Need for speed and skill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

Re: Need for speed and skill

In response to marco0863's comment:

In response to bostonfan191646's comment:

Sometimes Marco, players decide to make stretch passes. Sometimes d men don't control their gaps. That's what cause breakaways. And you don't want to skate

look the type of team MTl gas is once where they will force breaks. they had breaks vs Tb too. Boston is a flat footed team (forwards) They also have lackof optimum shooters. this is not a riddle it is there to watch.

Yes the B's forwards are flat footed and are no threat to get behind opposition defenses. Montreal just fell back into a box and gave the B's very little to shoot at. Therefore all the posts. The B's don't have any technically skilled players. That's why they tried to avoid all shootouts this year. They had a skilled player who was great in the shootouts.  I don't dare mention his name!!!!  Lol

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

Except, of course, Eberle has way more talent and upside and is not a penalty magnet.......

[/QUOTE]

Way more talent ? Uh.......hardly. They are comparable in terms of talent.

And as far as penalty magnet........one plays the agitator role for his team while one doesn't. 

In this role............. were you expecting Dave Keon PIMS from Marchand ? Of course he's going to be in the box a lot.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Except, of course, Eberle has way more talent and upside and is not a penalty magnet.......

And as far as penalty magnet........one plays the agitator role for his team while one doesn't. 

In this role............. were you expecting Dave Keon PIMS from Marchand ? Of course he's going to be in the box a lot.

I see it this way too.  What kind of numbers would Eberle put up in CJ's system?  His numbers were only marginally better than Marchand despite a 3:30+ advantage in TOI and while averaging over 3 minutes in PP TOI (to Marchand's 0:29).

I don't get this thinking.  Marchand is a perfect fit for CJ's system and what the B's are trying to do.  A nice blend of speed, skill and truculence.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:

I see it this way too.  What kind of numbers would Eberle put up in CJ's system?  His numbers were only marginally better than Marchand despite a 3:30+ advantage in TOI and while averaging over 3 minutes in PP TOI (to Marchand's 0:29).

I don't get this thinking.  Marchand is a perfect fit for CJ's system and what the B's are trying to do.  A nice blend of speed, skill and truculence.

[/QUOTE]

Also, regarding the Oilers in trade talks...........are they looking for a swap of forwards if they trade Eberle or are they looking for something everyone knows what they're looking for.........defense. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I'd take Eberle for Marchand in a heartbeat.  I agree that they would probably be looking for defensive help though as a priority.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I'd take Eberle for Marchand in a heartbeat.  I agree that they would probably be looking for defensive help though as a priority.

I'll keep Marchand.  This team won't get better by shipping out pieces, for potentially comparable pieces that cost a lot more.  Eberle makes 6 mil a year.  I'm not sure anybody in Edmonton has figured out how to play the pro game yet.  I could see Eberle having huge difficulty in Boston.

It's not easy trading a perennial 20 something goal scorer who is still young,  only making 4.5per for 3 more years,.......... for something of considerably more value.

Couple things about these trade fantasies.  The team concept, as well as the Cap have to be taken into consideration.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

^This^ and when Ward actually has Marchand on the PP he is very effective. I also like Brad's contract, amongst many other intangibles, than Eberle's. The cap is going to be tight the next few years.

Gotta have that agitator.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

Also, regarding the Oilers in trade talks...........are they looking for a swap of forwards if they trade Eberle or are they looking for something everyone knows what they're looking for.........defense. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

that and a frontline goalie....

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to socca10's comment:

I whole-heartedly agree with Stevegm on this topic. B's are not slow, and the 4 remaining teams don't skate circles around them. The B's were 1-1 on the season against both LA and the 'Hawks, 1-3 vs. the Habs (two 1-goal losses, one in a SO, and traded a pair of 4-1 games) and 5-0 vs the Rangers. None of those guys blew the doors off the Bruins.

