NHL realignment story

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

NHL realignment story

Sixteen teams in the East ( Detroit and Columbus making the move ) and 14 in the West.

Keep in mind that this is a report, not an official announcement.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/23/report-nhl-proposes-new-realignment-plan/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: NHL realignment story

I'd love to have Detroit and Columbus in the "conference".

It would be awesome to see the Wings more often and it would be just as awesome to beat up the doormat more often.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

It would be awesome to see the Wings more often and it would be just as awesome to beat up the doormat more often.

The Red Wings are going in the direction of doormat.  They might not make the playoffs this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I would like to see how much money it will save the tri-state teams, it has to be good and a driving force for some of the re-alignment. I like Detroit in the same conference as the Bruins.

Nashville gets the shaft on travel, conference 4 out west looks like its region.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

The Red Wings are going in the direction of doormat.  They might not make the playoffs this year.

How about thinking along the lines of seeing an Original 6 team on a more regular basis in the future rather then pointing out where you think they might be headed this year ?

Bruins - Red Wings games have been entertaining for the few times they have met.

They have a terrific franchise. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

let's do it and move on. Attendance shows the fan interest is there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Like the realignment , don't like 4 Conferences.  Would have preferred what we have now and divide them East and West. 

Waiting to see how the playoffs play out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

How about thinking along the lines of seeing an Original 6 team on a more regular basis in the future rather then pointing out where you think they might be headed this year ?

Bruins - Red Wings games have been entertaining for the few times they have met.

1) NAS seemed to suggest it was on a competitive basis

2) It was an opportunity to rebuff NAS on some basis, always worth it.

3) You're just plain simple dead wrong as always.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

It's about time really..could never figure out why they where in the West. Having Detroit in the Eastern conference , just makes more sense. They are a class organization , and will enjoy watching the Bruins play them more often.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

2) It was an opportunity to rebuff NAS on some basis, always worth it.

3) You're just plain simple dead wrong as always.

1) Where ?

2) Poor effort

3) Ouch ! You're now included in the fiery crash.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nope.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

1) Where ?

2) Poor effort

3) Ouch ! You're now included in the fiery crash.

1)

"awesome" in this context suggests it would be a good game.

2) It's all I got fo now.

3) impossible.  Dez and I in the same car together?  I can't feature that.  Besides, the way NAS is going I think it's going to have to be a fiery bus crash to fit all those people in there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Nope.

OK.  What did you mean?  I'll subtract points if you just quote Chowda.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nope.

I love all Original Six matchups.  Four are in one conference.  We don't get to see the other two enough.  It would be awesome to get to see B's vs. Detroit more often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I would like to see how much money it will save the tri-state teams, it has to be good and a driving force for some of the re-alignment. I like Detroit in the same conference as the Bruins.

Nashville gets the shaft on travel, conference 4 out west looks like its region.

It's not too bad for Nashville. At least all their conference games, aside from Colorado, are in their own time zone. Remember, though we tend to think of them as a Southern city, they're still in the Central time zone, and the closest team to them is St. Louis.

The Avs get hooked a little in terms of TV broadcast times of away games, but not too bad. Both Detroit and Columbus will be happy, as will the Jets, Dallas and Minnesota, three central teams that don't have to play division games on one of the two coasts anymore. I also like that they finally have all four west coast teams together.

I'm still confused about how they split up the other four SE teams. Geographically I would think it'd make more sense to keep the together, add them in with NYR, NYI, NJ, and Columbus, and put Pitts and Philly in with Conference 2, but I suppose they wanted to keep all of the existing Atlantic together.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Nope.

You reading between the lines isn't as good as your comments of draft picks solely based on numbers.

And you know what I think of that.......

