New England fans riot after championship loss

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

Re: New England fans riot after championship loss

this... http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NF1qWwegCHw/TWaHGhVwWJI/AAAAAAAAI-Y/BaHLWnQdL6w/s1600/dawson-crying.jpeg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

Who knows maybe the UMass kids were actually celebrating... they have a heavy New York population AND Victor Cruz is an alum....

Probably not the case but you don't know the intentions behind their actions.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

So, no offense, but do people in Montreal have cell phones? I hope you Vancouverites (?) will be correct! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss:
    In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : I'm not trying to split hairs, but that's not entirely true. There was the confrontation with cops that lead to the death of Victoria Snelgrove in 2004.But still, nothing on the scale of last June, though it had tragic consequences.
    Posted by red75

Horrible stuff, that. And as I recall, one of the Boston papers published a photo of the victim. On page 1, no less. Could be wrong about placement, but I can still see the image.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to New England fans riot after championship loss:
    Everything you beaneaters said about Vancouver, you now have to say about yourselves: http://www.boston.com/Boston/metrodesk/2012/02/hundreds-students-riot-umass-amherst-after-super-bowl-arrested/3JMW3WiNRhwzYa8xCMLgML/index.html
    Posted by canuxcup

Rumor has it that the whole riot was initiated by a group of exchange students from Vancouver, BC...figures!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: "the city was not burned down".
    Posted by 49-North

Yeah, who could make such an exaggeration?

Oh, and they weren't really Canucks fans either, because if they were, they would have been wearing...um...uh, never mind.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

The Victoria Snelgrove incident was not a riot situation at all (although there were some idiots trying to riot that night, with little success).  Snelgrove was part of a huge mob a college-aged kids that were 'failing to disperse' from the Kenmore Square area.  An overzealous police officer made the grave mistake of firing a pepperball into her face from ten feet away, when they should have been firing into the ground, if at all.  It was a total misuse of the device and was unnecessary by all witness accounts.  This can be confirmed by the one video of the incident and the $10 million dollar 'wrongful death' settlement paid out by the BPD.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : Yeah, who could make such an exaggeration? Oh, and they weren't really Canucks fans either, because if they were, they would have been wearing...um...uh, never mind.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL

That's not a building on fire.  Check out the perspective of the background building (or is that too much to ask?)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from grizzlybear69. Show grizzlybear69's posts

OK OK OK  IT looks like a weiner roast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : That's not a building on fire.  Check out the perspective of the background building (or is that too much to ask?)
    Posted by 49-North

This is awesome... Translation: "It wasn't really a riot because no buildings were on fire.  There were only cars engulfed in flames littering the streets amongst all the smashed windows and looting.  In Vancouver, we call that 'Wednesday'."

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

I never said "it wasn't a riot".  I'm simply responding to the typical "the city was burned to the ground" comments, which are obviously incorrect.  Yes, there were fires, but they were all vehicles.  There was damage to buildings and stores were looted.  It's a stain on Vancouver -- and the perps are now being brought to justice.

Then, of course, there's stuff like this that happens at our riots:

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Making-Out-Vancouver-Riot.gif

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

This post is is useless, every city for every sports team has drunk fans who cause damage win or lose. Some get more publicity particulalry these days with everyone having more enhanced technology. In my opinion most of the damgage is done by drunken idiotic fans who couldnt name 10 players on the teams opening nght/day roster. The Vancouver incidents get more pub for no other reason than these occured during day light hours there, therefor the pics,videos are that much clearer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzardBoots. Show BuzzardBoots's posts

I understand... it's just that sometimes some things are simply indefensible as a whole and don't lend themselves to 'degrees'.

I don't have a problem with Vancouver, I have a problem with stupid people... and this planet is absolutely rife with them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

This post is is useless, every city for every sports team has drunk fans who cause damage win or lose. Some get more publicity particulalry these days with everyone having more enhanced technology. In my opinion most of the damgage is done by drunken idiotic fans who couldnt name 10 players on the teams opening nght/day roster. The Vancouver incidents get more pub for no other reason than these occured during day light hours there, therefor the pics,videos are that much clearer.
    Posted by kelvana33

The Vancouver incidents get more pub because they were clearly, unquestionably more severe than the vast amount of "ordinary" incidents caused by stupid fans in every city, although Montreal does try to keep up.  The Vancouver riot coverage is not a function of "daylight."

