No Monday Morning Quarterbacks!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks!

In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks!:
    [QUOTE]Sav replacement as soon as he went down for season became a new job for Pc, he has made us better, but the pt+ per game player did not come. Don't say they are not out there, they are, the problem is what are you willing to give up, and apparently Pc deems the asking too high. Peverley replaces Wheeler fine. Stuart is not replaced by Valabik nor Hnidy. Kab is a PMD and PP QB, hopefully, when all the oohing and aahing is over, he has done what he was supposed to do and made our PP elite or at least existant and to be feared. I would love the over the top player, even for a Krej, 1of Kamp/Boyc/McQ, a top prospect Arniel and the #1 pick, if it is a center, or a Horton instead of Krej for a winger and a Fer/Seid if the other 3 D are not desirable.  A top liner plus another roster player, plus the top prospect, plus the Leafs #1 could rate a fine return, it is far more than we got for Joe.  I would hate to lose Krej or Horton, so the return would have to be good.
    Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]
    You say Stuart wasn't replaced but Valabik and Hnidy have played almost as much as Stuart had of late.Point per game guys out there.....who are "they" and what'll be the cost?I see Richards and his exhorbitant rental fee but few others.Goat,I'm like you and would love to see an impact forward brought in.I just can't figure out who it should be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

This team right now is IMHO the best they have had assembled under Chia. It would be nice to have the "Sniper" but if they all are on the same page, unlike Wheeler and I believe Savard after the concussions, they can go as far as they want to go. Thomas I hope has learned from the past (Walker Goal) and Rask playing better of late gives them the best tandem in the NHL in net. The potential is there, they just need to want it. I hope Clod doesn't get in their way......

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : To be fair, an elite player is usually labeled so after a fair dose of hindsight. For example, Brad Richards in 2004 was simply a solid top six forward and it was his role in the playoffs that year that elevated him to elite status. It is logical to assume that if the B's win the cup this year a couple of their best players may also get labeled as such. So, let's say Bergeron has 5 game winning goals, leads the team in scoring, and wins the Conn Smythe in a cup run. If that happens then it might be concievable that he may get tagged as an elite player. Also, Chara and TT have both won major hardware so it is possible to assume they are elite players....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Absolutely spot on! This team definitely has enough to win the cup!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Citing Thomas and Chara as elite players should be instructive.  Neither is fawned over on this board the way name players from other teams are in the e-harmony trade threads.  If you could somehow boil down an average Bruin fan rating for Chara and Thomas, I'd estimate Chara would get a 7.5 and Thomas a 7 - where elite players in the league get 8.5 and up.  Nevermind that Chara is a perennial All-Star game participant (this really isn't that important), a 2 time year-end first team all-star (second team twice as well), a Norris Trophy winner etc. etc.  Nevermind Thomas as a Vezina winner (all but a lock to win his second this year), first-team all-star, US Olympian and projected starter before the hip injury, or stats.

It's the "yeahbuts" that kick them down. Yeah, but Chara occasionally gets pinwheeled by speedy, small forwards, isn't a great passer, isn't great at skating the puck, doesn't get his shot through enough, doesn't hit enough for a guy his size, doesn't have his teammates' backs as much as he should, isn't a vocal leader....  Yeah, but Thomas is unorthodox, doesn't have good technique, is aging, is a former Finnish League all-star, is overpaid, makes easy saves look spectacular, muffs easy shots, gives up clutch goals, isn't great in teh shootout, is a product of a great defensive system, is Tuukka's placeholder.

Fact is, yep, in most other rinks, these guys are acknowledged as elite players.

