NHL Competition Commitee Recommendations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

NHL Competition Commitee Recommendations

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424736

Visors to be grandfathered in. Less than 26 games in the NHL and you have to wear one.

Possible video review on double-minor high sticks.

Not in the article yet but I just heard the NHL was going to try hybrid icing in pre-season games next year.

Also, they are looking at making the nets more shallow (not smaller) so there is more room behind the net.

They are forming a sub-committee to look the size of NHL goalie equipment..NAS, I'm not sure where you apply.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: NHL Competition Commitee Recommendations

Visors all day.  No need for them not to wear them.

Smaller equip for goalies is imperative.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

The link also says mandatory wearing of helmuts during fights.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Put me in the camp of a less paternalistic NHL.  The players are big boys, let em' decide if they want to wear a visor or not.  I would wear one, and hope that other players wear them, but I'm for preserving the choice of the player.  There has always been, and always will be, risk out there.

Goalie equipment must be addressed -- it has changed the game.  Before our goalie friends attack me, any changes should have a thorough safety review involved, but I still think there will be room to make reductions.

I wish overtime was on the table.  I hate the shootout.  It's a gimmick.  It isn't hockey and shouldn't decide games.  Go 4 on 4, then 3 on 3 until there is an outcome.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

I'm all for the visors grandfathered in.  They wear them before they get here, so what's the problem?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fletch,

What about helmets?  Do you think they should be optional?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

This seems problematic for fights, maybe intentionally.  You have to fight each other with visors on, but you also can't pull off the helmet of your opponent?  

Making fighting less and less threatening is going to encourage more and more posers to fight knowing that they can just tuck their head and be protected by the visor.  It seems like another step to reduce the impact of self-policing and the concept that dirty play may have painful consequences for the perpetrator.  Guys like Subban already hide behind the visor/face shield after starting trouble -- now the refs are going to rescue them as soon as it comes off?  Kiss the traditional hockey fight goodbye. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

Put me in the camp of a less paternalistic NHL.  The players are big boys, let em' decide if they want to wear a visor or not.  I would wear one, and hope that other players wear them, but I'm for preserving the choice of the player.  There has always been, and always will be, risk out there.

Goalie equipment must be addressed -- it has changed the game.  Before our goalie friends attack me, any changes should have a thorough safety review involved, but I still think there will be room to make reductions.

I wish overtime was on the table.  I hate the shootout.  It's a gimmick.  It isn't hockey and shouldn't decide games.  Go 4 on 4, then 3 on 3 until there is an outcome.

I've come over to the other side Fletch. I think it has gotten way out of control and that they can make something smaller without compromising safety. The bullett proof vest I wear to work is proof of that. They've found a way to come up with equipment that is twice as big as the old stuff and weighs much less.  I'm sure the good people at Vaughn and RBK will come out with something 5 minutes after the rule is implemented and will be more than happy to charge a ton for them.

Corey Crawfords goalie pads look ridiculous on him. They go up to his stomach while he's standing straight up.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Klaas's comment:

So they're looking at trading fewer broken noses and conscussions for more busted fingers and hands?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Fletch,

No.  You may see that as hypocritical, but I think this whole discussion comes down to a judgment call, not a hard and fast line of what's safe and what isn't.  I think that concussions going through the roof in the past decade is plenty of justification for mandatory helmets.  Concussions aren't just bad for the player, but they really threaten the sport when 1/3rd of your roster has concussion issues on each team.  

By comparison, the risk of eye injury has remianed more or less the same.  I know everything is faster and more guys block shots, but I support preserving the choice of the player when the impacts are not so overwhelming.  Ever since watching the Brian Berard incident I have favored the use of visors, I just don't think the line is so clear that it needs to be mandated to all players.

Playing hockey involves some acceptance of risk and I think the players should retain a role in determining their own personal risk and taking steps to manage it.  Visors are available, and encouraged, for every player.  If some players determine the risk of playing without a visor to be acceptable, I'm reluctant to overrule them.  Eye injuries remain rare compared to other problems, like concussions or ACL tears.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatHockeyGuy. Show ThatHockeyGuy's posts

Fletch,

NAS, it more about where to draw the line rather than the equipment itself.

