NHL to table new offer.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

NHL to table new offer.

Fan590 Toronto is reporting the NHL has prepared a new offer that will be tabled in the next few days. Apparently leaked by a player.

There is a growing swell to get a deal done by both sides by January 10.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: NHL to table new offer.

TSN has something on it as well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412368

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the NHL adjusted its maximum contract length from five to six years (seven years if a team is re-signing its own player) and boosted the variance from five to 10 per cent.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun adds that the new offer includes the 'Make Whole' provision that stays at $300 million and allows each team one compliance buyout prior to the 2013-14 season. The buyout would not count against the cap, but it would against the players' share.

The player says the new league offer still calls for the salary cap to be $60 million for the 2013-14 season, which could be an issue when it comes to escrow."

And that means the NHLPA will not accept the new offer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the NHL adjusted its maximum contract length from five to six years (seven years if a team is re-signing its own player) and boosted the variance from five to 10 per cent.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun adds that the new offer includes the 'Make Whole' provision that stays at $300 million and allows each team one compliance buyout prior to the 2013-14 season. The buyout would not count against the cap, but it would against the players' share.

The player says the new league offer still calls for the salary cap to be $60 million for the 2013-14 season, which could be an issue when it comes to escrow."

And that means the NHLPA will not accept the new offer.

[/QUOTE]

Sadly the last part is probably true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nhlpa won't do this.  NHL can make it as media friendly as they want.  Fehr is a moron.  Bettman is the leader of the morons.  I love that Bettman was literally shaking with frustration during the last rejection.   I officially support neither side.  Once an agreement is made Fehr and bettmans heads should come with the signing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I'm waiting for Steve Burton to confirm it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

and Fehr's rejection comes in 4...3...2..1...

It's funny, I originally supported the players because this is essentially a have vs. have-not's scenario between the owners...but the NHLPA's (and Fehr in particular) idiotic stances, outright greed, and blathering rhetoric have made me not only want the players to lose but to continue losing by wiping out this season, so we can see how the players at the bottom end of the pay scale, guys clinging to the back end of their careers, and, those just hoping to keep thier modest careers alive really feel when their livelihoods are cavalierly tossed aside by the guys who've already made enough to support the economy of most 3rd world countries.

"You'll get nothing and like it"

-Judge Smails

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's funny, I originally supported the players because this is essentially a have vs. have-not's scenario between the owners...but the NHLPA's (and Fehr in particular) idiotic stances, outright greed, and blathering rhetoric have made me not only want the players to lose but to continue losing by wiping out this season, so we can see how the players at the bottom end of the pay scale, guys clinging to the back end of their careers, and, those just hoping to keep thier modest careers alive really feel when their livelihoods are cavalierly tossed aside by the guys who've already made enough to support the economy of most 3rd world countries.

-Judge Smails

[/QUOTE]

Not to sound crass, but the CBA's really about the future - guy's like Hamilton, Knight, Spooner and Koko.  So they have a fair and equitable environment to do business in.

The guys on the tail end of their career, really, are just victims of timing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

here's the offer.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/21004/highlights-of-nhls-dec-27-proposal

was going to copy and paste it, but when i did the punctuation messups made it almost unreadable.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

-Judge Smails

[/QUOTE]

Not to sound crass, but the CBA's really about the future - guy's like Hamilton, Knight, Spooner and Koko.  So they have a fair and equitable environment to do business in.

The guys on the tail end of their career, really, are just victims of timing.

[/QUOTE]

You really believe the PA is thinking about the future players coming in ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

When the dust settles, and it will once everyone checks their ego at the door, I'm more interested in stuff like this:

@tsnjamesduthie: One of the more intriguing things in NHL offer is a draft lottery that would give all non-playoff teams a chance at first pick. Overdue.

After all the nonsense, there might be some good in this thing in the end.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope a 100+ day lockout hasn't been about the tail end guys.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Asmaha, you're assuming the dust settles. I'm much less confident than you that the Keystone Kops (Bettman and Fehr) could ever check their egos at the door. The haves (Tor, Bruins, Philly, Rangers, etc.) have given a direct order to Bettman...make the players shoulder the burden for the welfare teams. The NHLPA doesn't seem willing to concede anything, even though they assume no business risk.