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just one other thought about TB and Fla. - They now have four Original six teams, plus another two NE teams. Could help with attendance with the snowbirds and transplants, similar to when Phoenix hosts Original six or NE teams. I'm sure there are plenty of Quebec snowbirds that would flock to Habs games at cheaper prices than they'd ever get at Bell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Just one other thought about TB and Fla. - They now have four Original six teams, plus another two NE teams. Could help with attendance with the snowbirds and transplants, similar to when Phoenix hosts Original six or NE teams. I'm sure there are plenty of Quebec snowbirds that would flock to Habs games at cheaper prices than they'd ever get at Bell.

Careful.  When I saw NE thought you were saying New England and not NorthEast.  We're a little touchy about that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Careful.  When I saw NE thought you were saying New England and not NorthEast.  We're a little touchy about that.

heh, I'll keep that in mind.

I also wonder how this will shakedown if the Coyotes saga does in fact end with a relocation. If it's Seattle, no problem. If it's to one of the Cenral time zone options, you just flip them with Colorado. If it's anywhere to the east, that could be more problematic.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I've read a few articles and responses to this over the last two days, and it highlights how tricky it can be since I've seen so many idiotic proposals that fans argue would be better. Makes me think a lot of NHL fans can't read a map. These "Better" proposals have included everything from puting Nashville in the East, Winnipeg into the Pacific (??? That's even worse than what they have now) splitting up Boston and Montreal, splitting up the Penn teams, leaving Dallas in the Pacific, and on and on and on. It may not be perfect (like I said, I'd like the Florida teams to go into 1, and the Penn teams to move to 2 but I understand why that wasn't proposed.) but it's an extremely complicated process and I haven't seen many other suggestions that are much of an improvement over this proposal.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

Looking at the other proposals that have been floating around since last year, this one looks pretty good. I like the idea of rescuing Columbus, as moving to the East will help that market. The only question would be what would happen if a franchise should end up in Quebec City?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to Dave24's comment:

Looking at the other proposals that have been floating around since last year, this one looks pretty good. I like the idea of rescuing Columbus, as moving to the East will help that market. The only question would be what would happen if a franchise should end up in Quebec City?

Expansion or relocation to the East could be a massive headache Dave. This structure almost seems to give a slight advantage to cities like Seattle, Milwaukee, Portland, Houston and KC when it comes time for an inevitable relocation and possible expansion - 16 teams in the Eastern time zone, and 16 split between the other three. Phoenix's new conference would make a switch to Seattle pretty easy. If they go to the Midwest, you slide Colorado back in with Van et al. But if they go to Quebec? I'd hate to be the one who has to tell Ilitch they're heading back West.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:

It's not too bad for Nashville. At least all their conference games, aside from Colorado, are in their own time zone. Remember, though we tend to think of them as a Southern city, they're still in the Central time zone, and the closest team to them is St. Louis.

It still takes actual time/hours to get to the northern destination no matter what it says on the clock. The tube still gets pressurized and you are stuck in the air for a longer period of time than other teams.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

It still takes actual time/hours to get to the northern destination no matter what it says on the clock. The tube still gets pressurized and you are stuck in the air for a longer period of time than other teams.

They're closer to St. Louis and Chicago than they are to Raleigh, the closest SE team to them. They're closer to Dallas than Tampa or Washington. They're closer to Minneapolis than they are to Miami. Yes Winnipeg and Denver are a ways away, but the Ducks, Kings Sharks, Coyotes, Flames, Oilers, Canadiens, Panthers, Canucks, Leafs, Senators, Lightning, Red Wings, Sabres and Bruins all will have longer flights to their farthest away in-conference rival. They're not nearly as screwed as you seem to think.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Defenitely got Eastern Conference 1 and Western 2 (Pacific ?) correct. And to your point Phoenix probably won't be there in two years so who cares if they get the shaft in travel.

Colorado and Michigan have wierd tail winds so traveling through or over them completly bites. Whenever I fly back to the west coast from Boston and go over Michiga n Colorado, I won't look at Google map cause it takes hours to get over those two states.