In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to riptide757's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jmwalters' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The only reason hockey fans in Canada are all giddy is because their NHL teams cant win chit.

[/QUOTE]

Yes that must be it.  And same with the Canadian NHL players who want to represent their country...because the poor Canadian NHL teams can't win chit. And most American players want to represent their countries, and Russians, and Slovaks, and Swedes,and [insert country name here], and hockey lovers of every nation who are all giddy to see the best hockey players in the world compete....because their NHL teams can't win chit.

Oh wait. That doesn't seem to make sense. Kind of sounds, you know, ignorant.

[/QUOTE]

No offense but your whole response to the thread is a giant ignorant...........I never said anything about or questioned the players desire to play in the olympics, so when you make the claim the thread makes no sense acutually makes no sense. and you can't deny the fact the Canada by nature is probably the most entusiastic about olympic hockey and understanbably so, but probably a little extra enthusiasm because of the fact it's been so long since a NHL team from Canada won a cup.

Bottom line is it could effect the Bruins in a not so good way...............I pray I'm wrong 

[/QUOTE]

The same could be said for most contenders.  Chicago, pitt, caps, st louis, la kings, etc etc.  all have numerous players going.  the last olympics were awesome.  And chicago played philly that year in the finals.  Go count the players that played in those olympics   

[/QUOTE]

To only a certain point. Hawks won the cup last year so not as big a deal for them, and none of those teams went as deep as Boston......

Good chance it negatively affects the Bruins the most............that's the whole point of the thread

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Re: NHL Players should not participate in the olympics

[QUOTE]

The only reason hockey fans in Canada are all giddy is because their NHL teams cant win chit.

This statement is the very definition of ignorance. I didn't type that you did.

ig·no·rance

noun \ˈig-n(ə-)rən(t)s\

: a lack of knowledge, understanding, or education : the state of being ignorant

A close second is this:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think the majority of hockey fans agree with you, but I do see your point.  I disagree completely.  Olympic hockey with the country's best players is the best.

[/QUOTE]

In America they do

You do realize both NAS and I are American, right? You are now telling us what us American hockey fans think now? I have had better world view reflections from my 9 year old.

[/QUOTE]

Read my other responses to this statement and you'll see the opposite true..............nice try Cry

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

............ you can't deny the fact the Canada by nature is probably the most entusiastic about olympic hockey and understanbably so, but probably a little extra enthusiasm because of the fact it's been so long since a NHL team from Canada won a cup.

And you would be wrong on this presumption. 

Canadians love hockey. The Olympics have the best players in the world from countries participating. What hockey fan would not want to see that ?

P.S. Not all Canadians wave the Canadian flag and root for Canadian based teams ( unlike Americans ). And guess what ? We don't have antennas on our igloos either. Most igloos have cable or satellite.

Dumb chit !

Wrong acording to who? you and your personal opinions? opinions are like ####### everybody got one. but i only deal in reality 

NHL PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE COMPETING IN THE OLYMPICS PERIOD. i can give you 10 reasons for why they shouldn't for every one reason why you believe they should.........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

NHL PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE COMPETING IN THE OLYMPICS PERIOD. i can give you 10 reasons for why they shouldn't for every one reason why you believe they should.........

[/QUOTE]

Okay, let's do it.

1.  The pros want to play in the Olympics.

2.  People want to see their best players playing for their country.

3.  It's different and super exciting.

4.  Guys from different NHL teams play together for their country.  It's like an All-Star game that actually matters.

5.  It gives many fans a reason to be interested in teams other than USA, Canada and Russia.

6.  It can lessen the blowouts between powerful teams and lesser lights.

7.  USA vs. Canada for the Gold with the pros is about as epic as a hockey game can get.  And keep in mind, I haven't used the word "epic" in many years.  I'm not just throwing that around.  It really is.

8.  It pits teammates against each other, creating more interesting storylines.

9.  Slovakia has a chance to win a few games.

10.  Players can be more associated with their countries.

Okay, that's 10.

You're up for 100 reasons why it's a bad idea.

You get the picture, right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Suprised some of you don't like it. How could you not? The only bad thing about it for me is that the NHL shuts down for two weeks, but I think it's worth it. Think back to the last Olympics, that Canada vs U.S game, simply awesome.

For those who want to see the best of who hasnt gone pro yet, you have the World Juniors.

