No Rask? No Problem!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No Rask? No Problem!

It's no secret that I'm not a Rask fan.  I find his style pitiful.  In my opinion, all he does is drop to his knees and hope the pucks hit him more than not.  Many, many, many goals are scored in the upper half of his net...simply due to him going down far too quickly.

I have been told by the media that he is a good player.  I have been told by the Bruins that he is a good player.  I have been told by my eyes that he is not.

As the foundation of the Bruins fanbase quakes at the thought of Tuukka Rask being out for an extended period of time, let's take a look at his season so far.

23 games and 11 wins.  a lower than 50% success rate.

Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI.

Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th.

The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6. 

It's also worth nothing that he's lost his last seven starts (counting yesterday).

My point here is that an old back up NHL goaltender, and many from the AHL, could re-create these stats.  I'm sure that some will say, "But NAS, his GAA and his SV% are phenominal."  Against terrible opponents, an NHL goaltender's stats should be!

Bring on Hutchinson, Raycroft, Toivonen, Carey, Blue, or Gerry Cheevers.  The results would probably be similar.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: No Rask? No Problem!

In Response to No Rask? No Problem!:
    [QUOTE]It's no secret that I'm not a Rask fan.  I find his style pitiful.  In my opinion, all he does is drop to his knees and hope the pucks hit him more than not.  Many, many, many goals are scored in the upper half of his net...simply due to him going down far too quickly. I have been told by the media that he is a good player.  I have been told by the Bruins that he is a good player.  I have been told by my eyes that he is not. As the foundation of the Bruins fanbase quakes at the thought of Tuukka Rask being out for an extended period of time, let's take a look at his season so far. 23 games and 11 wins.  a lower than 50% success rate. Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI. Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th. The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6.  It's also worth nothing that he's lost his last seven starts (counting yesterday). My point here is that an old back up NHL goaltender, and many from the AHL, could re-create these stats.  I'm sure that some will say, "But NAS, his GAA and his SV% are phenominal."  Against terrible opponents, an NHL goaltender's stats should be! Bring on Hutchinson, Raycroft, Toivonen, Carey, Blue, or Gerry Cheevers.  The results would probably be similar.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    What did your eyes have to say about Marchand and the player he would become? Thanks for your input.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Put me in net then, NAS, or Nitemare. We can't be any worse, according to your theory.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to No Rask? No Problem! : What did your eyes have to say about Marchand and the player he would become? Thanks for your input.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

What's is your input on what was actually written?  This thread wasn't created to discuss a guy who has a whopping four goals...hang on.  I'll create a new one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

I have to agree with Nas here, i have never been a fan of rask either, yes he sowed us one pronising year and thats it. I never did like the idea of having 2 top notch goalies, and i am sure any callups can be a suitable backup. Yes if TT gets hurt we all say were done, How many rookies in the past have stepped up when needed. One never knows but i dont think its the goaltending thats gonna lose the cup this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

TT is the #1, so losing your back-up doesn't seem catastrophic. 

Where I think it may have an impact is in TT's workload over the final 19 games.  CJ was already reluctant to rest TT and play Rask, what does that look like when Hutchinson or Khudobin is the option?  TT is going to play a ton of hockey down the stretch, I am not sure that is a good thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : What's is your input on what was actually written?  This thread wasn't created to discuss a guy who has a whopping four goals...hang on.  I'll create a new one.
    My opinion is that I can't always trust your eyes to help me decide on the eventual importance of a player. Show me a butterfly goalie that isn't susceptible to being beat high and I'll show you a guy that likely isn't really a butterfly goaltender.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : My opinion is that I can't always trust your eyes to help me decide on the eventual importance of a player. Show me a butterfly goalie that isn't susceptible to being beat high and I'll show you a guy that likely isn't really a butterfly goaltender.

Also worth noting that Rask is 5th in NHL in both GAA & SV%. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : My opinion is that I can't always trust your eyes to help me decide on the eventual importance of a player. Show me a butterfly goalie that isn't susceptible to being beat high and I'll show you a guy that likely isn't really a butterfly goaltender.

