No Rask? No Problem!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Re: No Rask? No Problem!

Fact: Since the injury to Rask, Thomas has allowed 6 goals on 30 shots for a SV% of .700.  If your not worried that is good for you but I am.  We have a very busy schedule this month and Thomas already looks tired and as red has pointed out we have no one able to play at the NHL level and give him a break.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem!:
    [QUOTE]Khudobin will be back on the ice in a week, per Chiarelli,Boston Herald.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Believe you me he's no savior.  That I am worried about.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : Believe you me he's no savior.  That I am worried about.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    I realize that, but in the last 18 games can he at least play 6 games? That would give TT the required rest and playoffs here we come. I don't expect Anton to win all 6 but maybe he can keep it close?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Fact: Since the injury to Rask, Thomas has allowed 6 goals on 30 shots for a SV% of .700.  If your not worried that is good for you but I am.  We have a very busy schedule this month and Thomas already looks tired and as red has pointed out we have no one able to play at the NHL level and give him a break.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

I know!  I can't believe Thomas didn't stop the bank shot that went off Zanon's stick/hand, then his leg and then in!

And why would the Rask injury be at starting point to measure anything?  How about, "Starting in 2009, Thomas has won the Vezina two out of three times, also the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup"?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Two reason to be concerned about Rask's injury:

1. Personal hunches and observations aside, he is perhaps the best back-up in the NHL.  Without him, as red said, we are one groin tweak away from an ECHL goalie.  That makes this a big problem, in my opinion.  Compare to another young phenom who has been a back-up every year like Josh Harding.  Rask is consistently better. 

2. Personal hunches and observations aside, he has given every indication that he could be a very good starting goalie, despite his youth.  Two years ago he could easily have won the Vezina.  Look at the stats.  He was great.  Since then, he has been surpassed by Thomas rather clearly, but still plays well enough to be a starter on most teams.  We have been spoiled by Thomas here.  Rask is better than most current starting goalies. 

Butterfly goalies get beat high sometimes, we know that, but everyone has agreed now that getting beat high on occasion is about the least troubling weakness a goalie can have.  That's the hardest place to put the puck and if the defense plays well, it doesn't happen very often.

Who knows what the future holds for Rask, but he sure looks good to me. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : I don't spend any time worrying about things that have not happened.  Should Thomas get hurt, I'll think more about it.  Until then, the B's have an All-Star goaltender.  Life is good.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I don't know NAS. That All-Star goalie of yours has loses this year to Philly (5), Carolina (14), San Jose (8), Montreal (15), Montreal again (15), Florida (3), Dallas (7), Vancouver (1), Carolina again (14), Tampa (10), Pittsburgh (4), Buffalo (11), NYR (1), Minnesota (12), Ottawa (7), NYI (13), and NYR again (1).

Average position of teams = 8.706. Out of the playoffs.

He's awful.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : I don't know NAS. That All-Star goalie of yours has loses this year to Philly (5), Carolina (14), San Jose (8), Montreal (15), Montreal again (15), Florida (3), Dallas (7), Vancouver (1), Carolina again (14), Tampa (10), Pittsburgh (4), Buffalo (11), NYR (1), Minnesota (12), Ottawa (7), NYI (13), and NYR again (1). Average position of teams = 8.706. Out of the playoffs. He's awful.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

You added a couple of games in there that weren't losses for Thomas.  The real number (assuming your standings positions are correct...I didn't feel like looking them up again) is 7.66.  Not out of the playoffs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yeah, with 15 teams, the average place in the standings of opponents for a goalie who played every game would be 7.5, assuming they could play themselves, which they can't.  When you take your own team out of the equation, that will shift it. The Bruins are in 2nd, so our goalies will never play a team ranked 2nd.  The average rank of opponents should be between 8 and 9 if you're a good team, maybe a little more or less, but it doesn't really matter.

The only thing we can infer from the list of teams that Tuukka plays is that Julien uses Thomas for the big games, generally.  Not always, since Tuukka played against Detroit. His stats against the teams he plays have nothing to do with how they would be against the other teams. You can't project one on to the other with any validity. Maybe the Bruins play worse against lesser teams. It certainly has seemed that way this year.