Just think this year we have the World Juniors, Olympics, Frozen Four then the NHL playoffs. What more could you ask for?

Oh, and the NHL players will be in the Olympics as long as NBC wants them.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be too sure on that last statement. Bettman has already hinted this could be the final olympics that NHL players participate in. I don't think he really wanted to send them this year. I don't think he was too excited about shutting the league down for 2 plus weeks after a shortened 48 game lockout season last year. It took longer than usual to make the announcement that the players were indeed going to Sochi. I doubt we see NHLers in South Korea in 2018.

[/QUOTE]

NBC has a relationship with the NHL. Theyre going to want those players in the Olympics for ratings. The NHL wants NBC to pay as much as it can for NHL coverage.

Advantage: NBC

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I like it but I've always been amazed that the NHL owners allowed this to occur. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Okay, let's do it.

1.  The pros want to play in the Olympics.

2.  People want to see their best players playing for their country.

3.  It's different and super exciting.

4.  Guys from different NHL teams play together for their country.  It's like an All-Star game that actually matters.

5.  It gives many fans a reason to be interested in teams other than USA, Canada and Russia.

6.  It can lessen the blowouts between powerful teams and lesser lights.

7.  USA vs. Canada for the Gold with the pros is about as epic as a hockey game can get.  And keep in mind, I haven't used the word "epic" in many years.  I'm not just throwing that around.  It really is.

8.  It pits teammates against each other, creating more interesting storylines.

9.  Slovakia has a chance to win a few games.

10.  Players can be more associated with their countries.

Okay, that's 10.

You're up for 100 reasons why it's a bad idea.

You get the picture, right?

[/QUOTE]

You only need one reason. It creates a two week break in the middle of a pro sports season, which is idiot. Let the kids play like it used to be. Who cares what the other countries do. God forbid someone like Crosby suffers a career ending injury. Betcha the NHL would stop participating if that happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Read my other responses to this statement and you'll see the opposite true..............nice try Cry

[/QUOTE]

Sooo, your rebuttal is "I know what I originally typed but in other instances I did not sound as ignorant because I qualified the language. Therefore my original statement is no longer ignorant."

hahahaha......take a seat son......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Suprised some of you don't like it. How could you not? The only bad thing about it for me is that the NHL shuts down for two weeks, but I think it's worth it. Think back to the last Olympics, that Canada vs U.S game, simply awesome.

For those who want to see the best of who hasnt gone pro yet, you have the World Juniors.

Just think this year we have the World Juniors, Olympics, Frozen Four then the NHL playoffs. What more could you ask for?

Oh, and the NHL players will be in the Olympics as long as NBC wants them.

[/QUOTE]

With the 2018 Winter games in South Korea. Chances are small the NHL will be involved, because of the time difference. Look for the World Cup of Hockey to be highly talked about that season. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I loved Olympic hockey when the college kids played and I like it today when it's mostly pros. If you're old enough, who doesn't remember "The Miracle on Ice"?  I remember that victory over the Soviets better than most Stanley Cup Finals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not that interested in the Olympics since they are allowing professionals in.   Yah, I know it's really hard to police who's a professional and who's not, but I prefer it to be an achievement level for those who will go pro but haven't signed yet.  Especially for cycling and boxing, the last big thing they can win before going pro.  Yes, I'll tune into medal games, but reluctantly like casual sports fans do.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this issue BH. I liked it better when the Olympians were amateur athletes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'm not that interested in the Olympics since they are allowing professionals in.   Yah, I know it's really hard to police who's a professional and who's not, but I prefer it to be an achievement level for those who will go pro but haven't signed yet.  Especially for cycling and boxing, the last big thing they can win before going pro.  Yes, I'll tune into medal games, but reluctantly like casual sports fans do.

I agree with you on this issue BH. I liked it better when the Olympians were amateur athletes.

[/QUOTE]

Launched a few careers too. Sean Burke comes to mind....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kitchener's comment:[/QUOTE] personally I prefer the world Juniors.[/QUOTE]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=24174&navid=nhl:topheads

Can't wait!

[/QUOTE]

Just like watching the junior players more,don't get me wrong Crosby scoring the winner last Olympics was great and I hate Crosby.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to trouts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I loved Olympic hockey when the college kids played and I like it today when it's mostly pros. If you're old enough, who doesn't remember "The Miracle on Ice"?  I remember that victory over the Soviets better than most Stanley Cup Finals.