I liken the loss to the Habs to a plane crash (bear with me here): a commercial airliner is really, really, really safe and rarely goes down for a single "reason." You typically need an extremely unlikely string of cascading bad events to happen for the plane to go down, and that's what happened to the Bruins. Any one of the following would have changed that series significantly:

1. Burying 1 or 2 missed opportunities (posts, missed open nets, etc)

2. Better PK (stop one Subban blast in game 1, series is over in 5)

3. Smarter defending by the B's (aka fewer brain farts by Bart, Miller, Chara, etc)

4. DK, BM, and several others NOT having their worst playoff performances ever at the same time

5. Rask making one or two big saves (read: 5-hole) at a key moment

6. Better officiating, specifically in game 7

7. Fewer or no key injuries (Seids, Kelly, Chara to a lesser degree)

ALL of that had to happen for the B's to lose this series, and that's just a heapload of unlikely all at the same time.

Its a good list, and absulutely true.  However, just for argument, I wonder if there's something tying a lot of these factors together?  I like to talk about matchups, and the Bruins this year consistently played poorly against certain teams... teams that looked an awful lot like Montreal.

I think items 1-5 are related.  The Bruins looked positively out of synch the entire series, almost spooked. They hit posts and missed opportunities because they were panicking, not just "dumb luck."  The PK looked absolutely overwhelmed... and it spilled over into Bs sometimes not playing aggressively in their own end fearing penalties.  The defense made terrible gaffe after terrible gaffe. Certain stars completely disappeared.

My point is, these are not unrelated "aligning of the stars" events.  It was a team malaise that was painfully obvious for anyone who watched it. Without a miracle finish one game or a lucky swipe by a rookie in OT, the Bs could have lost in 5 or 6... we only talk about the luck that didnt go Boston's way.  The fact is the B's were thoroughly outplayed in basically every facet of the game in nearly every game.  The last 2 games were simply dreadful.

Im just not sure what the answer is vs a team like Montreal. Is it more speed?  Less emotional engagement? I disagree the teams were close in the regular season... the Bruins looked poor vs Montreal in all but one game and frankly, they looked a lot like they looked in that playoff series.

I'd like to figure out what about this matchup causes the Bs to choke on offense, get flustered on defense, have ordinary goaltending (nice game last night Henrik) and get lit up like a Christmas tree on the power play.

All of this in not unrelated.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:

I whole-heartedly agree with Stevegm on this topic. B's are not slow, and the 4 remaining teams don't skate circles around them. The B's were 1-1 on the season against both LA and the 'Hawks, 1-3 vs. the Habs (two 1-goal losses, one in a SO, and traded a pair of 4-1 games) and 5-0 vs the Rangers. None of those guys blew the doors off the Bruins.

I liken the loss to the Habs to a plane crash (bear with me here): a commercial airliner is really, really, really safe and rarely goes down for a single "reason." You typically need an extremely unlikely string of cascading bad events to happen for the plane to go down, and that's what happened to the Bruins. Any one of the following would have changed that series significantly:

3. Smarter defending by the B's (aka fewer brain farts by Bart, Miller, Chara, etc)

4. DK, BM, and several others NOT having their worst playoff performances ever at the same time

ALL of that had to happen for the B's to lose this series, and that's just a heapload of unlikely all at the same time.

Its a good list, and absulutely true.  However, just for argument, I wonder if there's something tying a lot of these factors together?  I like to talk about matchups, and the Bruins this year consistently played poorly against certain teams... teams that looked an awful lot like Montreal.

I think items 1-5 are related.  The Bruins looked positively out of synch the entire series, almost spooked. They hit posts and missed opportunities because they were panicking, not just "dumb luck."  The PK looked absolutely overwhelmed... and it spilled over into Bs sometimes not playing aggressively in their own end fearing penalties.  The defense made terrible gaffe after terrible gaffe. Certain stars completely disappeared.

My point is, these are not unrelated "aligning of the stars" events.  It was a team malaise that was painfully obvious for anyone who watched it. Without a miracle finish one game or a lucky swipe by a rookie in OT, the Bs could have lost in 5 or 6... we only talk about the luck that didnt go Boston's way.  The fact is the B's were thoroughly outplayed in basically every facet of the game in nearly every game.  The last 2 games were simply dreadful.

