No 2011 Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Re: No 2011 Cup

In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup:
    [QUOTE]Thanks TTBI. I still think you over-rate the Lightning.  Vinny isn't the Vinny of 2004, so behind that dynamic duo of Stamkos and St. Louis, they're really thin.  Philly is very similar to the Bruins except their forwards grade out a little higher than the Bruins's (something that would change rapidly if Horton and Lucic continue to find their early season form), but Boston has better goaltending. As for Van, Det, and SJ - if they had to win 12 of 21 against those three to hoist a Cup, I might be nervous.  But they don't.  They'll only play one of them, best of seven for the marbles, and that after a long road where that Western team will probably have had to go through one or two of those other Western teams.  If Vancouver has to play Chicago, I don't think they get out of round 1.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

The big upsets are usually all in round 1, and I'm not really basing my psychological well-being on how far they go, post season.
    I like the recent moves.  I think the team has good overall balance.  I like the fact that this team has the league's best, team defense, arguably the leagues hottest goalie.  I like the fact that only 4 other teams in the entire league have done better offensively, and I like the fact that this record has been compiled over the peaks and valley's of 5 months, not 5 games.
    There are 16 teams going to the playoffs.  Absolute worst case....the B's would have to be considered top 5 on any reasonable hockey critics list.
    That puts them solidly in the cup hunt...but playoff hockey is fickle.  Inuries happen, one team can spike, their opponent can falter....just long enough to cause an upset....and then it's over.
    Ive been a Bruin fan for over 44 years.  This years version, has provided more "mindless entertainment" than many.
    I'm happy about that, and see no reason whatsover....especially right now....to "expect" an early ouster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

not that these opinions matter BUT... after watching nhl network and vs. last nite- each group of commentators were asked to rank the teams in the league right now. ALL of them put the b's in the top 5, only teams ahead were van and det. most put them ahead of tb and phi. again this has no real value other than that hockey "experts" see this team as a real contender. why is it that some the teams own fans can not see this? one guy when asked for a final prediction(a week or so ago-pre-trades), had the b's beating the wings in the final! i don't do predictions... but i will support this team, and wish them success.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In my opinion this is Boston's best team in a long time. 

Goaltending- Has to be proven but TT is having a season to remember.  I know it has to carry over and I honestly think it will.  Definite strength compared to all the east teams.  I have had the argument about Fleury but his team is missing his two stars. 

Defense- Chara is one of the top defenders in the league and did a great job of shutting the Sedins down.  Ask yourself who has been able to do this?  Speaks volumes.  Kaberle was a perfect fit as well.  Our support cast on the back end is also very reliable.  Seids/Boy/Kamp/MacQ/Ference. 

Offense- 3 reliable lines.  No true number 1 line.  But that creates matchup problems for other teams.  Our 4th line has Campy and his value is very important. 

PP- will get better with Kaberle and Peverly.
    PK- always reliable

1. Philly is very good but has a question mark in net.  I think Philly is very very good. They are the hardest challenge but they can be beat. 
    2. Tampa- could upset be the biggest challenge.  Tampa has two excellent lines, a good 3rd line.  Rollie is good and experienced.  defense has some questions but not terrible.  Vinny playing Vinny hockey again.  My sleeper team.
    3. Pitt- No Sid/Malkin.  No chance.  If Sid returns this changes.  Their defense is solid as any, Fleury is a good playoff goalie capible of stealing games and Sid is the best in the world.
    4. Caps- they added exactly what they needed at the dead line.  If they can pull it together they can be very good.  Goaltending is an obvious wild card.
    5. Rangers- great goalie.  Not enough scoring.  
    6. Habs- Depends on Price.  Speed and adequate defense.  Their home crowd gives them an edge when playing in Montreal.  That atmosphere in the playoffs is pretty impressive.
    7. Hurricanes- I can see them falling out.
    8. Buffalo- I am not worried about them.  Great goalie.  Avg scoring and defense.

That's my take on the East.

if you make the final anything is possible.  Detroit is very good.  SJ really scares me as well.  But I am changing my finals prediction.

