldon.  LOL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

"I can also tell you that if a player is good enough to put this team over the top to make it a true contender, Wheeler, Ryder, Hamill, Boychuk or Boston's second round pick are not going to be the main compensation going back."

truer words....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neecic. Show Neecic's posts

impact in = impact out, not necessarily, look at the kessel deal, impact out, potential impact in.  prospects and picks to a rebuilding team are not out of the question.  I would rather not see the 1st round picks get traded but they do hold alot of value.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris3366. Show chris3366's posts

If you have determined that your team is out of the playoffs, and that you cannot extend a RFA in a way that is beneficial to your club financially, then isn't it your responsibility to get the best deal you can for a player?  It may not be a totally even trade.

Sometimes the team giving up the RFA wins and sometimes the team getting the RFA wins. 

The Shea Weber trade proposal does appear to be a little in the Bruins favor but if Nashville were to decide they were out of the playoffs (which they are not at the moment) and they couldn't extend Shea responsibily and that fantasy trade was the best they could get wouldn't it be preudent to take it or hope that Shea gets a huge offer sheet? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

impact in = impact out, not necessarily, look at the kessel deal, impact out, potential impact in.  prospects and picks to a rebuilding team are not out of the question.  I would rather not see the 1st round picks get traded but they do hold alot of value.
    Posted by Seabasshole

Oh yeah, absolutely right Seabass.  Rebuilders, and those figuring they can't re sign the player love picks, but they won't part with affordable impact players, without something coming back.  That's what they build around.
      In the B's situation though(and we'll know more about that in an hour), impact players have to go to free up the necessary cap space.
    The Kessel trade is the opposite of a contender getting to the next level in the same year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's not politics, scooter.  He doesn't see the point of posting wishful thinking deals.  A politician would find a safe way to play your game: "It would be great to have a young, local kid with talent like Yandle's, and if you could get him without giving up a core player like Krejci, even if it meant using draft picks or emerging players like Wheeler or Colborne, then you'd have to think about it.  The real question is who you consider your core when you have a Yandle-type player."

Part of this is the e-harmony principle - people pick a player they like and then start nickel and diming a fantasy deal where the Bruins not only get the player but they don't have to pay a lot for him.  Sort of like dreaming that you'll meet Giselle on e-harmony, take her to Denny's, and she'll melt into your arms.  Even if you're "realistic" and offer a core player off the Bruin roster, what are you really doing?  If it's just chasing a guy to make a big trade, or just because you like that player, it's stupid because it probably doesn't need to be that guy specifically.  If it's thinking about what would make the team better, then it should be all about what skills or attributes the team needs to add and what it can afford to give up to get them.

This is exactly what NAS has done here by using a bit of typical shorthand and saying the team needs a #2 defenseman and a scoring winger; for this he's listed six assets that you'd have to be willing to part with to make such a deal - Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton, Rask, and the Tor#1.  Of these, he prefers not to deal Bergeron or Lucic.  Essentially, this says that if the Bruins can add one of those two types of player - no names, just that type of player - by giving up some packaged including one of Krejci, Horton, the Tor #1, and Rask, he'd consider it.  Note, though, that this also recognizes the huge range of variables involved in any trade, from a GM deciding to just dump a star (a la Thornton deal) to acquiring a pending UFA, to overpaying on a chance to add a superstar in his mid 20s (a la Kovalchuk), to picking up an aging superstar who wants one last shot.

The Bruins should get every superstar in the league as long as they only have to give up Wheeler, Hamill, Stuart, Ryder, and their own 1st rounder to do it.  That blanket statement summarizes at least 1000 posts over 50 threads in the last year - easy. Most trade speculation is Eklund or e-harmony.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Souray signed from waivers will only be 2.7M for next year.

RFA's are worth more at deadline than a UFA because they are still owned by the team holding their rights, so if they sign with someone else you can match or take the picks to replace them.

UFA's if not signed, then there is nothing coming back, it is just a walk out.  They have value through the season, the closer it gets to the deadline, it can get more expensive or cheaper, depends on the players and the available buyers and the available caps.

On the B's, impact players do not have to go, we have about 5M cap going forward from today.  We have several players under 3M cap that are borderline impact, they are valued players and probably more valued in the league than in this forum.  Wheeler at 2.2 is very valuable especially since he is listed as a RFA, has loads of talent, is a hard worker(yes he is) and is wanted everywhere but this forum.

Wheeler plus cap = 7.2
    Fer + cap  = 7.25
    Seid + cap = 8.25
    Ryder + cap = 9M

