Neely's role

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Re: Neely's role

In my opionion ?   An owner employs a President to oversee the business in all things pertaining to and including the knowledge of hockey. If the President wants to replace a GM, he has to be accountable to the owner. Therefore it makes sense that a President does not replace a coach but rather defers this matter to the GM. In most cases, when a GM is replaced the coach ('s), are replaced as well, so the new GM can bring his own coaches on board. 

Does PC look to Cam for possible trades ? I would imagine PC would keep Cam in the loop as much as possible if he wants to keep his job. It would sure help if Cam and PC were on the same page when looking at the teams weakness and what they see that the Bruins need for player personal to win the cup. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

I'd like to hear people's opinion on Neely's impact on the organization.  Some on here have mentioned that he is just a figurehead - I don't agree but if you feel that way please explain your rationale behind making such a statement. 

In particular I'd like to hear how his impact has evolved (if in fact, it has) from last year as VP to this year as President.  Is he "managing" PC &  CJ?  Does he have any input as to the team's style of play.  Can he alone veto a PC proposed trade, acquisition, or transaction with Providence?

I have mentioned on some other threads that I believe that Neely is simply Jacobs figurehead up top.. Sort of like putting a face to the franchise that everyone knows and respects... Not that there is anything wrong with it.. A lot of Sports teams have taken well known figures and put them in high positions of supposed authority but really have no impact on team decisions ...

I asked a few weeks ago for someone to name me one decision so far in Neely's tenure , which is 7 months in the making,  that has put his definite stamp on the team?  None!  Compare him to John McDonough of Chicago who was brought in to be President and all of a sudden started firing GM , coach, etc and changing the culture of the team, getting past players of Chicago lore back into the fold to rjoin the team as alumni...and we know the result that paid off for the BlackHawks last year...

Sorry some on here think that Neely has some sort of power over PC , which could not be farther from the truth...If PC was to get fired it would be by Jacobs and not Neely..  As PC stated when Neely was hired.. " I will listen to Neely " " But I will have the final say in all aspects of Hockey Operations"...which just about answers your last paragraph... I will be the first to admit I was wrong when I hear some impact move or initiative from Neely until then, I am not convinced!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This is really an impossible question to answer since none of us are inthe offices on Causeway Street - for all we know he could be focusing his attention on the marketing of the team, the Bruins Foundation, the concessions, rink staff, NHL relations, arena management, etc., and allowing PC to look after the hockey side with little interference.

In fact, is it not the President's job to oversee ALL of the things I just listed, and not just the hockey operations? Isn't that why a President has a GM? To take that off his plate? I do think that if Neely feels a change is needed he'd let PC go, or at least sit down with Jacobs to hash it out. But the president's responsibility is for the whole franchise and not just the on-ice product (so if the price of beer goes up, complain to Neely)

I did hear something recently about a change to the rink staff, and that new concessions may be brought in for next season, so it could be he's got other things on his plate.

McDonough is a micromanager (no problem with that, as it had results) Could be that's just not Neely's style, and he'd rather let his employees do their jobs and only switch it up or interfere when necessary.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Thanks for the responses guys.  One more question: 

Why would Jacobs promote Neely from VP (with Neely answering to PC); to President (with PC now answering to Neely)?   This, of course, occurring after an epic playoff collapse last May.

Why make any change at all? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

PR.  Sleight of Hand.  Misdirection.  Call it what you want.  Neely was installed as president to take the focus off of the last game of the year.  He is not a decision maker.  His role, straight from the Cryptkeeper's mouth, is to "guide" the franchise. 

I figure what this means is that he has a significant role in the planning discussions for all facets of the franchise.  How do they play, who do they get to play, who coaches and how, how do they market the franchise, how do they interact with the community.  They'll agree on a direction and it will be up to the GM to implement it.  If it's the wrong direction, that's one thing.  If Chiarelli can't execute the direction for whatever reason, that's when his arz is in the fire.

There's a reason for this - insulation.  Cam's value to this franchise is inestimable so long as he remains above decisons that would taint his status as an icon, the purest expression of what a Bruin power forward should be.  If he pulls a Milbury and trades...say...Rask for Langenbrunner...well, then, poof.  Get the idiot out of the office, he clearly injured more than his legs.

Think about Milbury.  When he was in Boston, he was a gem.  Built on what O'Reilly started and got a lot out of some players who didn't have a lot to give.  Called out Craig Janney for lying on the ice then coming out for the PP shift right after - that is, for being bush or a wuss.  His own guy.  How's that for using the stick to reinforce the identity of his team?  Once he went to the Isles, though...wow.  Just...wow.  Like his brain and his hair receded at the same time.  He was never able to change that team's identity from the NY Wangs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Hey Boobkboy !  Who fired Milbury ? Wasn't it Harry, the then President of the club ?

Did Jacobs not promote Cam from Vice to President, AFTER, Harry stepped down from that post, whilst sitting in his chair in Florida ?

