NHL will allow teams two contract buyouts in 2013-14; who gets them ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

NHL will allow teams two contract buyouts in 2013-14; who gets them ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-allow-teams-two-contract-buyouts-2013-14-165733976--nhl.html

http://capgeek.com/leaders/?type=LENGTH

"TSN is licking it's chops over it's forthcomingv"Compliance Buyout Bonanza" TV special for whatever day this takes place." A+ post from the comment section of Yahoo!

DiPierto's contract might not be needed anymore to get the BrookIlanders to the cap floor anymore, that is if 2013-2014 does stay at a cap of $60M. I say Jeff Vanek buys out Lecavalier for sure, Gomez is an easy choice done deal in Montreal as is Wade Redden in NY.

Who would want to trade for Luongo if the cap does indeed stay at $60M ? Buyout ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: NHL will allow teams two contract buyouts in 2013-14; who gets them ?

There's no one on the Bruins that needs it - Savard can stay on LTIR and Thomas will be off the books at the end of the year if PC doesn't change his mind and suspend him. (Though depending how tight they are to the cap they could use it on Thornton and slide Bourque into his spot)

For other teams, Gomez is a candidate for sure.  If I were the Caps, I'd consider Green.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

I'd be curious to go around the league and take 2 guesses per team. Any other insiders have an idea?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Pronger (Flyers)

Redden (Rangers)

Ohlund (TB)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Never thought of Green, Ohlund nor Pronger.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

There's no one on the Bruins that needs it - Savard can stay on LTIR and Thomas will be off the books at the end of the year if PC doesn't change his mind and suspend him. (Though depending how tight they are to the cap they could use it on Thornton and slide Bourque into his spot)

For other teams, Gomez is a candidate for sure.  If I were the Caps, I'd consider Green.

[/QUOTE]

Ah for $$ relief so PC can make a trade or acquire another contract..... TT is a goner on a simple buy out... depending on the wording of the word "buyout" of the language in the CBA.  BTW a pension or Cap debate is not enough to get it on with a new CBA.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Green just signed and the caps want him.   Pronger is ltir.  

There are some crazy contracts out there.  the bruins don't really have any ugly deals although I may disagree with the length of charas.   I'd probably go Kelly and Thornton.  

Gonchar is one guy.  Diepetro.  Possibly GaboriK. It will make for some nice hot stove talk.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Why does everyone mention TT as a buyout?

He has trade value.  PC said he wouldn't suspend him until he actually doesn't show up because as of yet he hasn't broken any rules.

And talking of buyouts, I would think the Habs would buy out Gomez as the earliest possible second.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Green just signed and the caps want him.   Pronger is ltir.  

There are some crazy contracts out there.  the bruins don't really have any ugly deals although I may disagree with the length of charas.   I'd probably go Kelly and Thornton.  

Gonchar is one guy.  Diepetro.  Possibly GaboriK. It will make for some nice hot stove talk.   

[/QUOTE]

Nice list.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattymcgee55. Show mattymcgee55's posts

Komisare & Heatley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Green just signed and the caps want him.   Pronger is ltir.  Gonchar is one guy.  Diepetro.  Possibly GaboriK. It will make for some nice hot stove talk.  

Gonchar was great in Ottawa's playoff battle with New York, not a long enough contract to be bought out. If Slats buys out Redden then I see him keeping Gaborik.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd be curious to go around the league and take 2 guesses per team. Any other insiders have an idea?

[/QUOTE]

Might be fun

Anaheim - Souray?

Buffalo - Ehrhoff, Leino

Calgary - Giordano, Cammaleiri

Carolina - Ruutu

Chicago - Can't see anyone

Colorado - Statsny?, Jones?

Columbus - Doesn't need it.

Dallas - Fiddler?

Detroit - Helm, Abdelkader

Edmonton - Horcoff

Florida - Upshall, Campbell (not a bad player, but 7.1 million for four more years?)