Im just not sure what the answer is vs a team like Montreal. Is it more speed?  Less emotional engagement? I disagree the teams were close in the regular season... the Bruins looked poor vs Montreal in all but one game and frankly, they looked a lot like they looked in that playoff series.

I'd like to figure out what about this matchup causes the Bs to choke on offense, get flustered on defense, have ordinary goaltending (nice game last night Henrik) and get lit up like a Christmas tree on the power play.

Well said.  If it was 1 or 2 games you could call it luck.  Losing 7 of 11 this year is a huge sample size.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

They played to their potential in Game 5.  Watch the first 2 minutes of Game 6 - they came storming out of the gate; it looked like they had control of the series.

THEN: Miller, Rask fumbled that horrible bounce.  From that point on, they played like the wheels came off.  Not singling out Miller or Rask, but the "fluke, early-gift goal" just blew their FOCUS away.  They failed to find it again in Game 7.

It's done with.  But, I agree with SanDog: how many legit contending years do they have with this core? Not playoff dances (even so-so teams make the playoffs), but REAL shots at a Cup?  This season was destined to be the year to take it all….and…poof...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

One could argue about Marchands overall game being better as well. I won't hold it against Eberle though.

•  
  • You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Let's all take a look right now at how the past 4 years have shaken out:

2011 - Consistent year. Their best stretch of hockey was a 6-0 road trip, but they didn't have any month where they absolutely dominated the league. 3rd in the (weaker) conference. Result? Stanley Cup.

2012 - A year of peaks and valleys. Started out 3-7 out of the gate, then went like 20 games without losing in regulation, and were up and down the rest of the year. 2nd in the conference. Result? 1st round exit.

2013 - A year where they won a little bit here and there, but never beat the hell out of any teams. A bunch of inconsistency. Result? 2 minutes away from forcing a game 7 in the finals.

2014 - A year where they were very good all year, and then blew the doors off the rest of the league in March. Result? Possibly the best Bruins team of my lifetime (born in '88) looks incredibly sluggish and drops in the 2nd round.

Notice the trend. The years where they made deep runs were the years where they didn't peak during the regular season. Hockey teams get ONE chance to peak during the season, because it's so chemistry-oriented. Baseball? Ups and downs. Basketball? If you're good, you're good. Football? Same, but to a lesser degree. But hockey teams depend so much on each other to where team chemistry is crucial, and you only have one real chance to capture it. Once you lose it, it's done for the year.

They put together an excellent team this year, but sometimes you just can't control when the peak happens.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

For a team lacking all this speed and skill they've sure done alright for themselves the last few years. A lot of G.M's would trade rosters with Chiarelli in a second.

It's all related, but there really is no "secret" that needs to be figured out.  No one knows what to do to build a champion.  You can only build a good team and hope for the best.  The Cap guarantees some semblance of parity.

How often does the best team over the regular season win the Cup?  We know they regularly get beat.  Does that mean it's better to have a crappy team in the regular season?  Only a fool would see it that way.

Chicago, and Los Angeles have had a pretty good run the last few years.  Both of them have gone down much like the B's just did too though.  Happens all the time.  Bruins 71 is the best example ever.

There are really only 2 questions to ask.  Did they get beat because "they're not good enough"...or did they get beat because they didn't "play as well as they could".

I don't know how any reasonable hockey analyst could say the B's played as well as they possibly could.  As well as they usually do.  Everything was screwed up.  A child should be able to get that.  The underachieved in virtually every measurable personal, and team category.  That's the stuff that we should be basing our opinion on.

In the event someone disagrees with all this.....Yes, the Bruins should be blown up, and a rebuild started.

If one believes success is a matter of placing greater emphasis on building a different team so as to be able to beat Montreal....then yes...blow er up.

There's only 4 teams left.  No one has a clue who will win.  We know that a month ago, the smartest guys in the business figured maybe Boston or Chicago.  Nobody had New York or Montreal in the finals.  Same with LA.

There is absolutely no trend, data, evidence or otherwise, that would logically suggest this team is no longer one of the absolute best in the NHL.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Lex44. Show Lex44's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

It's all related, but there really is no "secret" that needs to be figured out.  No one knows what to do to build a champion.  You can only build a good team and hope for the best.  The Cap guarantees some semblance of parity.

