New Third Line

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

New Third Line

I'm still not impressed with Ryder's puck hog/lazy play, but with Peverly and Kelly out there, it's like a Heart Attack Line.  Those two don't stop skating.  They're everywhere.  This team has come a long way this season and an incredibly long way from just a few years ago.

Unlike many corpse hockey games in the past, these games are fun to watch!  It's great to watch the opposition fumble with the puck and make terrible too quick passes because these guys are right in their faces almost immediately after they get the puck.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Re: New Third Line

In Response to New Third Line:
    I'm still not impressed with Ryder's puck hog/lazy play, but with Peverly and Kelly out there, it's like a Heart Attack Line.  Those two don't stop skating.  They're everywhere.  This team has come a long way this season and an incredibly long way from just a few years ago. Unlike many corpse hockey games in the past, these games are fun to watch!  It's great to watch the opposition fumble with the puck and make terrible too quick passes because these guys are right in their faces almost immediately after they get the puck.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I actually noticed Ryder a lot tonight and thought he was working his a$s off. He looked pretty fast out on the ice tonight. But maybe that's just me. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line:
    In Response to New Third Line : I actually noticed Ryder a lot tonight and thought he was working his a$s off. He looked pretty fast out on the ice tonight. But maybe that's just me. 
    Posted by callodthedom19

The line has been buzzing and we know the guy can score so I've been trying to watch him a lot closer to figure out what the heck his deal is.

Three plays stick out in my mind.  Two were pass or shoot plays where his could dish the puck or take a straight on, no screen quick wrister (think of #81).  Each time he took the flick with no goal.  The other one was when he had the puck down by the goal line.  I can't remember if he missed the puck initially, overskated it or it was a rebound.  Anyway, instead of changing gears quickly and taking a couple of fast strides to get the puck, he just reached for it...not once but twice.  All I could think was, "If that guy really wanted to score, he would have moved his whole body, not just his arms."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line : The line has been buzzing and we know the guy can score so I've been trying to watch him a lot closer to figure out what the heck his deal is. Three plays stick out in my mind.  Two were pass or shoot plays where his could dish the puck or take a straight on, no screen quick wrister (think of #81).  Each time he took the flick with no goal.  The other one was when he had the puck down by the goal line.  I can't remember if he missed the puck initially, overskated it or it was a rebound.  Anyway, instead of changing gears quickly and taking a couple of fast strides to get the puck, he just reached for it...not once but twice.  All I could think was, "If that guy really wanted to score, he would have moved his whole body, not just his arms."
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

If he didn't shoot though people would be like "Shoot! Shoot!" Ryder is who he is, an overpaid semi-sniper. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line : If he didn't shoot though people would be like "Shoot! Shoot!" Ryder is who he is, an overpaid semi-sniper. 
    Posted by callodthedom19

What people would yell, what his NHL2K11 label is, or what his contract pays doesn't change the fact that in both instances, a pass would have been a decent option.  He fails to make that pass often, which is why I used the term "puck hog".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line : What people would yell, what his NHL2K11 label is, or what his contract pays doesn't change the fact that in both instances, a pass would have been a decent option.  He fails to make that pass often, which is why I used the term "puck hog".
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

I'll call PC, maybe he can buyout Ryder and I can get him to sign you for the 4mil so you can make those passes instead of shooting and shooting instead of passing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In basketball, he wouldn't be a shooter, he'd be a chucker.

Earlier in the year, Ryder was playing better than he had in years largely because he was making smart plays to set up Seguin.  I'm hoping he'll get that chemistry with Peverly and Kelly so that he sees Peverly uncovered on the two on one and feeds him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Agree with a lot NAS says re: the third line and the associated excitement.

The way the third line has been playing since it was formed really does change the way the Bruins play. It allows us to pressure the opposition with 3 lines, forcing them to mess with any matchups they have, making them more tired, and allowing the KHL line to take advantage of sloppy plays.

