No 2011 Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Re: No 2011 Cup

do we mob him now or after the B's win the cup?
    hehehehehehehe.

They will be in tough against Philly, and certainly in tough when they get to Detroit. But all is good. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=1b9bb6be0ad5248842796d02d38044ff&plckUserId=1b9bb6be0ad5248842796d02d38044ff">
    First: 1/2/2011
    Last: 2/28/2011
    Be careful Wally this is the land of sunshine and gum drops and if you don't declare the Bruins the bestest team in the whole wide world and say the Bruins are the Stanley Cup Champions to be, the kool-aid crowd will brand you an evil troll and you'll never be taken seriously by them ever ever again.! Retract your statements Wally where there is still time to fit in!!

RMILLER87--- You have to be negative towards the Bruins because the Habs are going Nowhere fast-- enjoy your first round exit--- if you make the playoffs.Wink

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

In Response to No 2011 Cup:
    [QUOTE]Sorry guys Im certain many dont agree but the Bs didnt improve enuf to get out of the east little known win the cup in 2011.The only addition they made that helped was addiing kaberle. I dont see peverly or kelly being an impact, hopefully I am wrong. It was my opinion the Bs could made a move to get Smid on the back end as the depth there is thin. Penner or hemsky would of made a huge difference up front by removing ryder. Last but not least rechhi needs to pick it up if bergerons line is gonna get back on track.
    Posted by wallydouglas[/QUOTE]

Read my lips ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup:
    [QUOTE]Bruins win the East but lose to Detroit in the finals :(
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE] I could live with that, another move in the right direction.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Be careful Wally this is the land of sunshine and gum drops and if you don't declare the Bruins the bestest team in the whole wide world and say the Bruins are the Stanley Cup Champions to be, the kool-aid crowd will brand you an evil troll and you'll never be taken seriously by them ever ever again.! Retract your statements Wally where there is still time to fit in!!
    Posted by 40YrsNoCup[/QUOTE]

NAS is correct...I should not read posters with less than 100 posts.  Do you ever read any other comments?  Probablities means the chances are greater not absolute.  Branding on here is self imposed.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

Always good for a reality check:

According to the people trying to make money off of predicting odds of a championship, the Bruins are one of the teams with a high chance.  Sure, it's only about a 10% chance (assuming I'm understanding that way of reporting odds) but even  the best given odds are only 20% (by some bookies Vancouver, others Philadelphia).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

40yrs is probably not RMiller87. Looks like he uses full sentences.
    Wally has always been a good poster, a lot of knowledgeable fans are actually discussing his post and I haven't read any "you idiot" posts...until 40's lame diatribe. It's easy to claim they won't win the Cup, Wally is telling us why he doesn't think so. Legit discussion. He doesn't just come here to act like a dadouchey and tell us how stupid we are and how we all look though black and gold glasses and that this team is never going anywhere.

FWIW I think the B's have a better shot than 25/26 or so other teams, that is cause for hope and optimism. I think Peverly and Kelly are great signings (can both skate well, take faceoffs, play in "the system", and PK) and will provide the depth that was lacking last year, it's addition merely by taking Mr. Softee out of the equation. They didn't get a true sniper or a real first pair D-Man, or have Savard, but I think they have a legit shot. Sure they may not win it all but I like this team as constructed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

Fans are debating (back and fourth) whether or not the bruins are good enough to win the cup, doesn't that suggest they're real close at worst.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

[QUOTE]I am going to predict that nobody will win the cup.  That way I will be right 29 out of 30 times and my prediction rate will be 96.6 %. I will take those odds...
    Posted by Rufus604[/QUOTE]

Yo, Rufus, *somebody* wins the Cup each year,so you would always be wrong and your prediction rate would be zero percent.

Personally, I think the Cup winner this year will come from the Eastern Conference or the Western Conference.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauly1. Show pauly1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : Yo, Rufus, *somebody* wins the Cup each year,so you would always be wrong and your prediction rate would be zero percent. Personally, I think the Cup winner this year will come from the Eastern Conference or the Western Conference.
    Posted by felixwas[/QUOTE] Actually Rufus would have a long, long, long shot at being right......in the 1918,1919 season no won that year, play was suspended do to a flu epidemic.
    And then there was the "lock out" year.

