No Layoffs For Bruins Staff

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

No Layoffs For Bruins Staff

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/18/no-layoffs-for-bruins-staff-yet/

The author brings up an interesting point. If JJ is as influential with the owners as we are led to believe, then the fact he sees no need for immediate layoffs could mean the lockout won't be as long as the doomsayers think it will be. Or maybe it will, I don't know.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: No Layoffs For Bruins Staff

Good point Dez, hopefully thats a sign.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I'd just like to see both sides atleast start trying to speak to eachother. Either way one or both sides are going to end up giving in or there will be no NHL ever again. Why waste a season with this stare down when everyone knows when all is said in done they will meet somewhere in the middle. It's frustrating, but expected given how much the heads of each side hate eachother. Put the egos aside and get a deal done. The NHL was moving in a good direction and now there's another stopage..

Hopefully this is a good sign, but all the players heading to Europe could also be a sign that they expect a long lockout. Tough to tell - especially when it appears that they don't plan on negotiating anytime soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

Good point Dez, hopefully thats a sign.

I'll latch on as a sign of hope fingers crossed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Geoff Ward.  You are safe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

when coupled with the fact that the B's are signing players like there's no tomorrow...it's a pretty good bet that JJ sees something on the horizon that the rest of us don't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The Bruins owner doesn't have an inside track on what the player's union is planning.

I doubt this ends before January.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:

when coupled with the fact that the B's are signing players like there's no tomorrow...it's a pretty good bet that JJ sees something on the horizon that the rest of us don't.

Jacobs could be preparing an offer so yes it might be something that could get the two sides talking. With the Escrow payments coming up for the players and NBC starting payments in November the offer from the board of governors has to be significant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bruins owner doesn't have an inside track on what the player's union is planning.

I doubt this ends before January.

[/QUOTE]
    you could be right about the last part, but i certainly think JJ has an inside track on everything pertaining to negotiations.  everyone knows what the union is planning.  they want things to pretty much stay the same, and they're planning to fight to save as much as possible.  The NHL has a "number', they'll be able to live with, and neither the public, nor the PA, knows what that is.  Jacobs does, and his side will ultimately decide when this thing ends.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

If I'm taking anything as a sign, it's that the NHL, with just over three weeks to go before the season is slated to start, the NHL has not officially announced that it is cancelling games.  Maybe that's PR - the NHL showing that it wants to resolve this quickly - and maybe an official announcement is a formality now that we're losing camp time, but still we haven't lost a real NHL game to this lockout yet.

The players worry me, though.  Bob McKenzie's piece was the clearest in terms of shedding light on what the players have really proposed: the owners are arguing that they need to have salaries decrease.  The players are proposing limiting growth for three years with a players' option to go back to 57% of revenues in the fourth year.  That means guaranteed growth of the players share regardless of the revenues, and either a spike in the players' share if the business continues to grow rapidly or continued growth for the players even if the revenues decline.  So if revenues go down over the next three years and what is now 57% of revenues becomes 65% of revenues with the increases, the players still get paid.  No risk at all.  Would you do that if you were a business owner?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Would you do that if you were a business owner?"

No and the owners won't give the NHLPA more than 50% this is what the players need to realize. The small market and mid market owners are the ones that need to make some noise if they want a season as they are leaving too much negotiation control to the richer owners.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I'm taking anything as a sign, it's that the NHL, with just over three weeks to go before the season is slated to start, the NHL has not officially announced that it is cancelling games.  Maybe that's PR - the NHL showing that it wants to resolve this quickly - and maybe an official announcement is a formality now that we're losing camp time, but still we haven't lost a real NHL game to this lockout yet.

The players worry me, though.  Bob McKenzie's piece was the clearest in terms of shedding light on what the players have really proposed: the owners are arguing that they need to have salaries decrease.  The players are proposing limiting growth for three years with a players' option to go back to 57% of revenues in the fourth year.  That means guaranteed growth of the players share regardless of the revenues, and either a spike in the players' share if the business continues to grow rapidly or continued growth for the players even if the revenues decline.  So if revenues go down over the next three years and what is now 57% of revenues becomes 65% of revenues with the increases, the players still get paid.  No risk at all.  Would you do that if you were a business owner?

[/QUOTE]

Nope, I wouldn't either.  I don't think that's what the players are really proposing though.  I think it's a response to being blind-sided with the leagues opening shot.  The leagues first offer shocked pretty much everyone, and set the process up to be a street fight. With the cap in place, and the league doing so well, many analysts figured this agreement would come together fairly smoothly.

Unfortunately, no one can credibly walk in now, and suggest anything close to a 50-50 split.  It's got to be negotiated through small incremental concessions from both sides. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from heyoo. Show heyoo's posts

From the players side of things i would hold out until the owners made me the agreement i wanted. Most players will be going over seas and have income and not be hurt. The players that will be hurting are the third and fourth liners. And without the star players on board no agreement is going to get signed. On every nhl team there is maybe one or two marketable players if these guys jump ship and go over seas. The nhl will lose big profits i dont know whos pockets they are trying to stick their hand in but if its the players they are choosing the wrong ppl. You do no turn in the most profitable year in history then ask for more money from the players it works the other way around. This isnt the nfl or nba or even mlb there are leagues guys can go to and make big money. Nhl players are already the lowest paid athletes in comparising to the other three major sports. If i was a player tax loopholes in other countries would sound really good to me.....