NBA Finals, Heat vs. Spurs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NBA Finals, Heat vs. Spurs

BASKETBALL IS SO WEAK!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: NBA Finals, Heat vs. Spurs

That is freakin awesome.

This is 100% truth: I did not know the NBA Finals started the other night and did not know what teams were playing. I might have guessed Heat, if asked.

I found out this year that there is an NBA team in Brooklyn and one in Oklahoma (City??)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

There once was Leaf that played the remiander of a game with a broken ankle.  Maybe RHO knows who I'm talking about.

It's just the culture of hockey play through injuries, tough stuff.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

There once was Leaf that played the remiander of a game with a broken ankle.  Maybe RHO knows who I'm talking about.

Bobby Baun in the 60's I think.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:

I've read/heard players would bite their lip in order to draw blood for the 5 minute major.

Not sure if thats tough or crazy, but either way I like it.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Truth!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bobby Baun, game 6 of the 63-64 Finals.  Broke his leg in regulation, then came back in OT to score teh game winner.  Not quite the same as playing on, but almost more impressive - it's OT, man, my team needs me!  Wings would have won the Cup if they won that game; Leafs won it in 7.

[Overheard at the NHLPA press conference]

"So, is that pronounced "Fair" or "Fear"?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Bobby Baun, game 6 of the 63-64 Finals.  Broke his leg in regulation, then came back in OT to score teh game winner.  Not quite the same as playing on, but almost more impressive - it's OT, man, my team needs me!  Wings would have won the Cup if they won that game; Leafs won it in 7.

[Overheard at the NHLPA press conference]

"So, is that pronounced "Fair" or "Fear"?

There ya go !  thanks Books and P49.  How that from dramatics ! what was the RedSox pitcher ...pfffft .  Kidding aside that was great also.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

I think if I was raised a basketball or soccer fan I would be able to watch other sports and enjoy them for what they are. Since I was raised watching hockey I can't watch too many other sports and really appreciate them because I see just how much more hockey players are willing to fight through.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I recall watching the Sox and everytime J.D Drew had to run to a base and slide I would think--he's out a month- and more often than not, that was the case.

Remember Rickey Henderson had to miss some time due to frost bite because he had to put ice on his thigh?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

That is freakin awesome.

This is 100% truth: I did not know the NBA Finals started the other night and did not know what teams were playing. I might have guessed Heat, if asked.

I found out this year that there is an NBA team in Brooklyn and one in Oklahoma (City??)

I found out 30 seconds ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Can anyone name one player on the Spurs?  Tim Duncan?  Or has he retired??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Basketball -- don't you love watching a sport where it appears that there are literally unlimited time outs and it usually takes 30 minutes to play the last 2 minutes of a game? Good post NAS. Wasn't there an article in the Globe the other day where a baseball player couldn't play due to sleeping with his infant in an odd position?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

Come on guys you're better than this.   If you aren't a fan of basketball that's fine.  The fact is it has more fans and players that make far more money.  Because it's far more popular.

I'm a fan of all major sports, but I will honestly say I don't really start paying attention to the B's until the playoffs.

Each sport has it's strengths and weaknesses.  No doubt Campbell showed incredible courage to finish the PK in a key situation. 

Does anyone who follows BBall remember Larry Legend doing a face plant on the Garden floor and returning for the 2nd half?  Fast forward to the 1:00 mark.  This is slow motion.  No equipment.  No padding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpWgcUaeh4

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

Come on guys you're better than this.   If you aren't a fan of basketball that's fine.  The fact is it has more fans and players that make far more money.  Because it's far more popular.

I'm a fan of all major sports, but I will honestly say I don't really start paying attention to the B's until the playoffs.

Each sport has it's strengths and weaknesses.  No doubt Campbell showed incredible courage to finish the PK in a key situation. 

Does anyone who follows BBall remember Larry Legend doing a face plant on the Garden floor and returning for the 2nd half?  Fast forward to the 1:00 mark.  This is slow motion.  No equipment.  No padding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpWgcUaeh4

Why would you come here and tell hockey fans that basketball is more popular?  And then to top it off, you readily admit you're a pink hat hockey fan.  Think before you type.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

NHL Salary Cap 2012-13:  $70M

NBA Salary Cap 2012-13:  $58M

Basketball players make more because there are less of them per team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No one here cares about the popularity of hockey.  In fact, the less popular it is, the fewer people who only watch the playoffs come tell us how to view things.

Basketball is a ridiculous sport played by freaks of nature who act like little soccer playing girls.  It might be the stupidest sport on the planet.  And basketball fans, in general, are just as damn dumb.

Reasons why basketball is stupid:

It's the only one of the four major sports that awards extra points for difficulty of shot.  50 yard field goals aren't worth 4.5 points.  100 foot slap shots aren't worth 1.5 goals.  500 foot home runs aren't worth 1.5 runs.  Extra distance jump shot?  50% extra points for you!