I had Pitt vs Van
    I now have Van vs Boston.  And since I love our matchup against them I am taking our big bad beautiful Bruins.  How nice will it be to hammer Lapierre around in the finals.  How nice will that be.  I see the Bruins winning the Cup.  I haven't been able to say this in a long time but I feel this team is only going to get better. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]This is probably the best team they have had since '89/'90 or '90/'91 (prior to Neely going down in the Conf. Finals via Ulfie and his dirty play). I would rank 2003/2004 as 2nd best in a second tier and probably 1991/1992 as 3rd best behind these teams. You just knew 2001/2002 they weren't quite there yet in terms of depth, especially on D, and in '98/'99 they were way too top heavy with no legit 2nd or 4th lines. They had a fantastic checking line that year with Axelsson, Taylor and DiMaio but their second line was makeshift and their top line was a low budget top line with Allison doing his best Adam Oates. The '92/'93 and '93/'94 teams were good, but again, you knew they weren't legit. They had flaws. But, you have to like the depth down the middle, the size and speed up front and the skating ability on the back end. The improvement of the PP will be HUGE. If they did not get a puck moving D Man, there was now way they make it past the Conf Finals, maybe not even the Semis depending upon who they might draw. And then we get to the goaltending.  Thomas is hungry. I would imagine really hungry. Thomas, Ward, Fleury and Lundqvist are the best in the conference, but I'll take Thomas and his supporting cast out of those 3. We'll see if it's enough. We'll see if Peverley can be a guy who can pop in goals and if Ryder and Horton can be consistent, in the same area, over a 6-7 game series. Personally, I think this team is under the gun to do it this year as opposed to another year in a long time. This will be the season where they are measured on if they pulled it off or not.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

The 03/04 team was pretty damn good except for suspect goaltending. Things went unrailed in the playoffs as soon as Nylander got rocked and sustained a concussion...oh what could have been.

I agree that this is probably their best assembled all-round team since 90/91 which was, I think, a better one than 89/90.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]not that these opinions matter BUT... after watching nhl network and vs. last nite- each group of commentators were asked to rank the teams in the league right now. ALL of them put the b's in the top 5, only teams ahead were van and det. most put them ahead of tb and phi. again this has no real value other than that hockey "experts" see this team as a real contender. why is it that some the teams own fans can not see this? one guy when asked for a final prediction(a week or so ago-pre-trades), had the b's beating the wings in the final! i don't do predictions... but i will support this team, and wish them success.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Same spirit - Bob McKenzie said the Bruins were his trade deadline winner and he could see them going far.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonguy67. Show bostonguy67's posts

Chia's moves have given them a chance...now it's all about the players performing, some luck and staying healthy through the two month grind for the Cup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]not that these opinions matter BUT... after watching nhl network and vs. last nite- each group of commentators were asked to rank the teams in the league right now. ALL of them put the b's in the top 5, only teams ahead were van and det. most put them ahead of tb and phi. again this has no real value other than that hockey "experts" see this team as a real contender. why is it that some the teams own fans can not see this? one guy when asked for a final prediction(a week or so ago-pre-trades), had the b's beating the wings in the final! i don't do predictions... but i will support this team, and wish them success.  

Some can't see it, including to some degree my negativity, because we've been duped before.

Pretty simple.

The Bruins are notorious for this. Either not going the extra mile to try to win it, or doing so and getting the wrong pieces.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Chia's moves have given them a chance...now it's all about the players performing, some luck and staying healthy through the two month grind for the Cup.
    Posted by bostonguy67[/QUOTE]

those are the 2 keys to winning the cup. health and luck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : While I love TT and Tuukka as Bruins goalies, where's their vast intense playoff experience? Between them, TT and Tuukka have won exactly 2 series. Roloson and Boucher each have made it to the cup finals once, and Boucher also played in the conference finals in 2000 (his rookie year). As for Bobrovsky, Varlamov and Neuvirth, there are numerous stories about young/rookie goalies who have won the cup or carried their teams at least to the cup finals (i.e. Dryden, Roy, Hextall, Ward, Niemi etc.).  Anything can happen in the playoffs. But I do like the Bruins' chances this year.
    Posted by MrHulot[/QUOTE]

I would argue the experience aspect is completely overrated when you consider the miles logged from TT.

