NHL Officiating

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

NHL Officiating

It has to be the worst in any league and sport in the world.  First period was about as bad as I ever seen and the last two penalties they give Buffalo were both a joke.  Why is it that they feel that they have to dictate the game like that????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: NHL Officiating

and the 2nd was equally bad just that the Bruins got the calls.  I agree officiating is bad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

This effects all teams equally on any given night... not worth getting upset about.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Officiating:
    [QUOTE]This effects all teams equally on any given night... not worth getting upset about.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

I disagree, the 2 pp gifts to the Sabres were when they had momentum in the first.

The Bruins pp gifts were when they didn't have momentum.

This would be a different game had they just called things fairly to begin with.  And that's not to say the Bruins would be winning.  Certainly would be a better game without all the whistles.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

BadHab - I get it. But that is tonight... next time it could go the other way. It's an 82 game regular season. It all works out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

Not entirely true, and it makes the game so choppy its ugly to watch.

[QUOTE]This effects all teams equally on any given night... not worth getting upset about.
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

It was weird.  Too many whistles all around.  Weak calls on the B's in the first, and a few really weak calls on the Sabres after that.  I understand wanting to keep a game like that called tightly, but c'mon, that was a little much.

Let 'em play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

In Response to NHL Officiating:
    [QUOTE]It has to be the worst in any league and sport in the world.  First period was about as bad as I ever seen and the last two penalties they give Buffalo were both a joke.  Why is it that they feel that they have to dictate the game like that????
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

Have you never watched an NBA game?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to NHL Officiating : Have you never watched an NBA game?
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree with that.  Try watching the NBA or soccer where every single play is in the refs hands and both teams are constantly faking to get calls instead of competing with each other. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to NHL Officiating : Have you never watched an NBA game?
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

I try not to watch any sport where it takes 30 minutes to play the last 2 minutes. Maybe during the lockout -- the players can demand more time outs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

Shanahan said before the game started that he told the refs to call, "everything in the book." 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jontarbox. Show jontarbox's posts

The way this game started reminded me of the game after the Pacioretty hit (which was against Buffalo) The Boarding call against Chara when Chara hit him at the face-off circle... the multiple 5 on 3's ...I get it.. the league puts pressure on the refs and they go  overboard ...but at least this time they evened it out... but it just gets annoying when the ticky-tacky crap gets called ....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Horrible officiating in the first period. The call on Lucic was terrible. Awesome job by Lucic tonight by the way. Answered the bell & won the fight. Props to Gaustad for going with the tougher Lucic.

One thing I hated seeing was Marchand throwing punches from behind at the back of Gaustad's head in the scrum. He is going to get hurt if he continues with that bush league stuff. He is to good of a player to be doing that stuff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In Response to NHL Officiating:
    [QUOTE]It has to be the worst in any league and sport in the world.  First period was about as bad as I ever seen and the last two penalties they give Buffalo were both a joke.  Why is it that they feel that they have to dictate the game like that????
    Posted by mattbs[/QUOTE]

I guess it evens out in the end but the hook on Peverley should have gone 4 v 4. He was clearly holding the defending players stick. The Lucic hit on JP was as legal as it comes.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I have no problem with NHL officiating in general, but tonight there were a few bad missed calls.  There was a blatant interference on Lucic toward the end of the game that could have decided the outcome. Sometimes that happens, but it seemed like Looch was not going to get any breaks tonight.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem with NHL officiating in general, but tonight there were a few bad missed calls.  There was a blatant interference on Lucic toward the end of the game that could have decided the outcome. Sometimes that happens, but it seemed like Looch was not going to get any breaks tonight.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

The cross check to the back that was also interference?  Might squeak in roughing as well.  That should have been 2 minutes for sure.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I agree with Fletch's assessment of the officiating above.  As for the worst in sports, well it will get better with the likes of Shanahan around the league offices. The worst called games are when the refs seem to make a call without seeing the play, thus prone to making judgement calls on dives and embellishments.  The NBA is the worst, traveling and palming the ball are not called! The NFL could have holding calls on every down!  The NHL will improve imo.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

I think NHL officiating is horrible.

Nothing more frustrating than the guy out at center-ice calling a penalty that the guy less than 10 feet away did not deem worthy of an infraction.  This happens way too often.

Also, lack of feel for the game and inconsistency seems to plague NHL officials on a regular basis.

That said, probably no worse than any other pro sport.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

The turnover to some younger and less experienced, at the NHL level, refs is with us no matter what. Newfie, take another look, Gaustad leveled Marchand against the boards, and Marchand responded

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ingrizzlebizzles. Show ingrizzlebizzles's posts

Nothing compares to NBA officiating and to imply it is ridiculous. NBA is by far the worst.

I think the NHL is actually the best. 

I say that acknowledging that at least two of the calls last night were ridiculously bad. I assume they were intended to "even things up" for the Lucic incident. When a team can play through that kind of handicapping and still win, that team is pretty da*n good.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

[QUOTE]The turnover to some younger and less experienced, at the NHL level, refs is with us no matter what. Newfie, take another look, Gaustad leveled Marchand against the boards, and Marchand responded
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Actually, Marchand took a run at Gerbe as he was coming around the net in a vulnerable position. Gaustad seen this and checked Marchand into the boards.

When the Bruins answered and gaustad went to the ice Marchand began throwing punches at the back of Gaustads head while he was at the bottom of the scrum. Not cool on Marchands part but he  is getting a reputation for this junk and he is to good of a player to be doing cheap things like that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I think NHL officiating is horrible. Nothing more frustrating than the guy out at center-ice calling a penalty that the guy less than 10 feet away did not deem worthy of an infraction.  This happens way too often. Also, lack of feel for the game and inconsistency seems to plague NHL officials on a regular basis. That said, probably no worse than any other pro sport.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]
    Crowls, that's a pet-peeve of mine too. I often wonder if sometimes there's animosity in the officials room after such calls. It would seem 1 official is showing up the other when they make such calls.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I don't hate NHL officiating. A lot of times I go "what the heck was that??!" only to see the official was right. There are some terrible calls all the same (see last night).

Of the Big 4 sports, I think NHL is #2 with baseball being the best officiated, followed by the NHL, then NFL (which seems to be getting worse by the week) and bringing up the rear is the joke that is NBA officiating...come to think of it, the entire NBA is a joke...I'm glad those clowns don't have a season. Poor Poor ESPN, now they are stuck with having to begrudgingly give the NHL more time.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NHL Officiating : Crowls, that's a pet-peeve of mine too. I often wonder if sometimes there's animosity in the officials room after such calls. It would seem 1 official is showing up the other when they make such calls.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Good point Dez, that's how I would react.  "Saw something that I didn't from 100 feet away did you?"

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

The officiating last night vs Buffalo was bad but I think baseball has the worst, by far. Overall, I think the NHL is doing much better at trying to improve officiating. I think hockey is the hardest of team sports to officiate so I give them some credit. Baseball's umpiring is ridiculous and I even question the integrity of the basketball refs. They already caught one for fixing his calls and swept the rest under the rug.