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

It's not politics, scooter.  He doesn't see the point of posting wishful thinking deals.  A politician would find a safe way to play your game: "It would be great to have a young, local kid with talent like Yandle's, and if you could get him without giving up a core player like Krejci, even if it meant using draft picks or emerging players like Wheeler or Colborne, then you'd have to think about it.  The real question is who you consider your core when you have a Yandle-type player." Part of this is the e-harmony principle - people pick a player they like and then start nickel and diming a fantasy deal where the Bruins not only get the player but they don't have to pay a lot for him.  Sort of like dreaming that you'll meet Giselle on e-harmony, take her to Denny's, and she'll melt into your arms.  Even if you're "realistic" and offer a core player off the Bruin roster, what are you really doing?  If it's just chasing a guy to make a big trade, or just because you like that player, it's stupid because it probably doesn't need to be that guy specifically.  If it's thinking about what would make the team better, then it should be all about what skills or attributes the team needs to add and what it can afford to give up to get them. This is exactly what NAS has done here by using a bit of typical shorthand and saying the team needs a #2 defenseman and a scoring winger; for this he's listed six assets that you'd have to be willing to part with to make such a deal - Krejci, Bergeron, Lucic, Horton, Rask, and the Tor#1.  Of these, he prefers not to deal Bergeron or Lucic.  Essentially, this says that if the Bruins can add one of those two types of player - no names, just that type of player - by giving up some packaged including one of Krejci, Horton, the Tor #1, and Rask, he'd consider it.  Note, though, that this also recognizes the huge range of variables involved in any trade, from a GM deciding to just dump a star (a la Thornton deal) to acquiring a pending UFA, to overpaying on a chance to add a superstar in his mid 20s (a la Kovalchuk), to picking up an aging superstar who wants one last shot. The Bruins should get every superstar in the league as long as they only have to give up Wheeler, Hamill, Stuart, Ryder, and their own 1st rounder to do it.  That blanket statement summarizes at least 1000 posts over 50 threads in the last year - easy. Most trade speculation is Eklund or e-harmony.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Thanks Bookboy....I did get it, I know exactly what NAS was saying, it's not rocket science.  The point was calling someone out for insulting people that are expressing a thought.  Especially when they themselves are unwilling to to leave their comfort zone and propose something better.   
    I Don't think the Webber deal has any chance of happening either, but I have enough class to say it respectfully. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : Thanks Bookboy....I did get it, I know exactly what NAS was saying, it's not rocket science.  The point was calling someone out for insulting people that are expressing a thought.  Especially when they themselves are unwilling to to leave their comfort zone and propose something better.    I Don't think the Webber deal has any chance of happening either, but I have enough class to say it respectfully. 
    Posted by scooter244

Stupid posts deserve blunt reponses.  If people's feelings are going to get hurt on a hockey forum, they should go to Martha's Knitting and Sewing Chat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : If you don't play it why not just stay off the threads instead of getting your post count to climb?
    Posted by callodthedom19

I couldn't care less about my post count.  I don't even know what it is at right now.

I respond to some of them to try to help the poor fool who things the B's are going to get Erik Johnson for Hamill, Colborne and the B's third round pick in 2014.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I actually agree with NAS and how he approaches these trade threads. The vast majority of them are pie in the sky ideas that will never happen, because they only look at what could benefit Boston. They don't look at what we'd have to realistically give up and how that could have a negative impact on the team. They also don't take into consideration the needs of the other team.

I admit that I occassionally float trade ideas, but I don't write about Weber, Doughty, Yandle et al. I post about guys like Tedenby, Foster and Greene. I think when you're looking at trades you need to take off the Bruins coloured glasses and try to see what is actually reasonable and realistic, and how the trade could benefit both sides.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

My wife's on the Martha Stewart board.  Someone there is going to get shivved.  You're better of on HFBoards.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM : Are you a politician?  That's the kind of answer I'd expect from someone running for city council.  In order to get one of two unnamed players from an unnamed team you would give up an unnamed combination of 6 Bruins assets.  Wow, way to stick your neck out.  Let the debate begin. 
    Posted by scooter244

OK, you are just starting to give me a Savard-esque headache.

You started this thread because NAS hurts your feelings by brutally slamming stupid trade suggestions.  Your idea was to bait him into making a trade suggestion so you could somehow gain some satisfaction by criticizing him.

In an incredibly shocking development, NAS refused to take the bait and is not interested in giving you any kind of answer that you can somehow try to punish him with.

You, on the other hand, cannot seem to see your grand plan has gone awry.

Please stop.

Here's a suggestion... do what people do on opinion sites when someone annoys them.  Ignore them.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Souray signed from waivers will only be 2.7M for next year. RFA's are worth more at deadline than a UFA because they are still owned by the team holding their rights, so if they sign with someone else you can match or take the picks to replace them. UFA's if not signed, then there is nothing coming back, it is just a walk out.  They have value through the season, the closer it gets to the deadline, it can get more expensive or cheaper, depends on the players and the available buyers and the available caps. On the B's, impact players do not have to go, we have about 5M cap going forward from today.  We have several players under 3M cap that are borderline impact, they are valued players and probably more valued in the league than in this forum.  Wheeler at 2.2 is very valuable especially since he is listed as a RFA, has loads of talent, is a hard worker(yes he is) and is wanted everywhere but this forum. Wheeler plus cap = 7.2 Fer + cap  = 7.25 Seid + cap = 8.25 Ryder + cap = 9M
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT

Best post on this thread.  Goat, the Bs need to do something.  I am not a Souray fan at all, I'd rather have Kaberle if anything at all.  I am in full agreement the Bs could sacrifice picks and some marginal young players to gain a chance to get a solid defenseman or forward.  More than likely nothing major will happen which is fine as well for the picks will provide some more chances this summer to gain forwards.   

As for NAS, I am record on his demeanor.  He would not say that to me in public face to face.  YET, he is absolutely right when he says a defenseman and forward are needed. ANOTHER THING, the thread has NAS name on it, me thinks he has a right to respond.  If you don't like what he says move on.  I enjoy his point of view overall!  

BTW I never ever block individuals, I read new posters and determine if I will read their stuff again then and in other threads.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: NAS the GM :  As for NAS, I am record on his demeanor.  He would not say that to me in public face to face.  
    Posted by islamorada

Hang on.  What wouldn't I say?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DAVESTAPLETON86. Show DAVESTAPLETON86's posts

where's that"most annoying thing about the board" thread when you need it?

oh ive found it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'd prefer not to have threads that are primarily about posters and not about hockey.

NAS is NAS, I'm kind of tired of both the people criticizing him and sticking up for him.

He's a good, smart poster and really makes me laugh sometimes; other times he can be a d*ck.

Fair enough for everyone?  NAS?

Sections
Shortcuts