1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: NHL 30 in 30

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

Defensemen

Alexander Edler - Kevin Bieksa

Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison

Frank Corrado - Christopher Tanev

Yannick Weber

If this is Torts's defense in March then I say they don't get into the playoffs.

You also said chicago def stunk.   i would say vans def is their strong pt.  the bottom 6 arent proven but the top 4 are good.  I dont like any of them but they are pretty decent.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

If this is Torts's defense in March then I say they don't get into the playoffs.

You also said chicago def stunk.  I dont like any of them but they are pretty decent.  [/QUOTE]

Another contradiction of a "passive-agressive" in one sentence. I said I didn't think 3 of Chicago's defenseman were that tough. Yawn!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Forwards

Gabriel Landeskog - Matt Duchene - Ryan O'Reilly

Alex Tanguay - Paul Stastny - PA Parenteau

Jamie McGinn - Nathan MacKinnon - Steve Downie

Cody McLeod - John Mitchell - Mark Olver

Patrick Bordeleau

Defensemen

Jan Hejda - Tyson Barrie

Ryan Wilson - Erik Johnson

Matt Hunwick - Cory Sarich

Andre Benoit

Goalies

Semyon Varlamov

Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Yes the Lanche will score, young and quick. After seeing Matt Hunwick in the 2013 World Championships I think he is back to being the pre-spleen injury player.

Won't help though Colorado will stay at the bottom.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah they'll score, but they'll spend half the game digging the puck out of their own net.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Pretty anonymous D, I'll give you that, especially if Johnson continues to develop into the next Frank Musil.

There's a lot more grit up front this year with Downie back, a full season of O'Reilly, a healthy Landeskog.  I think that will help their team defense.  On the back end, Hunwick and Sarich is a credible third pairing, and Ryan Wilson returning helps - he's managed to carry a positive plus minus despite the Avs' recent...putridity.  Barrie and Hejda has to be one of the least impressive top pairings in the league, though, doesn't it?

And Varlamov is just ok.  Playoffs?  No.  Not yet.  Not even if Roy manages to turn them loose and they try to run and gun their way into the playoffs.

Are you not entertained?!?!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Pretty anonymous D, I'll give you that, especially if Johnson continues to develop into the next Frank Musil.

There's a lot more grit up front this year with Downie back, a full season of O'Reilly, a healthy Landeskog.  I think that will help their team defense.  On the back end, Hunwick and Sarich is a credible third pairing, and Ryan Wilson returning helps - he's managed to carry a positive plus minus despite the Avs' recent...putridity.  Barrie and Hejda has to be one of the least impressive top pairings in the league, though, doesn't it?

And Varlamov is just ok.  Playoffs?  No.  Not yet.  Not even if Roy manages to turn them loose and they try to run and gun their way into the playoffs.

The defensive corps is really bad.  The Avs actually waived Hunwick and Zanon, but as neither were picked up, they'll remain in Denver.  Surprised about Hunwick -- he isn't that bad.  Zanon is done.  Eric Johnson had one of his worst years last season and seems to be regressing, yet he still has the tools to be good.  Size, skating, decent shot, pretty good passer -- I can't understand why he isn't better.

Barrie was actually a bright spot last year and projects to be a top 4 guy this year.  Hejda was really bad.  I think the Avs are counting on a strong, rebound-from-injury year from Ryan Wilson along with big jumps in development from Barrie and Stefen Elliot.  It's their only hope.   And Varlarmov will have to be a world-beater.

I agree that the forward lines look good and having Downie back will help them in general.  We're probably all tired of the "hard to play against" cliche, but the Avs are really easy to play against.  Maybe Downie and McLoud can make them a little nastier while competitors like Mitchell and O'Reilly can tire people out.  There should be a lot of scoring touch too.  I expect a bunch of 6-5 games, which is part of the reason I'm buying a lot of tickets.  Should be fun to watch...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Barrie and Hejda has to be one of the least impressive top pairings in the league, though, doesn't it?"

