NHL players trying to organize 'caravan' league

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

NHL players trying to organize 'caravan' league

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/21/nhl-players-trying-to-organize-caravan-league/70000825/1#.UFy7zVEncik

"A recent CSN Philadelphia report revealed that a group of French-Canadian Flyers players--Max Talbot and Bruno Gervais--are attempting to organize a series of games, starting up a league in Quebec. The teams would travel around Quebec. Hence the "caravan" name tag.

The Quebec-based league idea has a hint of deja vu. Back during the 2004-05 season, Joel Bouchard organized a barn-storm league. Bouchard created a McDonald's Caravan, a 16-weekend tour of four-on-four hockey that featured some of the NHL's stars. The league toured throughout Quebec and all proceeds went to charity"

Don't recall the touring league during the last lockout. Any of our Quebec Bruins fans get to see any games during the the last NHL work stoppage ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: NHL players trying to organize 'caravan' league

Maybe we can talk Kane and Lucic into doing the same thing out here in NC.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Regional teams would be fun.

MA would have a halfway decent nhl team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not bad, but they'd be weak on forwards, which could be ok if they did 4 on 4.

Pandolpho Boyle Butler

Aucoin Ferreiro Hayes

McCarthy Hennessy

Yandle Whitney

Gill Mottau

Janik Carlson

Schneider

DiPetro

The BC team looks pretty solid

Lucic RNH Kane

Benn Turris Ladd

Horcoff Brouwer Yip

Kobasew Morrison Connoly

Seabrook Weber

Brewer Hamhuis

Goirges Hannan

Price

LaBarbera

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Maybe we can talk Kane and Lucic into doing the same thing out here in NC.

[/QUOTE]

Huh this is kind of fun, so I thought I'd do a few more. Not necessarily lining the forward lines up by position, take too long.

Manitoba
    Toews Sharp Zajac
    Steen Penner Fehr
    Helm Asham Tootoo
    McCleod Shelley Orr
    Keith Hamonic
    Barker White
    Salvador Rome
    Reimer

Michigan
    Legwand Kesler Booth
    Rolston Slater Larose
    Gerbe Moss Abdelkader
    Porter Conner Condra
    Wisniewski Gleason
    Greene Greene
    Hunwick Petry
    Miller
    Johnson

Minnesota
    Parise Backes Langenbrunner
    Okposo Wheeler Mueller
    Blake Stepan Wyman
    Cullen Petersen Hendricks
    Byfuglien Alberts
    Ballard Gilbert
    Goligoski Johnson
    No goalies so they'll have to slap some phonebooks onto Buff.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

two more and these are quite impressive

Quebec

St Louis Lecavlier Gagne

Burrows Bergeron (just for fun ;) Briere

Gagne Statsny Pominville

Ribeiro Parenteau Bouchard

Letang Vlasic

Robidas Beachemin

Bergeron Gervais

Brodeur

Fleury

Louongo

Ontario

Spezza Stamkos Thornton

Staal Giroux Tavares

Nash Perry Skinner

Seguin Richards Carter

Doughty Bieksa

Subban Fowler

Boyle Pietrangelo

Smith

Elliott

That's the type of team that wouldn't just win a cup, they'd be real threat for Olympic gold

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not bad, but they'd be weak on forwards, which could be ok if they did 4 on 4.Pandolpho Boyle Butler Aucoin Ferreiro Hayes McCarthy Hennessy

Oh the days of Guerin, Amonte, Roenick, Tkachuk, Young, Stevens and McEachern.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm not sure if teaming up with Bruno is the best idea.  It hasn't worked for anyone before!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Red, despite my snide remarks once every...six months, I really do appreciate your input here.  This thread is an exact reason why.  Absolutely lots of fun.

To be fair to the Americans, states are much smaller than provinces.  If you go with regions, such as the north east to include NY and PA, you could include Ryan Malone, Bogosian, RJ Umberger, Ryan Callahan, Jimmy Howard, Patrick Kane, and others!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Red. just curious, what about that Phil Kessel guy?  Why didn't he make any of the lineups?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Red. just curious, what about that Phil Kessel guy?  Why didn't he make any of the lineups?

[/QUOTE]

He's from Wisconsin - I'll get to him in another one.

And NAS you're right about regionality for the states, so for the whole NE, (and I'll add in Nova Scotia as it's part of the Bruins traditional fanbase) you'd get
    Marchand Crosby Kane
    Gionta Connolly Brown
    Pandolpho Boyle Cole
    Callahan Stempniak Higgins
    Malone Parros Umberger
    Yandle Whitney
    Gill MacDonald
    Bogosian White
    Schneider
    DiPetro
    Boucher

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Here's Kessel - a Midwest team

Parise Kesler Kessel

Pavelski Backes Langenbrunner

Okposo Wheeler Mueller

Legwand Rolston Booth

Suter Byfuglien

Wisniewski Alberts

Liles Johnson

Miller
    Johnson

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

One more - Western Canada - I put Boychuk and Ference on for sentimental reasons.

