New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!

Speaking of arenas, whatever happened to TD Garden Phases II and III? Weren't Bruins fans supposed to get a rink and outdoor community area (that's more than fenced-in parking lot) and other developments on the North End/95 side of the arena?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!!:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of arenas, whatever happened to TD Garden Phases II and III? Weren't Bruins fans supposed to get a rink and outdoor community area (that's more than fenced-in parking lot) and other developments on the North End/95 side of the arena?
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

I don't remember hearing anything about this.  It would be great if they had done something with it to make it a building unique to Boston (inside and out) instead of just a building in Boston.

As I stated earlier in this thread, this is the way the new buildings are.  Every one of them looks very similar inside.  At least the Belle (of the Ball?) Center has a cool color scheme.  TD Garden has to be the lamest arena on the planet.  It's not the worst, it's just lame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree NAS that the interiors of most of the new rinks lack any individuality or a sense of character. That's part of why I wished the new Jets had figured out a way to incorporate that portrait of the Queen into the MTS Centre. May have been odd and quirky, but it gave the old barn something unique and a bit of character.

And 49, I just remembered that Thomson already owned the land the MTS was built on, so that also is a reason for the lower price.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok, that is it.  TD Bank Garden pales to the old Garden to noise and simple stale beer smells.  Afterall, more "shanks" showed up after the TD whatever is was called was built.  So what was your point NAS?  The point is always more important than the size of the object.  Heh?  I just hope the ice is as good for skating, my only point.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Ok, that is it.  TD Bank Garden pales to the old Garden to noise and simple stale beer smells.  Afterall, more "shanks" showed up after the TD whatever is was called was built.  So what was your point NAS?  The point is always more important than the size of the object.  Heh?  I just hope the ice is as good for skating, my only point.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

My point is that I enjoy going to a building that is unique to the city.  I go to baseball parks all over America to experience this place or that place.

TD Garden is BORING.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : My point is that I enjoy going to a building that is unique to the city.  I go to baseball parks all over America to experience this place or that place. TD Garden is BORING.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I agree the Garden has nothing that says, the Original 6 Boston Bruins play here. yes the banners, logos are their but as far as rinks go its a plain jane. I realize they all have to have ice surfaces that meet length and width nowadays and cant have quirky dimensions like most ballparks, but they could do more as could alot of the other rinks around the league. Belle Centre has the colors like you said but it's weird, you can see the tradition.

Heres some things I liked about other/older rinks:

Buffalo - the ice in the net was yellow.
    Quebec -  blue dashboards and the bottom of the boards was blue.
    Chicago- the organ,national anthem, atmosphere etc.
    Montreal, color scheme, loved how there was no glass behind the bench and the bigwigs were all in suits behind it.
    Boston - the small ice surface,glass swaying back and forth on a Neely hit and though there were seats behind poles the corwd was almost right on top of the ice.
    Hartford - I hated it then, but I miss the Brass bonanza.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

With arenas, there seems to be less 'license for interesting design' (at least, in the interior) than stadia.  You're fully enclosed, and the basic principle is that the closer and steeper the upper deck is, the better the viewing experience, so almost every building now follows the same basic design scheme.  Maybe Staples Center looks a bit different with that wall of private boxes, but it's still basically the same as everything else.

A lot of football stadia have also suffered from cookie cutter syndrome, which is why I like Soldier Field, which is a masterful job of incorporating a modern, innovative design into the framework of a historic stadium (the cantilevered scoreboards are amazing). For me, it's the best stadium reno ever.  Second would be my "home" stadium, BC Place, which was transformed from a 'cookie cutter' air dome to a very cool modern facility.

Baseball stadia have fared the best in terms of unique designs, simply because there is more leeway given to the dimensions of the field.  I mean, what other sport allows Fenway Park and Minute Maid Park (with that crazy hill in center field) to both be completely acceptable 'regulation' playing fields?  Simply because of those idiocyncracies, I think baseball stadia are built with more whimsy than other 'more serious' sports stadia. 

I think the one place where venue imagination has been able to run wild are the exterior facades.  Watching the UEFA Champions League Final yesterday, the exterior of Allianz Arena is beautiful!  And places like the Beijing "Birds Nest" Stadium still stick in the memory.  That's why I hope they don't dumb down the exterior of the new Oilers arena.  In a city as architecturally drab as Edmonton, they need something like this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Not a lot of variety allowed in the indoor schemes of hockey arenas, but still, TD Garden is just no fun.  It just seems as generic as it gets.  No character.  I know that baseball has tons of variability and creativity in the parks, but seriously, that is something that the NHL should aspire to, even if they have much tighter parameters in design.  If they had 10% of the variability in baseball parks it would be better.