And I completely support smaller goalie equipment.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Fletch,

Yes. Who am I to tell someone else how they have to live? They're men. They can decide what they think is too dangerous. There was also a significant rise in head injuries since helmets were made mandatory. I'm not certain that forcing safety on the players really works.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

Fletch,

Yes. Who am I to tell someone else how they have to live? They're men. They can decide what they think is too dangerous. There was also a significant rise in head injuries since helmets were made mandatory. I'm not certain that forcing safety on the players really works.

They're men but they're also employees, and their employer has a vested interest in their health. How is making a helmet or visor madatory different than making steel toed work boots, hard hats or safety goggles mandatory? For insurance purposes as well as trying to maintain a healthy and productive workforce, as to help with the bottom line, hundereds of thousands of employers around North America mandate certain safety equipment, and some industries have their safety standards mandated by federal legislation (such as wearing a hazmat suit when around radioactivity or firefighters wearing helmets and protective gear).

Why should hockey be different than any other industry?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=424736

Visors to be grandfathered in. Less than 26 games in the NHL and you have to wear one.

Possible video review on double-minor high sticks.

Not in the article yet but I just heard the NHL was going to try hybrid icing in pre-season games next year.

Also, they are looking at making the nets more shallow (not smaller) so there is more room behind the net.

They are forming a sub-committee to look the size of NHL goalie equipment..NAS, I'm not sure where you apply.

I thought they were going to be looking at embellishment as well. I hope to GOD they get this rule fixed. You embellish? $5000.00 fine & it doubles for everytime you get caught doing it. Vancouver would need to ice another full team. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I also thought they were going to look at allowing a D to slow up an incoming player so they could protect their D partner from getting crunched. I thought I saw MacLean tell Don that when they were talking about the hit on McQuaid (saying Krug should have been allowed to slow up Cooke a step without getting called for a penalty)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Klaas' comment:

Slowly they're pushing out fighting.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

How is making a helmet or visor madatory different than making steel toed work boots, hard hats or safety goggles mandatory? For insurance purposes as well as trying to maintain a healthy and productive workforce, as to help with the bottom line, hundereds of thousands of employers around North America mandate certain safety equipment, and some industries have their safety standards mandated by federal legislation (such as wearing a hazmat suit when around radioactivity or firefighters wearing helmets and protective gear).

Well, for one, you'd want to be able to conclude that helmets actually make things definitively safer. That's kind of tricky.  As dez points out, concussions and head injuries have gone up drastically since helmets became mandatory.  It seems to me that the real danger comes from the increased speed of the game and the ill-intensions of opponents.  Helmets have done little to reduce the risk of either of those factors.  But fans like speed and fierce competition.  So the NHL has made moves to increase speed and increase rivalry games, despite the apparent risk.  

I guess my point is that the NHL is not really trying to protect players, they are trying to blend the best entertainment product with some of the easier safety requirements.  If they were so concerned about employees getting hurt they could just slow down the game any number of ways.  But speed, risk, and danger are what makes the game great, so they make smaller safety management rules like helmets instead of taking the bull by the horns.

I agree with this approach by the way, and I also agree with mandatory helmets, but every aspect of safety management is both a judgement call and a balancing act of entertainment value vs. injury cost.  If we really want safety in this industry, take off the skates...

I'd prefer settling on a level of risk that seems reasonable.  Helmets, and visors, seem like a small part of the equation, albeit a reasonable measure to pursue compared to other less attractive safety options.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The NHL changes slowly, like Canon Law.  Goalie Equipment is an impairment to scoring which is down since 2005.  Visors makes sense, but the players understand the consequences.  Helmuts while fighting, figures with concussions.  Simply put a way to limit fighting without complete elimination.  Goal net sounds excellent, height of the goal should be changed imo,  referee's discreation on defensemen recieving a delay of game penalty for shooting the puck in the stands.  A pet peeve, how long does it take to blow a whistle when it is out of sight, goalies have 1 second but erratically called.  Meanwhile, slowly we turn, step by step to improve the game.  European football logic imo.  Just for information purposes why not let players kick the puck in the net? 