I've kind of accepted that Ryder is Ryder, which to me means I am waiting for his deal to run out, that I expect 0.5ppg knowing that it could be 3 goals ina  game followed by none in the next 6, throw in some decent checking and a couple of big goals. Huge overpayment for what he's getting, but on the third line we have, it actually works for the time being.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The third line is more impressive than we've seen , and in the games where Ryder does skate, as he can, they are very very good. Ryder is just plain lazy. A side effect is the 4th line shows that Seguin is learning and playing hard, and Thornton continues to demonstrate zero hockey skills and is more of a detriment to this team than any other player. Paille would be a much better match with Seguin. Hopefully Rex retires; Ryder fades away as Arneil , Caron, or Sauve steps up, and Thornton becomes an inspirational minor league coach.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line : I'll call PC, maybe he can buyout Ryder and I can get him to sign you for the 4mil so you can make those passes instead of shooting and shooting instead of passing.
    Posted by callodthedom19

Is that how it's going to be between you and me?

Are you going to join fools like pauly and dusty and just post stupid comments unrelated to hockey 100% of the time?

I thought we had a good rapport, but if you want to join them, that's fine.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

The thing with all 3 players that the B's aquired, is that they all came from teams that were not going to make the playoffs or may just slip in....Anyway, they come to a stanley cup contending team and it gives them a new lease on life and excitement that make them want to play better hockey. That affect is starting to trickle down to the rest of the team. Its like a new start for the next month and a half.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Nas,
    I have seen the "puck hog" take of things, but kind of had a different approach.  As BB said I think ryder was playing a better game earlier (well more complete).. I think he trusted seguin though being the difference.. 2 seasons with wheeler unable to finish things, and a bruins team that struggles to bury the puck at times I think he may have taken it on himself to just go out and do it.. Most of the "better games" ryder has played in peoples opinions, are games where he has hit, and he has scored goals on his own.. I am still remembering a PP goal earlier in the season where he skated in from the blue line on 2 guys by himself..
    He has always been a shoot first guy no doubt, but with his contract up at the end of the year, I am starting to wonder if he has just taken on the attitude that "If I want it done I will have to do it myself"..

Maybe the Peaverly goal the other night will change that some.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I've always felt that speed lines are synergestic.  It makes sense logically, as the more speed skaters on a given line, the better the chances for a 2 on 1 or even a 3 on 1.  It's about having a center who can get down the ice as well as two wingers who can get down the ice, maximizing your chances for break-aways.

That being the case, I dont think it makes much sense to have Ryder on a speed line.  I'd almost rather see him on the second line (in place of rex).  In Julien's system, lines 2 and 3 get very similar ice time, so its not like its a promotion.  Just a lateral move to put him in a role that is better suited for his strenghts.

I think I'd go with:
    Lucic Krejci Horton
    Marchand Bergeron Ryder
    Kelly Peverly Seguin (all speed)
    Thornton Campbell Recchi

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I've always felt that speed lines are synergestic.  It makes sense logically, as the more speed skaters on a given line, the better the chances for a 2 on 1 or even a 3 on 1.  It's about having a center who can get down the ice as well as two wingers who can get down the ice, maximizing your chances for break-aways. That being the case, I dont think it makes much sense to have Ryder on a speed line.  I'd almost rather see him on the second line (in place of rex).  In Julien's system, lines 2 and 3 get very similar ice time, so its not like its a promotion.  Just a lateral move to put him in a role that is better suited for his strenghts. I think I'd go with: Lucic Krejci Horton Marchand Bergeron Ryder Kelly Peverly Seguin (all speed) Thornton Campbell Recchi
    Posted by Drewski5

The second line has been playing great.  No need to mess with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Kelly and Peverly have been very good in their third-line roles in my opinion. As for Ryder, well, he is very miscast as a checker. He does a few noticeable rushes once in a while, lets off a wicked shot that normally misses the net, and then disappears for long stretches. This is his m.o. and all for the price of a Lucic. There is a reason he is the only regular Bruins forward with a minus +/-....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I really like what Peverly brings, speed, skill and grit.  The third line is much better at maintaining the team's momentum now.  I don't know if Ryder is what I would call a puck hog, but when he is on his game he makes good puck decisions and when he is off he makes bad ones.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'll agree with NaS's assessment.
    Peverly and Kelly will both make Ryder look better and adaptable to "the system" and maybe give him more options than Mr. Softee Wheeler did, but old habits die hard. He still doesn't move into open areas too well and holds the puck way too long. But as long as he shows up for the playoffs and then rides off into the sunset, I'm fine with his play and his place on this line.