[/QUOTE]

If you haven't read "The Boys of Winter" you should. It a fantastic book about that team. It goes over stuff like Herb Brooks being the final cut from the 1960 team so he knew the pain Ralph Cox of UNH felt when he was the final cut. It recounts each player and how they got there. Any hockey fan would love this book.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to mxt's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You only need one reason. It creates a two week break in the middle of a pro sports season, which is idiot. Let the kids play like it used to be. Who cares what the other countries do. God forbid someone like Crosby suffers a career ending injury. Betcha the NHL would stop participating if that happened.

[/QUOTE]

If this is the approach/attitude, they shouldn't scrimmage, because what if someone gets hurt?  They shouldn't play preseason games, because what if someone gets hurt?  What about regular season games?  Should they discontinue them as well and just play the playoffs? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If this is the approach/attitude, they shouldn't scrimmage, because what if someone gets hurt?  They shouldn't play preseason games, because what if someone gets hurt?  What about regular season games?  Should they discontinue them as well and just play the playoffs? 

[/QUOTE]

Even you should be able to distinguish between the regular NHL activities you've listed and the Olympics. If someone like Crosby gets hurt in a non-NHL situation it will be an issue. The Penguins (and entire league) suffer if he goes down. Let the kids battle for the gold. That's what made the "Miracle on Ice" a miracle.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Launched a few careers too. Sean Burke comes to mind....

[/QUOTE]

Remember we used to have the Canadian national program where guys like Bobby Joyce (born in my hometown BTW) played before turning pro. Kariya always comes to mind also because he put off his pro career so that he could represent his country. I just liked it better when the Olympics were still amateurs. Olympic tennis is just like any other pro tournament now. It seems silly.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]

Remember we used to have the Canadian national program where guys like Bobby Joyce (born in my hometown BTW) played before turning pro. Kariya always comes to mind also because he put off his pro career so that he could represent his country. I just liked it better when the Olympics were still amateurs. Olympic tennis is just like any other pro tournament now. It seems silly.

[/QUOTE]

That's right...not to mention Janney, Donato and Heinze...also the entire U.S. 1980 "miracle on ice" that launched more than a few careers.

No argument from me there. That was definitely a different time. Also, didn't Lindros play for the olympic team when he was holding out on the Nords?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

That's right...not to mention Janney, Donato and Heinze...also the entire U.S. 1980 "miracle on ice" that launched more than a few careers.

No argument from me there. That was definitely a different time. Also, didn't Lindros play for the olympic team when he was holding out on the Nords?

[/QUOTE]

I believe you're correct JM. He also played for Team Canada as an 18 year old in the final Canada Cup in 1991.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

World jrs. doesn't get the coverage here in the US.

[/QUOTE]

Up here in the Great White North we've already had two pre-tournament games. Canada-Finland and USA-Sweden.

Must suck to be you guys.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

World jrs. doesn't get the coverage here in the US.

[/QUOTE]

Up here in the Great White North we've already had two pre-tournament games. Canada-Finland and USA-Sweden.

Must suck to be you guys.

[/QUOTE]

Not really.  In lieu of watching kids play, we get to be Americans.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Even you should be able to distinguish between the regular NHL activities you've listed and the Olympics. If someone like Crosby gets hurt in a non-NHL situation it will be an issue. The Penguins (and entire league) suffer if he goes down. Let the kids battle for the gold. That's what made the "Miracle on Ice" a miracle.

[/QUOTE]

If Crosby is out for the rest of his life, the league goes on without missing a beat. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

If Crosby is out for the rest of his life, the league goes on without missing a beat. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, there's always Florida Panthers hockey to watch.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

hIts a bad idea for NHL teams and their fans.

For a pure hockey fan, yes seeing the best players playing for their country is a great spectacle.  Not doubting that.  Its good for the game and everything related to it.

I have no comment on flag waving or which country's fans care more or less. I dont know, nor do I care.

For a team employing professional players making millions of dollars however, having them take a couple weeks out of the season and possibly get injured is a terrible idea.  Thats just the truth.

The Bruins for example right now are hanging on by a thread because of injuries.  Their depth and resiliency as been remarkable, and it hasnt hurt them in the standings yet.  However, if Rask or Chara or Bergeron get hurt playing for their respective countries, the Bruins suddenly become a second-division team.

If I was Jacobs, I would resist this possibility as much as possible.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, ok.

Sections
Shortcuts