Next Bruin to have there # retired

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigNickster. Show BigNickster's posts

Next Bruin to have there # retired

ANYBODY ON THE PRESENT TEAM ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Re: Next Bruin to have there # retired

TT, Chara, and Bergeron.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigNickster. Show BigNickster's posts

TT has to win another cup

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

TT

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

TT's # is also Gerry Cheevers #.  Cheevers is in the HOF and is a 2-time Cup winner.  Might make things a little interesting. 

Maybe on Gerry Cheevers Night, TT will come out to greet him, take of his jersey to show his new #300. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

No one right now, but Chara is the next best bet.  TT is older and time is not on his side.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

In Response to Re: Next Bruin to have there # retired:
    [QUOTE]TT, Chara, and Bergeron.
    Posted by jaywall[/QUOTE]

Agreed it is too early now but they all have a shot especially if they could win another Cup with Timmy and Big Z.  Bergeron if he is healthy should be there long enough to build a good case.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Chara is the only one with a chance.

And it's "their."  (although it should have been "his.")

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The fact that neither Brimsek or Thompson (same number) have been retired, is embarassing. Both won us cups, and are HOFers, who at their time set goalie records and were the best in the world. They were quintessential Bruins. The Bruins have never honoured a goalie. If either Thomas or Cheevers achieved that before Thompson or Brimsek, it would be an affront to hockey history. (Honestly, back in the day there was an argument between whether or not to name the trophy for best goaltender the Vezina or Thompson - Vezina won in a 4-2 vote.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

You know they will retire some numbers from this era and it will probably if the team experiences some down years. For my money TT, Chara, and Bergy will eventualy it may take them a while but I wouldn't be surprised to see them all get up there eventualy. The cup win pretty much makes it a lock some from this era will get there jersey's retired at some point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Lot of ifs.

I could see Lucic and Bergeron being Bruins for life, and if that's the case, and they continue to play the way they have (Lucic's recent penchant for blind spots in his passing notwithstanding), they'd get consideration - If Lucic stays a 25-30 goal guy for the next decade, he'd have a shot at 400 for the career.  Bergeron will win a Selke one day.  Maybe more than one.  And, not to be trivial, but both have numbers that are a little easier to retire, especially Bergeron.  Not many Seguin-like kids will come to the team and pout that lucky #37 that they've worn since pee-wee is not available.

Thomas and Chara are tough.  Thomas will play his entire NHL career in Boston, he'll have at least four major trophies in the case (2 Vez, a Smythe and a Cup) and he's been a great story for them for years.  That makes him a more likely candidate.  Chara's be indispensible and when he retires he'll have been a Bruin longer and with a higher profile than Chara the Senator.  But...I'm not sure he'll ever capture the imagination the way Thomas has.

But if I'm betting one of these four or none?  I take none.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

THEIR.

If you can work a smart phone, you should be able to work the language.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanSince80. Show BruinsFanSince80's posts

If Timmy wins another Cup & Vezina, #30 in the rafters shortly after he retires is a lock. Even without another Cup, I'd still say it's better than 50/50 he goes up. As long as he finishes a Bruin and maintains his numbers, hard to argue against it given what he meant to this team. He's had one bad year, and he played with a torn hip labrum all season.

HHOF doesn't mean squat. Nor does a Cup. The last 3 guys, 77, 24 & 8 (now has a Cup with the B's as Prez), never won Cups here or as as Bruin, and the former 2 weren't in HHOF when it happened. There was even a question whether Cam would get in based on the short nature of his career.

If you look at the history and accomplishments, there is an extremely compelling case for Timmy. And as far as the Cheevers comments, he fled the league to play in the WHA for a couple years, which I think has a legit impact on it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

dare i say it?

#19, lots to prove still but lots in the tank.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]dare i say it? #19, lots to prove still but lots in the tank.
    Posted by mattymcgee55[/QUOTE]

Much too early for this prediction.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

Can I just say I hate having numbers retired?

I don't like racecar numbers in hockey.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Can I just say I hate having numbers retired? I don't like racecar numbers in hockey.
    Posted by lambda13[/QUOTE]

I hear you.  I don't like numbers getting retired either.

I say bring the number out of retirement after 100 years, at least they get Lionell Hitchman's number back in 2034.

Eventually they will run out of numbers.  Then what they gonna do?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

They could go with Comic Sans.

I would laugh so hard if a players "number" was steam roller and he was like Scott Stevens reincarnated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next Bruin to have there # retired : I hear you.  I don't like numbers getting retired either. I say bring the number out of retirement after 100 years, at least they get Lionell Hitchman's number back in 2034. Eventually they will run out of numbers.  Then what they gonna do?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]
    ahhhh....you beat me to it. they won't run out of numbers(they are infinite), but jerseys will look silly with license plate/phone numbers on the back.                                                                                                                            

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Retire: No. 16-Middleton, No. 12-Cashman, No. 18-Keith Crowder, No. 30-Cheevers, No. 21-Marcotte. Why not just retire them all. I never could understand the B's never retiring No. 30 in the first place. He deserved to get it retired well before Tim Thomas...now Tim Thomas' 30 is definitely worthy of some day getting retired. It would be fitting to do it as a tribute to both when the time comes. Hopefully, Gerry stays in good enough health to be around by that time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

Yeah, I personally think Timmy has already done enough. This isn't the Hall of Fame, he's a boston legend.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The fact that neither Brimsek or Thompson (same number) have been retired, is embarassing. Both won us cups, and are HOFers, who at their time set goalie records and were the best in the world. They were quintessential Bruins. The Bruins have never honoured a goalie. If either Thomas or Cheevers achieved that before Thompson or Brimsek, it would be an affront to hockey history. (Honestly, back in the day there was an argument between whether or not to name the trophy for best goaltender the Vezina or Thompson - Vezina won in a 4-2 vote.)
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Oh Red.  Where on Earth did you hear this?

The trophy was donated by former Montreal owners after Vezina's death.  The year was 1926.  Cecil Thompson was stopping pucks in the AHA. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I think the next two to go up, should they remain in Boston for the majority of their careers are Seguin and Bergeron.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

As much as I'd like to see Bergeron honored, I feel Chara is the only lock. The direct lineage for me goes Orr-Bouque-Chara...each with distinct style that defines their time in Boston.

Sections
Shortcuts