NESN's Production Value

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

NESN's Production Value

It's getting worse. I'm honestly getting nauseous with tonight's main camera jerking. Audio mix is always terrible, and they still can't cut to studio without a 3-second audio delay. No ability to put an active reporter at ice level during the period. Running replays with live audio while commentators are trying to say something new. Cutting to the corner camera the second a body hits that area, despite the obvious fact that centering passes will be attempted. Muffed replays that are live too long while the original footage goes out of focus or changes subjects.

Technically speaking, it's a complete mess this season and you'd think the defending champs would get a better product out there to their audience. Sorry to rant about non-hockey issues, but as others have said...it's damaging my calm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

Re: NESN's Production Value

as long as they get rid of that camera behind the net i'll be happy. god i hate that thing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

At least you get NESN tonight, I'm stuck with the TSN feed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I think NESN is one of the best hockey broadcasts, certainly the best regional coverage of any team. It has gone downhill since Kathryn Tappen left though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In Response to Re: NESN's Production Value:
    I think NESN is one of the best hockey broadcasts, certainly the best regional coverage of any team. It has gone downhill since Kathryn Tappen left though.
    Posted by OatesCam

But since when did they start hiring drunk monkeys to direct and shoot the game?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

In Response to Re: NESN's Production Value : But since when did they start hiring drunk monkeys to direct and shoot the game?
    Posted by asmaha

Well there's your answer: the Edwards Drinking Game must be gaining popularity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

In Response to Re: NESN's Production Value : Well there's your answer: the Edwards Drinking Game must be gaining popularity.
    Posted by DrCC

"he said saucer pass; EVERYBODY DRINK!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I like the coverage and we're luckier than most markets with what we have, but technically they're a complete mess. Maybe their primary camera man had issues and was left at the border for this one.

That aside, I was surprised at how much credit the Bruins got for that game. Dale & the Undynamic Duo (don't even know their names) felt they were playing well, with no hangover from the Pitt game the night before. I disagree. I felt that their legs weren't there and they had trouble creating separation all night. Passes were sloppy, with many going into the feet or too wobbly to handle. One-timers were off all night, and there was a lack of finish around the net. They were slapping at the puck and gave turnovers, instead of controlling and waiting for a play to open up. All signs of mental and physical fatigue.

The Bs were working hard to push through it, and props to the Jets for playing a great home game, but fatigue was absolutely a factor against a better team last night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

The Bruins looked tired and the Jets, wow, they looked like their hockey pants were on fire. I don't know if I've ever seen a team try so hard in game 26 of the regular season. It would have been hard for any team, no matter how talented, to beat Winnipeg last night.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

Isn't the camera feed coming from the home arena?

I can't imagine NESN sends their entire camera/sound crew along with the broadcasters for every away game.  That means there would be two sets of cameras at every game - home and NESN.

It's doubtful other teams bring their HD cameras to Boston (and everywhere else they go around the continent).  It would be a colossal waste of money.

I could be wrong, though...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

The Bruins got 40 shots on net and attempted 32 more that either missed or got blocked. That's hardly a team that's not generating chances. Pavelec isn't the greatest goalie ever, but when he's hot he's hot. Tuukka looked sloppy on both goals let in, and the B's blocked 15 shots.

I like the coverage and we're luckier than most markets with what we have, but technically they're a complete mess. Maybe their primary camera man had issues and was left at the border for this one. That aside, I was surprised at how much credit the Bruins got for that game. Dale & the Undynamic Duo (don't even know their names) felt they were playing well, with no hangover from the Pitt game the night before. I disagree. I felt that their legs weren't there and they had trouble creating separation all night. Passes were sloppy, with many going into the feet or too wobbly to handle. One-timers were off all night, and there was a lack of finish around the net. They were slapping at the puck and gave turnovers, instead of controlling and waiting for a play to open up. All signs of mental and physical fatigue. The Bs were working hard to push through it, and props to the Jets for playing a great home game, but fatigue was absolutely a factor against a better team last night.
    Posted by asmaha