Lucic Getzlaf Kane

Iginla Toews Hartnell

Eberle RNH Hall

Penner Smyth Doan

Weber Green

Keith Seabrook

Ference Boychuk

Price

Ward

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oops,. when I was doing the NE team I missed Conneticut (too many damn states in New England :p)

So  that would add Quick and Pacioretty, and maybe Shattenkirk and Hainsey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Geographic size is less important than population.  The population of MA is larger than Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined even though they're compressed into an area roughly the size of Wendell Clark's family farm.  I've always thought that that kind of Metro compression was an advantage for elite athletes because you're more likely to play against other elite athletes regularly than if you had the same number of top players in different regions.  It certainly seems to work that way in Ontario...but then again, the BC interior has produced as many - or more - star players than Metro Vancouver and Quebec City and regions in more sparsely populated areas seem to produce more players than Montreal.  Too much jazz and smoked mean, and too many strip clubs that ID too cavalierly.  Too many cars to burn and Gauloises to smoke.

Best way to handle this is the way they do it for the under 17 tournament - Canada is split the way hockey pools used to split Gretzky's goals and assists:  Pacific, Western, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic.  Everyone else?  Country.  U.S.A., Russia, Czechs, Finns....  Bring it!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I should add that even then, Ontario has dominated with 8 wins.  USA, Russia and Quebec tie for second with 3 wins apeice.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Geographic size is less important than population.  The population of MA is larger than Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba combined even though they're compressed into an area roughly the size of Wendell Clark's family farm.  I've always thought that that kind of Metro compression was an advantage for elite athletes because you're more likely to play against other elite athletes regularly than if you had the same number of top players in different regions.  It certainly seems to work that way in Ontario...but then again, the BC interior has produced as many - or more - star players than Metro Vancouver and Quebec City and regions in more sparsely populated areas seem to produce more players than Montreal.  Too much jazz and smoked mean, and too many strip clubs that ID too cavalierly.  Too many cars to burn and Gauloises to smoke.

Best way to handle this is the way they do it for the under 17 tournament - Canada is split the way hockey pools used to split Gretzky's goals and assists:  Pacific, Western, Ontario, Quebec, Atlantic.  Everyone else?  Country.  U.S.A., Russia, Czechs, Finns....  Bring it!

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing. What good is the size of a province or state when you have to drive forever to find a town and people ? Ontario is huge. Try driving through Northern Ontario to find civilization. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Oops,. when I was doing the NE team I missed Conneticut (too many damn states in New England :p)

So  that would add Quick and Pacioretty, and maybe Shattenkirk and Hainsey.

[/QUOTE]

I would love to miss Connecticut.  I hate that place.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I like the idea of states just because of Kessel.  He could be team captain of team Wisconsin.  And I did forget he was from there, I always keep thinking Minnesota and when anyone mentions Wisconsin all of those infamous stories come back*.  I'm not crazy about CT or NJ either.  It's part of the northern superioirty thing.  Where you grew up has everything to do with environmnentally induced genetics to play the game.  And then again I hate the Quebecois who come down here (2 of the worst skaters I know) who are all belligerent like it's their birth right.

* Like this one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhqQuDi4dYE

Someone should have punched his lights for that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

BadHab as much as I disliked his attitude here in Boston, I think that's great. Nothing I like more than letting the crowd have it after boo'ing you than scoring and pretty much telling them to pound sand.

Similar to Ferrence flipping off the Bell Centre or the guy that got hit in the face by the puck after he mocked (I don't remember his name) who got hit earlier that same game.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

really hate Connecticut ?  why ?

I'm going to watch the game coming up in Sherbrooke, Quebec. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Connecticut has some of the most socio-economic successful middle class people in the United States as Sandog's Southern California.  Toronto, is not a cheapo city, it has a massive suburbia again with som mighty well tado people.  So Connecicut sucks as much as LA, Toronto, and most likely Chicago.  Oh well, Quebec province trotters is a good idea.  Deprived Quebeckers need hockey! Hockey is big time in my life, but time to find some "nature".  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Connecticut is where New Yorkers move to raise kids but still work in Manhattan. The state is split down the middle as far as sports, half Jets half Pats fans, half Red Sux fans half Stainkee fans etc. Pretty state along the coast but any state called the "nutmeg state" deserves to be made fun of by it's residents commenting "Don't worry I always turn the lights out when I leave after visiting".

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't think it has to do with competiton as environment. There's not much else to do in rural Alberta, Sask. and Manitoba during the winter than shoot the puck around the shinny rink. With such a small population they've still produced Howe, Messier, Shore, Sawchuk, Hall, Bower, Bucyk, the Neidermayers, Bathgate, Clarke, McDonald, Gadsby, Fuhr, Vernon, Belfour, Hextall, Trottier, etc.

Sections
Shortcuts