NHL in Seattle?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

NHL in Seattle?

With Chris Hansen proposing to build a new arena in Seattle for an NBA franchise, and seeking a partner to bring the NHL to town, what are the chances that the Coyotes end up there?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: NHL in Seattle?

I think it's more likely than most of the destinations we've heard and it makes logistical sense. I hope they get it in place for next season and end the phoenix fiasco once and for all. Bettman is such a dink.

The Seattle Slew-Foots????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Would LOVE a team up in that area...seems more reasonable than Hamilton and we all know QC is still a long-shot ever since the peg got their team back. KC is a pipe dream. Would like to hear Red's thoughts...we all went 12 rounds last summer about markets and it was a fun discussion.

Seattle = my favorite landing spot for Phoenix. They can even steal the Seahawks' jersey colors.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

It is all over the news here. It makes a lot of sense. They really embraced the Sounders. There is some opposition but I think more on the basketball side. It is so funny my son has decided to play hockey and will be learning where the Silvertips play. We met a room mate of Zach Hammil who actually had some indirect correspondence with Zach. I guess he thinks he may play in Europe. Either way he was a pretty driven kid when he was here in Seattle with some interesting rituals according to the boys here. As far as NHL here in Seattle as long as the Bruin's play here twice a year and I do not have to venture up to Vancouver with my son we are stoked. It will be called something weird like the Seattle Barnacles. Hopefully they can handle the violence here. It is crazy liberal. God I miss home. I need a slice of Regina's PIZZA and a cold beer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The logistics could still be really tricky, especially if the NHL wants to move Phoenix for next year.

The agreement says that construction won't begin on the $490 million arena until a franchise is secured.

Also, Hansen has noted that his focus is on the NBA, and that additional investors will be needed for the NHL. So that raises a host of issues.

-How will revenue from concessions and parking be split between possibly two rfranchises if the ownership is split between two groups, as Hansen has implied?

-Will the two franchises require separate rental agreements with the city or will they be both incorporated into the current rent agreement proposed by Hansen?

-Is Don Levin still in the mix? While Hansen's focus is on the Sonics, Levin has been pursuing aq hockey team in Seattle for years, and he's made no secret that he wants to buy the Yotes and move them. As the owner of the Chicago Wolves, the guy has the same connections with the NHL and hockey ownership pedigree that made Mark Chipman a prize for the NHL. Can he and Hansen work together?

-The Key Centre seats 11,000 for hockey. If the ground won't be broken until a new franchise is grabbed, then if Seattle pulls down an NHL franchise before they get an NBA one, then they'll be forced to play a few seasons in the Key Centre. Not the most pleasant of options, and could have any NHL franchise in the red for their first few seasons in the Pacific Northwest.

-KC doesn't have ownership and is likely a weak market, so that's a strength for Seattle. QC simply is not ready yet, and would be the league's smallest market, another plus for Seattle. The Yotes are a mess. Another plus. Rumours are that with the current economy, suitors for Vegas have lost interest. Plus. Toronto and Buffalo despise the idea of a team in Hamilton or Markham. Plus. But...

-Are they in a horserace with Milwaukee? There's ongoing negotiations for a replacement arena for the Bradley Cntre, and the could be finalized by the end of the season. The Bradley Centre is a better interim arena than the Key, as it already hosts the Admirals and can sit 17,845 for hockey. It's also only just over 20 years old so it can be a suitable short term solution for a little longer. Milwaukee also, like Levin and Chipman, has an AHL owner who wants to make a jump up to the bigs, with Harris Turer and his investment group. Like Levin they have great NHL contacts and know how to run a hockey team. Also, it's Wisconsin for pete's sake. The team would likely do well, there's an existing fan base, and the Admirals have been a success for their league for a very long time.

I love the idea of a team in Seattle, but it's not a slamdunk move.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

One of my questions above has already been answered. Don Levin has said he wants to work with Hansen, and the two have already spoken about it.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/chicago-wolves-owner-interested-in-seattle-franchise/article2340773/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The one thing that I think the NHL should be cognizant of, is the absolutely insane rivalry which exists between the Portland Timber, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps.  There's even a season-long competition, called the Cascadia Cup, which originated in 2004, between the three teams.  If there was a team in Seattle, and eventually a team in Portland (the Rose Garden is a great venue: holds 18,820 for hockey, same age as Rogers Arena, and is run by AEG), the hockey version of the Cascadia Cup would be a tooth-and-nail competition.