The other fact is, in those other rinks, the guys whose names get thrown around here like they're THE ONE are yeahbutted to death.  Iginla is over the hill, too much of a perimeter player, not good with his young teammates, not a great leader, not a clutch scorer, unmotivated, lazy....  Nash is inconsistent, untested, selfish, overpaid.  Etc. Etc. Nature of the beast.  Bring that player here you'd bring the yeahbuts too. You gotta factor that in when fantasizing about how grand it would be have Brad Richards here - I mean just GRAND!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]Citing Thomas and Chara as elite players should be instructive.  Neither is fawned over on this board the way name players from other teams are in the e-harmony trade threads.  If you could somehow boil down an average Bruin fan rating for Chara and Thomas, I'd estimate Chara would get a 7.5 and Thomas a 7 - where elite players in the league get 8.5 and up.  Nevermind that Chara is a perennial All-Star game participant (this really isn't that important), a 2 time year-end first team all-star (second team twice as well), a Norris Trophy winner etc. etc.  Nevermind Thomas as a Vezina winner (all but a lock to win his second this year), first-team all-star, US Olympian and projected starter before the hip injury, or stats. It's the "yeahbuts" that kick them down. Yeah, but Chara occasionally gets pinwheeled by speedy, small forwards, isn't a great passer, isn't great at skating the puck, doesn't get his shot through enough, doesn't hit enough for a guy his size, doesn't have his teammates' backs as much as he should, isn't a vocal leader....  Yeah, but Thomas is unorthodox, doesn't have good technique, is aging, is a former Finnish League all-star, is overpaid, makes easy saves look spectacular, muffs easy shots, gives up clutch goals, isn't great in teh shootout, is a product of a great defensive system, is Tuukka's placeholder. Fact is, yep, in most other rinks, these guys are acknowledged as elite players. The other fact is, in those other rinks, the guys whose names get thrown around here like they're THE ONE are yeahbutted to death.  Iginla is over the hill, too much of a perimeter player, not good with his young teammates, not a great leader, not a clutch scorer, unmotivated, lazy....  Nash is inconsistent, untested, selfish, overpaid.  Etc. Etc. Nature of the beast.  Bring that player here you'd bring the yeahbuts too. You gotta factor that in when fantasizing about how grand it would be have Brad Richards here - I mean just GRAND!
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It is easy to see mistakes in a player's game when we watch every second of every period they play. This type of micro-analysis gets annoying. It is the overall (or macro) results which should be the most important in judging a player....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

BB7
    Z and TT are elite in their fields, but it is the elite scorers that pave an easier way to the cup. and most winners have a couple or line.

In the last 15 years, NJ is the really only team that won because of their super strong D and the greatest goalie of all time.  Their teams were not unlike the Bos team now, strong D and top goalie with a strong supporting cast.

2000 Brodeur 43-20-8  Neidermeyer Rafalski Stevens Daneyko Malakhov White  Albelin   Elias scored 35 + 3 20+goals scorers
    2003 Brod     42-23-9  Neidermeyer Rafalski Stevens White Tveredovsky Daneyko Albelin    had 3 20+ scorers, 9 double digit scorers, 4 with 50 points+, 3 with 40+,1 with 39 and 3 with 20+.

This is what Bos compares to, we have with 22 games left
    poss 2 60 point players in Berg and Krej, 4 players in the 50 range of Luc Rec Hort and March,  Ryd and Z will hit 40+,  with Pev and Kab hitting high 40 and aslo maybe 50 with most of their points from before Bos.

Luc will score 30+ goals, Berg March Hort Ryd and Pev will all be 20 goal scorers and we will have all 12 of our forwards hit double digit goals plus Chara and maybe Seid.

So our forwards exceed the years of NJ cup forwards.

Our D may be not be as fast or efficient as PMD, but they are a better crew in their own end and better prepared in the physical aspect, NJ only really had Stevens and Daneyko in that aspect..

Our goalie may not be Brodeur, but he is throwing up the numbers and will see more rest than Brodeur did.
    TT  27 -8 -6 = 60Pts prorates to 37 -11 -8=82points
    TR    7-11-1=15       prorates to  10-15-1=21
    TR has been playing better so his numbers should be better, even still we are at 103 points, will have home for first 2 rounds and should make 3rd round for first time in this milennia.

It should be exciting to watch until Cj dummies it down, maybe, just maybe he will sit Thorn like he did to start playoffs last year before Sturm went down.

If Hort Ryd Pev Krej and Rec score more often to support March Berg and Luc, this could become an awesome run.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]No they dont have enough for a Cup, but that doesnt necessarily give PC a thumbs down.  I think he;s done as well as could be expected.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I said this and was attacked for it.

Some fans can't handle the premise that Chia was not a top choice for GM and Julien is not a high quality, proven coach.

I am not saying they are bad or are doing a poor job. They may still prove to be exactly the opposite of what their resume shows and finally lead this team to a Cup.

We'll see. I keep saying that. We'll see.  But for now, to be fair, they don't have the results.

They don't even have a Conf Finals appearance for crying out loud.