Hey Red75 ! Have you checked on Cam's colleage career ? He doesn't have one. He rode the bus in the WHL. So I think it's safe to assume he's not into marketing, or parking lot revenue. He's one thing and one thing only. A hockey guy. One who Jacobs respects enought to make him his President.

Tell me. If PC gets fired, who makes the announcement ? Jacobs, Cam or Julien ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Me thinks Jacobs will go to Cam to get information on "Why am I/Delaware North/TD Bank not getting more beer and pretzel sales in the conference finals and the cup finals ?" Meaning he can go to Cam when Sinden finally fazes out as too "is this team being built to make my Corporation more money when I'm spending to the cap".

I do think that PC runs the show as far call ups, trades and evaluating Julien but it doesn't mean that Neely wouldn't hesitate to show Julien and Chiarelli his displeasure (I do think Neely met with Julien and PC within the last week as as coach looks like he felt the squeeze to right these consecutive losess) which might not sit well because PC must know Neely can also voice his displeasure to Jacobs if he feels the need.

Checks and Balances PC now knows that Neely is watching where as Sinden the last few years comes to the Garden for a few press conferences to advise Jacobs and gets his free bottle of rye for jumping on the 128.

Do I think Neely can fire Chiarelli or Julien ?  No but he can recommend it as I do think PC has this year and next to get the Bruins to the cup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

In Response to Neely's role:
    [QUOTE]I'd like to hear people's opinion on Neely's impact on the organization.  Some on here have mentioned that he is just a figurehead - I don't agree but if you feel that way please explain your rationale behind making such a statement.  In particular I'd like to hear how his impact has evolved (if in fact, it has) from last year as VP to this year as President.  Is he "managing" PC &  CJ?  Does he have any input as to the team's style of play.  Can he alone veto a PC proposed trade, acquisition, or transaction with Providence?    
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I believe Cam is much more then a figurehead. I think his honesty is a breath of fresh air for the organization that is much to conservative for my liking.

However, this is simply my opinion from reading between the lines but I feel there maybe a rift between Neely & CJ & possibly Chia. Neely has been quite clear that he is not a fan of the Bruins style of play & is purturbed by the problems on the PP that the style is so dependent on. To me that is a complaint against the coach.

I also believe he was the leading force behind attempting to unload Savard in the offseason. I don't believe Neely is a Savard fan & I certainly don't believe he likes the 7 yr deal Savard got previous to Neely becoming president.

I like the fact that Neely is making CJ & CHIA accountable. Chia has done a solid job but some of his contract signings have been & will be very questionable & hopefully Neely will oversee that aspect of Chia's job. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Without a shred of evidence to support the thought, I find it terribly comical for anyone to say anything about any of this.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Stuke - no one.  No one fired Milbury.  He left to be the GM in Long Island.  Movin' on up to a deluxe appartment in the sky.  Harry was still GM and President.  He didn't relinquish the GM role until the beloved Mike O'Connell's era.

NAS - your standards for evidence are too high.  No, no smoking guns and no cocktail napkins retrieved from the exec. boardroom in Buffalo saying "hire ex-player as figurehead; confuse bumpkins!".  But the language announcing Neely's role emphasizes advice, guidance - not decision-making responsibility.  Chiarelli's responses when the announcement was made reinforced that idea.  Neely's non-hockey grounding is in not-for-profit leadership - perfect for outreach, connecting to the community.  His hockey background makes him the perfect icon to set direction by just being who he is; a symbol of the power game that they'd like to call Bruin hockey (not with this roster or this coach...but that's the ideal).  Not to go all Rumsfeld, but you know what you know and you know what you don't know, and speculation can be comical when you don't know what you need to know but don't.  I'm not sure there's any great chasm in what you need to know to form an opinion on the nature of Neely's power in the current management structure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I guess NAS...time will tell exactly what Cam's role with the Bruins really is. Until then, all comments here are pure speculations, which is what the post asked. At least your finding this terribly comical, unlike CactusTony, who I'm guessing is posting much like RMillar87.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

If you want to take whats been thrown about on the air..

Neelys promotion could spell the end for PC.. The idea when PC came in is that he would one day fill out the president role as well as GM.. Now all decisions go through neely (his words, I dont see that as a publicity stunt)..

I think ultimately after the collapse it gives the team stability, the coach can go (this is PC's second coach now, how many will he get with out a real play off run) if claude go, and PC has backed him PC would be next.. Neely would remain, would still be making hockey decisions..