Bim, I really don't think the NHLPA is taking their inane stance for the future of the young players. They are loathe to give in on the sweet deal they currently have, err...had. The good and elite players are going to get theirs regardless, now and in the future.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to bim09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I certainly hope a 100+ day lockout hasn't been about the tail end guys.

[/QUOTE]

It's about their current pay checks and how long they can continue making millions.

The owners with this offer might look good but Fehr will only tell the PA to wait because the owners will give more.  Just like how the 300M make whole was off the table now it's back on this offer.  Jeez can the owners sound more stupid !

Anyway I would rather discuss the hockey that's going on now than a bunch of millionaires and billionaires. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

"Fair and Equitable"...?

NHL Minimum Salary: $525,000

NHL Average Salary: $2.4million

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]

Asmaha, you're assuming the dust settles. I'm much less confident than you that the Keystone Kops (Bettman and Fehr) could ever check their egos at the door. The haves (Tor, Bruins, Philly, Rangers, etc.) have given a direct order to Bettman...make the players shoulder the burden for the welfare teams. The NHLPA doesn't seem willing to concede anything, even though they assume no business risk.

Bim, I really don't think the NHLPA is taking their inane stance for the future of the young players. They are loathe to give in on the sweet deal they currently have, err...had. The good and elite players are going to get theirs regardless, now and in the future.

[/QUOTE]

OB, the latest NHLPA disclaimer vote finished 706-22. Sounds like the union is united in their stance, rather than high end players not caring about the low end. Nobody wants to see the game return more than I do but I'd rather see them scrap the rest of this year if it means hammering out a good deal for both sides and not having anymore strikes/lockouts for 8-10 years(at least). I think the lockut ends within 2 weeks anyway. Cheers!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Fair and Equitable"...?

NHL Minimum Salary: $525,000

NHL Average Salary: $2.4million

[/QUOTE]

"Fehr and Equitable" ...?  Likely not. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

25 t0 30% in escrow.....now that is worth a discussion.  No one on here would agree to those numbers.  Especially after at pare down from 57% to 50%, a hard stance on making whole, then an insistence on a ten year CBA.  Nope, the season is cooked gentlemen, and ladies.  Where is the hookah, I need a Ravi Shankar hit now!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

25 t0 30% in escrow.....now that is worth a discussion.  No one on here would agree to those numbers.  Especially after at pare down from 57% to 50%, a hard stance on making whole, then an insistence on a ten year CBA.  Nope, the season is cooked gentlemen, and ladies.  Where is the hookah, I need a Ravi Shankar hit now!

[/QUOTE]

R.I.P Ravi. Bang a Gong Isla !!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Little bit of spin there, Isla.  The 10 year agreement exists, but either side can opt out after 8.  In their favor, there is no mandatory rollback of salaries, the cap stays at $70M this year, ELC and UFA remain the same, no re-entry waivers and more.  Those are just off the top of my head.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]

-Judge Smails

[/QUOTE]

Perfect !

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Prior to yesterday's NHL proposal the postion below may be classified as spin but the fact remains the owners have a mission to break the union.  I am not in favor of unions in general but I am not in favor of oligarchical control.  After reading the proposal details on ESPN, the escrow amounts were not guaranteed.  The thought remains there is more from Fehr than just honing the NHL proposal imo.  

CSNWASHINGTON.COM: Chuck Gormley interviewed Capitals players Jason Chimera and Brooks Laich on the current situation. The pair doubt the PA would be receptive to the league’s previous offer if it were re-tabled, explaining the high escrow (possibly 20 – 30 percent) as a reason why the players wouldn’t accept it.

Chimera believes there are only a few sticking points between the two sides, suggesting if the owners showed a little more flexibility, a deal could be reached. “We’ve had record revenues. We keep hearing, ‘We’ve got to cut your salaries; we’ve got to cut you benefits; we’ve got to cut your everything. We need something that is better than what we had before to entice us to make a deal, but we haven’t seen any of that”, said Chimera, who compared negotiating with the league to chasing a chicken. “I don’t know if they’re trying to crush the union or what”, he said. “We gave a lot.”

