NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format???

So, for those of you who don't already know, Bettman is apparently proposing a four-division format starting with the 2012-1013 season.  The league will consist of 2 conferences; each conference will have two divisions, one with 7 teams and one with 8 teams.

I do not like this plan at all.  It makes the league realignment way more complicated than it needs to be.  Nashville is only 200 miles from Atlanta.  So just move the Predators to the Southeast Division and have Winnipeg take Nashville's place in the Central.  There, problem solved.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format???

Detroit to the East seems to make even more sense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format???:
    Detroit to the East seems to make even more sense.
    Posted by dezaruchi

In my opinion, moving Nashville would cause the least amount of problems.  Nashville is the closest to the other Southeast Division teams. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format??? : In my opinion, moving Nashville would cause the least amount of problems.  Nashville is the closest to the other Southeast Division teams. 
    Posted by TimThomas-god

I just feel as if Detroit faces the biggest obstacles(geographically)in the post-season. Do they ever play in their own time zone on the road?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

I don't know about postseason, but I actually did a school project on NHL teams' travel distances during the season.  Detroit traveled approximately 39,000 miles during the season (15th most in the league, which isn't that bad).  Nashville actually traveled more miles (41,000) this year. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Think dollars we know JJ, who's in charge, does. Columbus has not made any rivalries yet and Ye ol Norris division still has them. Ohio is the least expensive flight, The Wurtz's and Mike Ilich are huge voices on the board so I just can't see the Hawks and Wings being broken up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

But if you move Detroit to the East, which division do they do into? Geographically, the Atlantic with Pittsburgh? northeast? Either way you will have three divisions in the east, one with 6 teams, one with 5 teams, then the Southeast would be 4 teams. That wont work, and if you are going to put Detroit in the SE, might as well make it easier on everyone and move Nashville, Besides, who wants to play Detroit more each year?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

according to a source with the minnesota wild, its not going to go to 4 divisions. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

The Great Lakes Division? hmmmm

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

But if you move Detroit to the East, which division do they do into? Geographically, the Atlantic with Pittsburgh? northeast? Either way you will have three divisions in the east, one with 6 teams, one with 5 teams, then the Southeast would be 4 teams. That wont work, and if you are going to put Detroit in the SE, might as well make it easier on everyone and move Nashville, Besides, who wants to play Detroit more each year?
    Posted by davecarr

They could simply switch divisions with the Jets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

This is one of the alignments that been mentioned, but I dont think its decided yet.

Detroit has been screaming for years to get out of the West.  Holland has constantly been harping about travel issues.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

I thought I read somewhere about two teams moving from west to east, making it 16 teams in the east and 14 in the west. I'm with Dez and the Wings on this one ... it makes sense to put them in the east.

The whole alignment discussion convinces me the NHL has a very clear plan for the Coyotes. They won't invest the time and money on a realignment plan if there's uncertainty regarding the 'Yotes situation. The league won't make a move unless they have a rock solid idea of where the Yotes will be playing in the coming years.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I thought I read somewhere about two teams moving from west to east, making it 16 teams in the east and 14 in the west. I'm with Dez and the Wings on this one ... it makes sense to put them in the east. The whole alignment discussion convinces me the NHL has a very clear plan for the Coyotes. They won't invest the time and money on a realignment plan if there's uncertainty regarding the 'Yotes situation. The league won't make a move unless they have a rock solid idea of where the Yotes will be playing in the coming years.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

Agreed, I don't know how you do any realignment until you figure out where the Yotes are playing - there are at least 5 options on the table fr wherethey'll be in 2012/2013 (including staying in Phoenix). Thos options span all four time zones.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bochi6. Show bochi6's posts

The league should probably wait until Phoenix is settled and maybe even wait until the Florida Panthers inevitably fail and get moved. Hartford Panthers? Las Vegas Panthers? Quebec Panthers? 

I vote for Vegas.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format??? : Agreed, I don't know how you do any realignment until you figure out where the Yotes are playing - there are at least 5 options on the table fr wherethey'll be in 2012/2013 (including staying in Phoenix). Thos options span all four time zones.
    Posted by red75
    Where do you see them ending up? Quebec would be great for nostalgia's sake, but the smart money would seem to be on Kansas City. It would cause minimal disruption with scheduling and could preserve current divisional structures. Plus it would be a good regional rivalry for the Blues and KC does have its arena.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format??? : Where do you see them ending up? Quebec would be great for nostalgia's sake, but the smart money would seem to be on Kansas City. It would cause minimal disruption with scheduling and could preserve current divisional structures. Plus it would be a good regional rivalry for the Blues and KC does have its arena.
    Posted by BruinsFanInPenTerritory

KC has yet to have anyone step up who wants to own a team there, and Quebec's arena is stuck in red-tape hell.

I'd put my money on Washington State/Seattle. Don Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves, is trying to get a rink built in Bellevue, and looks like he will likely get it done. He's doing it with the purpose of luring an NHL team there.
    Good regional rivalry with Vancouver, solid hockey fan base, an owner who knows hockey and has operated one of the two most financially successful teams in the AHL (the other being the Manitoba Moose), and a new rink that's not beholden to Seattle City Council.

