NJ v. Philly-Series Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread

WOW!! What a horrible penalty call on Zubrus.

I agree with Pierre McGuire for once.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Kovalchuk killing penalties. He is way better than Ovechkin.

NJ kills it off. Look for a makeup call in the near future.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

2 PP's in one ot, unreal.  Everyone killing ilya last year was unjust, guy is so good, and actually looks like he wants it this yr.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Yep, he is almost worth his contract. NJ just dodged another bullet there. Philly must be getting frustrated.

LA up 1-0 over STL.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Well, that's it. Ponikarovsky (sp?) gets one. Flyers had their chances but couldn't do it.

3 points for Kovalchuk.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread:
    Well, that's it. Ponikarovsky (sp?) gets one. Flyers had their chances but couldn't do it. 3 points for Kovalchuk.
    Posted by jmwalters

Yup the ex-Leaf

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

And ex Thrasher, Pen, Pred, am I missing anyone? This guy has been living out of his suitcase the past few years.....heh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The Flyers goaltending is letting them down in the playoffs. In other news, the Earth isn't flat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Shades of JVB on that one.  I still love that.  Hm...Curtis Joseph or JVB...well, JVB is about $1m cheaper, so we'll go with him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The Flyers goaltending is letting them down in the playoffs. In other news, the Earth isn't flat.
    Posted by dezaruchi

You mean Garth Snow, Brian Boucher, Roman Chemanek, Robert Esche, John VanBiesbrouck, Ray Emery, Michael Leighton, or Bob just didn't cut it? Am I missing anyone?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : You mean Garth Snow, Brian Boucher, Roman Chemanek, Robert Esche, John VanBiesbrouck, Ray Emery, Michael Leighton, or Bob just didn't cut it? Am I missing anyone?
    Posted by jmwalters

How many did they go through just in last year's playoffs?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

That fool Simmonds is lucky to still be in this game.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : How many did they go through just in last year's playoffs?
    Posted by dezaruchi

Several thousand?

To be fair, finding a capable and consistent #1 goalie is difficult, especially in the cap era where everything has to be measured in terms of affordability. You are right. I  was not convinced Bryz was the answer when Holmgren signed him(he was the beneficiary of the D strategy of Dave Tippett as Smith is now) and he is certainly showing it in this post-season. Consistency is they key and few #1's have it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : Several thousand? To be fair, finding a capable and consistent #1 goalie is difficult, especially in the cap era where everything has to be measured in terms of affordability. You are right. I  was not convinced Bryz was the answer when Holmgren signed him(he was the beneficiary of the D strategy of Dave Tippett as Smith is now) and he is certainly showing it in this post-season. Consistency is they key and few #1's have it.
    Posted by jmwalters

I think the consistency comes with the ability to handle pressure. Bryz butchered that play on Clarkson's goal. He could've put that puck just about anywhere but where he did and had it work out for him. Instead, he overthought the play and created the absolute worst result for himself. He's been fighting the puck all night. He's looking a lot like Halak did a few years back when he was visibly shaking in the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : I think the consistency comes with the ability to handle pressure. Bryz butchered that play on Clarkson's goal. He could've put that puck just about anywhere but where he did and had it work out for him. Instead, he overthought the play and created the absolute worst result for himself. He's been fighting the puck all night. He's looking a lot like Halak did a few years back when he was visibly shaking in the net.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Interesting you mention that. I think that has been the issue for Bryz since I have been paying attention to him in these playoffs. He tends to make bad decisions that appears to be due to the panic factor which effects his consistency. It makes me admire the likes of Brodeur (and Hasek too in his prime) even more who can calmly make quality decisions with the puck that help him and his team out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : Interesting you mention that. I think that has been the issue for Bryz since I have been paying attention to him in these playoffs. He tends to make bad decisions that appears to be due to the panic factor which effects his consistency. It makes me admire the likes of Brodeur (and Hasek too in his prime) even more who can calmly make quality decisions with the puck that help him and his team out.
    Posted by jmwalters

I was watching Brodeur and thinking that if TT could handle the puck half as well as him he'd be a sure-fire Hall of Famer. We saw just a touch of the difference it made when Turco was back there. Not only does it help the breakout, it causes the other team to restructure their attack as a result.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : I was watching Brodeur and thinking that if TT could handle the puck half as well as him he'd be a sure-fire Hall of Famer. We saw just a touch of the difference it made when Turco was back there. Not only does it help the breakout, it causes the other team to restructure their attack as a result.
    Posted by dezaruchi

Exactly!! I remember when Turco was still in his prime with Dallas, I hated his arrogance but grudgingly admired his ability with the puck which helped out his D so much during that era. He brought that a bit when he suited up with the B's (the puck handling I mean, not the arrogance) but he was obviously past his expiration date overall. It helps the D out enormously when they have faith that their goalie will not bungle a dump in for sure. Bryzgalov is an adventure every time. You can almost feel the panic in his demanour through the monitor/tv. It can often create chaos, the exact thing that gives the D nightmares.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In the battle of which crappy goalie has the worst contract,is it Leaky Lu or  Breezeby Bryz ?I don't know which one will be harder to get rid of.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Game 5 -- Start of 3rd -- Devils up 2-1. So far -- Devils keeping their cool as that great hockey talent -- Rinaldo is out there taking out knees with his patented cheap shots. What is Laviolette thinking about? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Did Sean Burke work with Bryzgalov last year in Phoenix? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Philly getting frustrated and now playing dirty.
    Briere for no apparent reason while going off the ice spears Carter right in the gut.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Are we all surprised that Philly goes dirty when things do not go their way? They should consider themselves lucky Boulten and Janssen are not dressing for Jersey. No way they would pull that crap with those two around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Are we all surprised that Philly goes dirty when things do not go their way? They should consider themselves lucky Boulten and Janssen are not dressing for Jersey. No way they would pull that crap with those two around.
    Posted by jmwalters

jm - Clearly NJ doesn't need them to win.  The quiet of the Wells Fargo Center right now reminds me of most nights down at the ACC.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Watch Marty try for the empty net if he has a chance....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: NJ v. Philly-Series Thread : jm - Clearly NJ doesn't need them to win.  The quiet of the Wells Fargo Center right now reminds me of most nights down at the ACC.
    Posted by RichHillOntario

Very true RHO. Its just that is would be sad to see someone on the NJ roster get injured by a Rinaldo or another because they think there are no consequences. That's all.

Sections
Shortcuts