I think Rask is a very good goaltender. His style of being in the right position to have the best possible chance of the puck hitting him is fundamental modern goaltending. I remember as a kid in hockey school learning about the butterfly that Roy had pioneered and the instructor drawing a picture on the white board showing how hard it is to score high even though the goaltender is down. Rask's reflexes are great too. I don't think Tuukka is quite as good as Tim, but he is really good. It's not a big loss because he's the backup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I disagree with OP, not only do I think Rask is starting goalie material, in my opinion  when he has the full-time gig he will rise to become one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : You added a couple of games in there that weren't losses for Thomas.  The real number (assuming your standings positions are correct...I didn't feel like looking them up again) is 7.66.  Not out of the playoffs.

Must've been inaccurate on the site I was looking at. Think it was ESPN of all places. Either way, I was being cheeky and actually think your original non-statistical feelings on the matter are valid. Stats can be cut to fit any argument, but you feel Rask isn't all that. That's fine. He hasn't really done anything one way or another to scream out that he's the answer or a flop.

The bigger issue is that Julien and the Bs organization believe in him...and had plans to play him significantly down the stretch in order to not tax Thomas. It'll be telling how much they play Thomas now. You feel that Rask doesn't deserve the status he's achieved as a #1b during the regular season instead of a true #2 backup. If that's the case, we should still see a healthy 50/50 split...and we all know that's not going to happen. If it's down to the evaluation of fans or the organization itself, I'll go with the organization's take on the matter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : You added a couple of games in there that weren't losses for Thomas.  The real number (assuming your standings positions are correct...I didn't feel like looking them up again) is 7.66.  Not out of the playoffs.

There are so many flaws to this standings position thing.

1) where they are in the standings when the goalie plays the other team .You did Rask and pointed out the Coyotes were 6th . What position were they in when Rask played them ? Was it 6th ? They could have been better or they could have been worse. Today I did Corey Schneider's #'s ( more on him later ) and the Coyotes were 3rd in the West today, 3 spots up from when you did them. Rask's #'s just improved if you did them again.  

2) which teams the goalie plays against. Traditionally the #1 goalie gets more of the difficult teams then the backup. The numbers will be always high if the #2 goalie only plays the teams lower in the standings . Corey Schneider's #'s will also reflect that ( more on him later ).

3) As noted on a previous post by me Rask had a little over a goal per game average output from his teammates during the losses. This has to be accounted for . Goalies can only keep the puck out of their nets . Scoring goals aren't in their resumes.

Okay Corey Schneider. By my unofficial count in his wins his stat is 9.5. Out of the playoffs. How do you rate Schneider's play this year ? According to the stat he's not so good.

P.S. Don't take this personally. I just don't see this stat being any good. I tried to keep this as cordial as I could and your spot for sleeping is still reserved. BRRRRRRR !

TLDR !

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

NAS, some excellent posters have stated why Rask will be a NHL quality goalie.  The debate will continue once he returns, right now I am thinking next year.  I will defend him with two thoughts as I did stealth like up above.  One he is playing irregularily because he is a back up.  Two he has had one very good season two years ago. 

I liked your post excerpt, copied below, when you sarcastically mentioned the goal that went off of Zannon.  If the goal by Marchand went in that went off of Lunquist then the conversations on this board would have been much different today, heh?.  Now that can be defined as "lucky"!  The Bs in mind were the better team yesterday.  

I know!  I can't believe Thomas didn't stop the bank shot that went off Zanon's stick/hand, then his leg and then in!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

In Response to No Rask? No Problem!:
    [QUOTE]It's no secret that I'm not a Rask fan.  I find his style pitiful.  In my opinion, all he does is drop to his knees and hope the pucks hit him more than not.  Many, many, many goals are scored in the upper half of his net...simply due to him going down far too quickly. I have been told by the media that he is a good player.  I have been told by the Bruins that he is a good player.  I have been told by my eyes that he is not. As the foundation of the Bruins fanbase quakes at the thought of Tuukka Rask being out for an extended period of time, let's take a look at his season so far. 23 games and 11 wins.  a lower than 50% success rate. Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI. Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th. The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6.  It's also worth nothing that he's lost his last seven starts (counting yesterday). My point here is that an old back up NHL goaltender, and many from the AHL, could re-create these stats.  I'm sure that some will say, "But NAS, his GAA and his SV% are phenominal."  Against terrible opponents, an NHL goaltender's stats should be! Bring on Hutchinson, Raycroft, Toivonen, Carey, Blue, or Gerry Cheevers.  The results would probably be similar.

