NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/2011-12_Boston_Bruins_prospects_roundup

Kirk Luedeke does a good job with the prospect coverage.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects

Thanks Crowls. Good read.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Good find Crowls. Excellent read and especially noticed this :

The B’s also got strong showings from prospects in Europe (Maxim Chudinov, Lars Volden),

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Peter has done almost as well with the pipe line as with the fill-ins like peverly/Kelly.  Tends to indicate why he will concentrate on the bottom six, or could be the 4th line. Still do not understand giving Thornton a two year deal, or any new deal. First indication that Bartkowski was injured.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects:
    Good find Crowls. Excellent read and especially noticed this : The B’s also got strong showings from prospects in Europe ( Maxim Chudinov, Lars Volden ),
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

It is what was NOT said about Volden that speaks loudest.
    At least Camara "just missed."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects : It is what was NOT said about Volden that speaks loudest. At least Camara "just missed."
    Posted by BadHabitude

Bad stats ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Khudobin was in the "just missed" group yet Hutch was ranked #11? The guy hasn't even proven he belongs in the AHL and was backing up Khudobin in Providence. Weird.

Nice post Crowls! Kirk's assessmnet of some of the prospects differed from other write-ups I've read. A little more insight and depth. Good read.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Good post.  For anyone who doesn't know Luedeke, I think he's one of the best.

Some of the surprises were seeing Ferlin so high already and the complete omission of Jamie Arniel (has he fallen that far?).

Like others I was surprised to see Gothberg (who hasn't even played a college game) and Hutch listed ahead of Kudo.  There seems to be a heavy emphasis on potential and not much on what's already been proven.

I was glad to see the plaudits for Kevan Miller.  He seems to be a dark horse in the system.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Good post.  For anyone who doesn't know Luedeke, I think he's one of the best. Some of the surprises were seeing Ferlin so high already and the complete omission of Jamie Arniel (has he fallen that far?). Like others I was surprised to see Gothberg (who hasn't even played a college game) and Hutch listed ahead of KudoThere seems to be a heavy emphasis on potential and not much on what's already been proven. Posted by Fletcher1

Kirk's exact point when he replied to me via email, it's about where he projects them in the NHL. Called our boy Rico "King of the strean beans" lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good post.  For anyone who doesn't know Luedeke, I think he's one of the best. Some of the surprises were seeing Ferlin so high already and the complete omission of Jamie Arniel (has he fallen that far?). Like others I was surprised to see Gothberg (who hasn't even played a college game) and Hutch listed ahead of Kudo.  There seems to be a heavy emphasis on potential and not much on what's already been proven. I was glad to see the plaudits for Kevan Miller.  He seems to be a dark horse in the system.
    Posted by Fletcher1

Kirk is excellent, Fletch. Never seems to have an agenda and always informs me of stuff I didn't previously know. Doesn't get much better than that.

I'm pulling for Kevan Miller to make it since his parents misspelled his name on his birth certificate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Labeling Keven Miller as the best defensive defenseman in the system says loads on the defensemen in the pipeline. Good write up on Knight, he looks like he could push for a spot in the lineup based on his "tenacity".  Hamilton will be a Larsson (year tutlege) on next year's Bs team.  I have the idea PC may keep Zanon for the right price until Hamilton posses more defensive prowess.  Nice read!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Love this quote about Cross, " has terrific intangibles "

I have intangibles like you wouldn't believe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Khudobin was in the "just missed" group yet Hutch was ranked #11? The guy hasn't even proven he belongs in the AHL and was backing up Khudobin in Providence. Weird. Nice post Crowls! Kirk's assessmnet of some of the prospects differed from other write-ups I've read. A little more insight and depth. Good read.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

Khudo was listed as "not considered due to age" not just missed. Just saying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Love this quote about Cross, "   has terrific intangibles  " I have intangibles like you wouldn't believe.
    Posted by BadHabitude

You're right. I don't believe it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects : Khudo was listed as "not considered due to age" not just missed. Just saying.
    Posted by lambda13

Thanks, lambda....there had to be some reason. Khudobin is much better than Hutch at this point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Agreed, I was looking for his name on the list and was like... hey... where is he?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Badhab bought one of those Swedish intangibles enhancers off the internet....