The Bruins had numerous chances in Round 2 against Carolina and simply didn't get it down in Game 7 at home.

Wasn't due to lack of experience or Thomas.  TT would have had them in Round 3 if they had scored in that OT and we wouldn't even be thinking about this.

Thomas is the goalie with "limited experience" who has tons of experience, in my opinion.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I Love critism especially from everyone here. Everyone has an opinion right or wrong and i sincerely hope mine is wrong.
    Cheers

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : I would argue the experience aspect is completely overrated when you consider the miles logged from TT. The Bruins had numerous chances in Round 2 against Carolina and simply didn't get it down in Game 7 at home. Wasn't due to lack of experience or Thomas.  TT would have had them in Round 3 if they had scored in that OT and we wouldn't even be thinking about this. Thomas is the goalie with "limited experience" who has tons of experience, in my opinion.

i don't know who you are or what you've done with the half shirted BBR. but thanks for kidnapping him and taking over his identity. all his posts were about how pc was a bad gm. you seem a lot more reasonable. welcome aboard.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Interesting thread, good discussion.  As for Wally and TTBI, it's not even that I disagree with you, I am just surprised by the timing.  Nobody thinks either of you are haters.  I know you probably think I am a homer, but I have been so cynical about this team for so long...peaking with the Thornton trade and the Dave Lewis experiment.

I swear I have not been more optimistic about this team in 15 years, so I am surprised when others don't seem to share that.  And I know from prior posts and debates that you two have been following this team for a long time too.

If I had to bet my house on them winning the Cup or not winning the Cup, obviously I would take the safe bet.  But after abstaining from the Koolaid for 15 years I seem to be in a period of growing enthusiasm about this team.  A good core, good goaltending, good management, young stars, good role players...anything could happen this year.

Even if they don't go all the way, at least we have had a fun team to watch (again, compare to the past 15 years).  There is no Dimitri Kristisch out there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : Some can't see it, including to some degree my negativity, because we've been duped before. Pretty simple. The Bruins are notorious for this. Either not going the extra mile to try to win it, or doing so and getting the wrong pieces.

This is probably what scares me the most. Everyone on the glass is half full side are 100% right that this team CAN go all the way. They've added depth and strengthened face-off wins (anyone see Pervely win nearly 100% of the face offs he took the other night?), and they have strong goaltending.

But if they draw Mtl. in round 1, I see disaster. Why? Because they always find a way (almost always) to lose against the Canadiens.

I'm not being scientific or even entirely rational in my feeling of gloom and doom, other than that I've been burned before: the 2004 squad that SHOULD have gone all the way; last year's unbelievably demoralizing 3-0 collapse v. Philly, and so many other disappointments over the years.

Here's one more thing that terrifies me and then I'll stop bumming everyone out: If any series but the Final* comes down to a game 7, run and hide have you noticed that since the 21st Century began the Bruins have lost every Game 7 of a playoff series they've been in?

2004 v. Montreal (after being up 3-1)
    2008 v. Montreal
    2009 v. Carolina
    2010 v. Philly (after being up 3-0)

* I agree that ANYTHING can happen in the Finals...if they make it that far, i WILL believe, even tho' I think on paper, Det., Van., and even SJ are probably better teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : i don't know who you are or what you've done with the half shirted BBR. but thanks for kidnapping him and taking over his identity. all his posts were about how pc was a bad gm. you seem a lot more reasonable. welcome aboard.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Apparently, the Globe banned my avatar.  THey must be big, big Mark Sanchez fans over at NY Times headquarters. bahwhaha

Like I said, you can disagree with my opinions, but don't pretend I am not a knowledgeable fan.

And no, not all my posts were about PC being a bad GM. False.  I said he was on the hook for seeing his plan through.  He is the GM.  No one else.

And Jacobs is the owner. No one else.  This is their show.  Their names are on the product.