Rask's style is alarming especially in contrast to TT, who seems never to simply stay in place but is all arms/legs akimbo to make the stop. Announcers always point to Rask being "calm" in his net and this speaks to his emphasis on positional goaltending to make the save. As much as it does appear he is simply dropping to a knee and hoping the puck hits him, it is just as true that more often than not that positioning BEFORE the shot ever reaches him is precisely what allows him to make the save while another goaltender may have been a shade slower to get there. This doesn;t mean Rask doesn't have flaws (chief among them--he's a terrible stick-handler and stopping a puck to leave or make a pass to a D-man is always an adventure), but his GAA and Save % #'s cannot be dismissed just b/c his won-lost record against "ggod" or "bad" teams is what it is.

More to that point: If Rask were a major league pitcher, the record would show that he suffers from a lack of run support. This phenomenon happens sometimes, and it's really inexplicable. But to be fair to Rask, a lot of those games he lost to "good teams" were games the Bruins lost by a goal and were often very low-socring affairs--games in which Rask played rather well and deserved to win or at least get a tie but for whatever reason his mates were not putting the puck in at the other end.

But the main problem with your "No Rask, No Problem" line, NAS, is that the Bruins really DO have a problem here in that right now Hutchinson is their next back up on the depth chart and he's not even a legitimate AHL goalie yet, much less one you want to throw into the heat of a final stretch of games heading to playoffs. That means more Timmy, a tired Timmy, and likely, and earlier exit from the post season than any Bruins fan would care to see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gaaucoin. Show gaaucoin's posts

Victories against:  Florida, Winnepeg, Calgary, Phoenix, Florida, LA, Columbus, Toronto, Columbus, Edmonton, NYI. Florida is in seventh place for points in the East.  Winnepeg is 8th.  Toronto?  12th.  NYI? 13th.  Columbus?  15th.  Edmonton is 14th.  LA is 9th.  Phoenix is 6th.  Calgary is 11th. The best team he beat is the Coyotes!  The average place in the standings for his victories is 10.6.   The results would probably be similar.Posted by Not-A-Shot
    I could be fulla baloney, but I'm pretty sure he's not had a lot of Goal Support in his losses. I think there are a lot of very low scoring games in there like 2-1 and 1-0 losses. He cannot score for himself...he's gotta have the guys in front of him put it in the net.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Altus123. Show Altus123's posts

Pitiful style?  Are you kidding me?  He is one of the most fluid goalies I have seen in my 45 years as a hockey player and fan.

Rask would start for /> 50% of the NHL teams out there.  He led the league in GAA and save % for how long this year? 

Whoever started this thread must not know hockey.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem!:[QUOTE] Khudobin will be back on the ice in a week, per Chiarelli,Boston Herald. Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see Khudobin start a few and he as a two-way this season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to No Rask? No Problem! : but his GAA and Save % #'s cannot be dismissed just b/c his won-lost record against "ggod" or "bad" teams is what it is. More to that point: If Rask were a major league pitcher, the record would show that he suffers from a lack of run support. This phenomenon happens sometimes, and it's really inexplicable. But to be fair to Rask, a lot of those games he lost to "good teams" were games the Bruins lost by a goal and were often very low-socring affairs--games in which Rask played rather well and deserved to win or at least get a tie but for whatever reason his mates were not putting the puck in at the other end. But the main problem with your "No Rask, No Problem" line. Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

Well put TTBI and good to see you back!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Rask? No Problem! : I'd like to see Khudobin start a few and he as a two-way this season.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    I know he did play a couple (?) games for Minnesota in the bigs, so he does have a little experience.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Maybe the players know something NAS doesn't. The THN player poll rankked Rask as the 4th best goalie in the league, behind Lundqvist, TT, and Rinne.
    A quote from Milan Michalek
    "Rask comes in and he's as intense a goalie as there is. He's the reason why that's the best goal-tending pair in the league."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the players know something NAS doesn't. The THN player poll rankked Rask as the 4th best goalie in the league, behind Lundqvist, TT, and Rinne. A quote from Milan Michalek "Rask comes in and he's as intense a goalie as there is. He's the reason why that's the best goal-tending pair in the league."
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

I'd say Thomas is.

21. This post has been removed.