He's very much trying to follow a similar path to what Mark Chipman did (prove himself as an owner in th AHL before making the jump to the NHL). They also have the old arena they could play in for a couple of seasons until the new rink is built.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsFanInPenTerritory. Show BruinsFanInPenTerritory's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Realignment: 4 Division Format??? : KC has yet to have anyone step up who wants to own a team there, and Quebec's arena is stuck in red-tape hell. I'd put my money on Washington State/Seattle. Don Levin, owner of the Chicago Wolves, is trying to get a rink built in Bellevue, and looks like he will likely get it done. He's doing it with the purpose of luring an NHL team there. Good regional rivalry with Vancouver, solid hockey fan base, an owner who knows hockey and has operated one of the two most financially successful teams in the AHL (the other being the Manitoba Moose), and a new rink that's not beholden to Seattle City Council. He's very much trying to follow a similar path to what Mark Chipman did (prove himself as an owner in th AHL before making the jump to the NHL). They also have the old arena they could play in for a couple of seasons until the new rink is built.
    Posted by red75

Can't argue with that logic, though I will say ... My fingers are absolutely crossed on Seattle. I'm potentially relocating there in a year or two and having an NHL team in-town would only cement my desire to move to the Northwest. The region seems like a great area for sports and any I'm a fan of any team that is a rival of the 'Nucks.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

The way i would like to see the new alignment is as follows:
    (A) Same Conference
    North East Division

Ottawa
    Montreal
    NYI
    Boston
    NYR
    Buffalo
    Toronto

South East Division

Philadelphia
    Washington
    Pittsburgh
    Nashville
    NJD
    Tampa Bay
    Florida
    Carolina

(B) Same Conference

North West Division

Winnipeg
    Edmonton
    Calgary
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Detroit
    Vancouver

South West Division

Phoenix
    St. Louis
    Dallas
    Colorado
    Columbus
    LA
    SJ
    Anaheim

Each team in Conference plays each other 4 times.
    2 gms. Back to back the first half of season then back to back gm. the second half ( with a one day rest for traveling back to each city)ie Boston will play Montreal in Mtl. then one day rest for both Montreal and Boston can travel back to Boston for a home gm.
    All Teams will do the same cycle until all matches are completed.

Mid way point of season each team will play one another once in the opposite conference ie Boston will play each team in the North West on the road then the teams from the south west division will come to Boston to play one game in Boston. Each season they alternate  ie Boston will go on a road trip to play the Southwest teams and North West teams will come to Boston to play a gm.

Total Gms. Own Conference gms.        4 X 14 = 56 gms.
                   Opposite conference gms.  1 X 15= 15 gms.

Over all a shorter season of 71 gms. the seeding for playoffs will stay the same.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Bob - I like your thinking on this. The idea of one conference always playing the other teams of another conference home/away would be intriguing. NFL-style. Great way to build parity into the schedule, and makes it so we are guaranteed to see all teams from the West in the Garden at least every other year, and all teams on tv every year.

However, I don't see anyone passing up the cash of reducing the 82-game schedule.

LOVE the idea of two home-and-home series from a competition and intensity perspective, and perhaps the way to make up those 11 games that went missing would be to start by adding a 5th game in-division so there is incentive to win your division, then 4-5 games at neutral sites either at the start of the season or in and around the Winter and Heritage Classics.

Based on your divisions, it would look like this for the first 77 games:

North East Division - 30 games
    Ottawa x 5
    Montreal x 5
    NYI x 5
    Boston
    NYR x 5
    Buffalo x 5
    Toronto x 5

South East Division - 32 games

Philadelphia x 4
    Washington x 4
    Pittsburgh x 4
    Nashville x 4
    NJD x 4
    Tampa Bay x 4
    Florida x 4
    Carolina x 4

North West Division (Home games) - 7 games
    Winnipeg x1
    Edmonton x 1
    Calgary x1
    Minnesota x1
    Chicago x1
    Detroit x1
    Vancouver x1

South West Division (Aways Games) - 8 games
    Phoenix x1
    St. Louis x1
    Dallas x1
    Colorado x1
    Columbus x1
    LA x1
    SJ x1
    Anaheim x1

Subtotal = 77

+2 or 3 Season Openers on neutral ice (similar to the Prague Trip). Number would depend on the # of teams in your conference, as this is a way to even the schedule.
    +1 Rivalry Game on January 1st - every year on 12/31 or 1/1, the league's biggest rivalries play in and around the Winter Classic. One game in US continues to be played outdoors.
    +1 Rivalry Game late February - not the same opposition as the other rivalry game. Every year in and around the Heritage Classic. One game in CAN continues to be played outdoors.

Some will think it's gimmicky, but I'd rather see 4-5 games played in interesting scenarios than ANOTHER divisional game against Ottawa or Buffalo. It would mean, for example, that Boston and MTL play x6 every year. Since every team goes through similar circumstances, the parity would be there while the NHL has more marketing opportunities. I'd personally like to see games in places like Vegas, Seattle, KC, Quebec, Hartford, Orlando, Hamilton, San Fran, Mexico City, Houston, Boise, the Maritimes, etc if they can find a way to make the money and capacity work.

But your base idea is good. Nice work.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Thanx asmaha i would think the competition would be very intense with back to back gms. The fans would love to see the game 2 if the gm 1 was very tense and hatred building up. Even the team franchise can book a airplane load of fans to travel to the away gms.

Sections
Shortcuts