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Crushing the union certainly seems to be what the league negotiators are going for again. They got the players to concede to a 50-50 revenue split, accept a “make whole” provision on existing contracts rather than owners honoring the remaining full value, and term limits on contracts. To use a war metaphor, the players have surrendered, but the league continues to bomb the city.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Brouwer to owners: 'It's about time'

Capitals right wing Troy Brouwer’s initial response to the NHL’s newest proposal to end the lockout was short and sweet.

“We feel that it’s about time,” Brouwer told CSNWashington.com. “We gave the last proposal and we’ve been waiting for the league to start talking.”

The NHL’s latest proposal looks very much like the owners made back on Dec. 7, only this time they increased maximum contract lengths from five years to six [the players have lobbied for eight] and fattened the year-to-year variance of those contracts from 5 percent to 10 percent [the players proposed 25 percent].

“It’s a good step forward that the sides are in communication and more ideas are being thrown around,” Brouwer said. “It’s a sign that hopefully things are going forward.”

In other words, the owners’ latest proposal is a start, not a finish.

“There are still some issues that are fairly large issues for players,” Brouwer said. “But there is and always has been a framework we can work off to try and find a deal. There has to be some bargaining back and forth and both sides need to be willing to come to an agreement that fits both sides.”

Last week, Capitals left wing Jason Chimera told CSNWashington that one of the biggest concerns for players was how the league’s proposed $60 million salary cap would impact player salaries. Chimera said the result could be players placing 30 percent of their income in escrow accounts.

“It’s a very large concern,” Brouwer said. “Any time you have a drastic reduction in the cap you have to find a way to get inside the rules and regulations. That is a very big concern for the players, whether it’s a straight rollback of salaries or escrows, the players have to pay and it’s still a very large reduction in player salaries. Guys aren’t exactly thrilled about that aspect of it.”

With a current payroll of $63.6 million, the Capitals are one of 16 NHL teams that are above the proposed ceiling, which would not take effect until next season. Until then teams can spend up to the limit of $70.2 million. Under the owners’ proposal, teams also would be granted one buyout before next season, with the player’s salary not counting against the cap.

The Caps might choose to buy out a player such as winger Joel Ward, who has three years [including this season] and $9 million left on his contract, or they may wait until the summer.

That, of course, is putting the cart before the horse.

What stands before the players now is a chance to end the lockout and salvage an abbreviated season of about 50 games.

So are the two sides any closer to playing hockey today than they were at any other time during these negotiations?

“It’s tough to say,” Brouwer said. “We’ve gone over the bullet points. Any time someone hands you a stack of papers you have to go through them thoroughly and make sure the wording and the language is proper and not hiding anything.

“At this point we’re still trying to go through such an extensive document, but I’m still very optimistic a season can be put together and we can get some games in and hopefully have a successful season.”

Brouwer's comments about this being a place to start are a little concerning.  Owner's latest proposal make some concessions, sounds like Brouwer expects to see more.  My guess is that the owner's expect to see some good-will from the NHLPA now.

Also, a little surprised by Chimera's comments.  Wouldn't one expect a reduction in the Cap and Salaries when reducing NHLPA share of revenue from 57% to 50%?  The Cap reduction is proportional to the reduction in share of revenue, might be an oversimplification on my end, what am I missing?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

What am really hope for Crowles, if there is going to be a season, is the owners don't run off n sulk like Molly Ringwald in an 80s John Hughes film if the players counter with a $66M-$67M cap counter proposal. Stay in the fight and negotiate what the cap should be at the start of the 2013-2014, don't walk away.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GillesGilbert. Show GillesGilbert's posts

How are the Bruins going to get down to 60M for for 2013-14? They'd be over that even with Thomas off the books and Horton not resigned. I was also hoping that they wouldn't allow the one time buyout as this will unfairly advantage teams who haven't managed their budgets wisely (i.e., helps teams other than the Bruins).