I would speculate (this is on my own) neely is responsible for the overall direction of the franchise (big picture), PC is responsible for assemblying the peices and making the budget work, and the coach of course for getting the most out of what he has to work with..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Re: Neely's role:
    [QUOTE]If you want to take whats been thrown about on the air.. Neelys promotion could spell the end for PC.. The idea when PC came in is that he would one day fill out the president role as well as GM.. Now all decisions go through neely (his words, I dont see that as a publicity stunt).. I think ultimately after the collapse it gives the team stability, the coach can go (this is PC's second coach now, how many will he get with out a real play off run) if claude go, and PC has backed him PC would be next.. Neely would remain, would still be making hockey decisions.. I would speculate (this is on my own) neely is responsible for the overall direction of the franchise (big picture), PC is responsible for assemblying the peices and making the budget work, and the coach of course for getting the most out of what he has to work with..
    Posted by rolerhoky19[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right Roler, I've been saying this since Neely was named team prez last summer.  Neely's no figurehead.  I've also said that the guy behind his promotion was Harry Sinden, who still has plenty of influence as an advisor to Jacobs.  It's during debates such as this that all Bruins miss the late Will McDonough, who...unlike KPD...had the kind of a relationship with Sinden where he could have filled us in with at least some of the background behind Neely's promotion.  

Will copy a previous reply re: Neely shortly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

(Note:  this was originally posted 12-22-10, prior to end of B's winless streak.)

When Chiarelli was hired as GM during the summer of 2006, JJ said that he was so impressed with PC that he expected Chiarelli would eventually become President of the B's after a successful run as GM, noting too that son Charlie wasn't interested in becoming president.  So come this past spring, four years into PC's tenure as GM, what happened?  Chiarelli remained in his GM post, and three-year VP Neely was promoted to team President.  This was no mere coincidence IMHO. 

At the press conference, JJ's right-hand man Harry Sinden (who remains part of the organization as an advisor to the Jacobs) went out of his way to say how impressed he'd been by how Neely had grown and developed as a VP, that Cam had the respect of everyone inside and outside the organization and was thus the logical choice to become team President.  Which all makes sense on the surface of it, but if we dig a bit deeper, maybe we can see what may have been the real reasons behind Neely's promotion:

Why was Neely named President, and not Chiarelli?  Because someone within the B's organization...and I believe it was Harry Sinden...had the foresight to realize that if the B's fell on their faces this season, someone needed to be in charge in case changes needed to be made.  Neely played for the B's and is a Hall of Famer.  Chiarelli played for Harvard.  Neely's Black-and-Gold blood is thicker than Chiarelli's water.  Consider also that Cam has Sinden on his side, and Sinden has Jacobs on his side, so no one should doubt that Cam, along with Sinden, has the power and authority to determine the current and future direction of the Bruins.  Which is the way JJ (Charlie J.) and Sinden want it.  In Neely, they have someone in charge they know, trust and believe in.   I'm not sure they feel the same about Chiarelli.

So let's not kid ourselves:  As team President, Neely really does have the final say on PC and thus on CJ.   If PC disagrees too much about CJ's possible firing, PC could well end up following CJ out the door.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

BC,
    I just can't understand why anyone would think Neely would take a role with out some importance, nor one that has him working as someone's puppet.. I can't say I have ever seen a part of his personality that would lead me to believe he would be willing to.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

BC, that's a very nice spin you ramble on there.... Sinden is no longer a voice or sounding board of the Bruins.. The guy is sucking pablum thru a straw in some retirement home in Florida... Back to Neely..until Seabass puts his stamp on the franchise and makes impactful changes to this franchise I won't believe it ... maybe he is making impact changes in the marketing dept.. overseeing the maintenance staff at the TD and going out and shaking hands with season ticket holders or corporate VP's , whatever..PC has more power than you give him credit for..that much I know is true...

A quote from Chiarelli at Neely's press conference "

“When we make decisions as a group, he’s part of that group,” said Chiarelli. “That’s not going to change. His voice is a voice that we all listen to, but at the end of the day I’ve got to make the hockey decisions.  Good enough for me..

BTW was it not Jacobs who gave PC a 4 year contract extension last year? Yup I could tell he doesn't trust this guy one bit...Remember it was Chiarelli who asked Neely to rejoin the Bruins  initially and brough him in as a VP..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Does anyone feel that Neely and/or PC may have had a hand in getting Tuukka the start last night, or was it simply that CJ changed his mind from what he said on Sunday that he would go with TT vs Toronto?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

who cares what his role is? does he really even have one?cam and pc's job is to get good players into boston that will play within the system(clode's). the rest is clode's responsibility to teach his system, and the players responsibility to play hard.this team is 1st in its division, and hasn't really hit its stride this year(only small glimpses)...all's well in boston--oh yeah let's not forget they have the best 1-2 goalies in the league...all's well in boston

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

So Neely doesn't have to fire his GM or coach within 7 months of being on the job and he's simply a figurehead?  From all the interviews and accounts I've heard, it seems like he not only plays a role in almost every aspect of the Bruins organization, but desperately WANTS to play that role and play it well.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I would have to agree that Neely had something to do with Rask starting last night - he may even have had PC's backing.  I find it hard to believe that someone as stubborn as CJ said one thing on one day and did the opposite the next.  Just out of character for him and something we haven't seen before.