You did not like this and think he is a some kind of genius. That's not my issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingnut11. Show Wingnut11's posts

I think this team is definitely good enough to do some damage. As someone once pointed out, you are what your record says you are and, right now, that's looking pretty good if that's the barometer. How they are getting there is a good sign too. Good goaltending, good defence, good scoring balance, good depth and they play well TOGETHER as a team.
    Can they do it, I say they have about a good as a shot as anyone else.

My only concern....can they do it when they HAVE to. Do they have that killer instinct to either bury one with 5 minutes left trailing by a goal, or with 5 minutes left to put away a game? I know there have been come comeback wins this year and know it can happen, that's honeslty where my biggest concern comes from.
    Not trying to live in the past here, but they had chances against Carolina and Phiily and just could finish them off. To win a cup (or ANY championship), teams need to be able to do that.
    Maybe they can, maybe they can't, but that's my biggest concern (other than staying healthy).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

If I am Claude Julien, I pull a bizarro Herb Brooks (pre game with the Soviets) and put all the negative or slighlty negative fans' comments in the dressing room before every playoff game, as an added measure of "inspiration" to fire them up.

There is a reason why there is a cynical stance in this town and it's not irrational to be that way.

That said, the team needs to believe they can do it. And then show it.  Don't tell us. Show us.

And, pray for health.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

the habs WERE a horrible childhood memory, but not any longer. i say bring 'em on, this is a very good team. how else do they exercise those demons? keep hoping they don't ever have to play them again? look what happened to the redsox confidence after finally beating the yanks... they were no longer the big bad wolf(b's swept their most recent meeting in the playoffs 09). gotta stop living in the past...your missing what's happening in the present.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Interesting thread, good discussion.  As for Wally and TTBI, it's not even that I disagree with you, I am just surprised by the timing.  Nobody thinks either of you are haters.  I know you probably think I am a homer, but I have been so cynical about this team for so long...peaking with the Thornton trade and the Dave Lewis experiment. I swear I have not been more optimistic about this team in 15 years, so I am surprised when others don't seem to share that.  And I know from prior posts and debates that you two have been following this team for a long time too. If I had to bet my house on them winning the Cup or not winning the Cup, obviously I would take the safe bet.  But after abstaining from the Koolaid for 15 years I seem to be in a period of growing enthusiasm about this team.  A good core, good goaltending, good management, young stars, good role players...anything could happen this year. Even if they don't go all the way, at least we have had a fun team to watch (again, compare to the past 15 years).  There is no Dimitri Kristisch out there.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Points for the Dmitri Kristich reference. I also would have accepted Rosie Rusicza or Joey Juneau.

Granted, my timing is a bit questionable given their fantastic current road trip...but the way my mind works I start thinking "d*mn--they're better on the road and they're going to get home ice as the 3 seed and it will end up killing them!" Crazy, I admit--but don't you wonder why they can't play better at home?

And what about drawing the Habs in round 1 (a distinct possibility.) No worries given the history? Remember, in the playoffs they can't fight their way to a win like they did in that 8-6 victory.

Agree with you on this, Fletch: I too am really behind mgt. for the first time in a LOOONG time....I love the moves PC made AND didn't make (i.e. keeping  the Tor. pick), and this team certainly has the pieces in place to go far.

My fear is that a lot of other teams do as well, and stack up a little stronger than our Bruins do. We shall see.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE] the habs WERE a horrible childhood memory, but not any longer. i say bring 'em on, this is a very good team. how else do they exercise those demons? keep hoping they don't ever have to play them again? look what happened to the redsox confidence after finally beating the yanks... they were no longer the big bad wolf(b's swept their most recent meeting in the playoffs 09). gotta stop living in the past...your missing what's happening in the present.

point well taken on Sox v. Yanks, as regarding B's v. Habs. Can't run and hide. Gotta keep playing 'em and not be afraid.  They did sweep them just a few years back (in the "Phil Kessel era")

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Habs aren't a big threat, in my opinion.  Boston struggles against Washington, TB and Philly.

Those are the greatest threats in the East for the B's.

And, Khrstich was actually a pretty good player and a good PP guy. Not a great defensive forward by any stretch, but he had a good career.