The fans spend half of their night chanting, "Defense! Defense!"  Each team scores 50 times a game.  Seriously, who is playing defense?

It's the only sport where the final 10 seconds of a 20 point blowout can still take 30 minutes.

It's the only sport where the point totals of the first 75% of the game are irrelevant.

It's the only sport where there is music playing over the PA while play is on.

It's the only sport that allows a player free shots at an unguarded goal.

Stupid sport from beginning to end.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I've read/heard players would bite their lip in order to draw blood for the 5 minute major.

Not sure if thats tough or crazy, but either way I like it.

I would not doubt that for a second.  I read years ago former Flyer Ian Laperriere took a slap shot to the mouth and lost seven teeth.  He sat out the second period while getting 100 stitches.  He returned in the third and didn't miss one game that year. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

NHL Salary Cap 2012-13:  $70M

NBA Salary Cap 2012-13:  $58M

Basketball players make more because there are less of them per team.

BBall has a soft cap.  Teams exceed the cap all the time.  Player salaries are more than double the average NHL salary.  They have actual season-long TV contracts.  Makes a difference.  With your logic The New England Revolution and Boston Cannon players should be making a higher salary than the B's players.  I'm sure you know they don't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

BBall has a soft cap.  Teams exceed the cap all the time.  Player salaries are more than double the average NHL salary.  They have actual season-long TV contracts.  Makes a difference.  With your logic The New England Revolution and Boston Cannon players should be making a higher salary than the B's players.  I'm sure you know they don't.

The NHL has season long TV contracts.

No one is talking about soccer or lacrosse, and it has nothing to do with anything I've stated.

Furthermore, no one here cares about basketball.  We don't care how much (fill in guy with seven kids from six different women) makes a year.  It has no bearing at all on our love for hockey, so why should we?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The NHL has season long TV contracts.

No one is talking about soccer or lacrosse, and it has nothing to do with anything I've stated.

Furthermore, no one here cares about basketball.  We don't care how much (fill in guy with seven kids from six different women) makes a year.  It has no bearing at all on our love for hockey, so why should we?

You said:  "Basketball players make more because there are less of them per team."

That's the only reason I mentioned the Revs and Cannons.  It's obviously more complicated than the number of players on each roster.  The TV contracts for the NHL are nowhere near as lucrative as the NBA.

Not saying you shouldn't love hockey at all, but don't disregard financial facts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You said:  "Basketball players make more because there are less of them per team."

That's the only reason I mentioned the Revs and Cannons.  It's obviously more complicated than the number of players on each roster.  The TV contracts for the NHL are nowhere near as lucrative as the NBA.

Not saying you shouldn't love hockey at all, but don't disregard financial facts.

If there were more guys on a basketball team, each player would make less.  Basketball players make more than football players.  Is basketball more popular than football?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Reasons I hate basketball:

A 250lb proffesional athlete runs towards the hoop gets slapped in the hand and falls to the ground like he's been shot.

The 3-point line is now a few feet away from the foul line.

The basket is 10 feet high. Good back in the day, but now these guys dont even really have to jump to dunk. Move that thing up another 3-feet.

As already stated, last 10 seconds of a game, no matter the score, takes forever.

No NBA player can conduct an interview without saying "ya know" at least 21 times.

LeBron James

Is there anyone in that league, not covered in tattoos?

I hate the hip hop, thug mentality, this sport is associated with.

Ron Artest  Metta World Peace

If that profession ever conducted criominal background checks. Games would be canceled.

"We're talking about practice"

Seems some teams change their uniform design once a month.

Are they wearing shorts or pants? I can't tell. Lets call them shpants.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Great list, Kel.  This one killed me!  I've always said that if the bottom of your pants is closer to your ankles than your kneescaps, you're not wearing shorts.  You're wearing capris.  And those are women's clothes.  So you're a cross dresser.  A 7 foot cross dresser.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Reasons I hate basketball:

A 250lb proffesional athlete runs towards the hoop gets slapped in the hand and falls to the ground like he's been shot.

The 3-point line is now a few feet away from the foul line.

The basket is 10 feet high. Good back in the day, but now these guys dont even really have to jump to dunk. Move that thing up another 3-feet.

As already stated, last 10 seconds of a game, no matter the score, takes forever.

No NBA player can conduct an interview without saying "ya know" at least 21 times.

LeBron James

Is there anyone in that league, not covered in tattoos?

I hate the hip hop, thug mentality, this sport is associated with.

Ron Artest  Metta World Peace

If that profession ever conducted criominal background checks. Games would be canceled.

"We're talking about practice"

Seems some teams change their uniform design once a month.

Those guys are the giraffes.

Sections
Shortcuts