On the other hand there have been a number of folks who are all asking the same question as me, why isn't Paille the other winger on the 4th line? Thornton is a decent character guy but really has no business out there. Paille/Campbell/Seguin = speed and space. How'd you think other teams would like to face them with their bottom lines?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I'll agree with NaS's assessment. Peverly and Kelly will both make Ryder look better and adaptable to "the sysyem" and maybe give him more options than Mr. Softee Wheeler did, but old habits die hard. He still doesn't move into open areas too well and holds the puck way too long. But as long as he shows up for the playoffs and then rides off into the sunset, I'm fine with his play and his place on this line. On the other hand there have been a number of folks who are all asking the same question as me, why isn't Paille the other winger on the 4th line? Thornton is a decent character guy but really has no business out there. Paille/Campbell/Seguin = speed and space. How'd you think other teams would like to face them with their bottom lines?
    Posted by seobrien

Got to agree with you on Thornton. He was worse than useless last night. It seems like he is wearing down or something and he is not even initiating contact consistantly anymore. It is not like he is employed for his puck handling skills....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Speed isn't worth much by itself.. The bruins are fine killing the penalty of late and that is paille's only value.. Before you get to down on thronton for his lack of skills, bear in mind he has scored at a higher rate then paille..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

I took notice that Kelly wins draws which is a big help. Taking Rechhi away from the third line could be a chemistry mistake but like to see Seguin try RW for back to back gms. to give Rex a rest. Paille can take the 4th line duties when Seguin takes Rex spot. Thornton can sit out some gms. to let Paille and Seguin play and be play off ready

Alternating Lines for remaining season:

Looch Krejci Horton (the power line)

(1)Marchand Bergy Rex (secondary scoring line)
    (2)Marchand Bergy Seguin (back to back gms)

Peverly Kelly Ryder (keep this line together to build stronger chemistry)

(1) Seguin Camp. Thorn
    (2) Paille Camp Seguin
    (3) Paille Camp. Thorn

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

In Response to Re: New Third Line : Is that how it's going to be between you and me? Are you going to join fools like pauly and dusty and just post stupid comments unrelated to hockey 100% of the time? I thought we had a good rapport, but if you want to join them, that's fine.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot

Last time I check PC was GM of the Bruins. That has everything to do with hockey.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

I would add one arguement to the mix in support of seguin on the 4th line..

Kessel never did his time on the 4th line, and one of the knocks on kessel is he doesnt score big goals.. He doesnt get his nose dirty.. Marchand and lucic are both graduates of the 4th line, lucic has scored some big goals, marchand is in his first year but is getting it done, but they have the ability to get in there and score dirty goals, to score beyond the perimeter, I would argue seguin's offensive game needs work in that department more than any other part..

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Bruins were very sleepy last night, so I didn't notice much in the way of a hitting game.  I noticed two hits all night.  Both...by Tyler Seguin?  Both were of the finish your man, pressure the puck variety, one in the defensive zone and one in the offensive zone.

I also saw a lot of frustration with TS standing wide open looking for a pass that would become an easy goal, and even if you don't mind Thornton you have to admit he plays with his head down when he has the puck.  Campbell's not much more of a distributor. 

So - Seggy Stardust isn't lighting up the board, but I saw a lot of signs that he's playing a better game on that fourth line, maybe because he putting pressure on himself to score.  That is "I'm on a line with Soup and Thornton; they're not out here to generate scoring chances."

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ryder's game is to pick up garbage goals, wait for rebounds and bounces.  He is sound positionally, but I agree with NAS is not in synch with Kelly and Peverly.  A few more weeks with the line then try something else.  I have to admit there are not too many line choices for Ryder play at this point.  Seguin is not ready for prime time all the time.  BTW Ryder will be on the Bs next year in my not so humble opinion. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Roler, I'll take that stat with a grain of salt. Thornton does have career highs...blah blah blah, but has looked really awful the last month or so, I think we'd all agree on that.

If skewed stats are the game, Thornton has one goal in his last 30 games. Paille has 2 in his last 5. I'm not a huge Stonehands fan, but I think he's a much better option at this point. I also subscribe to the keep speed with speed theory, that is why I hated when Rex was with Seguin.

Sections
Shortcuts