I havne't asked you to believe my eyes.  I didn't end the post with the silly "Trust me" or "Believe me" statement.  I gave my opinion and showed the basis for it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : I havne't asked you to believe my eyes.  I didn't end the post with the silly "Trust me" or "Believe me" statement.  I gave my opinion and showed the basis for it.
    I gave my basis for not trusting your opinion. Seems fairly straight forward. I think Rask is a fine young goalie.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to No Rask? No Problem!:[QUOTE] Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI. Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th. The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6.   The results would probably be similar.Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Julien chooses when Rask starts not Tuukka and you have no proof whatsoever that Rask ends up like those goaltenders none but your eyes.

You mention the save % becuase you know what it means...everything.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No Rask? No Problem! : Julien chooses when Rask starts not Tuukka and you have no proof whatsoever that Rask ends up like those goaltenders none but your eyes. You mention the save % becuase you know what it means...everything.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Save percentage is an okay way to judge a goaltender if you haven't seen the games.  A flip in from the red line that is going on goal is easily saved and counts just the same.  A shot off the stick of John Scott (if that ever actually happens) would count as much as a shot from Gaborik.  Save percentage is better than goals against average when it comes to evaluating a goaltender, but strength of competition cannot be ignored.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI.

Flordia- Weiss, Versteeg, Campbell
    Winnipeg- Kane, Ladd, Wheeler, Buff, Enstom, Bogosian, Little
    Calgary- Iggy
    Phoenix- Whitney, Doan, Yandle
    LA- Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Doughty, Johnson (when Rask played)
    Columbus- Nash, Brassard, Dorsett, Whiz
    Toronto- Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf, Liles, McCarthur, Connelly
    Edmonton- Hall, Eberle, RNH, Omark, Hemsky
    NYI- Taveres, Moulson, Oposo, Parenteu, Streit
    Some pretty big names that can shoot & score here NAS. So I think the games that Rask has won is quite relevant. A very weak argument by you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]It's no secret that I'm not a Rask fan.  I find his style pitiful.  In my opinion, all he does is drop to his knees and hope the pucks hit him more than not.  Many, many, many goals are scored in the upper half of his net...simply due to him going down far too quickly. I have been told by the media that he is a good player.  I have been told by the Bruins that he is a good player.  I have been told by my eyes that he is not. As the foundation of the Bruins fanbase quakes at the thought of Tuukka Rask being out for an extended period of time, let's take a look at his season so far. 23 games and 11 wins.  a lower than 50% success rate. Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI. Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th. The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6.  It's also worth nothing that he's lost his last seven starts (counting yesterday). My point here is that an old back up NHL goaltender, and many from the AHL, could re-create these stats.  I'm sure that some will say, "But NAS, his GAA and his SV% are phenominal."  Against terrible opponents, an NHL goaltender's stats should be! Bring on Hutchinson, Raycroft, Toivonen, Carey, Blue, or Gerry Cheevers.  The results would probably be similar.

You fail to mention that Rask has only faced 2 teams better then Phoenix in the standings all year long . Detroit and NYR , both games lost in OT. Not much of an indicator for your reasoning.

If you want to blame someone for Rask not beating better teams then the Coyotes blame it on Julien. Rask doesn't get to decide who he plays against.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem!:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : Save percentage is an okay way to judge a goaltender if you haven't seen the games. Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with Glen Sather much but I do agree with the save % as the best measurement to judge goalies. Again neither you or I have any control over when Julien starts Tuukka.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

After the 4th ranger goal there may be a problem!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

I'm sure there are alot of other teams that would love to has Rask. Best tandem in the NHL. I tend to believe that not having Rask as the backup is a bad thing. Time will tell.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

NAS my concern about Rask being out is that third on our depth chart now is... Karel St. Laurent? I'm not comfortable with being one groin pull away from having a kid who two days ago was playing in Reading to being promoted to the NHL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

You can "count yesterday" all you like, but all the stat cherry-picking in the world wont change that he in fact did not lose yesterday. That would be the other guy. How come you can use stats like average place in the standings, but Rask's personal stats don't count?  There's a reason people say statistics are for losers.  (especially when it comes to goaltending)

Rask has a superb NHL style.  The biggest problem he has is he's playing behind a cult hero. Tuukka Rask has no business playing backup for any team in the NHL.  He's a starting goalie, and will be a franchise goalie as soon as his agent gets him out of the Chained To The Bench problem he has in Boston.  One thing he has proven is he does not play well when he's dusted off to start every blue moon and has no chance to find his game.

