No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is????

So let me get this straight.  Tyler Seguin, with all his puck handling ability, passing skill and excellent shot, gets zero time on the power play, all year long.  And Steve Kampfer, who's been a pro for 30 seconds, gets endless first shifts on the powerplay, even after he's shown he can't handle it right now, with constant miscues and turnovers on the PP?

Is that where we're at right now?

Don't get me wrong, I like Kampfer so far, but he's not right to blueline a powerplay, at least at this stage.  He really seems overwhelmed by it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is????

In Response to Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is????:
    [QUOTE]As stated...Kampfer is a D-man. Seguin is a forward. Who you taking out to insert him? His PP time will come as he gets better. 
    Posted by hendy77[/QUOTE]

Kampfer is a D-man, I get it.  But he's out there with Chara for the first minute plus of every power play.  While I won't try to make the case for McQuaid or Ferrence getting PP time over him, I would certainly like to think the lions share of the PP minutes should go to Boychuck and/or Sidenberg ahead of Kampfer right now

Kampfer keeps making mistakes on the PP.  Bad passes, getting either picked off or just passed his team mates and sliding into the neutral zone.  It keeps happening and he hasn't done anything good on the PP to offset those errors either.  So why, with that being the case, is he not only still out there on the PP, but out there the majority of the time over Boychuck and Sidenberg?

It makes no sense to me.   What ever perceived defincies people ASSUME we would have with Seguin playing the half wall are a blatant reality with Kampfer on the blue line.  Yet the former never gets a chance, while the latter has got nothing but, since the jump

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE] What ever perceived defincies people ASSUME we would have with Seguin playing the half wall are a blatant reality with Kampfer on the blue line.  Yet the former never gets a chance, while the latter has got nothing but, since the jump
    Posted by Swearengen[/QUOTE]

Even if we assume Kampfer hasn't looked great on the PP (I disagree, but missed last night's game and half of the Ana game), the paradox you raise can be explained by the fact that Seguin has far more competition for PP time against our top forwards that Kampfer's does against our other d-men, a group that includes no puck moving defensemen.

I agree with giving Boychuk some more time on the first unit, but not Seidenberg...Boychuk can play the point well enough on the PP and Kampfer would be able to go up against the oppositions' second PK unit, which may help his development at this point...the risk is that this may leave us with a blueline of Bergy and Kampfer on the second PP unit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

Fact is, Bruins are still in dire need of a #2 D-man that can skate and pass. Once we get that person, this team will be that much better for it. Seguin's time will come.. just slowly. He is still a very raw talent.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is???? : Even if we assume Kampfer hasn't looked great on the PP (I disagree, but missed last night's game and half of the Ana game), the paradox you raise can be explained by the fact that Seguin has far more competition for PP time against our top forwards that Kampfer's does against our other d-men, a group that includes no puck moving defensemen. I agree with giving Boychuk some more time on the first unit, but not Seidenberg...Boychuk can play the point well enough on the PP and Kampfer would be able to go up against the oppositions' second PK unit, which may help his development at this point...the risk is that this may leave us with a blueline of Bergy and Kampfer on the second PP unit.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

Last night he was pretty bad

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

I agree 100% with Swearengen,,,,,,last night Seguin 12:32minutes Taylor Hall almost 20 minutes ....a young player needs to play more in order to develop ...Seguin is very talented , makes good plays and wiuld get a lot more points if he would play more ....

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

the real question is why Ryder is on the pp and Tyler isn't.

Ryder's skills are best when the play is in motion and he can take that snap shot in traffic and surprise the goalie.  That skill set doesn't lend well to the pp because that situation doesn't happen that often on the pp - because that situation is where the pp gets broken and there is a scramble.

I know Ryder has put in a bunch of pp goals, but anybody who's put in 25g in his career would be scoring on the pp.

Seguin's skill set is built for the pp.

CJ is gutless, he picks on rookies frquently and 90% of the time veterans get a pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from screw-cindy-and-ovie. Show screw-cindy-and-ovie's posts

Id put Seguin in there over Recchi/Ryder

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swearengen. Show Swearengen's posts

Hell, now that I think of it, I could see having Seguin on the Blue Line instead of Kampfer

Lots of teams use an extra skilled forward on the PP, Bruins do it themselves with Bergeron.  So keep doing THAT.  Chara and Bergeron, then roll out Boychuck and Seguin.  Maximize the amount of offensive skill you can have on the ice.  It's not like what they've been doing is working all that great anyway.  

