NHL.com's mock season.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

NHL.com's mock season.

As what should be thought of as little more than a promotion of NHL '12, they are filling the summer doldrums with a fully mocked season.  All players thrown on the draft board, drafted (with cap compliance required) and eventually to be run through a simulation.

These are the teams:

Some comments:
    • Both Bergeron and Krejčí ended up as first-line centers.
    • Hamill made the NHL.
    • More than anything I've seen, these teams highlight what kind of depth the NHL has, talent-wise.  Which is to say, depressingly little (well, when divided by 30 at least).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonicator. Show Olsonicator's posts

Re: NHL.com's mock season.

Krejci Ovechkin and Hossa, DAMN that line would be a beast

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Seguin to Toronto, Chara to the Nucks.  The GM's had a sense of humor. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I was just thinking we hadn't heard from DrCC in a while.

I had the same reaction.  When you redistribute the talent like this, it gets thiiiiin.  But then, this is pretty much what we're reminded of whenever we look at what free agents get paid - player X isn't worth $3.5M!  (Look up stats, role, history...)  I take it back.  $3.5M is average rate for that kind of player.

See: Ference deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

In Response to NHL.com's mock season.:
    [QUOTE]As what should be thought of as little more than a promotion of NHL '12, they are filling the summer doldrums with a fully mocked season.  All players thrown on the draft board, drafted (with cap compliance required) and eventually to be run through a simulation. These are the teams: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=585617 Some comments: Both Bergeron and Krejčí ended up as first-line centers. Hamill made the NHL. More than anything I've seen, these teams highlight what kind of depth the NHL has, talent-wise.  Which is to say, depressingly little (well, when divided by 30 at least).
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

The talent  very deep in the NHL, there are more people playing than ever and they are coming from many countries.  Its not like our USA football or Basketball where players are only from our neighborhoods.  NHL is a much bigger game and has an area to draft from that dwarfs our sports.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

Fowler and Keith quarterbacking the power play...WOW. Other than that, not much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eric66. Show Eric66's posts

LOL noone picked kaberle

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: NHL.com's mock season.:
    [QUOTE]LOL noone picked kaberle
    Posted by Eric66[/QUOTE]

6th round to Detroit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to NHL.com's mock season. : The talent  very deep in the NHL, there are more people playing than ever and they are coming from many countries.  Its not like our USA football or Basketball where players are only from our neighborhoods.  NHL is a much bigger game and has an area to draft from that dwarfs our sports.
    Posted by bluefox70[/QUOTE]

A lot of people playing and a lot of top end talent aren't the same thing.  Look at those teams and tell me how many of them look like they could compete for the cup with the Bruins, the Wings, the Sharks, the Caps (that's just for kel...).

By population, I wonder if it's anything close to true that the NHL has a bigger amateur population feeding it.  The NBA draws talent from as many foreign leagues and countries if not more, and the US and Canadian populations playing football are huge.  Many of the top hockey nations have relatively small total populations - Russia and the US are the exceptions.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangr76. Show dangr76's posts

[QUOTE]Seguin to Toronto, Chara to the Nucks.  The GM's had a sense of humor. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

Chara to the Habs would have been even funnier.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Just for kicks.  If you could've protected any bruin from being drafted who would it be?

I'll go with... 

For next year - Thomas

For the future - Seguin

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Just for kicks.  If you could've protected any bruin from being drafted who would it be? I'll go with...  For next year - Thomas For the future - Seguin
    Posted by derrickmorin[/QUOTE]

Chara.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucicfan. Show lucicfan's posts

[QUOTE]Krejci Ovechkin and Hossa, DAMN that line would be a beast
    Posted by Olsonicator[/QUOTE]

I like that Columbus first line too.

Nash  Toews  Horton 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: NHL.com's mock season. : A lot of people playing and a lot of top end talent aren't the same thing.  Look at those teams and tell me how many of them look like they could compete for the cup with the Bruins, the Wings, the Sharks, the Caps (that's just for kel...). By population, I wonder if it's anything close to true that the NHL has a bigger amateur population feeding it.  The NBA draws talent from as many foreign leagues and countries if not more, and the US and Canadian populations playing football are huge.  Many of the top hockey nations have relatively small total populations - Russia and the US are the exceptions.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    I was thinking the exact same thing Book. NBA has players from China, Italy, and various African nations, etc. I think B-ball seems to be very close to hockey regarding it's international personnel.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]I was just thinking we hadn't heard from DrCC in a while. I had the same reaction.  When you redistribute the talent like this, it gets thiiiiin .  But then, this is pretty much what we're reminded of whenever we look at what free agents get paid - player X isn't worth $3.5M!  (Look up stats, role, history...)  I take it back.  $3.5M is average rate for that kind of player. See: Ference deal.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]
    Summers tend to be busy for me - my boss isn't distracted by having to teach.  That, and there's been very little going on in the NHL.

I'm very curious to see how this simulation goes.  Okay, so it's being run by the same people that predicted that the Hurricanes would win the Presidents' Trophy two years ago so I probably shouldn't hope for any deep interpretations, but these are some questions that might have partial answers suggested:
    • Does the "snake draft" format really balance things out for teams?
    • How key is having an upper-tier goalie?
    • Which succeeds better, top-end talent or depth?

Sections
Shortcuts