Don't judge me monkey!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Fletch,

They're men but they're also employees, and their employer has a vested interest in their health. How is making a helmet or visor madatory different than making steel toed work boots, hard hats or safety goggles mandatory? For insurance purposes as well as trying to maintain a healthy and productive workforce, as to help with the bottom line, hundereds of thousands of employers around North America mandate certain safety equipment, and some industries have their safety standards mandated by federal legislation (such as wearing a hazmat suit when around radioactivity or firefighters wearing helmets and protective gear).

Why should hockey be different than any other industry?

It isn't in many respects. That's why most things still need to be OKed by the union. It's just like I have the absolute right to refuse to work in any mill that has mandatory steel toes (they all do of course). It might even fly if I was a unique and elite talent.  If those men decide to vote against facial protection then it's none of our business to force it on them. The last thing I'm interested in is applying more federal mandates to pro sports. Maybe they should ban dirt bikes because people go over jumps. Bungee jumping or parachuting..........way too dangerous. Jai-alai.........can't believe they let people still play that. The balls too fast. People die! Speaking of dying what's up with auto racing? There's no way that should be allowed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

The NHL changes slowly, like Canon Law.  Goalie Equipment is an impairment to scoring which is down since 2005.  Visors makes sense, but the players understand the consequences.  Helmuts while fighting, figures with concussions.  Simply put a way to limit fighting without complete elimination.  Goal net sounds excellent, height of the goal should be changed imo,  referee's discreation on defensemen recieving a delay of game penalty for shooting the puck in the stands.  A pet peeve, how long does it take to blow a whistle when it is out of sight, goalies have 1 second but erratically called.  Meanwhile, slowly we turn, step by step to improve the game.  European football logic imo.  Just for information purposes why not let players kick the puck in the net? 

Don't judge me monkey!

Isla, is't this just going back to the problematic way that it used to be? The rule was put in place to eliminate the discretionary call. When the call was at the ref's discretion, there was always one team that disagreed with his decision. Now the rule is fairly cut and dried. I wonder if they couldn't just raise the glass another foot or two to make it harder to fire out by accident.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Fletch,

There was also a drop in deaths since then.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

[QUOTE]

Fletch,

There was also a drop in deaths since then.

[/QUOTE]

See I don't remember a single hockey death during my childhood. Am I forgetting someone who died as a result of a head injury in the NHL in the 70's?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

See I don't remember a single hockey death during my childhood. Am I forgetting someone who died as a result of a head injury in the NHL in the 70's?

William J. Masterton (August 13, 1938 – January 15, 1968) was a Canadian–American professional ice hockey centre who played in the National Hockey League (NHL) for the Minnesota North Stars in 1967–68. He is the only player in NHL history to die as a direct result of injuries suffered during a game, the result of massive head injuries suffered following a hit during a January 13, 1968, game against the Oakland Seals.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Not sure about the NHL, but one of my father's teammates died when he hit his head on the goal post, of course the nets were a lot harder to move back then also.  Sad story with two young kids at home.  The whole team had helmets the next game.  I'm 41 and still play three times a week and I've never witnessed a death on the ice.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to goodnewsbears' comment:

[QUOTE]

Not sure about the NHL, but one of my father's teammates died when he hit his head on the goal post, of course the nets were a lot harder to move back then also.  Sad story with two young kids at home.  The whole team had helmets the next game.  I'm 41 and still play three times a week and I've never witnessed a death on the ice.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that one GNB. Awful tragedy. I don't disagree that helmets are safer. I just question the overall effectiveness considering that once helmets became mandatory, player respect for each other seemed to go right out the window.

Sections
Shortcuts