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

The Bruins got 40 shots on net and attempted 32 more that either missed or got blocked. That's hardly a team that's not generating chances. Pavelec isn't the greatest goalie ever, but when he's hot he's hot. Tuukka looked sloppy on both goals let in, and the B's blocked 15 shots. In Response to Re: NESN's Production Value :
    Posted by bandgbleeder

Maybe Rask looked a little sloppy on the 2 he let in, but, it's another loss for a goalkeeper who let in 2 of 35 on net. It's just my take on this, but they seem to play better in front of Thomas than Rask. Rask's losses are by one goal. TT's wins are by 2 or more. He gets more goal support. Is it just me?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Production/camera comes from the home rink, and NESN at home is better than most. I agree with asmaha and Oates, the Pens game[ tough and heavy] plus the stupid schedule of next night into Winnepeg, took it's toll on passes and skating. Still, Tuuka played a good game [ 35 shots] and was let down by Corvo primarily. It wazs Corvo's third poor game. Time for Kamfer? Seguin's skills were missed, but Caron played a solid positional game, and didn't back down from anyone. Claude needs to find a way to play this kid more frequently. Horton looked more noticably tired as the night went on, moreso than others, but, he played very well in Pittsburgh, so it should have been expected.Claude did try shortened shifts, but Pavelic was hot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

last nights game looked like their first ten. pretty decent effort, a 7 or 7.5 out of ten. lots of shots, lots of scoring chances, great opposing goalie effort, lack of finishing. let's hope it doesn't last for 10 games like the start of the season. compared to the hop they had in pitt, this looked like a tired team. the pace of the pitt game was playoff-like. can't wait to see how they respond to a loss...it's been a while.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Production/camera comes from the home rink, and NESN at home is better than most. I agree with asmaha and Oates, the Pens game[ tough and heavy] plus the stupid schedule of next night into Winnepeg, took it's toll on passes and skating. Still, Tuuka played a good game [ 35 shots] and was let down by Corvo primarily. It wazs Corvo's third poor game. Time for Kamfer? Seguin's skills were missed, but Caron played a solid positional game, and didn't back down from anyone. Claude needs to find a way to play this kid more frequently. Horton looked more noticably tired as the night went on, moreso than others, but, he played very well in Pittsburgh, so it should have been expected.Claude did try shortened shifts, but Pavelic was hot.
    Posted by bogie6

I like Caron but where do we put him?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In Response to NESN's Production Value:
    It's getting worse. I'm honestly getting nauseous with tonight's main camera jerking. Audio mix is always terrible, and they still can't cut to studio without a 3-second audio delay. No ability to put an active reporter at ice level during the period. Running replays with live audio while commentators are trying to say something new. Cutting to the corner camera the second a body hits that area, despite the obvious fact that centering passes will be attempted. Muffed replays that are live too long while the original footage goes out of focus or changes subjects. Technically speaking, it's a complete mess this season and you'd think the defending champs would get a better product out there to their audience. Sorry to rant about non-hockey issues, but as others have said...it's damaging my calm.
    Posted by asmaha

I agree.

It's a well known fact that NESN is a Redsox network;  It's alot easier to capture someone standing in one place scratching his balls for 30 minutes than it is to follow a hockey game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

as long as they get rid of that camera behind the net i'll be happy. god i hate that thing
    Posted by bostonfan191646

I only like that camera angle during PP's and for replays.  But normal live action, I'm with you, I can't stand it.  However, the WORST is the corner ice level camera.  It seems like the director sees that there's a possibility of a major collision in that corner so he has to catch.  Inevetibly, it's late, misses the hit and misses game action.  That annoys the heck out of me. 

