Nathon Hortons playoff chances

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Nathon Hortons playoff chances

The Bruins need to be very carful and not make the same mistake they made with Marc Savard and prepare to move ahead without Nathon Horton for the 2012 playoffs. the best move would be holding him out for next season in my humble opinion. i dont believe we will be seeing Horts in the playoffs. it sucks but it is what it is.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances

I think they're doing what you're thinking right now.  After the setback when he tried to skate over a month ago, I think the decision was made to hold him out until the playoffs no matter how he feels.  He's doing his off-ice workouts, and there's been no word I've seen that he's backsliding at all.

You can point at two past examples with this team - one is Savard coming back too soon, and the other is the team deciding to keep Bergeron's health first and hold him out of the Habs series a few years back even though he might have made a difference between a series win and a series loss.  I don't think they're looking for Horton to be a saviour, so they'll probably take it easy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

A player can still tell his team i'm not ready even after the team doctors have cleared them. Savard told the team he was ok, feeling good enough to play against the Flyers he played.

If Horton gets clearance to play by the team doctors to go ahead into the playoffs it will then be up to Nathan. I am confident that both players know what they can and can't do on the ice physically or mentally.

The real good thing is Horton can consult with Bergeron and Savard on the decision.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from inflamedcolon. Show inflamedcolon's posts

In Response to Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances:
    [QUOTE]I think they're doing what you're thinking right now.  After the setback when he tried to skate over a month ago, I think the decision was made to hold him out until the playoffs no matter how he feels.  He's doing his off-ice workouts, and there's been no word I've seen that he's backsliding at all. You can point at two past examples with this team - one is Savard coming back too soon, and the other is the team deciding to keep Bergeron's health first and hold him out of the Habs series a few years back even though he might have made a difference between a series win and a series loss.  I don't think they're looking for Horton to be a saviour, so they'll probably take it easy.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

I agree with the highlighted statement above.  They decided long ago to keep him out until the playoffs no matter how he felt.  They know the regular season doesn't mean squat so they figured they would play it safe and bring him back when it matters. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

What I don't get is that he working out off the ice, but no skating.

I would expect that if he's working out off ice, then he would be also working out on ice ALONE.  Or is his balance so affected it's dangerous for him to skate?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's a heart-rate thing.  It's easier for them to keep him working at a defined level of effort off-ice than on where he might be feeling good and decide it's time for a little show-boating only to push too hard and relapse.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Just about any player will say he's ready to go if cleared by a doctor (unless he plays for Vancouver and his dress is too tight).  So, these decisions have to be made by the Docs and management ALONE and leave Nathan out of the decision making process.

It is the Bruins' responsibility to protect Horton.  Anyone who's spent any time around hockey players knows they don't get paid to think.  Thats PC & company's job.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The problem, SoxFan, is that asking the player how he feels is still one of the main components of diagnosing concussions and recovery.  It's not scientific.  There's nothing they can test or measure to say with certainty that a player has recovered - until they cut up his brain after he passes on.  And so many players feel better quickly, or say they do, that it's hard to avoid the risk of a false recovery.  Taylor Hall was out cold after the hit by Sarich but was up and feeling fine answering questions in front of the media within 24 hours.  He even pointed out the lights for the TV cameras weren't bothering him.  That's why this is so tricky and why management has to think carefully about how long they wait before bringing a guy back.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Wasn't there a scene in that HBO winter classic build up series where Giroux got kneed in the head by Simmonds and was out for awhile. He got cleared for practice and during the practice Laviolette skated up to Giroux and asked him how he felt. Giroux said something like i'm feeling better but didn't say he was ready to go and Laviolette basically said you look great to me, best player on the ice type of thing. The way the conversation went i got the impression Laviolette wanted Giroux in the line up and was putting a little pressure on Claude. Anyway Giroux was back playing pretty quick.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Giesse. Show Giesse's posts

I'd like to see the Bruins hold him out until next season.  He is too valuable an asset, and on the personal side, his health going forward is too important.
    I hope they're leaving the decision "open" for public consumption, and for strategic advantage.
    This, of course, with 20-20 hindsight, and with Savard and Bergeron as cautionary tales.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

don't see horton coming back this year.  20/20 hindsight, but kind of wish chia would have re-signed ryder. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]The problem, SoxFan, is that asking the player how he feels is still one of the main components of diagnosing concussions and recovery.  It's not scientific.  There's nothing they can test or measure to say with certainty that a player has recovered - until they cut up his brain after he passes on.  And so many players feel better quickly, or say they do, that it's hard to avoid the risk of a false recovery.  Taylor Hall was out cold after the hit by Sarich but was up and feeling fine answering questions in front of the media within 24 hours.  He even pointed out the lights for the TV cameras weren't bothering him.  That's why this is so tricky and why management has to think carefully about how long they wait before bringing a guy back.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Yep, you are absolutely right.  I think the player's input is pretty important in many instances but in the case of long term, terribly serious or significant repeated concussions, the management has to take the choice out of the player's hands to be safe and protect him.