There's some good trivia questions for ya.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]And Washington's moves improved that team?  I thought Penner was invisible last night--- yeah that would have put the Bruins over the top!  By the way-- Ryder was very good last night. Come on--- injuries and lack of depth did the Bruins in last year or else they would have been playing in the finals vs Chicago--- This team @ this time is so much better then the Bruins team of last year.  They have a legit chance to make it through the eastern conference and make it to the cup.
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]
    I like this Bruins squad much better after the trades and I think they went from little or no chance of winning the Cup to at least having a reasonable chance if they get the goaltending and teams like Washington and Vancouver falter as usual.  I think Philly will be tough but they still don't have a great goalie so if they can stay reasonably healthy the Bruins have a shot.  I even like Ryder better now because I don't have to watch both him and Wheeler and at least Ryder can score.  I watched Wheeler the other night against the leafs and he was flying but as usual had no finish.  It was just as frustrating except the good news was he wasn't doing it for the Bruins.  Good job PC.  Go Bruins!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's really simple.  Are the Bruins good enough to win a Cup?  Yes.  Balanced scoring, commitment to defense, deep goaltending.  Are they better on paper than every other team?  No...but who cares?  As Dr. CC points out, better on paper means a 1 in 5 chance at best.  Otherwise, you're just better on paper.  They have a shot, and nobody's feelings at this point mean squat - and I'm pretty sure wally and TTBI know it.  That's why they'll still watch.  And hoist more than a few if their feelings turn out to have been in error.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Ok, Ok. Somebody will win the cup I guess but who, Im not going to try and predict that.  The east does have a great chance of winning it and hopefully it's is the Bruins.  No, on paper they probably dont have the best chance, but we all know that doesn't mean much come playoff time. I do think the bruins have a better team than last year and have a good shot of hoisting Lord Stanley.  I was at the game on Saturday in Vancouver and here are a few quotes I heard from Canuck fans.
    "Sure glad we only play them once a year."
    "See you guys in the finals!"
    and my favorite...even though it didnt look like the b's played that physical,
    "We wouldn't be able to go hit for hit for hit with them for a whole series."

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]It's really simple.  Are the Bruins good enough to win a Cup?  Yes.  Balanced scoring, commitment to defense, deep goaltending.  Are they better on paper than every other team?  No...but who cares?  As Dr. CC points out, better on paper means a 1 in 5 chance at best.  Otherwise, you're just better on paper.  They have a shot, and nobody's feelings at this point mean squat - and I'm pretty sure wally and TTBI know it.  That's why they'll still watch.  And hoist more than a few if their feelings turn out to have been in error.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

No question they have a shot at winning it all. If I thought their chances were 0%  I couldn't bear to watch.

For Fletch1 and Dez (and btw, dez--please...I don't mind your visceral reaction to yet another post of mine saying there are too many other teams in the east that are better than Boston, but i wish you'd give me at least a little credit and not accuse me of being a double poster...I only mentioned it b/c Wally posted something I agreed w/about 90%)....

my point is that if I had to lay $$$ down and were dis-passionate about the outcome, my money would still be on the teams w/the biggest offensive threats and the deepest level of talent....a lot of those teams happen to be loaded this year, and I think they reside in Philly, Tampa, Vancouver, Detroit, and maybe even San Jose.....

I guess everyone who jumps all over any post saying the B's won't win it all (NOT including Bookboy here, who always makes a good point w/out rancor even when he disagrees) isn't paying attention to the most important part, so I'll put it in caps:

I REALLY LIKE THEMOVES THIS TEAM HAS MADE....I BELIEVE IN MGT. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME, AND AM THRILLED THEY DIDN'T GET RID OF GUYS LIKE KREJCI AND THE TROONTO PICK EVEN THO' THERE MUST HAVE BEEN TEMPTING OFFERS TO DO SO.

That I don't think it's enough to go all the way doesn't make me a hater. I kind of wish people would see that and respect it for what it is. Simply put: I think the Bruins are a very good team that will not be able to get past what I feel are great ones...some of which happen to be in their own conference.

again--if the B's are even playing in the conference finals, I will be glad and a bit surprised. I also think the future looks even better.  Does that really make me public enemy #1? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Has anyone read KPDs' new piece this morning. This is what I gather.

Wally Douglas is KPD, KPD is Wally Douglas. 

Laces out Dan!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thanks TTBI.

I still think you over-rate the Lightning.  Vinny isn't the Vinny of 2004, so behind that dynamic duo of Stamkos and St. Louis, they're really thin.  Philly is very similar to the Bruins except their forwards grade out a little higher than the Bruins's (something that would change rapidly if Horton and Lucic continue to find their early season form), but Boston has better goaltending.