I used to go to the Beanpot in the old Garden and it was insane -- one of my favorite times of year.  The whole spirit of the thing just about died when they went to the Fleet Center.  Opposing fans were suddenly a mile apart and the student sections were a football field away from the ice.  I know the new arenas have to be bigger and have luxury box sections to be viable, but there has to be some design creativity.

I know that college hockey arenas operate from a totally different marketing and revenue structure, but there are really cool college rinks that are unique from campus to campus.

I like hockey 100 times better than baseball, but I agree with others here that touring out of town parks is fantastic in baseball.  The games are almost secondary.  The buildings are just plain boring in hockey.  And TD Garden is one of the worst.

Fewer skanks in the lounges too...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Not a lot of variety allowed in the indoor schemes of hockey arenas, but still, TD Garden is just no fun.  It just seems as generic as it gets.  No character.  I know that baseball has tons of variability and creativity in the parks, but seriously, that is something that the NHL should aspire to, even if they have much tighter parameters in design.  If they had 10% of the variability in baseball parks it would be better. I used to go to the Beanpot in the old Garden and it was insane -- one of my favorite times of year.  The whole spirit of the thing just about died when they went to the Fleet Center.  Opposing fans were suddenly a mile apart and the student sections were a football field away from the ice.  I know the new arenas have to be bigger and have luxury box sections to be viable, but there has to be some design creativity. I know that college hockey arenas operate from a totally different marketing and revenue structure, but there are really cool college rinks that are unique from campus to campus. I like hockey 100 times better than baseball, but I agree with others here that touring out of town parks is fantastic in baseball.  The games are almost secondary.  The buildings are just plain boring in hockey.  And TD Garden is one of the worst. Fewer skanks in the lounges too...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Agreed Fletch, but there are some architects who have been able to come up some amazing interiors for hockey at a higher level, though they're few and far between.

The Ericsson Globe, home of Sweden's national team, has one of the most brilliant, and surprisingly intimate, interior designs of any arena in the world (google it to check it out). IT would be nice to see more rinks comeup with interior designs that are unique, yet still offer great sightlines and amenities.

two interior shots of the Globe
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Globen_interior1.jpg
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Globen_interior2.jpg

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : Agreed Fletch, but there are some architects who have been able to come up some amazing interiors for hockey at a higher level, though they're few and far between. The Ericsson Globe, home of Sweden's national team, has one of the most brilliant, and surprisingly intimate, interior designs of any arena in the world (google it to check it out). IT would be nice to see more rinks comeup with interior designs that are unique, yet still offer great sightlines and amenities.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

That's what I mean -- this is an NHL problem.  If I had to name my ten favorite rinks, they would probably all be college arenas.  I'm sure that the NHL architects have some revenue generating formula that causes them to all copy the same design, but it stinks.  And someday, some team will break the trend and develop something really cool.  Too bad it wasn't the Bruins.  They stuck to the formula all the way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : That's what I mean -- this is an NHL problem.  If I had to name my ten favorite rinks, they would probably all be college arenas.  I'm sure that the NHL architects have some revenue generating formula that causes them to all copy the same design, but it stinks.  And someday, some team will break the trend and develop something really cool.  Too bad it wasn't the Bruins.  They stuck to the formula all the way.

Yeah Fletch, maybe Quebec or Seattle will pleasantly surprise u. Quebec's supposed to break ground this fall, and I haven't seen any concept art for it yet

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Nevermind - here's a pic of the interior (I'd only seen exterior shots before)

http://images.lpcdn.ca/924x615/201204/12/490273-configuration-arena-permet-public-toujours.jpg

That 360 degree window on the top concourse is original at least.

The players tunnels to  the ice from the dressing room will also be all glass on one side, opening up to the concourse so fans can see them take the ice and get photos - interesting.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : Yeah Fletch, maybe Quebec or Seattle will pleasantly surprise u. Quebec's supposed to break ground this fall, and I haven't seen any concept art for it yet
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I hope you're right red.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : I hope you're right red.