Nor can some fans handle the opinion that Chia has only proven to be good at trading for players (generally speaking), and not so strong in drafting or allocating salaries under a cap.

Why is this such an offensive analysis?

I gave examples and it still wasn't good enough to the apparent psychotic fanboys here.

The only thing I can think of is they aren't aware of the Bruins history and are newer fans, raised in the new Garden with gimmick videoboard material and girls waving pink hats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : I said this and was attacked for it. Some fans can't handle the premise that Chia was not a top choice for GM and Julien is not a high quality, proven coach. I am not saying they are bad or are doing a poor job. They may still prove to be exactly the opposite of what their resume shows and finally lead this team to a Cup. We'll see. I keep saying that. We'll see.  But for now, to be fair, they don't have the results. They don't even have a Conf Finals appearance for crying out loud. Nor can some fans handle the opinion that Chia has only proven to be good at trading for players (generally speaking), and not so strong in drafting or allocating salaries under a cap. Why is this such an offensive analysis? I gave examples and it still wasn't good enough to the apparent psychotic fanboys here. The only thing I can think of is they aren't aware of the Bruins history and are newer fans, raised in the new Garden with gimmick videoboard material and girls waving pink hats.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Its been nearly impossible to read these posts lately without being super annoyed. I havent gotten involved so this is my take.

You(BBR) are bringing up all the points that everyone else is basically sick of hearing. There is alot of buzz about the team right now RE: 3rd in CONF, New Big Trades, Good Record against the Elite teams in the east.

However, the cup is won in the spring not now. So for you to constantly bring up your points and then cover it up with "we'll wait and see" is annoying. If you want to wait and see do that and stop sounding like a broken record and follow your own advise man.

I for one recall CJ having a winning in the top 5 for active coaches right now. This team went from a bottom feeder to perenial playoff contender.

Last year a sling of injuries, caused them to bunk out in 7gms vs the flyers but w/e. Ill take a team with budding stars that challenges everyear over a  team that makes a huge swign and potentially wiffs on superstars "IE Toronto"

Your bitter we get it. Im psyched to see if this team got what it take get past the ECF this year, I dont need to dwell in the past.

So please for the sake of making these boards readable follow your own advice and "wait and see"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's fine, but please stop pretending that the fans who err with caution are somehow off base.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : Exactly. It is easy to see mistakes in a player's game when we watch every second of every period they play. This type of micro-analysis gets annoying. It is the overall (or macro) results which should be the most important in judging a player....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

That's all true. When it comes to big game performances also should be a big determining factor on Chara and Thomas as far as being "Elite". So far where are they? Regular season is far from the playoffs. Time to put this team over the top and they will need to be a big part.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]This team right now is IMHO the best they have had assembled under Chia. It would be nice to have the "Sniper" but if they all are on the same page, unlike Wheeler and I believe Savard after the concussions, they can go as far as they want to go. Thomas I hope has learned from the past (Walker Goal) and Rask playing better of late gives them the best tandem in the NHL in net. The potential is there, they just need to want it. I hope Clod doesn't get in their way......
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly. I will even say that although I like Clod alot,  I often worry that his style or his lack of adjustments in the playoffs will hold us back.  I am not saying I would replace him; just being honest about my concerns regarding him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

I agree wholeheartedly. I will even say that although I like Clod alot,  I often worry that his style or his lack of adjustments in the playoffs will hold us back.  I am not saying I would replace him; just being honest about my concerns regarding him.

Ricky--- Well stated and I completely agree with you.  See my post earlier in this thread, I believe I stated the same thing that you are feeling.

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3&plckUserId=0cd23fb67005650d3e3721cc681191a3">
    First: 7/1/2009
    Last: 2/25/2011
    Thumbs up for making the moves BEFORE the deadline and not waiting.  I think this team does have enough talent to make it to the Cup, but I question the Coaching, specifically in a 6 or 7 game series where CJ has been schooled in two consecutive years by Paul Maurice and Peter Laviolette.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE] Thumbs up for making the moves BEFORE the deadline and not waiting.  I think this team does have enough talent to make it to the Cup, but I question the Coaching, specifically in a 6 or 7 game series where CJ has been schooled in two consecutive years by Paul Maurice and Peter Laviolette.
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

