NHL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

NHL

The NHL took a long time to recover from the last time they had these extensively long lockout problems, and it may take another long time to recover again.

AND, it may come a time that they NEVER make a recovery!   How many times are they going to try this lockout stuff before they get burned permanantly?

Let's get the problem solved right now and get some hockey players on the ice.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: NHL

Recovery last time was extremely fast and it came back a heck of a lot stronger than when the lockout began.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

fwiw a lot more this time than last time I have heard a lot of real hockey fans say they're not coming back.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

BadHab, I don't believe them. I think they will.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

fwiw a lot more this time than last time I have heard a lot of real hockey fans say they're not coming back.  

[/QUOTE]

I hear this a lot on TSN too, the poll said something like 45% (though most TSN polls are BS). They're mostly Leafs fans though, so they probably say they aren't coming back every year. I expect most to be back - they're just saying things out of frustration imo. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Fans came back last time, will they come back again?

I wouldn't be so quick to say this time will be just like last time.  If past performance always predicted the future accurately I would be rich.

At any rate, several guys from my pickup hockey group said they were ticked off and were going to do less NHL business.  Are recreational players "fans"?  I don't know, but they've commited a chunk of their adult life to hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The idea that fans aren't coming back is so ridiculous.

How about this:  Over all of the work stoppages in all sports, has there ever been a time when the fans didn't return?

We're hockey fans, and the NHL is the best brand by far.  What are the other options?  Become an NBA fan.  Yeah right.  Only watch the AHL.  Well, that's possible, but there is no way you wouldn't be checking in on the NHL...all the time.  Stop watching sports.  Yeah right.

This isn't fast food.  It's not "I hate McDonald's because of XYZ, therefore I'm only going ot Burger King and Wendy's from now on."  That is sustainable based upon principle alone. Boycott the NHL without any other options to satisfy the love and desire?  It's not going to happen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

True, it's really the only game in town.  It is interesting that so many people seem to be so much more disgruntled this time.

I also think it would be interesting if espn2 were to get through the roof ratings on the Chara Ovechkin khl game tongiht.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In baseball they didn't come back until the utter farce of the McGuire-Sosa home run race.

Once again, I think the real hockey fans will come back.  The risk is with the trendy hockey fans who don't have a deep appreciation for the sport or connection to the team.  In some markets (Boston, Toronto, New York) that doesn't matter because there are plenty of fans to replace them and buy tickets.  In other markets (Columbus, Nashville, Colorado) it does matter because they are not fans to replace anyone.  So different teams are taking on different risks.  Some will come out of this ahead, if the CBA improves for owners.  Others will come out behind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

IMO. I think maybe there will some fans who'll hold out from the lockout, but as soon as something extraordinary happens. And the fans who are back start talking about it around those who haven't seen it will get the juices flowing again. I think you may see a small percentage not come back, but that percentage will be replaced by seasons end. Whenever, that maybe. 

I'm going to say that I think there's a great positive this time with Gary & Donald in one room talking about the core issues & Steve & Bill handling the smaller ones. I don't believe there won't be any talk about the "core" issue's if they're having two different sets of meetings like this. The NHL will have a new proposal for the players to look at.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In baseball they didn't come back until the utter farce of the McGuire-Sosa home run race.

Once again, I think the real hockey fans will come back.  The risk is with the trendy hockey fans who don't have a deep appreciation for the sport or connection to the team.  In some markets (Boston, Toronto, New York) that doesn't matter because there are plenty of fans to replace them and buy tickets.  In other markets (Columbus, Nashville, Colorado) it does matter because they are not fans to replace anyone.  So different teams are taking on different risks.  Some will come out of this ahead, if the CBA improves for owners.  Others will come out behind.

[/QUOTE]

A+ on those thoughts!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

it has nothing to do with "fans coming back".  it's all about the "money coming back".  obviously, a rabid hockey fan is not going to ignore the best hockey league in the world.  Those fans though, may not spend quite as much, and that will negate the logic of this whole process.  there seems to be about 33% more money being delivered to NHL coffers than there was 7 years ago.    This massive spike in revenue, is unprecedented in league history, and it all hasn't come from the "committed fan".  I would suggest only a small part has, and the remaining balance is extremely volatile.  

even without work stoppages, sport, like other business, finds it really tough to maintain record revenue let alone grow it.  there is ample logic to suggest that upwards of 1/3 of the leagues current business is "fair weather", and that's always iffy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

A colleage at work is a huge sports fan, all sports.  We got into the elevator with some guys doing construction when they noticed his bruins lunch box, they said they were fed up and weren't going to see hockey any more.

