Nashville matches offer sheet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

Nashville matches offer sheet

as per TSN

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Re: Nashville matches offer sheet

And really, the only real option for the Preds.  If they don't match, what type of a message does it send to their fans and future potential free agents?  They showed that they were a competitive team last year -- losing both Suter & Weber would have sent their prospects for success back by years.  Those 4 1st rounders wouldn't have yielded results for years to come, if at all.  In Weber, they know that they have (arguably) the best D-man in the years, and he'll be that for the foreseeable future.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Here's a link to the story at TSN;  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401354

I wonder if the panicking will slow down now?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401354

Now Holmgren will probably make a run at Ryan. Just love reading about the Flyers losing out on another great player. Poor Weber he'll be asking out of Nashville in a few years just like Nash had too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'm suprised they matched, just because of the way the contract is set up.

Hope David Poile stores this one in the memory bank.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I'll say it here also.
    Good for them !
    I still think they'll do a big trade in a year or two. It'll be better than the 4 first round Philly picks.
    Now Mr. Weber you can stop shopping for a house in Pennsylvania. HA !                     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: Nashville matches offer sheet:
    In Response to Re: Nashville matches offer sheet : Any word out of Van as to where Loungo might be traded too? Wondering for fatnasy hockey purposes. He must be getting dealt.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup

I've been out of town on vacation for the past week.  Didn't check the news once while I was away, so I'm completely out of the loop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'll say it here also. Good for them ! I still think they'll do a big trade in a year or two. It'll be better than the 4 first round Philly picks. Now Mr. Weber you can stop shopping for a house in Pennsylvania. HA !                     
    Posted by BsLegion

Actually, Legion, this is another of those ideas that has gone viral but I don't see it unless Weber forces it to happen.  They'll be eating $27M in the first 11 months, $54M over the first four years.  After that, they get him for the rest of that looooong contract for basically the same amount of money.  Those are the years that start to tilt the value back in your direction - so it's much more palatable to keep him around.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Nashville matches offer sheet : Actually, Legion, this is another of those ideas that has gone viral but I don't see it unless Weber forces it to happen.  They'll be eating $27M in the first 11 months, $54M over the first four years.  After that, they get him for the rest of that looooong contract for basically the same amount of money.  Those are the years that start to tilt the value back in your direction - so it's much more palatable to keep him around.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Agreed, if anything they trade to improve the team around Weber and Rinne.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

i doubt weber will play for any team other than the preds before 2022

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Book, good call on this... I wasn't convinced they could afford it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I read a report where his agent said what one would expect him to say; that Weber has always been happy in Nashville, the Preds were the only NHL team he's ever known and that he was pleased to be living and playing in Nashville.  This may well be true but after signing the offer sheet wasn't it revealed Weber wanted to play for Philly because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding program thus making his agents words seem hollow on Weber's behalf? 

I don't doubt his teammates are glad to have a player of his talents back on board but I wonder if there would be a chance some may think "this guy didn't want to be here but now he's forced to stay" or is all forgiven?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I read a report where his agent said what one would expect him to say; that Weber has always been happy in Nashville, the Preds were the only NHL team he's ever known and that he was pleased to be living and playing in Nashville.  This may well be true but after signing the offer sheet wasn't it revealed Weber wanted to play for Philly because he didn't want to be part of a rebuilding program thus making his agents words seem hollow on Weber's behalf?  I don't doubt his teammates are glad to have a player of his talents back on board but I wonder if there would be a chance some may think "this guy didn't want to be here but now he's forced to stay" or is all forgiven?
    Posted by RichHillOntario

He could've waited to reach UFA status if he really wanted to leave.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I was surprised his agent had so much to say the other day about how great a fit it was in Philly, blah, blah, because there was such a good chance the Preds would match. Their franchise would have been junk otherwise.

Thing is, if Weber really wanted to play elsewhere, he scr3wed himself signing a RFA contract.  then the preds match and that's the end of it.  like goodnews said, he could have just waited a year and played anywhere he wanted.

Now Poile readies his RFA offer for Giroux, whenever that is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In Response to Re: Nashville matches offer sheet : He could've waited to reach UFA status if he really wanted to leave.
    Posted by goodnewsbears

True.  He's back with the team he attempted to leave. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I don't know if Weber's signing an offer sheet says "I want to play specifically for Philly" quite so much as it says "I want $110M."