49s verbal gymnastics in trying to play semantics games about whether the city was "burning" as opposed to "burned to the ground" notwithstanding.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You could see the fires from as faraway as UBC, North Vancouver and East Van. No, the city wasn't burned down, but this was one of the most severe riots in Canada since the Richard Riot. It deserved the press it got at the time. That said, the city has moved past it and the prosecutions are underway. Time to let this one go and prepare a similar eventuality in the future.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

I know this may be off base, but if the United States actually dished out harder punishments like other countries did, then maybe we wouldnt have as much illegal stuff taking place. Other countries dont mess around. Here in the US, too many do gooders and tree huggers that just wont let stuff happen. Too many people can get away with anything and all they do is maybe spend time in Jail or Prison, only to be pardoned, because we dont have enough room for the dead beats. Im all for the death penalty. You have a guy sit in Prison for 40 years on Death Row. Then they lethal inject him. Why wait 40 years and cost tax payer money to house and feed him. Makes no sense if you ask me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

If Van makes the finals, they'll still have the TVs - the mayor has said so - and I'd put the chance of another out of control riot at zero. First, the cops and transit authority know how they screwed up, and have organized a counter measures plan to make up for their short comings. Secondly, the public shaming that has happened to last year's participants will act as a deterrent. Thirdly, and most importantly, the people of Vancouver just won't tolerate it. Next time, if someone starts something, the cops won't need to intervene other than to protect the instigator, because I'd bet allmy money in my pockets that anyone who tries to start something will get an unholy beatdown by his fellow citizens. Folks outside of this city I think underestimate how embarrassed and ticked most of Vancouver's citizens were over this. Someone tries to start something like this again, and they'll get the crap kicked out of them.
    Posted by red75

And that could start a riot as well. His friends jump in to help him. Then the police try and break it up and all hell breaks loose.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

You realize that the crime rate in the US is at it's lowest in nearly 40 years, and that the States incarcerates more of its population than any other country in the world, right? Doesn't strike me as if the crime problem is as huge as some make it out to be, and with that many people in prison, they certainly aren't soft on crime.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : And that could start a riot as well. His friends jump in to help him. Then the police try and break it up and all hell breaks loose.
    Posted by lambda13

Maybe lambda.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Not criticizing just something to think about.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

You realize that the crime rate in the US is at it's lowest in nearly 40 years, and that the States incarcerates more of its population than any other country in the world, right? Doesn't strike me as if the crime problem is as huge as some make it out to be, and with that many people in prison, they certainly aren't soft on crime.
    Posted by red75

Ya because other countries dont mess around with incacerating people....One strike and your out. Prisons now adays are like all inclusive resorts. Not all of course, but they get fed, time to go outside, watch tv, workout, go to school if they want to. Other than walking around in public they have everything you and I have.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

You could see the fires from as faraway as UBC, North Vancouver and East Van. No, the city wasn't burned down, but this was one of the most severe riots in Canada since the Richard Riot. It deserved the press it got at the time. That said, the city has moved past it and the prosecutions are underway. Time to let this one go and prepare a similar eventuality in the future.
    Posted by red75

I agree wholeheartedly.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : Ya because other countries dont mess around with incacerating people....One strike and your out. Prisons now adays are like all inclusive resorts. Not all of course, but they get fed, time to go outside, watch tv, workout, go to school if they want to. Other than walking around in public they have everything you and I have.
    Posted by bgrif008

Except for voting, freedom, family, husband/wife, income, driving, personal belongings, and a future I'd say I agree with you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: New England fans riot after championship loss : Ya because other countries dont mess around with incacerating people....One strike and your out. Prisons now adays are like all inclusive resorts. Not all of course, but they get fed, time to go outside, watch tv, workout, go to school if they want to. Other than walking around in public they have everything you and I have.
    Posted by bgrif008

Read the book "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. It may enlighten you to the actual realities of the American prison system, and possibly change your mind a bit. Not going to argue the point, this is a hockey board afterall, just some suggested reading.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

bgrif, One of my good friends is in Mass state prison, and it ain't no all inclusive resort.  It's hell, and he wishes to God he didn't do what he did to end up there.  I get what you're saying, but you can't paint that picture of prison life in the US -- it is still a horrible way to live (as it should be).

I think we need to give 49 a break here.  He's never backed away from saying how disgusting the Vancouver riots were, and it was his city that got trashed.  Riots can happen anywhere, they're always bad, and we should do everything we can to prevent them.

The OP is still an idiot for wishfully thinking there was a riot after the Super Bowl.

Sections
Shortcuts