Yes, they will be back, but it is striking to me at how many people are saying they won't.

I think it may have a short term negative effect when the NHL comes back, the initial response may not be good.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

I for one can't wait to come back, however I hope the NHL does pay a steep price with the casual fan for there arrogance and petulance.  This may also make going to see the home team alot cheaper for the true Hockey fans, and that would certainly be nice.  Right now I am pissed and most of my anger is gerared toward the NHL and not as much at the NHLPA.  Look forward to talking to you all some more when there is more to discuss.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The ones who say they are so angry that they won't be back, will be the first ones in line when they do. They are angry because they care. It's the fans who aren't angry that may not come back right away, but they will.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I can't predict the future and I will admit that fans coming back is the best bet.

But it is very striking to me that so many people I'm encountering in my day to day life are saying they won't come back to hockey.

100% honesty and just observation with no spin.

I can tell you this much for sure.  After the cup win I wore a Bruins button every day to work.  I think I recall 1 person commenting.

I've only been in public with my Bruins jacket once and it got an "I'm not coming back" comment, my pickup hockey guys are negative as well as the random guys I bumped into in the elevator earlier today as I mentioned in my previous post.

Again, being just as neutral as I can be, it might be just that I'm more sensitive to the comments, or that for some random reason there are more negative people around me, but I'm just saying what I've heard & observed.

And I'm curious as to what others are hearing and observing, is it just me?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

[QUOTE]

I can't predict the future and I will admit that fans coming back is the best bet.

But it is very striking to me that so many people I'm encountering in my day to day life are saying they won't come back to hockey.

I can tell you this much for sure.  After the cup win I wore a Bruins button every day to work.  I think I recall 1 person commenting.

I've only been in public with my Bruins jacket once and it got an "I'm not coming back" comment, my pickup hockey guys are negative as well as the random guys I bumped into in the elevator earlier today as I mentioned in my previous post.

Again, being just as neutral as I can be, it might be just that I'm more sensitive to the comments, or that for some random reason there are more negative people around me, but I'm just saying what I've heard & observed.

[/QUOTE]

Winnipeg Jets won,t miss a beat with their fans.I think we,d sell out even with

replacement players.Nobody wants to lose thier season tickets

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Win-Jets' comment:

[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep bringing up the NHL using replacement players? If the fans want to watch that caliber of hockey they can watch the AHL already.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Win-Jets. Show Win-Jets's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Win-Jets' comment:

[/QUOTE]

Why do you keep bringing up the NHL using replacement players? If the fans want to watch that caliber of hockey they can watch the AHL already.

[/QUOTE]

We don,t have a AHL team.Used to have one, We didn,t do to bad

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

without question fans in Canada will flock back once all's resolved....

not sure the same can be said for those in the 23 US cities....  and the nhl needs to keep each and everyone of them....

forget about attracting new ones though....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Replacement players ?

All players in the AHL and European leagues have signed contracts. Who's left to sign as replacement players ? Players from your local professional senior league team ?

Better question is who would pay the money to go watch replacements play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]
    Better question is who would pay the money to go watch replacements play.

[/QUOTE]

If they're going to be playing stuff off "Sorry, Ma" and "Pleased to Meet Me", I'm in!   If it's "All Shook Down" from beginning to end, I'm out.

Watch Replacements play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBh5ZtATqOY&feature=relmfu

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I have said in a few threads, I can't speak for Boston or the other cities, but the feelings towards the NHL are remarkedly negative in Denver.  Maybe they're all letting off steam and will come running back, but many people swear they won't.  The Avs are in a bad spot.  They've already been sending away fans in droves for 5-6 years.  A lot of sports fans here still have no idea who Landeskog is, and they won't find out this year.

A prolonged hockey strike combined with Peyton Manning playing a half mile away = indifference twoards the NHL from would-be fans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Fletcher, give it a rest.  The Avs are not folding.

Look at all of the foolishness in Phoenix, and they are still playing.

If they lost 20% of their season ticket holders, that would be about $130K a year.

Do you honestly think the franchise goes belly up over the salary of two average AHLers?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Fletcher, give it a rest.  The Avs are not folding.

Look at all of the foolishness in Phoenix, and they are still playing.

If they lost 20% of their season ticket holders, that would be about $130K a year.

Do you honestly think the franchise goes belly up over the salary of two average AHLers?

[/QUOTE]

Sorry Nas but your math seems way off. The Avs average season ticket costs 3800$. 20% of their season ticket holders can't really be only 35 people right?

Sections
Shortcuts