NHL Expansion

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: NHL Expansion

Well I was just focusing on the West because of realignment issues. Give me a bit and I'll get you a sample of Eastern cities ;)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

Absolutely!  Should be on Red's list.

Too bad. The Whale ruled!!!

DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Whalers didn't rule anything.

They were terrible.

And they played in a mall.

And no one went.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:

Seattle is a no brainer.  Vegas?  I'd be real curious to see what the analytics say.

Still, I agree that the folks in Quebec have suffered too long.

Suffered? They had a team, their economy couldn't support it, they lost their team. It's a Gov't town, and they just don't have the population base for it. If they did, they'd still be there. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

The Whalers didn't rule anything.

They were terrible.

And they played in a mall.

And no one went.

I did.....

• This post has been removed.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Since I was asked, here are some Eastern possibilities

HARTFORD

They have the fan base and an intense understanding of the sport. The demographics and population could work as well, if using a similar small market structure that has worked so far in the Peg. The marks against it are the lack of building and a potential owner. The insurance industry has taken a massive hit over the last five years and has not yet recovered fully depressing Hartford’s economy slightly, meaning the corporate support may not be as strong as it needs.

QUEBEC CITY

Building? Check. Deep pocketed owner? Check. Crazy and knowledgeable fan-base? Check. A growing economy with increased corporate support? Check. The only problem I see for QC is the same one that faces all of the Eastern cities – the unbalanced conferences and the realignment issues that will cause for a new Eastern team.

VIRGINIA BEACH

Not quite as much of an idiotic option as one might think on first blush. Hampton Roads is the second largest metro area after Vegas without a pro sports team, and its larger than other options like Milwaukee, and larger than a number of existing NHL cities (at least Raleigh, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa, but there may be others – I haven’t done all the research) There’s significant economic growth in the area and the population if one of the fastest growing in the US. They also have a city government that’s fiercely pursuing a sports team and are committed to building a facility should they land a team. The problems? There is no apparent owner, virtually no existing hockey culture (And what there is likely supports the Capitals or Canes) and no viable short-term facility to play in while a new rink is built. Those last three points likely kill any chance of a team.

HALIFAX

Haligonians would go nuts, but I think shupe would agree with me that they couldn’t support it, at least not yet – too low a population base, not enough corporate support and no suitable facility.

Other possibilities? Memphis is doubtful due to territorial issues with Nashville. Cleveland and Cincinnati are unlikely given the struggles of Columbus. Indianapolis likely can’t support three major league teams and Bankers Life Fieldhouse cannot accommodate hockey. I already made my arguments against Hamilton. Charlotte won’t even get a look due to Raleigh’s struggles.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to 50belowzero's comment:

Unless Florida ends up in Quebec, it could be awhile before there is a team there. I personally think they should get a team but it doesn't look like its in the cards. 

There is a better possibility of the actual State of Florida ended up in Quebec than the Florida Panthers.

So your saying there's a chance?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Its like, you know, global warning

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Unfortunately I live in Seattle and there is a war brewing to bring hockey here. It is great as I will see our boys live one more time a year at least. This is a great sports town. The reception for the soccer franchise is at a fever pitch.  People would go nuts over hockey. They do just for the silvertips where hamil came from. Winterhawks and Portland don't even come close. Youth hockey is growing here. It will be hockey in good ole Washington soon enough.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

For whatever reason, red always seems to know every detail about this, so I will be interested when she chimes in.

That's because from 2004 until May 2011, I followed the possibilities ridiculously close as I was obsessed about the chances of the Jets coming back. I've just continued to follow it since. It's sort of cool in a weird way - it gives me a little niche of NHL knowledge where I can contribute something a bit different to the board. Makes me feel like I add something to the board, just like some posters are prospects or junior experts, or know certain teams or international hockey, etc.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to Dave24's comment:

I think Seattle and Toronto 2 would be good bets for expansion, and would give bandwagon-inclined fans in TO a team in each conference. Other places try to slip Hartford on these list of destinations, but that isn't going to happen.

Too bad. The Whale ruled!!!

I would love it.  Screw the rivalry, I loved having the Whalers in the region.  Grew up going to a lot of games at 'the mall'.

I know, I know...it'll never happen. 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from skater68. Show skater68's posts

I think less is better

Move two Eastern Conference teams west

Seattle and Quebec

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

I would love it.  Screw the rivalry, I loved having the Whalers in the region.  Grew up going to a lot of games at 'the mall'.

I know, I know...it'll never happen. 

Yep, so did I Fletch. Good times! Sylvain Turgeon was my favorite player. No idea why.

•  
    Sections
    Shortcuts