LA - Tough to pick anyone on the reigning cup winners

Minn - Koivu, Heatley (paid 14.25 million for those two last year for a total of 97 points)

Montreal - Gomez, Kaberle

Nashville - No one seems obvious

New Jersey - Volchenkov

NYI - DiPietro

NYR - Redden

Ottawa - Not sure

Philly - Bryzgalov, Pronger (only if it gives them an adavantage over putting him on LTIR)

Phoenix - Will be lucky to reach the floor even without buyouts

Pitts - Crosby (just for the humour of it)

SJ - no idea

St. Louis - Will barely make the floor next season

Tampa Bay - Lecavlier

Toronto - Komisarek, and a sane GM would use this as an opportuinty to take a mulligan on that idiotic contract to Grabovski.

Vancouver - If you can't trade him, Lou. If his play continues to tank, Kesler.

Washington - May sound crazy, but Ovechkin. He's regressed and it doesn't make sense paying 10 mill a year for the next 9 years for a 65 point player.

Winnipeg - No bad contracts yet, but have oodles of players to sign at the end of the season, so I think it's wait and see what happens on the ice this season (if there is one).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Buy out Chara and re-sign him so he only makes 5 a year haha...

Seriously though, gotta hand it to PC that we can not think of one guy the Bruins could use this clause on...

I don't think a lot of people will put those two together when thinking about this, but PC has been phenomenal overall...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

When thinking of buying players out, remeber that if you buy a guy out, you have to replace him.  Lots of first and second line players on these lists.  Replacing them isn't easy.

Let's use Brian Campbell.  Yeah, his contract is high, but where is Florida supposed to get a defenseman who plays 26+ minutes and has 50+ points to replace him?

Let's say he's $1.5M overpaid.  Replacing him would be impossible.

It's the old adage of "if not, then who?" followed by "better to deal with the devil you know".

Gomez and Dipietro should get the pink slip, but not many other big names.  More like Rich Peverely type players.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

If a team is tight to or over the eventual cap, then obviously buying out their most overpaid, under productive player is more important than a team with room. A team with room might be more inclined to keep the player in the hopes he improves, or can be traded. Gomez, Dipietro, Horcoff, Komisarek do not fall into the scenario's mentioned, as they are horrible in relation to the money they make. I could see Komisarek staying with the Leafs as Burke is loathe to admit he made a mistake. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Also remember that those buyouts are for 2013-14 only, when the salary cap goes down to $60 million (that's what the league wants).

While the Bruins should beable to get down to a $60 million cap hit, there will have to be more players with entry level contracts.

For the 2013-14 season, the Bruins commitments are (in $ millions):

6.0    Lucic
    5.25  Krejci
    5.75  Seguin
    4.5    Marchand
    5.0    Bergeron
    3.25  Peverly
    3.0    Kelly
    1.6    Campbell
    1.3    Paille

6.9    Chara
    3.4    Boychuk
    3.25  Seidenberg
    1.5    McQuaid

That's $50.7 million with Rask still have to being signed for $3.5 million (you do need a goalie).

Assuming Savard's contract is on LTIR and Rask is signed for $3.5 million, the Bruins will only have $5.8 million to sign 6 players (1 goalie backup, 2 defensemen, 3 forwards), assuming the Bruins go with 2 goalies, 6 defensemen, and 12 forwards.

*** EDIT NOTE (not that it matters):

I see I missed Thornton. He's also on the Bruins 2013-14 salary cap list at $1.1 million. Thus the Bruins will have approx $4.7 million to spend on 5 players (1 g, 2 d, 2f), if same assumptions as above.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/BOS?year=2013

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://capgeek.com/bruins/          

One defensman if you are penciling in Hamilton, Ference at $2.5M maybe more. Khudobin at $975K. If PC wants to keep Horton then Peverly and Thornton or Campbell, maybe all three, would have to go. It would be darn close if the mediators can't convince the NHL to meet half way at $65M for the cap.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why does everyone mention TT as a buyout?

He has trade value.  PC said he wouldn't suspend him until he actually doesn't show up because as of yet he hasn't broken any rules.

And talking of buyouts, I would think the Habs would buy out Gomez as the earliest possible second.

