Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head

In all my years of watching the NHL, I can't remember a single call for an "Illegal Hit to the Head".  On top of that, I was expecting Thornton to get a 5 minute major and a game misconduct as well as a review by Shanny for such an egregious act, not a run of the mill 2 minute minor. 

So my question is, if there is in fact a penalty on the books for an "Illegal hit to the Head" - that carries only a 2 minute minor to boot, is there also some type of hit to the head that the league thinks is ok, and calls a "Legal Hit to the Head"?

I am thoroughly confused at this point.  I have heard NFL referees make an "Illegal Hit to the Head" call, but never in the NHL.  When was this made a minor penalty by the league?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=64063

Cannot target the head and all the ref saw was Thornton's head snap back which meant the ref wasn't positioned to make the call.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26320

A linesman can't consult a referee on a minor penalty which means neither linesman could skate up to the referee and tell him Thornton missed the head on the play in question. A linesman can consult on major penalties though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

An illegal hit to the head is when:
    Thornton looks like he might have hit the guy in the head, but missed.  Is there a "do over"?  Nope, not in the rule book.  But we can award Thornton a penalty shot which shouldn't make a difference since Mr. Sluggo can't possibly score.  Or can he?  Darn.  He can.  Oh, OK, try to make the right call in the first place from now on.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

They borrowed some of shannies' psycic powers and determined that Thorton was intending to hit him in the head.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head:
    [QUOTE]They borrowed some of shannies' psycic powers and determined that Thorton was intending to hit him in the head.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

Good point Otb, if you roll the video back you will see that he is clearly frustrated about a bad tape job on his blade that leads to this predatory hit on Thornburn.  10 games.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsdad. Show samsdad's posts

The ref simply made a mistake. The guy flinched when Thornton came barreling through trying to land a hit. The ref apologized to Thornton later. It was the jet player ( I forget who) jerking his head back that made it appear to the ref that contact was made with the head.
    No penalty should have been called plus Thornton should have been awarded a free punch in the arm to the guy who flinched.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Its a good thing the jets player got out of Thortons way. Looked like Thorton would have hit his head. Almost looked like thorton was targeting the head. I think Thorton got lucky if you ask me. It was that close "I have my index finger and thumb a 1/4 inch apart" (LOL) from being a head shot and a suspension following.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]The ref simply made a mistake. The guy flinched when Thornton came barreling through trying to land a hit. The ref apologized to Thornton later. It was the jet player ( I forget who) jerking his head back that made it appear to the ref that contact was made with the head. No penalty should have been called plus Thornton should have been awarded a free punch in the arm to the guy who flinched.
    Posted by samsdad[/QUOTE]
    you  brought up a very important point. the words "it made it appear". being an official (wrestling), you can only call what you see. not what you thought happened. not what looked like happened. you are being paid to observe the contest and call it how you SEE it. sometimes calls are missed because a ref cannot see it from the right angle. that's why there are 2 refs and, 2 linesman. 3 more sets of eyes to SEE the action. hopefully they don't miss much. but you can't call what you don't SEE. when that starts happening, the refs have lost credibility. this applies to the lucic game misconduct as well. if the game is too fast for you to follow the action accurately, find a new profession.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head:
    [QUOTE]In all my years of watching the NHL, I can't remember a single call for an "Illegal Hit to the Head".  On top of that, I was expecting Thornton to get a 5 minute major and a game misconduct as well as a review by Shanny for such an egregious act, not a run of the mill 2 minute minor.  So my question is, if there is in fact a penalty on the books for an "Illegal hit to the Head" - that carries only a 2 minute minor to boot, is there also some type of hit to the head that the league thinks is ok, and calls a "Legal Hit to the Head"? I am thoroughly confused at this point.  I have heard NFL referees make an "Illegal Hit to the Head" call, but never in the NHL.  When was this made a minor penalty by the league?
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Obviously, the NHL refs have been watching too much NFL football. What is even more disturbing to me is that with the complete reffing travesty that was the Vancouver game and some of the bogus (made up?) calls that happened last night, there seems like the refs are targeting the B's, like they are trying to bring them down a notch so the rest of the league does not get embarrassed like the Devils did. Anyone have a thought on that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoBruins02169. Show GoBruins02169's posts

Hangnail, there is no major for a hit to the head...

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

48.2 Minor Penalty - For violation of this rule, a minor penalty shall be assessed.

48.3 Major Penalty - There is no provision for a major penalty for this rule.

48.4 Game Misconduct Penalty – There is no provision for a major penalty for this rule.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Where is the reference that the ref apologized to Thorny? If he did, OK he missed the call.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from samsdad. Show samsdad's posts

[QUOTE]Where is the reference that the ref apologized to Thorny? If he did, OK he missed the call.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Bogie...here ya go, bud. This is from the Boston Globe.

After Thornton’s two-minute penalty for an illegal hit to the head of Chris Thorburn - a call that replays indicated was not deserved, and Thornton said referee Greg Kimmerly later apologized for making - the grinding forward again was sent to the penalty box after engaging in the fight with Stuart.

Full article is here:
    http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2012/01/11/they_were_in_good_hands/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]The ref simply made a mistake. The guy flinched when Thornton came barreling through trying to land a hit. The ref apologized to Thornton later. It was the jet player ( I forget who) jerking his head back that made it appear to the ref that contact was made with the head. No penalty should have been called plus Thornton should have been awarded a free punch in the arm to the guy who flinched.
    Posted by samsdad[/QUOTE]

And you can't really blame the Jet, I don't think he was trying to draw the penalty. He just flinched at a close call.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head : And you can't really blame the Jet, I don't think he was trying to draw the penalty. He just flinched at a close call.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Agreed. That would be considered a natural reaction as my first reaction to something close to my face is to jerk away from it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]An illegal hit to the head is when: Thornton looks like he might have hit the guy in the head, but missed.  Is there a "do over"?  Nope, not in the rule book.  But we can award Thornton a penalty shot which shouldn't make a difference since Mr. Sluggo can't possibly score.  Or can he?  Darn.  He can.  Oh, OK, try to make the right call in the first place from now on. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Thornton has evolved into an elite shooter during penalty shots because he plays under an elite coach.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head : you  brought up a very important point. the words "it made it appear". being an official (wrestling), you can only call what you see. not what you thought happened. not what looked like happened. you are being paid to observe the contest and call it how you SEE it. sometimes calls are missed because a ref cannot see it from the right angle.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

You know when you turn your back that the bad guy is going to grab a folding chair!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head : Thornton has evolved into an elite shooter during penalty shots because he plays under an elite coach.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Need Clarification: Illegal Hit to the Head : And you can't really blame the Jet, I don't think he was trying to draw the penalty. He just flinched at a close call.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

And we really can't blame the Atlanta Thrashers fan for defending him.