Nic Bacstrom fails doping test

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Nic Bacstrom fails doping test

Hmmm.  Wonder thats what his migrane was.   I thought it was funny to miss with a migrane.  

Anyone know what the nhl might be able to do with this.   I guess depending what it is.   Could be cold meds.   Very strict rules. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Nic Bacstrom fails doping test

In response to shuperman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hmmm.  Wonder thats what his migrane was.   I thought it was funny to miss with a migrane.  

Anyone know what the nhl might be able to do with this.   I guess depending what it is.   Could be cold meds.   Very strict rules. 

[/QUOTE]

Supposedly allergy meds, that he has taken for several years. I'll take his word on it, but i also remember the Caps being involved with a team doctor who was a little shady a few years back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

‘‘It was a shocking message to get,’’ goalie Jhonas Enroth told the Swedish news agency TT after the final. ‘‘We found out two hours before the match.’’

Swedish Olympic Committee spokesman Bjorn Folin said the banned substance was in an allergy medication that Backstrom has taken for the past seven years.

Backstrom is the sixth athlete to fail a doping test at the games. Five of the six, including Backstrom, tested positive for minor stimulants that are often found in food supplements."

Very contagious I see. I wonder if the NHL can fine him or suspend him. If Bettman can take cold and allergy medicine, everyone should be able too.

Man Tuukka should have just tried this PED for sure!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Just heard about this... very lame.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Must have been because of that "splinter".  Only watched that ad about 10,000 times.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

IOC bans everything but whole wheat bread and water.  Even if they have a cold, an Olympic athlete can't take Sudafed.

Anyone here play at a high level and didn't take Sudafed (or an eqivalent) before or during a game?  I don't think I played a third period with a runny nose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

IOC bans everything but whole wheat bread and water.  Even if they have a cold, an Olympic athlete can't take Sudafed.

Anyone here play at a high level and didn't take Sudafed (or an eqivalent) before or during a game?  I don't think I played a third period with a runny nose.

[/QUOTE]

Well i know at the CIS level we couldnt take anything.   Common cold meds were on the list.  It wouldnt be hard to fail.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right on with the "bans" comment. "Doping Test" is a major misnomer. Played most all major sports thru high school and 1 year of college football back in the early 70's. The amount of Decadron LA, Papase, Butazolidin Alka (not to mention the Biphetamine T-20's to stay awake to study) floatng around in our systems was routine. That and a couple hundred yards of adhesive tape was all we had. What a shock when my daughter played 4 years of D2 college soccer. As a clinical pharmacist -- I was baffled when her coach showed me the list of banned substances. The spectrum of meds that they place in each catagory is insane. Going down the poppy seed bagel and pastry road is a whole other issue. The fact that Antacids like Maalox and Tums, Antibiotics and Diabetic meds are part of the U.S. Anti-doping Agency list boggles the mind.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Subject to confirmation of the facts as we understand them, and given the fact that the substance is neither prohibited in the NHL nor was used in an improper manner here, we do not anticipate there being any consequences relative to Nicklas' eligibility to participate in games for the Washington Capitals."

The Capitals also released a statement Sunday: "Nicklas Backstrom did not participate in Team Sweden's Olympic gold-medal game on Sunday due to the allergy medication he has been taking intermittently for seven years, including this season while playing for the Washington Capitals, to combat severe allergies. The medicine was approved by the Swedish national team. It is not anticipated that this will impact his participation in NHL games."

"Pseudoephedrine is allowed by by the IOC as long as levels do not exceed 150 micrograms per milliliter and is not tested outside of competition. Backstrom’s level was 190, according to Aubry"

I'd be upset as well he was barely over. Especially since it is known he has been taking it for years.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Subject to confirmation of the facts as we understand them, and given the fact that the substance is neither prohibited in the NHL nor was used in an improper manner here, we do not anticipate there being any consequences relative to Nicklas' eligibility to participate in games for the Washington Capitals."

The Capitals also released a statement Sunday: "Nicklas Backstrom did not participate in Team Sweden's Olympic gold-medal game on Sunday due to the allergy medication he has been taking intermittently for seven years, including this season while playing for the Washington Capitals, to combat severe allergies. The medicine was approved by the Swedish national team. It is not anticipated that this will impact his participation in NHL games."

"Pseudoephedrine is allowed by by the IOC as long as levels do not exceed 150 micrograms per milliliter and is not tested outside of competition. Backstrom’s level was 190, according to Aubry"

I'd be upset as well he was barely over. Especially since it is known he has been taking it for years.

[/QUOTE]

Not to mention -- assay levels in mcg/ml is a blood concentration measurement which can produce false positive results dependent on how well or little the body is hydrated at the time. In addition -- most lab tests are just not that acurate and are routinely off by 10% or more. Lastly -- PSE elimination varies from person to person depending on inherent metabolism. Total joke from the get go.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I heard this morning it was Zrytec-D.  Prescribed by his doctor.  Haha.  Wow?!  

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

BDC feed issue on this post.