New lines when Savy and Sturm come back

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: New lines when Savy and Sturm come back

I gotta agree with dez, as usual.  This discussion is about the forward lines and how they will be adjusted with the return of Sturm and Savard.

So, Chara really has no bearing on that at all.

And, Chara is the veritable backbone of the team and one of the best defensmen in the league.  Complaining about him makes no sense.  I understand he had a bad game in Tampa.  It happens when you play 27 minutes a night against the top goal-assist duo in the entire league.  It changes nothing about his value to the team.  He is irreplaceable.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Very amusing to come to this thread immediately after reading the thread where everyone is giving Claude a prostate exam for his inflexibility.  "Be more flexible, Claude!  Here, use these set line combinations!" 

I have to agree with nrguy - why would you break up the one duo on the team that has real and productive chemistry right now?  The only thing that has slowed down Lucic/Horton is the adjustment to a new centre - first a couple of off games getting used to Bergeron, now a couple of weaker games getting back with DK.  Other than that, you're talking about two guys who seem to find each other. Don't mess with it results to test a theory.

I'm also looking for NAS's answer to Chowdah- re: the very Stanely-esque comment about Wheeler.  Maybe we should read it as Hamill?

Anyway - as a starting point, I'd try this:

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Bergeron-Savard-Seguin
    Sturm-Wheeler-Recchi
    Marchand-Campbell-Thornton

This assumes that the conventional wisdom solution comes to pass, so Ryder and Paille are off the roster.  Caron is in Providence or an extra body cap permitting.  Bergeron gets increased offensive opportunity (and then some) as Savard's left wing and provides a conscience for MS and the rook.  Wheeler stays at centre, where some say he's been better (jury's out), and plays with two real pros on that third line.  He doesn't hustle, he'll stick out.

Ryder's the easiest body to move.  He deserves to stay in the NHL based on his performance this year, but that's not really PC's call.  Someone will either make a deal with PC or pick him off of waivers.  The uncertainty around Sturm - especially since he had to have a second procedure (I did read that somewhere, right?) - tempts me to try to keep Ryder, but I don't see how it can be done.  Paille is what he is - expendable for this roster but maybe useful in another place.  Caron hasn't been bad, but he's not progressing or producing enough to justify a roster spot.  If the cap room was there, I might keep him in the press box, but he's probably better off playing on Colborne's wing in Providence for a while.  Those cuts remove some $6M from the roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One more reason moving Chara's not a solution - it would allow you to keep more forwards than you have spots to play.  What are they going to do, dress 15 forwards every night?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

WOW BB, you're usually fairly perceptive, but Bergie on the wing in Claude's restrictive system, no thanks. Good to think of a way to keep Wheeler at center where he is obviously working harder, still not too many results, but, maybe it's Claude's restrictions that limit his performance on the wing. Having said this , maybe it's Claude's system that is causing tune out by a varying number of players. Also the only one who relishes the "system" is Chara, and if he has anoff nite lookout baby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFW826. Show DFW826's posts

Looch - Savvy - Horton
    Rex - Bergie - Seguin
    Caron - Krech - Sturm
    Thorton - Soup - Marchand / Ryder

Chara - Boychuk
    Stuart - Seidenberg
    Ferrence - McQuaid

Tuukka / Thomas swapping it out - we've got two #1 goalies and should use them as such.

Healthy Scratch: Hunwick, Wheeler

(this is in a salary cap free ideal situation of course)

Savvy HAS to be on the line with Horton - those two are going to light it up, mark my words.  Savvy made Kovalchuk and Kessel a TON of money and now he's going to prove how much Horton is worth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

See, I don't think Claude's system is restrictive when it comes to offense, except that you have to take care of your defensive responsibilities first, and then you can attack however you choose.  I think Bergeron would find a winger's responsibilities to be child's play, and he's one of the few players who drives the net off the boards, out of the corner, and from the blue line.  I thnk he could be effective there, even in this system, playing a version of the game Lucic has played with great success this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Bergeron could play any forward position under any system.His versatility is his greatest asset.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: New lines when Savy and Sturm come back:
    Campbell is a must play in my book. Horton-Krejci-Sturm Lucic-Savard-Wheeler (finally gets a chance with a top playmaker)Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi *****-Campbell-Thornton  (Marchand/Caron) Posted by Not-A-Shot

Laughing out loud apparently you've forgotten that Julien tried the mucker with Savard last season Blake did nothing. Shaking my head at Mattb's assertion that Campbell hasn't been the most consistent Bruin forward this year.