Khristich appeared in the 1997 and 1999 NHL All-Star Games. In the 1998–99 season, he had the highest shooting percentage (20.1%) among players with at least 82 shots (an average of at least one shot per scheduled game).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Khristich

Don't scapegoat good players.

Now, if you want to bag on Andrei "Tank" Kovalenko signed here like he would actually score 30 goals, then go right ahead.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

TTBI - I do feel like that's over now, that "curse of the Habs" thing.  Yeah, they came back from 3-1 down, but I hang almost all of that on the Bruins coach hanging McLaren out to dry. Hey, Robbie Ftorek - it's the playoffs.  Now's not the time to Droopy Dog your way through a response to Therrien foaming at the mouth to get his guys going.

The most recent playoff loss to the Shabs came after a spirited comeback, and was answered by a sound pummelling the following year.  I'll give you this, though - the Bruins haven't played well against Montreal this year.  Even the emotional 8-6 abberration was a bad game with a good result.  Entertaining yes, but neither team should be happy about the way they got there.  But...Montreal isn't faster than Vancouver, they're hurting, and the Bruins know they can score on Carrie Fischer Price.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]Habs aren't a big threat, in my opinion.  Boston struggles against Washington, TB and Philly. Those are the greatest threats in the East for the B's. And, Khrstich was actually a pretty good player and a good PP guy. Not a great defensive forward by any stretch, but he had a good career. Khristich appeared in the 1997 and 1999 NHL All-Star Games . In the 1998–99 season , he had the highest shooting percentage (20.1%) among players with at least 82 shots (an average of at least one shot per scheduled game). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Khristich Don't scapegoat good players. Now, if you want to bag on Andrei "Tank" Kovalenko signed here like he would actually score 30 goals, then go right ahead.

Rosie was a good player too....I was commenting more on the trivia/name recognition than the player's actual ability. (Even Juneau had a couple good years b4 Harry made his "yodelling" comment.)

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

The Flower isn't coming walking through that door, Neither is Dryden or Larry Robinson. If the 1988 playoff clincher at the Forum, the 1992 sweep that enraged the late great Pat Burns to say "The Bruins with Rick Bowness really!?!?" and the 2009 sweep hasn't exercised those "Oh my god the Habs are coming!" demons than you need to go lay on a sofa n tell your story to the man in the white jacket but expect R. Lee Ermey to throw a box of tissues at you n say "Mamby Pamby!"

The Bruins aren't the same team that blew the lead at the Bell last time out just watch the replay of the Feb. 9th game beatdown on game center. I have no fear of a seven game season with the Canadiens whatsoever. Paul Mara ? No Markov ? get real...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : Rosie was a good player too....I was commenting more on the trivia/name recognition than the player's actual ability. (Even Juneau had a couple good years b4 Harry made his "yodelling" comment.)
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

No, I hear ya. I love dropping the old names. I was more talking to Fletcher who seemed to knock Khristich.

In 2 seasons in Boston they got great production from him on a team that stunk just 2 years earlier.

Of course, Pat Burns was a great coach and Dafoe was quite good ascending into a legit #1 goalie.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : No, I hear ya. I love dropping the old names. I was more talking to Fletcher who seemed to knock Khristich. In 2 seasons in Boston they got great production from him on a team that stunk just 2 years earlier. Of course, Pat Burns was a great coach and Dafoe was quite good ascending into a legit #1 goalie.

I am absolutely knocking Khristich, no two ways about it.

I have never seen someone quit in a playoff series like Khristich did in '99.  The achievements on his wiki page mean nothing (shooting %?? who cares?).  He was the most talented player on the team and was a total no-show in the playoffs.  Everyone knew it and they ran him out of town the next year, amid the outcry from the fans and media.  Khristich was a hated man after that series, if you recall.  That is the point of the comparison -- I don't think this team has the playoff-soft Khristich types, that fold in important games.

To TTBI, I am feeling the 2004 Sox-fan in me taking over where the only way to get past the failures vs. the Habs/Yankees is to beat them head to head.  I agree that they always make me nervous (always), but the past is the past, and I think this team can beat the Habs.  And nothing would make the season sweeter than that.  Big risk, big reward.  Bring em' on.

BBR, much better avatar.

Sections
Shortcuts