I'd be fine if they just kept the one high action shot for ALL of the live action.  Then use all of their other angles for replays.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Other than being able to report on the "banter" between benches and the inane "ask the coach" segments, what the h-e-2 sticks in the value of a rink side reporter. Following the other major sports lead would require NESN to bring back KT to join the ranks of blond, blue-eyed eye candy we get on Sunday and Monday nights from the NFL and all throughout the season on MLB. Please let's just wish for more full ice coverage and less ice level shots and be grateful for Jack and Brick-they could be Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale or one of the other tandems you get in the league.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

That's part of it, they have played better in front of TT. But he was off the post and didn't even know it on the first goal. Having time to set up and doing it wrong is worse than getting beat by a good shot that makes you move.

In Response to Re: NESN's Production Value : Maybe Rask looked a little sloppy on the 2 he let in, but, it's another loss for a goalkeeper who let in 2 of 35 on net. It's just my take on this, but they seem to play better in front of Thomas than Rask. Rask's losses are by one goal. TT's wins are by 2 or more. He gets more goal support. Is it just me?
    Posted by gaaucoin

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Other than being able to report on the "banter" between benches and the inane "ask the coach" segments, what the h-e-2 sticks in the value of a rink side reporter. Following the other major sports lead would require NESN to bring back KT to join the ranks of blond, blue-eyed eye candy we get on Sunday and Monday nights from the NFL and all throughout the season on MLB. Please let's just wish for more full ice coverage and less ice level shots and be grateful for Jack and Brick-they could be Rick Jeanneret and Harry Neale or one of the other tandems you get in the league.
    Posted by bbbfan40

I've seen occasions (not many) when the ice level reporter has made some astute comments about things like point shot deflections (he's almost directly in line with the shot), and reviews on goals deflected in by high sticks (it's easy for him to judge the height of the stick).  And he's in a perfect spot to catch the trash talking as players head to their benches at the end of each shift.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

How ridiculous.

I grew up watching the Bruins on TV38.  If the rabbit ears were just right, you could see what was happening pretty well.  You're bent because there is a delay when they cut to the studio.

Who the heck wants to listen to an ice level reporter?  When was the last time Pierre the Phallus or Glen Healy added anything to any game besides an interruption for the coach or more base chatter? 

If you want a Hollywood quality broadcast, go rent "Miracle".

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I like the behind the net camera.
    The video from Pitt was horrible.

Ice level reporter?  How about putting someone good down there, like Derek Sanderson?

I'd like to have a 2nd color guy so that Brick doesn't have to have those goofy converstations with Jack.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Derek Sanderson was awful.  Every time anything would happen, he'd say, "Careful".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Given what they pay their producers, directors and technicians, I expect more. Not ridiculous at all. What's ridiculous is comparing them to the TV38 we all grew up with when what they should be compared with is coverage in similar hockey markets today. Technically speaking, they are well behind the curve and it's a legitimate topic of conversation.

Ok....so full disclosure here...I've shot hundreds of live sporting events, it's my profession, and NESN's technical issues are busch league and a step down from their presentation from last year. So yes, I feel perfectly qualified to make comments on their lack of technical acumen and just as interested in hearing other people's opinions on whether or not those issues are detrimental to the viewing experience at large.

But thanks for brushing off another topic with crotchety generalizations for the sake of maintaining an online persona. That's productive.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Derek Sanderson was awful.  Every time anything would happen, he'd say, "Careful".
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I worshipped Derek Sanderson.

I think it was the first game he did v. the Habs, he said really nonchalantly "oops, I think he lost a couple of chicklets on that one."  I laughed.

But my point - another color guy, I hate it when Jack does the thing where he goes "ok Brick, I'm just a guy who shot some pucks in my basement once, but tell me how it feels to shot at a real goalie.  in the nhl.  in front of 16,000 fans"  that kind of thing.  If another old pro was there it would add another dimension I think is needed.

I would pay good money to hear 2 former pros talk through a game giving candid and frank commentary.

Sections
Shortcuts