[/QUOTE]

Obviously you cannot read my posts to the contrary so here is an article of which I base my opinion.  Good luck with your ego tripping!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/49019-Tim-Thomas-NHL-future.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good comments, and perspectives. Peter has done a better job than most and remained fair. Perhaps $60 M is too tight, but could lead to longer stays at the AHL level and/or some suprising trades.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I wonder....  Do you think they'll close the obvious loophole or not?  Manny put it out there as a joke, but if I'm PC, I have a quiet conversation with Chara and maybe Lucic. 

"Gentlemen, here's what we're thinking we need to ask of you to help the team win.  We're going to buy you out, but not if it means we lose you.  Z, we owe you $32M from 2013-14 on, so your buyout would be about $21M paid over 10 years, so $2.1M/ year.  What we'd like to do is turn around and sign you to a 5 year, $22.5M deal.  You'd get a little less year to year for the remaining years on your existing deal - $6.6M on average instead of $6.9M - but you'd collect a total of $43.5M instead of $32M if we're including the 5 years of just buyout cash.  This shaves about $2.5M off of our cap hit.  What do you think?"

Play with the numbers however you want, but it sure looks like a smart GM would buy out his stars on long contracts, re-sign them in the next breath to cap compliant deals, and get the players on board by showing them how much more cash this puts in their pockets.

"Spirit of the Cap" will go out the window faster than you can say "back-diving".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I am sure they've thought of that and will have some provision against instantly re-signinng players.  They do it in football, but there is no guaranteed money owed, so it's a take this or take nothing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Assuming they do  prevent teams from re-signing guys they buy out (though to be honest, my scenario above me be considered perfectly acceptable by both sides), I still think there are some deals out there that teams should consider shedding despite the profile of the player.  Ovechkin's is top of the list - you can't pay a guy 1/6th of the cap if he plays 35 goal, 65 point hockey, even if he is physical.  Washington is paper thin, and Hunter turning them into a tight-checking, grinding team may have been the only way for them to get very far.  Losing Ovechkin would hurt, but in Kuznetsov, Forsberg and Galiev, Washington has some seasoned prospects at or near the top of the list of players outside the NHL.  Bring them in, start the youth movement, and they might do just as well.  Same for Lecavalier, Bouwmeester, and a few others.  You just can't pay them those dollars in the new system.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=413185

" Out of sight, out of mind, off the salary cap.

But there's a provision in the new CBA that doesn't allow the hiding of NHL contracts in the minors, save the first $900,000. So Redden, with a cap hit of $6.5 million in each of this season and next, means the Rangers are now faced with using valuable cap space on a player who is not remotely part of coach John Tortorella's plans. "

Well Slats what door will it be ?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When thinking of buying players out, remeber that if you buy a guy out, you have to replace him.  Lots of first and second line players on these lists.  Replacing them isn't easy.

Let's use Brian Campbell.  Yeah, his contract is high, but where is Florida supposed to get a defenseman who plays 26+ minutes and has 50+ points to replace him?

Let's say he's $1.5M overpaid.  Replacing him would be impossible.

It's the old adage of "if not, then who?" followed by "better to deal with the devil you know".

Gomez and Dipietro should get the pink slip, but not many other big names.  More like Rich Peverely type players.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, moe like 3rd and 4th line players if any to make room to pay the 1st and second line players.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

"If a compliance buyout is used this week, a team will have only one left to use next summer. According to TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie, in order for a player to be bought out this week, he still must clear waivers first. He says to assume that Redden and Gomez will be put on waivers on Wednesday.

Team will take the full cap hit on such players this season, less the $900,000 for not burying the player in the minors, but suffer no cap hit next season or beyond. Teams would pay out 100 per cent of a player's actual salary this year and two-thirds or one-third (as applicable) over twice the remaining term of the contract and the player is free to sign elsewhere.

However, there's no actual benefit to the teams to take this plan of action other than as a favour to the player to perhaps allow them to sign with another team right away. "

Can Chiarelli buyout a "Buyout" ? Can we finally be rid of Patrick Eaves ? LOL

Sections
Shortcuts