Yes you did. Sorry for the oversight.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : I said this and was attacked for it. Some fans can't handle the premise that Chia was not a top choice for GM and Julien is not a high quality, proven coach. I am not saying they are bad or are doing a poor job. They may still prove to be exactly the opposite of what their resume shows and finally lead this team to a Cup. We'll see. I keep saying that. We'll see.  But for now, to be fair, they don't have the results. They don't even have a Conf Finals appearance for crying out loud. Nor can some fans handle the opinion that Chia has only proven to be good at trading for players (generally speaking), and not so strong in drafting or allocating salaries under a cap. Why is this such an offensive analysis? I gave examples and it still wasn't good enough to the apparent psychotic fanboys here. The only thing I can think of is they aren't aware of the Bruins history and are newer fans, raised in the new Garden with gimmick videoboard material and girls waving pink hats.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

what do you do, just copy and paste this post and put it in all the threads?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : NO!...What dot he following teams have in common: Detroit - Datsyuk / Zetterberg Philadelphia - Brierre / Carter San Jose - Thornton / Marleau Vancouver - Sedin / Sedin Tampa Bay - Stamkos / St. Louis Washington - Ovechkin / Semin ...Elite scorers. These are the teams that will compete hard for the Cup this year. The Bruins need that "threat" up-front. Thier close but missing one more piece. **One more thing: Boston clearly have the edge in net. However, many dismiss the fact thay the playoffs are a whole different animal. ANY and i repeat ANY goaltender can get HOT and carry a team. What i am trying to say is don't bank on Thomas (as good as he is) taking this team all the way...A top-6 forward is a must!
    Posted by xenimus[/QUOTE]

Thumbs up to PC doing as well as could be expected re: what was available and out there, but I agree w/this assessment.

I believe the Bruins do lack a truly dynamic scoring tandem and when the defense tightens up in the playoffs and goaltenders on great teams like the Flyers only have to be GOOD, not GREAT, the Bruins will falter.

No fault of PC's, but the Bruins are not going to the Stanley Cup this year.

I can see the other side of this debate--as San Dog, NAS and others have pointed out...but I think Xenimus makes a valid point as well.

pessimism vs. optimism, but I have no quarrel w/what PC has done so far. At the very least he's made the Bruins better than they were w/these moves.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks! : That's all true. When it comes to big game performances also should be a big determining factor on Chara and Thomas as far as being "Elite". So far where are they? Regular season is far from the playoffs. Time to put this team over the top and they will need to be a big part.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

It is easy to say that without a deep run or cup win players like Chara and Thomas will not be an elite player in eyes of some people. You can, however, also argue that hockey is a team sport and, despite the individual effort by some players, it just was not enough to pull out a victory. I think Bourque and Neely were elite Bruins despite never winning the cup in Boston.

In truth, only one team and a roster of 21 players win the cup every year. Soem elite players do not win it annually or ever. all I cna go by is what other players think and it is no secret that Chara is one of the most respected players at his position in the league . In my eyes, this makes him an elite player. Thomas won the Vezina two years ago and will likely win it again. This, in my mind, makes him an elite player. Does this mean the cup is as good as won? Of course not....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Monday Morning Quarterbacks !

in a "cash for clunker" deal,

Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much.  This is the term I've been searching for! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sparkes. Show sparkes's posts

bergeron, krejci,lucic,horton, chara, kaberle

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

2 Questions in which the answer to #1 determines the answer for #2

1. Is Claude Julien still the coach of the Bruins?

2. Will the Bruins win the cup this year?

-If the answer to question 1 is "yes", then the answer to question 2 is "no"

-If the answer to question 1 is "no", then the answer to question 2 is "very possible"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

[QUOTE]The elite player is/was Marc Savard.   Savvy is a Top 10 scorer in this league.  Hands down.  Savard's concussions have nothing to do with PC.  This is just bad luck.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

An elite scorer is more than an accumlation of points. Marc Savard had elite skills, but an elite/clutch goal scorer - no, I don't think so. Another guy who fits in that catergory is Jumbo Joe; every year it seems he's near the top of the league in regular season points then the playoffs arrive and..... we'll we all know the story. Sure would be nice to have a consistent clutch goal scorer, Brad Marchand appears to have the mental toughness and skills to become one - but we'll have to wait and see. Tyler Seguin, perhaps in a year or two. 

Sections
Shortcuts