Lucic-Krejci-Horton
    Bergeron-Savard-Seguin
    Sturm-Wheeler-Recchi
    Marchand-Campbell-Thornton

Caron is the extra forward

^That's sound advice from Book its' the only way "No Edge" stays because PC doesn't want another Versteeg trade!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: New lines when Savy and Sturm come back : I'm not debating your lineup because it's a good one but your comment about Wheeler I don't understand . Krejci isn't a top playmaker ? Wheeler has played with him quite a bit in the past . And what's Thornton doing in your lineup considering you have stated in the past your dislike for him as an NHL player ? Isn't that type of player ( fighter ) going the way of the Dodo bird ? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you used those words . From your previous posts I'd figure that Thornton would be an obvious omission from your team . Have you changed your opinion on him ?
    Posted by Chowdahkid-

Krejci isn't a top playmaker yet.  When he checks in with a point per game performance over a couple of seasons, I'll freely label him as such.  I expect hiim to be there in his career, but I don't think he is just yet.  For as much as I cannot stand Savard, the man can pass the puck with the best in the league.

I put Thornton in there simply because there is no way Claude will take him out.  It was more of me just accepting it than endorsing it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In Response to Re: New lines when Savy and Sturm come back : Krejci isn't a top playmaker yet.  When he checks in with a point per game performance over a couple of seasons, I'll freely label him as such.  I expect hiim to be there in his career, but I don't think he is just yet.  For as much as I cannot stand Savard, the man can pass the puck with the best in the league. I put Thornton in there simply because there is no way Claude will take him out.  It was more of me just accepting it than endorsing it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Fair enough . Thanks for replying .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

OK Bb, Bergie can play any position, and Lucic has been successful because it fits his up and down style. What appears to be the biggest problem is that speedier forwards are not content in confining their skills to Claude's system, so Like Horton, They tune him out. This exacerbates the problem and appears as lack of passion because they slow down to make sure they do what Claude dictates because they want to play. Caron has been developing well, and Claude likes him, because he is an up and down wing and strong on the boards. Seguin, on the wing, will be a different story because he loves to use speed to create goals. Wheeler also needs the freedom of center to use his speed and create opportunities. Claude's system has helped the Bruins evolution, but, it's possible that this restrictive system will be a limitation that the young guns coming along will challenge or be confused

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

OK Bb, Bergie can play any position, and Lucic has been successful because it fits his up and down style. What appears to be the biggest problem is that speedier forwards are not content in confining their skills to Claude's system, so Like Horton, They tune him out. This exacerbates the problem and appears as lack of passion because they slow down to make sure they do what Claude dictates because they want to play. Caron has been developing well, and Claude likes him, because he is an up and down wing and strong on the boards. Seguin, on the wing, will be a different story because he loves to use speed to create goals. Wheeler also needs the freedom of center to use his speed and create opportunities. Claude's system has helped the Bruins evolution, but, it's possible that this restrictive system will be a limitation that the young guns coming along will challenge or be confused
    Posted by Bogie6

If Horton gets a point per game while tuning him out I  can only imagine his numbers if he'd listen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from IShawnPI. Show IShawnPI's posts

Hey BB, moving Sturm and keeping Ryder is easy. You take Sturm off IR before Savard, then kick him to the minors. Once he passes through waivers, and you find a place for Paille we can bring Savard back....

Sections
Shortcuts