New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!

Check out the video fly-through.  This is one sweet architectural job!

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=631867&navid=DL|EDM|home

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!

Looks so futuristic.

With Hopkins, Hall, Eberle, Murray, etc. there could be a pretty good team playing there in a few years. Gotta be exciting for Edmenton.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Saw the initial drawings a few weeks ago. This makes me even more impressed - could rival the Candian Human Rights Museum as the most architecturally creative building in Western Canada.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Nice design.  Like the Apple Headquarters design for Cupertino: 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

I like the landing pad for the Starship Enterprise on the Roof.

The interior looks like all the rest

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

How come nobody's wearing a sweater in the Stage End Club?

Pink hats. Yeesh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Two rows of suites is the way most new arenas are going now. Honda Center and Staples have three but they have a bigger metropolis to fill them.

Did the city of Edmonton tax residents for the construction ? Or was it privately funded ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

quite lovely. thanks for the post.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Looks awesome.  A lot of skanks hanging out in the lounge though, no?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!:
    [QUOTE]Looks awesome.  A lot of skanks hanging out in the lounge though, no?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Seems like a fun place to be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]Two rows of suites is the way most new arenas are going now. Honda Center and Staples have three but they have a bigger metropolis to fill them. Did the city of Edmonton tax residents for the construction ? Or was it privately funded ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I think the budget is $450m, and it looks like they're searching for the final $100m from the province.  It looks like most of the rest is from the City, but I'm not sure.  Maybe red has some more info on that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

OK, just found it in an Edmonton Journal article:

"The arena is scheduled to be funded with $100 million from the Katz Group, $125 million from a ticket tax and $125 million from property taxes on downtown growth and other city revenue.

Provincial politicians have repeatedly turned down the idea that the province cover the final $100 million, but Mandel said he’s not worried."

(Mandel is Edmonton's Mayor).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Hahahaha a ton of em...

Just waiting for Eberle and Hall to come out of the locker room...

What a building though...

Community rink off to the side is a cool aspect as well...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

So far it's split between the city, Katz, and a new ticket tax. They're hoping to get support from the province that would allow them to put a levy on new construction in the downtown core that would cover the $100 million they're short.

Beyond the project though, Katz is throwing in an additional $100 million into public works investment in the area, and in the long term it's believed the ticket tax should reimburse most if not all of the City's investment, so it may not be a bad deal for the city - long run get a rink, get paid back for it, and get an extra $100 million in public investment.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!:[QUOTE]Looks awesome.  A lot of skanks hanging out in the lounge though, no? Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I think I've seen allot of them on Plenty O Skanks...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Haha, love where this thread went.

I suppose if your Edmonton and you want to attract free agent sna d keep the young core they have you better have a state of the art faciltiy...

...skanks don't hurt either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I think they are waiting to audition for Ice Girls or Edmonton Eskimos's Cheerleaders. Pretty cool how things change in time "we are the children of concrete and steel." ...

Overall nice building, I think I will build one in my backyard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Hopefully the new area will have the same great ice surface

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Tom Renney won't be a part of it.  He was fired today.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

And, following suit with all other new NHL teams, the interior (where you pay your money to sit and what you see when you watch the game on TV) looks like every other new rink in the NHL.

Too bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just saw this quote on TSN

"

The price tag for the project has reached $532 million as a result of surrounding infrastructure including cost of land, transit connections, and sidewalks."

Wow, construction costs sure have skyrocketed in the last 7 years - I know it's slightly smaller, but when MTS opened 7 years ago, it cost $133 million. I know it's larger and property values in Edmonton are slightly higher, nut that doesn't account for a $400 million difference.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Curves are more expensive than straight lines.  I sure hope they don't "dumb down" the design to save money.   As is, it would easily be the best looking arena in the league.  The Winter Garden is a brilliant idea, as is the community rink.  If they start lopping these things off, and cheapening the exterior, then they may as well just build a brick box.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Just saw this quote on TSN " The price tag for the project has reached $532 million as a result of surrounding infrastructure including cost of land, transit connections, and sidewalks." Wow, construction costs sure have skyrocketed in the last 7 years - I know it's slightly smaller, but when MTS opened 7 years ago, it cost $133 million. I know it's larger and property values in Edmonton are slightly higher, but that doesn't account for a $400 million difference.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Are the sidewalks made of gold up there?  How does the cost of sidewalks make the "this is so expensive because" list?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

They are moving sidewalks that repel snow and there are beer dispensers every 50 meters.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Geez, why didn't they just spell it out in big letters "lots of potential for upskirt here" and point out the best vantage places with arrows?

Sections
Shortcuts