Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it."

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it."

"Several times, Neely highlighted the club’s inconsistent power play as the primary soft spot. Neely said the team has the personnel to be more successful on the power play.

“We really need to have a philosophical difference of how we look at the power play,” Neely said. “I don’t just look at the percentage of the power play. I look at when we get power plays, what the score of the game is and what the time of the game is. That’s important. Even more so important than what the actual percentages of the power play. I think we have the personnel so we can improve on the power play. There’s some things we’re certainly going to discuss in the offseason on what we can do differently on the power play. I think it’s an area that absolutely needs improving. We will improve on it.”

Great Cam but if you think the Bruins have the personnel and agree with Chiarelli that the Bruins don't need a makeover. Then is this finally the end of Ward ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it."

Goodbye Mr. Ward........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Claude should also take a hit. He's been Ward's boss and participated in all training. Maybe that could be Cam's focus also.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

It is very easy to improve this power play: hand it over to Tyler Seguin.

Let's start using Seguin how the Habs of the 70's used Guy Lafleur. That's how we'll separate from the elite.

It's fine and dandy to go around banging and fighting in the corners, but do you recall you ever seeing Guy Lafleur do it? Noooo. He was to busy terrorizing the opposition with his speed, shot and playmaking.

Fearless prediction for 2012-13: Tyler Seguin wins scoring title.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I think Ward will be rightfully canned. However, it's possible they have a conversation about the "philosophical difference" Cam mentioned and Ward agrees and then Cam and PC, etc. all think Ward can install this new philosophy and he already knows the personnel so he keeps his job for one more year. But I still think he's gone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Sounds like a shot across the bow of the entire coaching staff - I get the impression Cam gets frustrated sometimes, and is not always on the same page with what he described as a "philosophical difference". I think that having his input is healthy for the whole organization -

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it.":
    [QUOTE]It is very easy to improve this power play: hand it over to Tyler Seguin. Let's start using Seguin how the Habs of the 70's used Guy Lafleur. That's how we'll separate from the elite. It's fine and dandy to go around banging and fighting in the corners, but do you recall you ever seeing Guy Lafleur do it? Noooo. He was to busy terrorizing the opposition with his speed, shot and playmaking. Fearless prediction for 2012-13: Tyler Seguin wins scoring title.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

Very good point. While I was happy in the Caps series to see Seguin in front of the net the last 3 games looking for tips and rebounds I was wondering the whole time why the likes of Lucic, Marchand (if he could channel his inner Ciccerelli or Verbeek), Kelly and Pouliot were not doing that with the same consistency. As you point out, Seguin's game is simply not crashing and banging and it may be best if CJ could somehow maximize his strengths rather then concentrating so much on his weaknesses, which is what they have been doing the last 2 years. He seems to now be a mature enough player to move on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]It is very easy to improve this power play: hand it over to Tyler Seguin. Let's start using Seguin how the Habs of the 70's used Guy Lafleur. That's how we'll separate from the elite. It's fine and dandy to go around banging and fighting in the corners, but do you recall you ever seeing Guy Lafleur do it? Noooo. He was to busy terrorizing the opposition with his speed, shot and playmaking. Fearless prediction for 2012-13: Tyler Seguin wins scoring title.

Yeah Wheater, I think they should hand over more than just the PP. Give the kid an "A" and let him center the 1st line. He's a Ferrari - time to drop the hammer.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Also !!!  Neely backed up PC's comments on the Bruins staying with the basic personal..So...If you keep the same personal and you want to improve the PP, the question is how ? Change the coaching is one way.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Bingo, I've said this also, put Seguin on the off wing like Stamkos and have him set up for the one timer. he will get some one timers off since they have to respect the fact that Chara is out there as well, plus if anything it will give Chara time to unload on one. The power play as it is set up now does not allow Chara time to get off a hard slapper. I've never seen a power play force the play to the point men so much even though they are covered.

Could you imagine if Savard were still on this team? coming off the half boards he could shoot, feed seguin or drop one back to chara as he's heading to the net..that would be deadly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

the habs of the 70s also had the likes of Robinson, Lapointe & Savard manning the point and Steve Shutt in front of the net to collect any loose change....

the kid can't do it alone....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

Our system is mediocore at best, i agree with the Ward sentiments.  One question though, wasn't he here when Savvy ran the PP and we were hitting at a clip of about 22% when Savard was here?  Part of the issue is coaching style, biggest part of the problem is talent on the PP.  No doubt about it, actually playing and focusing on Seguin is a good start.  How was he not the focal point there this year already, and who makes that decision, that must be Claude right?