As Red mentioned there will be allot of Avalance players looking up at the ceiling of arenas, wondering why didn't management get some bigger stronger tougher Dmen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Fletch, you watch this team more than any of us - do they have the wheels to go out and play full tilt firewagon hockey? Pile on a fast offense to counteract their awful D? Play for the 6-5 and 7-4 wins?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Fletch, you watch this team more than any of us - do they have the wheels to go out and play full tilt firewagon hockey? Pile on a fast offense to counteract their awful D? Play for the 6-5 and 7-4 wins?

That sounds about right to me.  The defense is so bad that I think they will lose more than win, but you never know.  Varlamov could have a very good season (I thought he was very good last year) and they have some really good defensive forwards (O'Reilly, Duchene, Mitchell), so maybe they can get by.  I think they will score.  Stastny actually played great at the World Championships and has something to prove, Duchene is becoming a star, and Landeskog/MacKinnon could easily have breakout years with tons of opportunity.  I can't overstate how impressed I was with Paranteau last year -- he was really good (and I didn't see that coming).

I don't know much of anything about Jim Montgomery other than watching him on a line with Paul Kariya in 1993...

Who knows.  A playoff spot would be a surprise to me.  I'd guess 10th in the Conference.

Among my ticket pack are the Jets on March 7th and the B's on March 21st...road trip...?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Forwards

Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - Rich Peverley

Ray Whitney - Shawn Horcoff - Valeri Nichushkin

Erik Cole - Cody Eakin - Alex Chiasson

Ryan Garbutt - Vernon Fiddler - Antoine Roussel

Lane MacDermid - Chris Mueller

Defensemen

Alex Goligoski - Brenden Dillon

Sergei Gonchar - Stephane Robidas

Trevor Daley - Jamie Oleksiak

Aaron Rome

Goalies Kari Lehtonen

Dan Ellis

"Nichushkin is likely to get a long look, and maybe even a nine-game NHL trial before a decision is made on him. Chiasson looked great in a short stint at the end of the season and could grab a top-six spot. A prospect -- Brett Ritchie, Scott Glennie or Radek Faksa"

Ruff is going to need allot patience, great prospects but not ready. Peverley as your #2 center is bad. I hope Peverley and Cole have bounce back years, I see another bottom dweller in the midst.

When does the talk of Dallas moving to Quebec begin ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Here is the projected 2013-14 lineup for the Jets:

Forwards

Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler

Evander Kane - Mark Scheifele - Devin Setoguchi

Matt Halischuk - Olli Jokinen - Michael Frolik

Eric Tangradi - Jim Slater - James Wright

Chris Thorburn

Defensemen

Tobias Enstrom - Zach Bogosian

Grant Clitsome - Dustin Byfuglien

Mark Stuart - Jacob Trouba

Paul Postma - Adam Pardy

Goalies

Ondrej Pavelec

Al Montoya

NOTES: The most notable position battle in training camp will be Scheifele vs. Jokinen for the second-line center spot behind Little. If Scheifele looks like he can handle the job, he's almost certainly going to be given a chance. Halischuk is not on a one-way contract, but he averaged 1.68 points per 60 minutes of ice time with the offensively challenged Nashville Predators last season; that figure was better than all of the Jets' forwards after their big four (the top line plus Kane).

It might be time for Bogosian to pass Byfuglien on the right side of the defensive depth chart, at least at even strength. Adding Trouba potentially gives the Jets three quality offensive defensemen who shoot right-handed.

Pavelec has been a workhorse for the Jets, and that doesn't figure to change in 2013-14."