SanDog, I'm not sure that's a valid explanation by KL.  The same basic thinking is in play: the juniors haven't shown they aren't superstars yet, so if I'll treat my projection as gospel until proven wrong. That's how Spooner at 5'9" 175 (hockeydb has him at 5'10" - full disclosure) is the #2 prospect despite size limitations to go with his skill set, but Carter Camper (5'9" 180) is #10 even though he has already led the P-Bruins in scoring in his first year, and Craig Cunningham (5'9" 185) is #14 despite a 20 goal rookie season in Providence where he was stuck on the fourth line for a chunk of the year.  Cunningham's last two years in Vancouver/Portland (WHL), he had better numbers than Spooner in the OHL, and Camper's NCAA stats were point/game +.  Now, I'm not saying a junior player might not possess a visibly greater skill set than an AHL player, so I don't have a problem with Hamilton being #1 or even Knight #3, but when the entire top 5 are juniors, and only two of the top 10 have enough pro experience at any level to be considered to have a pro record for comparison, there's a bias in place that skews the rankings.  Chudinov, Ferlin and Gothberg look to me for all the world like the kind of story the prospect writers are getting on early just in case it pans out. 

Reminds me a bit of the Riendeaumania, particularly with Chudinov. This guy is rocketing up the charts based on...well, I'm not sure.  I doubt NEHJ has the coin to send Kirk to scout Russia, so he's probably interviewing pro scouts and maybe former NE hockey players who now play in the KHL.  That and BadHab is helping him read the stats - reading stats is important, but it's pretty tricky to understand them if you can't put them in context.  So for context: Chudinov was 9-25-32 in 52 games.  Kevin Dallman, who the Bruins jettisoned years ago, was 18-36-54 in 53 games.  Dallman finished 5th in the league in scoring, one spot behind teammate Brandon Bochenski.  Yes, Chudinov may have better NHL style skills, but I would look at the gap between him and Dallman in the K and be cautious about projecting him as likely to be the 5th most successful NHLer among these prospects.

If the ranking numbers mattered for a pile of rat droppings, I'd be downright exercised.

That said, I appreciate the information on the guys who don't get as much press, and the details you don't get unless you're a ProJo subscriber (and even then) like Bartkowski's injury bug and Cunningham having to play his way off the fourth line to score 20g which lead the team.

Also, did he move Khodobin after being barraged with emails? He's on the "too old" list.  And yes, Lars Volden gets an honourable mention in the preamble, but he didn't even make the "just missed" list, meaning he's no better than 23rd.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm not sure that's a valid explanation by KL.   If the ranking numbers mattered for a pile of rat droppings, I'd be downright exercised. That said, I appreciate the information on the guys who don't get as much press, and the details you don't get unless you're a ProJo subscriber   And yes, Lars Volden gets an honourable mention in the preamble, but he didn't even make the "just missed" list, meaning he's no better than 23rd. Posted by Bookboy007

I'm not saying I agree with KL but that is his assessment not mine and I know I get to 100% more WHL games in the Pacific Northwest than he does. My stance with him has been that "How can you rate players higher when they haven't played in the grinder AHL yet ?". His answer was of course "NHL ceiling".

PS. KL got hammered quite a bit on HFBoards for saying that he thought that Alexandrov would never adjust to the North American game because of attitude, He is dead on so far.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Good points Book.  Like I said, I think Kirk is one of the best, but I was puzzled by a couple of things,  one being Chudinov.  I haven't seen anyobne place him so high among the prospects and it seems a little dubious to do so without any North American experience or some kind of silver bullet of inside info.  As we just learned with Alexandrov (who was drafted considerably higher) the tranistion to N.A. hockey is often a difficult one for Russian defensemen.

The other question I have is what happens to the guys who fall in between being listed as a prospect and being listed as too old, and were in neither category.  Forget about Hamill, but are Arniel, Bodnardchuk, and Colby Cohen really out of the picture as prospects?  All three have played NHL games and performed fairly well in Providence.  Should we consider them finished?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects : Kirk's exact point when he replied to me via email, it's about where he projects them in the NHL. Called our boy Rico "King of the strean beans" lol
    Posted by SanDogBrewin