I also think that this is exacerbated at playoff time, when players are feeling an urgency (Savard, Horton) to help the team.  Honestly, I thought the B's were dead last year if Bergeron didn't come back, but deep inside I was very concerned that he was on the ice after missing only 2 games in the Tampa series.

But your point is correct, it's simply not an exact science and the disasterous effects of CTE do not show up until it's too late.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There was another thread on this.  We really have no idea what his health situation is, and you can't base his condition on Savard's. I honestly think Savard never recovered from his initial concussion and to some degree never will. I don't think it had anything to do with him coming back too soon. He didn't take any bad hits in the '10 playoffs and was feeling fine at the end of them. Then the symptoms came back in August and he missed the start of the season, then was done after a relatively minor hit. His play was crap the entire time... I don't think he was ever better, and I don't think it's the second hit that has him out now, I think it was the first, which was extremely violent... but it's not like I'm diagnosing him, so it is just opinion from afar. But many players have PCS, and it doesn't require further impact for symptoms to return throughout the rest of their lives. They simply have long-term brain damage.

With Horton, PC said he is 99% sure he will be back. I'm taking that for what it's worth. We have no idea how he's feeling, but we do know he was back up and about soon after his original blow and that he returned to pre-injury form this season, scoring on pace for 30. The most recent hit was not terrible. I think the reason he is not playing now is probably already an extra precaution. They are ensuring he is 100%. Chiarelli generally doesn't make stuff up. If he was unsure about Horton's health he probably would have answered "i don't know". Saying 99% sure is pretty confident, so I think Horton is probably feeling fine and they are being careful. He'll probably start skating soon and join the team for some warm-up games before the playoffs. When someone has concussion symptoms, they generally aren't making charity appearances getting their head shaved, cheering on the team and so on. I don't think he is hard up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances:[QUOTE] So, these decisions have to be made by the Docs and management ALONE and leave Nathan out of the decision making process. It is the Bruins' responsibility to protect Horton.  Anyone who's spent any time around hockey players knows they don't get paid to think.  Thats PC & company's job. Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

But there is nothin in the CBA that says a team can shut a player down if he is cleared by team doctors ? correct...

Using the Crosby mis diagnosis as an example...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

[QUOTE]There was another thread on this.  We really have no idea what his health situation is, and you can't base his condition on Savard's. I honestly think Savard never recovered from his initial concussion and to some degree never will. I don't think it had anything to do with him coming back too soon. He didn't take any bad hits in the '10 playoffs and was feeling fine at the end of them. Then the symptoms came back in August and he missed the start of the season, then was done after a relatively minor hit. His play was crap the entire time... I don't think he was ever better, and I don't think it's the second hit that has him out now, I think it was the first, which was extremely violent... but it's not like I'm diagnosing him, so it is just opinion from afar. But many players have PCS, and it doesn't require further impact for symptoms to return throughout the rest of their lives. They simply have long-term brain damage. With Horton, PC said he is 99% sure he will be back. I'm taking that for what it's worth. We have no idea how he's feeling, but we do know he was back up and about soon after his original blow and that he returned to pre-injury form this season, scoring on pace for 30. The most recent hit was not terrible. I think the reason he is not playing now is probably already an extra precaution. They are ensuring he is 100%. Chiarelli generally doesn't make stuff up. If he was unsure about Horton's health he probably would have answered "i don't know". Saying 99% sure is pretty confident, so I think Horton is probably feeling fine and they are being careful. He'll probably start skating soon and join the team for some warm-up games before the playoffs. When someone has concussion symptoms, they generally aren't making charity appearances getting their head shaved, cheering on the team and so on. I don't think he is hard up.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right, Oates...

But I've been reading all over the place that a bunch of people tweeted that Bob McKenzie said Horton is not coming back this year...

Can't find anything from Bob himself, but a lot of people are tweeting that...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Sure they can. It's called a "healthy scratch". Ask Joe Corvo. In response to "Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances : But there is nothin in the CBA that says a team can shut a player down if he is cleared by team doctors ? correct... Using the Crosby mis diagnosis as an example... Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Bruins official website has Horton on injured reserve, with Savard.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

It's up to date, as Whitfield is listed as a forward and is on the trip west.

I don't think Horton is coming back this season ... and I don't think he should - #1 his health, #2 his future and #3 the team's future.  Savard rushed back and I expect none of us want the same for Horton.  Take pause now and then see what September brings.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances:[QUOTE]Sure they can. It's called a "healthy scratch". Ask Joe Corvo. In response to "Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances": Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Oh so that's it with the Uh Oh  turnovers he has a concussion we didn't know about. See I got the answer, that's why I come here "easy peasy nice n easy"...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

I have a feeling that if Horton does indeed come back for th eplayoffs it would be a completely uplifting moment for the team considering their history with nasty concussions.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nathon Hortons playoff chances : Just one sucker punch similar to what Lucic throws game after game...and it will be "back to coo coo land for the Monkeyman" (hmm..that has a nice ryhme to it)
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]
    So I guess this is what it's like to cheer for a team that's never won a cup.

22. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts