NESN Stat: Scoring Chances

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: NESN Stat: Scoring Chances

In response to lucdufour's comment:

I like the stat from a defensive perspective.  Usually those chances are a result of turnovers, dzone coverage breakdowns, and giving up odd man rushes.  Obviously, minimizing those chances as a team increase the chance for winning.  It also tells you if your goalie stole you a game a la Miller tonight.  I think it is a way more telling stat than shots.  

offensively, I like the stat as a measure for evaluating the pp.  you can have a great pp and go 0 for 5 and have a crappy pp and go 1 for 3.  A bad coach goes strictly by the numbers and goals versus who is producing chances and being a threat.   For example, Seguin would be benched by now if you went strictly by goal scoring when the reality is that he is on an awful streak of either bad luck or goalies robbing him.  

Coaches watch the games.  They don't need stats like this to tell them who's playing well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Fans watch the games.  

They like to use stats to bolster their arguments and to attempt to prove their points.

I don't believe any crime has been committed or anyone's civil rights violated.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Scoring chances is a stat that can be viewed differently by two people. What one person thinks is a scoring chance, it might not be to someone else. It's a hard stat to be definitive on.

Even though I like this stat I also understand it is not always accurate. It is a stat that has "hits and misses" to it just like the hits category stat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Scoring chances is a stat that can be viewed differently by two people. What one person thinks is a scoring chance, it might not be to someone else. It's a hard stat to be definitive on.

Even though I like this stat I also understand it is not always accurate. It is a stat that has "hits and misses" to it just like the hits category stat.

No doubt, however if you see one team has had 20 and the other team 5 it says something.  

What's that something?  A goaltender standing on his head or guys not being able to finish.

We probably won't fight about it for years on end - as we are going to our graves going at it over prospects.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

Yep!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

No doubt, however if you see one team has had 20 and the other team 5 it says something.  

What's that something?  A goaltender standing on his head or guys not being able to finish.

We probably won't fight about it for years on end - as we are going to our graves going at it over prospects.

Even at one point of the game last night when the scoring chances were 10-4, I said to myself , " self, no way are those figures right ".

And the prospect debate will always be there . I just have to pick my game up a lot to be able to bring it up to your level of expertise. 

Less watching, more numbers ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

A good analogy for NHL "Scoring Chances" is an NFL team's "Red Zone" opportunities.  Does anyone really care how many times a team get inside the opponent's 20 yard line?  I don't.  Show me the money!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

A good analogy for NHL "Scoring Chances" is an NFL team's "Red Zone" opportunities.  Does anyone really care how many times a team get inside the opponent's 20 yard line?  I don't.  Show me the money!

The "scoring chance" stat is subjective.

But, both are useless.  What almost happened or could have happened doesn't matter to me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Well, for me, if your team is really good in the red zone and get their allot. I would say the fan of that team you think about how great of a "red zone" team you are. Now if your team stinks and they don't make the playoffs that often then more than likley it doesn't really matter becuase your head is in your hands on Sunday afternoon lol

When you favorite hockey team has the puck in the offfensive and they don't put the puck in the back of the net against an inferior team then I tend took look at scoring depth and which forwards are getting allot of minutes without scoring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I don't like the stat. The way I look at it every chance is different and unique in it's own way. It doesn't mean anything in the big picture. Say one team had 4 "quality" scoring chances, and the four shooters were Paille, Bourque, Peverley and Thornton, while the other team had only had two, but the shooters were Nash and Gaborik. I'd roll the dice and say the team that had the 2 might be going off the ice with the lead at the end of that period.

It's a useless stat, Gregory Campbells quality scoring chance wasn't as good as Thomas Vaneks even it were shot fromt he same place in the same situation, because Campbell isnt as good as Vanek..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to lucdufour's comment:

I like the stat from a defensive perspective.  Usually those chances are a result of turnovers, dzone coverage breakdowns, and giving up odd man rushes.  Obviously, minimizing those chances as a team increase the chance for winning.  It also tells you if your goalie stole you a game a la Miller tonight.  I think it is a way more telling stat than shots.  

offensively, I like the stat as a measure for evaluating the pp.  you can have a great pp and go 0 for 5 and have a crappy pp and go 1 for 3.  A bad coach goes strictly by the numbers and goals versus who is producing chances and being a threat.   For example, Seguin would be benched by now if you went strictly by goal scoring when the reality is that he is on an awful streak of either bad luck or goalies robbing him.  

Coaches watch the games.  They don't need stats like this to tell them who's playing well.

To your point----In the heat of the moment, with game happening so fast, coaches must make quick decisions, based on natural instincts without regard for all of the evidence...

However, as a former coach at the college level, you consider every evaluation tool possible to evaulate team and individual performance.   Usually the film that I broke down involved quality chances and not shots from the perimeter.  I usually like to take an evidentiary approach to teaching the game rather that just saying "you did not play well"; it makes your player(s) and team buy-in a little better and gives them more specific feedback.   In short, the use of "periphery" stats other that what you read in a box score are pivotal to success.  A coach who ignores this should not coach at a high level.