Check my above post Fletch - I think Quebec is at least trying. That window will certainly set it apart - imagine a hockey rink with some natural light in it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : Check my above post Fletch - I think Quebec is at least trying. That window will certainly set it apart - imagine a hockey rink with some natural light in it.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  It's something.  It looks different.  You'll know the game's in Quebec when you see it on tv, unlike many of the interchangeable arenas now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Found a video fly through - some is pretty basic, but somethings are pretty interesting and unique. Different enough to set their rink interior apart from the rest. I love the window, like the player tunnels, and I think the open concourses are a good idea.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1163307

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In defense of the views of the old Boston Garden, it was the best of being near the ice.  Built for boxing, it was heaven if you were even on the balcony.  The problem was in the obvious, the rat population grew in the surrounding areas when it was torn down.  JJ though built the stadium in a square footage spike period.  It was the best for what he paid for given the economic times and political aspects of the period, not going there.  Anywho I agree the metal planks on the loge seats is missed in the new garden, what noise would arise from that foot stomping! Yelling at the refs was far easier too, Wally Harris sucks still sticks in my mind. SOOOOO, the noise has not been replicated. So I capitulate, the old garden did have a certain charm.  Lastly I was young visiting the old garden. It was a haven for my love of hockey, stale beer, but it was sorely lacking in other visual delights. So agreed the new garden is architecturally weak, sterile in design, and but better than the old garden with regards to hygiene.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Detroit is also planning new digs...

http://www.canada.com/sports/basketball/Wings+look+build+arena+Detroit/6668093/story.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I'm not a big fan of American airlines Arena, the only hockey rink that the group Illitch hired has designed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]Looks awesome.  A lot of skanks hanging out in the lounge though, no?

Given.  It's Edmonton.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I've seen a few artists drawings all ready. The fact of the matter is, this issue is still not a done deal. The Province has said no to any funding and the the city taxpayers have said no. Katz has put a limit on how much he's putting in ( expecting the province and the city to pony up). Then there is Northlands to deal with ( the current manager of Rexall Place or the Drugstore). They are adamant that they be involved in managing the new rink.

You can have anyone make a drawing. You still need the cash to build it. This is not a done deal.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]I've seen a few artists drawings all ready. The fact of the matter is, this issue is still not a done deal. The Province has said no to any funding and the the city taxpayers have said no. Katz has put a limit on how much he's putting in ( expecting the province and the city to pony up). Then there is Northlands to deal with ( the current manager of Rexall Place or the Drugstore). They are adamant that they be involved in managing the new rink. You can have anyone make a drawing. You still need the cash to build it. This is not a done deal.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

True, but at least now you have something that people can get excited about, and perhaps they'll start putting some pressure on their elected representatives to get this deal done.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : True, but at least now you have something that people can get excited about, and perhaps they'll start putting some pressure on their elected representatives to get this deal done.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

What it's done is make all the non hockey taxpayers mad. It's not a done deal, but yet the Katz group trots out artists drawings for a rink that isn't funded. This is NOT good buisness. Read. The rink is NOT FUNDED ! They may as well show a picture of rink on the moon for what it's worth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: New Oilers Arena -- gorgeous!! : What it's done is make all the non hockey taxpayers mad. It's not a done deal, but yet the Katz group trots out artists drawings for a rink that isn't funded. This is NOT good buisness. Read. The rink is NOT FUNDED ! They may as well show a picture of rink on the moon for what it's worth.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

I don't pretend to be in touch with the Edmonton political scene -- I live one province away -- but there are certainly different approaches to reaching a politically-charged objective.  Perhaps there have been a series of meetings between the potential funding partners already, and haven't gotten too far, and now is the time for the team to trot out their pretty drawings, get the hockey fans excited and exerting some political pressure on the province.  Perhaps the province wanted to see a plan and some preliminary costing in order to know the size of the funding gap (it certainly affects the budget somewhat whether you decide to build a brick and steel box, or a shiny glass teardrop).

Perhaps the proponents are sending a message: "Here's the opportunity -- if we don't take it, then remember who shot down the project when the next election comes".

As with any major ($400m +) project, there are going to be funding challenges.  There are going to be people, groups, politicians opposed (those who always say :"we should be spending money on schools and hospitals, not pleasure palaces for millionaire athletes") -- just as there will be people in support (restaurants and bars downtown, as well as sports fans).  I think this is all just part of the tug-of-war which goes on with all megaprojects.  In the end, it'll either get built, or it won't.  And it will be up to the historians to decide whether Katz & Co. took the right approach or not, and whether the politicians made the right decision, or not.