If the Jets can get scoring out of Jokinen, Scheifele and Frolik, I think they could have a good year. Still not a playoff team though.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Here is the projected 2013-14 lineup for the Jets:

Forwards

Andrew Ladd - Bryan Little - Blake Wheeler

Evander Kane - Mark Scheifele - Devin Setoguchi

Matt Halischuk - Olli Jokinen - Michael Frolik

Eric Tangradi - Jim Slater - James Wright

Chris Thorburn

Defensemen

Tobias Enstrom - Zach Bogosian

Grant Clitsome - Dustin Byfuglien

Mark Stuart - Jacob Trouba

Paul Postma - Adam Pardy

Goalies

Ondrej Pavelec

Al Montoya

NOTES: The most notable position battle in training camp will be Scheifele vs. Jokinen for the second-line center spot behind Little. If Scheifele looks like he can handle the job, he's almost certainly going to be given a chance. Halischuk is not on a one-way contract, but he averaged 1.68 points per 60 minutes of ice time with the offensively challenged Nashville Predators last season; that figure was better than all of the Jets' forwards after their big four (the top line plus Kane).

It might be time for Bogosian to pass Byfuglien on the right side of the defensive depth chart, at least at even strength. Adding Trouba potentially gives the Jets three quality offensive defensemen who shoot right-handed.

Pavelec has been a workhorse for the Jets, and that doesn't figure to change in 2013-14."

If the Jets can get scoring out of Jokinen, Scheifele and Frolik, I think they could have a good year. Still not a playoff team though.

Another not-so-great team that should be in the 'fun to watch' category.  I'm interested in seeing Scheifele and Trouba start to make it in the NHL.  Kane is always entertaining.  I'm not sure that Little is a number 1 center and I can't figure if Pavelec is consistently good or not.  But they'll be interesting.  A pretty solid top-6 on D, I think.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Goaltending will determine if they're a playoff team or not.  They remind me of the Bruins a few years ago when they had Savard-Krejci-Bergeron and the top three centres - you sort of have to think about it as a top 9 F because each line has some skill, but there's no 700lb line.  I have to think they acquired Frolik thinking, in part, that he can deliver more offense if he's not buried the way he was in Chicago, and maybe they get more out of Halischuk than the Preds did, too.  The D  has a lot of go-go guys; it's a lot to ask of Clitsome and Stuart to anchor that group.

Actually, no, let me revise that: goaltending and the play of their Cs.  Little had one fewer point than Krejci last year, but it's hard to say if he's Craig Conroy who plays above his head with certain skilled players or, say, Matt Stajan, who does okay but is really a stop gap until someone who belongs in that spot arrives.  The problem for the Jets is...who to put in his place.  Jokinen is a joke, and Scheifele has to earn a spot before you give him first line duties.

Weak down the middle and in goal?  No playoffs.  Little, Scheifele and Jokinen have good years, and Pavelec can drop his GAA .30 and raise his s% by .010, then I think they have a shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Little, Scheifele and Jokinen have good years, and Pavelec can drop his GAA .30 and raise his s% by .010, then I think they have a shot."

So important but they still miss out but more so because allot of teams in the West improved much, much more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Here is the projected 2013-14 lineup for the Bruins:

Forwards

Brad Marchand - Patrice Bergeron - Loui Eriksson

Milan Lucic - David Krejci - Jarome Iginla

Carl Soderberg - Chris Kelly - Reilly Smith

Daniel Paille - Gregory Campbell - Shawn Thornton

Jordan Caron

Defensemen

Zdeno Chara - Johnny Boychuk

Dennis Seidenberg - Dougie Hamilton

Torey Krug - Adam McQuaid

Matt Bartkowski

Goalies

Tuukka Rask

Chad Johnson

NOTES: Eriksson, a strong defensive player, seems a natural fit next to perennial Selke Trophy candidate Bergeron and Marchand on a line that could dominate teams in plenty of advanced statistical categories. That would mean Iginla plays with Krejci and Lucic in the spot vacated by Horton. Smith, the other player added in the trade with the Stars, could fit on the third line. He, Soderburg and Caron could be pushed for roster spots by prospects Ryan Spooner and Jared Knight. Paille or Thornton could move up a line if needed, but coach Claude Julien would probably like to keep them with Gregory Campbell on the "Merlot Line," so named for the color of their practice jerseys.