I think the answer is needed talent offensively, or non stationary D men.  Easy start is seguin.  I think the second, and harder piece is getting more talent in through trades, ufa, etc.  To days of orr's point, it wasnt just Guy, it can't just be seguin, and Mtl could have had dave lewis coach that PP and look like a genius.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Having ANY kind of PP success can remove some of the "edge" the opposing team plays with.

Definitely down with the stamkos/kovi/seguin one timer thing. Does Chara have to out on every pp chance?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it.": [QUOTE]Having ANY kind of PP success can remove some of the "edge" the opposing team plays with. Definitely down with the stamkos/kovi/seguin one timer thing. Does Chara have to out on every pp chance? Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

No he doesn't but when Z had Savard, who backed off defenders, Chara had more sucess on the PP. Current centers on the Bruins PP don't set Zdeno up properly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Perhaps Geoff Ward loosened his collar when he read the president's comments.  It's difficult to imagine the PP as presently strategized by Ward improving it's efficiency.  A new direction is needed and it sounds like the Bruins will seek one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Let's see ... how to defend against the Bruins PP ... even without interviewing Coach Ward between periods?

1.  Direct the puck traffic to the exterior. 
    2.  Watch the puck be fed to the point. 
    3.  Block the predicted shot. 
    4.  Clear the puck from the zone. 
    5.  Start again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]Let's see ... how to defend against the Bruins PP ... even without interviewing Coach Ward between periods? 1.  Direct the puck traffic to the exterior.  2.  Watch the puck be fed to the point.  3.  Block the predicted shot.  4.  Clear the puck from the zone.  5.  Start again.
    Posted by huscroft28[/QUOTE]

Can we add all while the penalty clock ticks down?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

Sure.

6.  Watch the penalty clock tick down.

Pathetic and the difference between these boards hosting very different conversations and, obviously more importantly, the Bruins playing the Devils in the second round.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

All this pp talk reminds me of what a great talent Savard was. He was so versatile on the pp that he made all of his teammates more dangerous. I know they won the Cup without him but man he was amazing to watch. I guess we can all hope that Cam can deliver on his promise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I still say that this the wrong approach and the wrong place to focus.  Look at some of the teams in the Top 10 for power play pecentage:

Edmonton, San Jose, Toronto, NYI, Colorado

I don't think I want to emulate those squads.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]I still say that this the wrong approach and the wrong place to focus.  Look at some of the teams in the Top 10 for power play pecentage: Edmonton, San Jose, Toronto, NYI, Colorado I don't think I want to emulate those squads.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I agree.  Of the 5 clubs you've mentioned only one, SJ made the playoffs.  We know the Bruins' PP was middle of the pack at 15th yet the 49-22-11-109 pt. Blues were ranked 19th in this regard.  Shows how misleading this stat can be.  Let's hope the change in PP direction Neely spoke of leads to measureable improvement.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I still say that this the wrong approach and the wrong place to focus.  Look at some of the teams in the Top 10 for power play pecentage: Edmonton, San Jose, Toronto, NYI, Colorado I don't think I want to emulate those squads.

Where do you think the focus should be?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it." : Where do you think the focus should be?
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Goal scoring forwards. 

The B's didn't lose to the Caps because they couldn't score on the powerplay.  They lost becuase they couldn't score.  Rich Peverley isn't a first line winger in the NHL.  Jordan Caron isn't a first line winger in the NHL.

The fact that they had so many 20 goal scorers and no 30 goal scorers tells me that they had a lot of guys who can score one out of every four games, but none who can score one out of every two.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Neely comments on the PP "We will improve on it." : Goal scoring forwards.  The B's didn't lose to the Caps because they couldn't score on the powerplay.  They lost becuase they couldn't score.  Rich Peverley isn't a first line winger in the NHL.  Jordan Caron isn't a first line winger in the NHL. The fact that they had so many 20 goal scorers and no 30 goal scorers tells me that they had a lot of guys who can score one out of every four games, but none who can score one out of every two.

Goal scoring forwards, of course, do not grow on trees and, therefore need to be signed or traded for. I am assuming you have no problem trading Krejci for a goalscorer. Anyone else? Who do you see available come July 1 that is worth chasing?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

So true, but I think the playoffs are a different animal and there is more importance on special teams come playoff time.