As for Van, Det, and SJ - if they had to win 12 of 21 against those three to hoist a Cup, I might be nervous.  But they don't.  They'll only play one of them, best of seven for the marbles, and that after a long road where that Western team will probably have had to go through one or two of those other Western teams.  If Vancouver has to play Chicago, I don't think they get out of round 1.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Has anyone read KPDs' new piece this morning. This is what I gather. Wally Douglas is KPD, KPD is Wally Douglas.  Laces out Dan!!!
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

I liked KPD's article today, I think he summed it up perfectly.

Do the Bruins have a chance to win the cup, the answer is a resounding "maybe".

That sums it up perfectly.  Not front runners, but they do have a chance.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

5 and 0 on the current road trip with their new roster including a convincing win over the Stanley Cup favorite Canucks. I think they have a legitimate shot providing that injuries do not decimate them.

Besides, if someone told you Carolina or Tampa Bay would win when they did they would be lying.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrHulot. Show MrHulot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : If Roloson/Smith, Price/Auld, Varlamov/Neuvirth, Bobrovsky/Boucher and Lundqvist/Biron with their vast intense playoff experience beat Thomas/Rask in a seven game series then I owe you an attaboy for seeing something I cannot see. Stamkos, St. Louis, Richards and Briere are on the ice for 22 minutes a game on average. Goalies play the whole game 60 minutes...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    While I love TT and Tuukka as Bruins goalies, where's their vast intense playoff experience? Between them, TT and Tuukka have won exactly 2 series. Roloson and Boucher each have made it to the cup finals once, and Boucher also played in the conference finals in 2000 (his rookie year). As for Bobrovsky, Varlamov and Neuvirth, there are numerous stories about young/rookie goalies who have won the cup or carried their teams at least to the cup finals (i.e. Dryden, Roy, Hextall, Ward, Niemi etc.).  Anything can happen in the playoffs. But I do like the Bruins' chances this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : While I love TT and Tuukka as Bruins goalies, where's their vast intense playoff experience? Between them, TT and Tuukka have won exactly 2 series. Roloson and Boucher each have made it to the cup finals once, and Boucher also played in the conference finals in 2000 (his rookie year). As for Bobrovsky, Varlamov and Neuvirth, there are numerous stories about young/rookie goalies who have won the cup or carried their teams at least to the cup finals (i.e. Dryden, Roy, Hextall, Ward, Niemi etc.).  Anything can happen in the playoffs. But I do like the Bruins' chances this year.
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]

Experience can be overrated as the list of goalies you give proves. A hot goaltender can go a long way, just ask the Habs about Halak. In truth, it is a team effort and I like the depth the B's have assembled....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Couldthisbetheyear. Show Couldthisbetheyear's posts

This is our year. There is no one in the East who will blow us away.  The Caps pick up Arnott....not bad , but he has slowed down...and Wideman....what a joke, just made their D game a little sloppier....and gave up a good player to get him.  Mtl really didn't do anything....the Pens with Malkin and Crosby's status unsure are not a major threat....our only obstacle is Philly and with Marchand's improved play, Horton's improved play, the depth of Kelly, Peverley, Paille and don't forget the tenacity of Campbell....I feel we are very well positioned to go all the way to Cup final. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

not even worth this response

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

This is probably the best team they have had since '89/'90 or '90/'91 (prior to Neely going down in the Conf. Finals via Ulfie and his dirty play).

I would rank 2003/2004 as 2nd best in a second tier and probably 1991/1992 as 3rd best behind these teams.

You just knew 2001/2002 they weren't quite there yet in terms of depth, especially on D, and in '98/'99 they were way too top heavy with no legit 2nd or 4th lines.

They had a fantastic checking line that year with Axelsson, Taylor and DiMaio but their second line was makeshift and their top line was a low budget top line with Allison doing his best Adam Oates.

The '92/'93 and '93/'94 teams were good, but again, you knew they weren't legit. They had flaws.

But, you have to like the depth down the middle, the size and speed up front and the skating ability on the back end.

The improvement of the PP will be HUGE. If they did not get a puck moving D Man, there was now way they make it past the Conf Finals, maybe not even the Semis depending upon who they might draw.

And then we get to the goaltending.  Thomas is hungry. I would imagine really hungry. Thomas, Ward, Fleury and Lundqvist are the best in the conference, but I'll take Thomas and his supporting cast out of those 3.

We'll see if it's enough. We'll see if Peverley can be a guy who can pop in goals and if Ryder and Horton can be consistent, in the same area, over a 6-7 game series.

Personally, I think this team is under the gun to do it this year as opposed to another year in a long time.

This will be the season where they are measured on if they pulled it off or not.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

No negativity please... for god sake. Be a bruins fan and the play off hasn't even started yet. I mean i think they will go a long way but again no one though the 2001 Pats would win the superbowl either.

Sections
Shortcuts