nhlnumbers.com power rankings based on advanced statistics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

nhlnumbers.com power rankings based on advanced statistics

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/2/23/nhl-power-rankings-predictions

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: nhlnumbers.com power rankings based on advanced statistics

I'd like to know what metrics they use - the team with the second best record in the league is in 12th? The Ducks have a game in hand and are 6 pts ahead of the Sharks, they'd have to fall apart significantly to not get the second or third seed in the west.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I'd love to see the back end of that model...(cue jokes).

Not even close - Bruins top out 1.5 points better than the next best team?  I suspect there are a few flaws in the reasoning - like the outrageous PK performance they've put up this year is weighted too highly.  Apparently having an awful home PP isn't hurting them.  Interesting.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

I'd love to see the back end of that model...(cue jokes).

Not even close - Bruins top out 1.5 points better than the next best team?  I suspect there are a few flaws in the reasoning - like the outrageous PK performance they've put up this year is weighted too highly.  Apparently having an awful home PP isn't hurting them.  Interesting.

could be they do overall special teams as opposed to breaking it down.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Advanced statistics are advanced stupidity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Agreed, they are for lazy coaches.  

Only applicable use of advanced stats is to prove what has been observed. We all know the importance of Chara on the Bs team.  These stats prove it.  MOC/PC did not need metrics to sign Chara to a UFA contract way back.  

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2013/01/24/player-toi-usage-charts-with-performance-metrics/

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

Advanced statistics are advanced stupidity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Here's a little more proof for that, Isla.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=30&f1=2012_s&f2=5v5&f4=D&f5=BOS&f7=5-&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Accoring to these stats, Boychuk and Chara are almost equals...with the nod going to Boychuk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Numbers always indicate what their creator wants. Objectivity comes from results. Just perused the Providence roster where Tardiff is second in scoring. Why is he still in the AHL when neither Bourque or Thornton are producing anything other than sweat. ?

Sections
Shortcuts