Next Summer/Seguin

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Next Summer/Seguin

Assuming Seguin has his best year yet and has the kind of year some of us think he will, what are the chances someone signs him to an offer sheet next summer when he is scheduled to be an RFA. I say this realizing a new CBA is being negotiated, so that could change things. Lets just assume the offer sheet process stays the same for now. PC also alluded to the point that the uncertainty regarding the CBA is a big reason why they haven't worked on an extension for him.

So does Seguins agent wait to negotiate a contract knowing that another team could swoop in and decide what he gets? I know offer sheets are very rare, but so are players like Seguin. He could potentially reach RFA status, as one of the better players in the game who hasn't reached his ceiling.

I hope they hammer this out before it gets to this but, do you folks think a team would possibly do this. I know it's not his style, but Brian Burke may have to strike for no other reason than his job may be on the line if he is still there. He could come out of that looking alot better than he does right now.

Wouldn't shock me to see Vancouver take a run at Lucic also.

Your thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

Re: Next Summer/Seguin

I like to think PC will make this his top priority once the new CBA is reached. I think there is always that possibility that some other GM tries but as you said, it is very rare. Regardless of what happens, every other team out there has to know that PC will match. That may be enough to keep most, if not all teams away.

As for Burke trying, I would doubt that. I think the TML fans would look at that as an admission of failure on his behalf. Especially knowing that there is probably something like a 99.9% chance the B's will match any offer for him. That would really make BB look bad.... as if he could look any worse right now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Under the current system both Seguin and Lucic would be prime targets. Maybe Marchand too. I know I would consider it if I was a team that already had a core of young talent, cap room, cash, and expected my picks to be in the 20's. Seguin in particular could easily be worth 4 first rounders if he becomes a 90+ point guy. It's so hard to find those types of players, and in a cap system you need to be choosey about who you build around - you want to build around the very best.

That said, I'm not too worried. Teams know that financially the Bruins can match any signing bonuses. They have a good amount of cap space. And most importantly I think the new CBA will limit contract length and force every year to be paid equally, removing most of the tricks teams would try to use to prevent a team from matching.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"RFAs — Milan Lucic ($4.1 million); Tyler Seguin ($3.5 million); Brad Marchand ($2.5 million), Jordan Caron ($1.1 million), and Tuukka Rask ($3.5 million). UFAs — Nathan Horton ($4 million), Andrew Ference ($2.25 million), Khudobin ($875,000)"

If the owners get their wish to roll the cap back as requested in the initial proposal. Chiarelli will have to jettison a player he doesn't necessarily want to. Lets say for argument sake there is a compromise and the cap comes back to say $66M it will leave PC in a bit a of bind. This is why developing draft picks is so important EL contracts for 3-5 years can allow a team to be more flexible.

I don't see PC letting Seguin, Lucic, Marchand nor Rask being allowed to walk for draft pick compensation from an offer sheet. Ference, Horton, Caron and Khudobin might be allowed to walk if the owners want to help the small market teams by standing pat on the CAP coming back a bit this year.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I hope they all stay.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In order for an offer sheet to come into play, Seguin has to become an unrestricted free agent.   I can't see Chiarelli allowing it to get that far.  I think he'll offer a very fair extension and Seguin will sign it right away.  I don't see much negotiation at all. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from juniorfalcon19. Show juniorfalcon19's posts

In Response to Re: Next Summer/Seguin:
    [QUOTE]"RFAs — Milan Lucic ($4.1 million); Tyler Seguin ($3.5 million); Brad Marchand ($2.5 million), Jordan Caron ($1.1 million), and Tuukka Rask ($3.5 million). UFAs — Nathan Horton ($4 million), Andrew Ference ($2.25 million), Khudobin ($875,000)" If the owners get their wish to roll the cap back as requested in the initial proposal. Chiarelli will have to jettison a player he doesn't necessarily want to. Lets say for argument sake there is a compromise and the cap comes back to say $66M it will leave PC in a bit a of bind. This is why developing draft picks is so important EL contracts for 3-5 years can allow a team to be more flexible. I don't see PC letting Seguin, Lucic, Marchand nor Rask being allowed to walk for draft pick compensation from an offer sheet. Ference, Horton, Caron and Khudobin might be allowed to walk if the owners want to help the small market teams by standing pat on the CAP coming back a bit this year.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

for that reason i think it is impossible that the cap goes to a lesser percentage of the revenue without a rollback in current salaries. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In order for an offer sheet to come into play, Seguin has to become an unrestricted free agent.   I can't see Chiarelli allowing it to get that far.  I think he'll offer a very fair extension and Seguin will sign it right away.  I don't see much negotiation at all. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]
    I don't think Weber was a UFA and we all saw his offer sheet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

As a B's fan I hate to say it, but chances are Horton gets his bell rung for the third and final time this season and joins Savard in the sad land of forced retirement. (I would be happy to be wrong.) That will simplify P.C.'s decisions on who stays, who goes, and how much players get paid.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

One team, one player - I seriously doubt the get hit by an offer sheet.  There's just no question that the Bruins will match on any of those guys unless the offer is so stupid that it destroys the team forced to honour it.

The real vulnerability is multiple offer sheets.  Burke offers Seguin $6M - Bruins match.  Van offers Lucic $6M - Bruins match.  Then Philly offers Rask $6M - Bruins find a way to match because they can't lose their goalie.  Carolina makes a $4M offer to Marchand and...the Bruins can't match.  Not without losing another piece.

The one saving grace in that situation would be the rule that says a team can only lose one player to an offer sheet per year or two years (can't remember exactly).  If Vancouver went goofy and made an offer to Lucic that would make the compensation two firsts, a second and a third, PC might see that as also buying securing vs. offer sheets on his other RFAs and let Lucic go.  (Settle down Lucic army; it's just an example).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next Summer/Seguin : I don't think Weber was a UFA and we all saw his offer sheet.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure he was an UFA as of July 1 this year.  That all happened after July 1 didn't it?  He signed a one year deal for 2011-2012.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

Free Agency starts on July 1st for both Restricted and Unrestricted free agents.  Weber was a RFA.  The restriction was after signing the offer sheet, Nashville (the team that owned his rights) had a week to match.

UFA's have no restrictions on where they sign.  Think Ray Allen of the Celtics, who was offered more money to stay, but chose to bolt to Miami for half the money he was offered in Boston.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next Summer/Seguin : Pretty sure he was an UFA as of July 1 this year.  That all happened after July 1 didn't it?  He signed a one year deal for 2011-2012.
    No, he was RFA. Teams have no right to match a UFA offer.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Next Summer/Seguin : Pretty sure he was an UFA as of July 1 this year.  That all happened after July 1 didn't it?  He signed a one year deal for 2011-2012.

No Scooter. RFA's get offer sheets, not UFA's. That's why the Preds had a week to match the offer. UFA's don't go through that process in order to sign with another team.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Sorry all, I was typing UFA but I really meant RFA. My mistake.  Same thought process though, Seguin won't get to RFA status.  Chiarelli will sign him to an extension way before then. 

Sections
Shortcuts