Like red, I don't think this is a slam-dunk, but the potential is huge!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just wondering 49, you think a team there could potentially hurt the Heat? Been a few times thanks to traffic where it has taken me two hours to get from Abbottsford to downtown Van, about the same as the border to where the arena is proposed. Won't hurt the Canucks because of distance and fan base, but I could see a team pulling fans from say White Rock who may otherwise go see the Heat.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just thinking on this... why has it/will it taken so  long for another franchise in the Pacific Northwest? This market supports the Winterhawks, Canucks, Heat, Silvertips, Thunderbirds, Americans, Blazers, Giants, Rockets, Blazers, and Royals. Certainly seems like a hockey market to me.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

Houston would be a great spot for the Coyotes.  3rd largest city in US plus The Aeros are a successful minor league team and the Toyota Center is almost new.  Great Rival for the Stars--- lots of oil money etc....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In Response to Re: NHL in Seattle?:
    Just wondering 49, you think a team there could potentially hurt the Heat? Been a few times thanks to traffic where it has taken me two hours to get from Abbottsford to downtown Van, about the same as the border to where the arena is proposed. Won't hurt the Canucks because of distance and fan base, but I could see a team pulling fans from say White Rock who may otherwise go see the Heat.
    Posted by red75

Possible, but I don't think the impact will be huge.  AHL and NHL are different market segments.  Ticket prices in Abby range from $16 - $54.  No matter how cheap the team in Seattle prices its games to gain a following, they'll have to be somewhere close to NHL-level pricing which is a long way north of Heat tix.  There's bound to be some crossover, for sure, but there's always going to be a market for "family-priced" hockey, like Abby and the Giants.

Also, although the distance "as the crow flies" may be similar, the border is the great multiplier when it comes to travel time.  Although the Huntington crossing is less congested than Peace Arch or Pacific, if a lot of the Heat's customers come from South Surrey, they're not going to drive all the way out to Huntington just to cross the border.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Just thinking on this... why has it/will it taken so  long for another franchise in the Pacific Northwest? This market supports the Winterhawks, Canucks, Heat, Silvertips, Thunderbirds, Americans, Blazers, Giants, Rockets, Blazers, and Royals. Certainly seems like a hockey market to me.
    Posted by red75

In Seattle, it's always been the venue.  Key Arena is awful for hockey.

In Portland, the Rose Garden is a great facility, but perhaps there are other issues (ownership?).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

This is why I like this board.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Houston would be a great spot for the Coyotes.  3rd largest city in US plus The Aeros are a successful minor league team and the Toyota Center is almost new.  Great Rival for the Stars--- lots of oil money etc....
    Posted by Yaso#7

Any idea if Chuck Watson is interested in bringing the NHL to Houston?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Thank you both for some solid information, pro and con. Do you think Bettman couls use you on his staff?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Bogie and asmaha, I love this topic, it's one where I get to use my research skills a bit and I find it fascinating to explore potential markets for the league. Also, after 7 years of digging around and following how a return of the Jets could work, I've spent a lot of lost hours looking into these issues already and am familiar with most of the players.

Supposedly there are rumblings, which the NHL quickly denied, that the Yotes have been sold to a group that includes the former CEO of the Sharks and Jeremy Roenick with the intent of keeping them in Glendale. I'll believe it when I see it as I've lost track of how many times I've heard a sale of that team is imminent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I would love to see the Seattle Breakers or Totems or whatever NHL team it is. Red, your info is fascinating.

The NHL just keeps putting off and putting off this Coyotes move. Something has to give, as frankly it's unfair for the citizens of Glendale to have this over their heads. The city needs the Coyotes to fill that arena but the NHL doesn't need Glendale in the long-run.

Quebec City has at least a passable arena for the interim. I also read that Seattle's Key Centre only seats 9,000 fans with unobstructed views.

Give it a few years, I'm sure some NHL team will start losing money after the Coyotes situation has been remedied. My bet is that the NBA returns first to Seattle, and then the NHL's Panthers, Blue Jackets or even Predators move there as a bonus.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

They will not build unless both NHL and NBA are committed. The investor ponying up 290 million made this a mandatroy requirement. It will be a brand new arena. They are already discussing that they will not return as the Sonic so some folks here may be getting ahead of themselves but people are very excited. 

Sections
Shortcuts