Julien likes to put Chara and Seidenberg together during the playoffs, but they often skate apart at even strength during the regular season. Hamilton played in seven postseason games, but expect the Bruins to give him a long look during camp in a top-four role; he has the most upside of the younger players on the blue line. Joe Morrow, who was traded from the Pittsburgh Penguins to Dallas for Brenden Morrow then to Boston in the Eriksson-Seguin deal, could push for a roster spot."

This writer thinks the Bergeron line is 1A not 1B, no matter deep down the middle. Hope we are not discussing the 3rd line Ad nauseam in October and November. I'd like to see two of Soderberg, Caron, Smith, Spooner or Fraser having settled the discussion of who is playing well with Kelly early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

This writer thinks the Bergeron line is 1A not 1B, no matter deep down the middle. Hope we are not discussing the 3rd line Ad nauseam in October and November. I'd like to see two of Soderberg, Caron, Smith, Spooner or Fraser having settled the discussion of who is playing well with Kelly early.

San, is it automatic Johnson has the inside track backing up Rask because of his impressive but limited taste of the NHL or does Svedberg have a legit shot entering training camp?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Also, I would have thought that Bartkowski would the 6th dman leaving Krug to be the 7th or back to Providence.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

San, is it automatic Johnson has the inside track backing up Rask because of his impressive but limited taste of the NHL or does Svedberg have a legit shot entering training camp ? 

PC doesn't think Svedberg is ready yet, is what the Johnson signing tells me. I just hope Svedberg gets some spot starts throughout the season. Svedberg should get some NHL play,he earned it.

Give the Bruins goalie scout or Euro scout a freakin raise and a promotion within Boston's scouting ranks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Man, that 3rd line is a question mark.  I mean, I knew that there was going to be some uncertainty there, but two wingers who are new to the NHL and a center who is coming off possibly his worst season.  Julien needs Maalox.

No Spooner anywhere.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Detroit is moving to the Eastern Conference and looks like a top challenger for the Boston Bruins in the Atlantic Division.

Here is the projected 2013-14 lineup for the Red Wings:

Forwards

Justin Abdelkader - Pavel Datsyuk - Henrik Zetterberg

Gustav Nyquist - Stephen Weiss - Daniel Alfredsson

Johan Franzen - Darren Helm - Tomas Tatar

Drew Miller - Joakim Andersson - Todd Bertuzzi

Mikael Samuelsson - Jordin Tootoo

Defensemen

Niklas Kronwall - Jonathan Ericsson

Jakub Kindl - Danny DeKeyser

Brendan Smith - Kyle Quincey

Brian Lashoff

Goalies

Jimmy Howard  Jonas Gustavsson

And Detroit heads East.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The addition of the coming-off-of-injury Weiss and the aging Alfredsson doesn't make me think the Wings are a long-haul regular season contender.  I think they're a playoff threat, but less so a division title threat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If I am a Red Wing player and I am coming back from just having taken the eventual SCF Winners to 7 games, I have to feel good. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I guess, SanDog, but that lineup doesn't scream that that was a stepping stone.  I still see a lineup that is only going as far as Datsyuk and Zetterberg can take them.  Kronwall's very good, Quincey's done a very admirable Larry Murphy imitation (going to Detroit; playing 200% better than before he arrived), Franzen is steady but not going to develop into more than he is, and Howard's a solid goalie.  Weiss and Alfredsson are still ??? for me.  Then there's a mess of young, unproven guys and old, on their way out guys like Bertuzzi and Samuelsson.  I guess Babcock is capable of making more of less, and I'm probably comparing this lineup to the powerhouses of old when they had two proven scoring lines and the best third line in the game.