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I agree Tom - some fans will eat this guy alive for signing the offer sheet, saying he's not committed to the team, he wants out of town, good riddance, etc. Truth is, the guy didn't know what type of offer Nashville would pony up, and signing the Philly sheet was akin to him deciding that he'd take $110M from either town. Add to that the very good likelihood that Nashville was going to match, and essentially what he did was negotiate the terms with another GM, and make it easy on Poile.

I think this is great for the Preds, and hopefully they can make some moves at the deadline to get another round win under their belts, if not more. The fans truly have a passion for hockey (who knew?), and Trotz is a class act.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In reality Weber had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He did not dictate the terms of the offer(wouldn't that be tampering?) and Snider offered an amount he was pretty sure Nashville (or anyone else) wouldn't/couldn't match.

Snider must be cursing under his breath and hating the thought of attending the next owner's meeting to whine about  players' salaries.

In the end, Shea Weber will be tending the blueline for the Preds, buying team dinners, contributing to local charities with Mike and Carrie and life goes on...

I don't think he will be sitting around wishing he wasn't in Music City saying,
    'I don't want to be part of a rebuilding club' as he collects an average $2.45M per month for the next 11 months(just the tip of the $ iceberg).

Good on him...shame on the owners for this one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't blame Weber, when he was due to become a free-agent those long term deals may no longer be allowed under the new CBA.

Holmgren, signing a player to an offer sheet was bad enough, but the way he constructed it, in hopes that it would deter Nashville opened the door even further for Poile to retaliate.

From what I understand/read this is kind of frowned upon among the league G.M's. Remember when Kessel ws an RFA? I'll give Burke this, when he aqquired the pick that would enable him to sign Kessel to an offer sheet he called Chiarelli and told him. He even added the second first round pick even though he didnt have to, and now he's taken a beating over it. This to me, just reinforces my belief at how G.M's have an unwritten rule not to pork each other.

Now if I'm Claude Girouxs agent, I realize this and don't let him sign in Philly knowing theres a  chance Poile may open the vault just to bend Holmgren over the fire.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Now if I'm Claude Girouxs agent, I realize this and don't let him sign in Philly knowing theres a  chance Poile may open the vault just to bend Holmgren over the fire.
    Posted by kelvana33

I'm 100% ok with this happening :)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good for Nashville. They have had a solid fan base ever since Northern Telecom based it's USA operations there, while some of the manufacturing was in Raleigh. Those transplants learned to enjoy the culture, temperature, and lower cost of living, plus golf year round. A far cry from Toronto and Quebec.  Poile has always had some replacements for Suter, but not both at the same time. Trotz has been working to build a better offense, but still has some challenges up front.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I don't blame Weber, when he was due to become a free-agent those long term deals may no longer be allowed under the new CBA. Holmgren, signing a player to an offer sheet was bad enough, but the way he constructed it, in hopes that it would deter Nashville opened the door even further for Poile to retaliate. From what I understand/read this is kind of frowned upon among the league G.M's. Remember when Kessel ws an RFA? I'll give Burke this, when he aqquired the pick that would enable him to sign Kessel to an offer sheet he called Chiarelli and told him. He even added the second first round pick even though he didnt have to, and now he's taken a beating over it. This to me, just reinforces my belief at how G.M's have an unwritten rule not to pork each other. Now if I'm Claude Girouxs agent, I realize this and don't let him sign in Philly knowing theres a  chance Poile may open the vault just to bend Holmgren over the fire.
    Posted by kelvana33

This is why he went for the homerun instead of waiting until he was a ufa.We'll never know if he really wanted to leave Nashville or not, he just might have used Philly to get the type of deal he wanted to stay in Nashville.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good for Nashville. They have had a solid fan base ever since Northern Telecom based it's USA operations there, while some of the manufacturing was in Raleigh. Those transplants learned to enjoy the culture, temperature, and lower cost of living, plus golf year round. A far cry from Toronto and Quebec.  Poile has always had some replacements for Suter, but not both at the same time. Trotz has been working to build a better offense, but still has some challenges up front.
    Posted by bogie6

Now theres a good post, when you say Poile has a replcement for Suter I'm thinking Ellis. Don't know if he'll be as good. especially off the bat, but not a bad guy to fill in. High ceiling for him.

Sections
Shortcuts