How often does the best team over the regular season win the Cup?  We know they regularly get beat.  Does that mean it's better to have a crappy team in the regular season?  Only a fool would see it that way.

Chicago, and Los Angeles have had a pretty good run the last few years.  Both of them have gone down much like the B's just did too though.  Happens all the time.  Bruins 71 is the best example ever.

There are really only 2 questions to ask.  Did they get beat because "they're not good enough"...or did they get beat because they didn't "play as well as they could".

I don't know how any reasonable hockey analyst could say the B's played as well as they possibly could.  As well as they usually do.  Everything was screwed up.  A child should be able to get that.  The underachieved in virtually every measurable personal, and team category.  That's the stuff that we should be basing our opinion on.

In the event someone disagrees with all this.....Yes, the Bruins should be blown up, and a rebuild started.

If one believes success is a matter of placing greater emphasis on building a different team so as to be able to beat Montreal....then yes...blow er up.

There's only 4 teams left.  No one has a clue who will win.  We know that a month ago, the smartest guys in the business figured maybe Boston or Chicago.  Nobody had New York or Montreal in the finals.  Same with LA.

There is absolutely no trend, data, evidence or otherwise, that would logically suggest this team is no longer one of the absolute best in the NHL.

One of the main reasons they've been the absolute best is the shutdown ability of Chara. Although maybe injured he also appeared exhausted at the end of the Habs series. If they're going to continue with using him every shift in the playoffs against the other teams top line I'd be surprised if they made the finals again. And couldn't a little juggling of the top lines once in a while help out. Their top line was totally shut down the whole series and yet never a change...

• You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Swung and missed at the deadline the last 3 years. The year the Bruins won the cup...PC hit a homerun.

There's a trend for yah.

Playoffs: Reilly Smith > Tyler Seguin

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

exactly. This years pickups who made a diff? Gaborik, Weaver, and to  lesser extent Vanek. Sitting on your hands not always the best way to go. PC needed a left D so probably didn't consider Weaver. Too bad.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

exactly. This years pickups who made a diff? Gaborik, Weaver, and to  lesser extent Vanek. Sitting on your hands not always the best way to go. PC needed a left D so probably didn't consider Weaver. Too bad.

Weaver (former Panther!) could have been the difference maker.  He sure did have a big effect on the series I think.  Instead, to fix the defense, Chiarellia trades for a guy he barely even uses.  Might as well have traded with The Sports Hub for Bob Beers.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

you should have told Stanley who could have told PC.... LOL

Yeah, you're right folks.  Shane Hnidy was a home run now wasn't he?  It's a real comfort to look back and see PC didn't sit on his hands in 11.

And of course Bruins nation really backed PC on the Kaberle pickup didn't they?

Gutless pukes.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

This probably the funniest thread I've ever seen ....I've been yelling all year long to dump ST and recall Spooner and someone comes up with this idea ...we need speed and skill ....dont worry we have plenty of both with Shawn Thornton....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 3 more Cups by 2020

• You have chosen to ignore posts from marco0863. Show marco0863's posts

Pc picking mez was a joke yet even with a healty seidenberg .. I can't see how we still don't lose.  Kelly absence was well ... it was goals we needed somethinghe's immune too.  

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to 49thparallel's comment:

Weaver (former Panther!) could have been the difference maker.  He sure did have a big effect on the series I think.  Instead, to fix the defense, Chiarellia trades for a guy he barely even uses.  Might as well have traded with The Sports Hub for Bob Beers.

I don't see how anyone could point to  "A" difference maker.  Based on the results, PC needed to pick up a PMD, a responsible stay at home D.  A couple goal scorers, at least 1 PK specialist(probably 3), and a PP specialist.  And that isn't including all these "speedtsters" that need to be acquired before this team is any good again.

Not much middle ground on this one folks.  Either the B's are fekin terrible(by Cup contender standards), or they just didn't play nearly as well as they can.

• Sections
    Shortcuts