Incidentally, saying he plays against terrible opponents is interesting seeing how its the Bruins who are terrible right now.

Its not the fact that Rask is an excellent goalie that is the problem with his loss... its the fact that Thomas, who has the ability to put a team on his back at times, is and always has been erratic and streaky.  He also has a history of not playing well when he plays too much.  Not sure if its age or his physical style or what, but TT playing every game or having a Providence goalie lose every game is not the answer here.  Especially when he's playing as bad as he did against the Rangers.

I just hope Rask can get a trade out of town this offseason so he can get on with his career, and the B's can possibly pick up somebody who can provide a modicum of offense.  Everybody wins.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No Rask? No Problem! : You fail to mention that Rask has only faced 2 teams better then Phoenix in the standings all year long . Detroit and NYR , both games lost in OT. Not much of an indicator for your reasoning. If you want to blame someone for Rask not beating better teams then the Coyotes blame it on Julien. Rask doesn't get to decide who he plays against.
    Posted by Chowdahkid-[/QUOTE]

I didn't want to talk about his losses, but we can if you'd like.  Along with Detroit and the Rangers, there are also losses to Colorado (10th), Carolina (14th), Montreal (15th), Winnepeg (8th), Carolina (14th), Buffalo (11th), Winnepeg (8th), Buffalo (11th) and that Islanders game from yesterday that I won't count.

Average standings position for loses?  9.4

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : I havne't asked you to believe my eyes.  I didn't end the post with the silly "Trust me" or "Believe me" statement.  I gave my opinion and showed the basis for it.

Can you take it to the bank ?
    (hang nothing against your thread)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Fleury is a good example of a goalie that doesn't have the best save % or GAA however he makes the saves and gives his team a chance to win everytime.    That's why I aslo am not a big fan of stats. Just one, games won.
    Off topic,  today Thomas didn't do either of the two.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No Rask? No Problem! : You can "count yesterday" all you like, but all the stat cherry-picking in the world wont change that he in fact did not lose yesterday. That would be the other guy. How come you can use stats like average place in the standings, but Rask's personal stats don't count?  There's a reason people say statistics are for losers.  (especially when it comes to goaltending) Rask has a superb NHL style.  The biggest problem he has is he's playing behind a cult hero. Tuukka Rask has no business playing backup for any team in the NHL.  He's a starting goalie, and will be a franchise goalie as soon as his agent gets him out of the Chained To The Bench problem he has in Boston.  One thing he has proven is he does not play well when he's dusted off to start every blue moon and has no chance to find his game. Incidentally, saying he plays against terrible opponents is interesting seeing how its the Bruins who are terrible right now. Its not the fact that Rask is an excellent goalie that is the problem with his loss... its the fact that Thomas, who has the ability to put a team on his back at times, is and always has been erratic and streaky.  He also has a history of not playing well when he plays too much.  Not sure if its age or his physical style or what, but TT playing every game or having a Providence goalie lose every game is not the answer here.  Especially when he's playing as bad as he did against the Rangers. I just hope Rask can get a trade out of town this offseason so he can get on with his career, and the B's can possibly pick up somebody who can provide a modicum of offense.  Everybody wins.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

If he has superb NHL style, can you possibly explain to me why his record is so terrible even though he usually only plays against the worst teams in the league?  Please save the "he needs to play more to be more effective" as a way to explain his losses.  He also had long lapses between his wins. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I get your point NAS, but where last week our goalie depth chart was TT, Rask and Khudobin, now it's TT, Hutchinson, and St. Laurent. Even with your criticisms of Rask, you'd have to be a little nervous about that current depth chart.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I get your point NAS, but where last week our goalie depth chart was TT, Rask and Khudobin, now it's TT, Hutchinson, and St. Laurent. Even with your criticisms of Rask, you'd have to be a little nervous about that current depth chart.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    TT might've been pulled from today's game if Rask was ready to go. Who's backing up can make a big difference.