Ouch.  Agreed though.  For my prospect crush to last, he needs to hit the gym.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Badhab bought one of those Swedish intangibles enhancers off the internet.... SanDog, I'm not sure that's a valid explanation by KL.  The same basic thinking is in play: the juniors haven't shown they aren't superstars yet, so if I'll treat my projection as gospel until proven wrong. That's how Spooner at 5'9" 175 (hockeydb has him at 5'10" - full disclosure) is the #2 prospect despite size limitations to go with his skill set, but Carter Camper (5'9" 180) is #10 even though he has already led the P-Bruins in scoring in his first year, and Craig Cunningham (5'9" 185) is #14 despite a 20 goal rookie season in Providence where he was stuck on the fourth line for a chunk of the year.  Cunningham's last two years in Vancouver/Portland (WHL), he had better numbers than Spooner in the OHL, and Camper's NCAA stats were point/game +.  Now, I'm not saying a junior player might not possess a visibly greater skill set than an AHL player, so I don't have a problem with Hamilton being #1 or even Knight #3, but when the entire top 5 are juniors, and only two of the top 10 have enough pro experience at any level to be considered to have a pro record for comparison, there's a bias in place that skews the rankings.  Chudinov, Ferlin and Gothberg look to me for all the world like the kind of story the prospect writers are getting on early just in case it pans out.  Reminds me a bit of the Riendeaumania, particularly with Chudinov. This guy is rocketing up the charts based on...well, I'm not sure.  I doubt NEHJ has the coin to send Kirk to scout Russia, so he's probably interviewing pro scouts and maybe former NE hockey players who now play in the KHL.  That and BadHab is helping him read the stats - reading stats is important, but it's pretty tricky to understand them if you can't put them in context.  So for context: Chudinov was 9-25-32 in 52 games.  Kevin Dallman, who the Bruins jettisoned years ago, was 18-36-54 in 53 games.  Dallman finished 5th in the league in scoring, one spot behind teammate Brandon Bochenski.  Yes, Chudinov may have better NHL style skills, but I would look at the gap between him and Dallman in the K and be cautious about projecting him as likely to be the 5th most successful NHLer among these prospects. If the ranking numbers mattered for a pile of rat droppings, I'd be downright exercised. That said, I appreciate the information on the guys who don't get as much press, and the details you don't get unless you're a ProJo subscriber (and even then) like Bartkowski's injury bug and Cunningham having to play his way off the fourth line to score 20g which lead the team. Also, did he move Khodobin after being barraged with emails? He's on the "too old" list.  And yes, Lars Volden gets an honourable mention in the preamble, but he didn't even make the "just missed" list, meaning he's no better than 23rd.
    Posted by Bookboy007

Thanks for the tip on intangible enhancement, I got mine expressed delivered and it's made a big difference.

I agree on context for stats, as far as my interpretation of stats alone I like Chudinov as he shows a good upward trend.  Looking over the roster of his team they look they aren't all that bad, a sprinking of NHL games and AHL games.  I'll be interested to see him if he comes to camp.  I like his numbers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

From everything I hear, Knight could find himself a spot as a perfect 3rd liner for the Bruins.
    Spooner appears to have more upside, but his lack of power and size could make it harder to reach his ceiling.
    I'm curious about Koko.....will his speed hold him back enough?

Frankly, I think the whole "NHL or juniors" rule for guys under 20 is garbage for these top prospects. It just seems like a lot of the high-end prospects don't get challenged game in and game out; they just kind of idle and, if they don't challenge themselves, their game goes to hell.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Khudobin was in the "just missed" group yet Hutch was ranked #11? The guy hasn't even proven he belongs in the AHL and was backing up Khudobin in Providence. Weird. Nice post Crowls! Kirk's assessmnet of some of the prospects differed from other write-ups I've read. A little more insight and depth. Good read.
    Posted by WalkTheLine

I think Anton was "just missed" because of his age. It was up to 25 and Khudobin is 26, i believe. Good article, thanks Crowls.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I interpret the absence of Arniel, Cohen and Bodnarchuk to mean that they would have come after the just misseds.  Take that how you will.  Arniel had stats last year, but not stand up and take notice stats.  Cohen may be Lashoff in disguise - a guy I thought had some potential but seems to be in quicksand.  With Lashoff, I got the impression it was an issue above the neck - did Cohen stick around to get his degree?  In any case, he's not doing wonders for my vendetta on NCAA defensemen.  Bodnarchuk, I think, is just boring.  He might be that AHL defenseman who does better in the NHL because he's playing in a better system where the players around him are better able to fulfill their responsibilities.  That's one of those observations about the AHL that struck me as true: some defensemen are better in the NHL because they don't feel they have to do their teammates jobs - the game is more structured.  So Bodnarchuk doesn't do anything really well, but he's smart and seems physically capable of keeping up, so he might be a good fill in.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: NEHJ Bruins Top-15 Prospects : You're right. I don't believe it.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Yah, you are right to doubt my intangibles.

I don't understand them either.

Please point out an NHL player with these "intangibles" with a parallel to Cross so I can understand all this better.

Sections
Shortcuts