It would be nice to see a a player on that blue line that every once in a while can decide to move his feet and charge straight in with the puck on the PP.  Doing that can create so much havoc for the defense and opens up a lot better chances then the typical rotating the puck along the boards and only coming away with a couple blocked shots from the point, like they've been doing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Hell, now that I think of it, I could see having Seguin on the Blue Line instead of Kampfer Lots of teams use an extra skilled forward on the PP, Bruins do it themselves with Bergeron.  So keep doing THAT.  Chara and Bergeron, then roll out Boychuck and Seguin. Maximize the amount of offensive skill you can have on the ice.  It's not like what they've been doing is working all that great anyway
    Posted by Swearengen[/QUOTE]

That's a really good idea, I wouldn't have Seguin back there, maybe the big Wheel.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] ....a young player needs to play more in order to develop ...
    Posted by StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011[/QUOTE]

If you can navigate your way around his Hart Trophy, his Art Ross Trophy and all of his All-Star jerseys, why don't you ask Joe Thornton about how much ice time a young player needs to develop.  See if you can get to him this season...before he records his 1,000th point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Seguin is 18 freaking years old. Please leave it alone already. He'll get there, but until he does, there are far more experienced and reliable, in CJ's mind anyway, players to turn to.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Badhab, great point about Ryder's effectiveness on the PP vs. the rush. Everyone in the world knows Ryder is only really on the PP to get a pass and launch a shot on goal, so he is easily eliminated by standing near him and blocking a passing lane. Seguin's got a little more diversity to his game, so I'd put him on top of Ryder in terms of the PP depth chart.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I'm not seeing where Kampfer is bad on the PP but Seguin over Ryder is an excellent idea but as I've noticed Julien just doesn't want to give up on Ryder and doesn't like rookies.

Neely and Chiarelli are the only two whom can change the bald headed stubborn coaches mind so they need to take action but for some reason I don't think it will happen unless there is another losing skid then it might be too late for Claude. That would indeed please may posters on here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

There's no rule that says you must have 2 dmen out for the PP... there are times that the Caps use 5 forwards. CJ not using the max Dmen... so scary

While I'm at it - 4 ON 4 he puts Recchi out for the 1st shift ????? Zero sense

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

Everyone here is crazy. You want to replace Ryder on the power play with Seguin? You expect the powerplay to get better when you replace our leading goal scorer with the man advantage with a rookie. If not Ryder you'd put our least defensively responsible forward on the blue line instead of a defencemen who can move the puck. I'm really losing faith in this forum if so many people consider these good ideas.

PP goal scoring leaders                 Month of Dec. PP goal scorers

Ryder     6                                                  Dec. 23  Ryder
           Recchi    4                                                  Dec. 16  Lucic
           Horton    3                                                  Dec. 15 Ryder
           Bergeron 3                                                  Dec. 9   Lucic & Ryder
           Lucic      2                                                  Dec. 7   Recchi
           Chara     2                                                  Dec. 2   Recchi
           Seguin    1                                                  Dec. 1   Bergeron

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]   Everyone here is crazy. You want to replace Ryder on the power play with Seguin? You expect the powerplay to get better when you replace our leading goal scorer with the man advantage with a rookie. If not Ryder you'd put our least defensively responsible forward on the blue line instead of a defencemen who can move the puck. I'm really losing faith in this forum if so many people consider these good ideas. PP goal scoring leaders                           Month of Dec. PP goal scorers        Ryder     6                                                   Dec. 23  Ryder        Recchi    4                                                  Dec. 16  Lucic        Horton    3                                                  Dec. 15 Ryder        Bergeron 3                                                  Dec. 9   Lucic & Ryder        Lucic      2                                                  Dec. 7   Recchi        Chara     2                                                  Dec. 2   Recchi        Seguin    1                                                  Dec. 1   Bergeron
    Posted by captainbergeron[/QUOTE]

I was afraid someone would point out these stats because these stats don't tell the story at all.

Who has Ryder scored those PP goals against this last month?  The Islanders, Buffalo and Atlanta, either push over teams or a blow out game.  And if you look at the goals on the pp, more often than not they are when things gets scrambly, not when the set plays are working.

If you want to looks at stats, look at the most set play of all set plays - the shoot outs.  How has Ryder done on those?  And how has Seguin done?

I'll give in to these arguments for a minute and agree that the set power play guys are fine, but even in that case guys are having off nights, and there are nights where Tyler should be rewarded with PP time, then this argument can go somewhere becase then we can compare apples to apples and compare Seguin against other people on the PP on some basis.

Think about this for a second, you punish the kid by making him sit, but what about rewarding him?

If its children, pets, employees or players, always using the stick and never the carrot isn't the way to go.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

Yeah, based on that kind of logic ...Savard wouldn't be on the PP, and Thornton would.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, based on that kind of logic ...Savard wouldn't be on the PP, and Thornton would.
    Posted by JWensink[/QUOTE]

I don't understand you're post. Why would Thornton qualify for PP time, because he has 7 goals on the season? All the stats I listed were from players who are already on the PP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is???? : I was afraid someone would point out these stats because these stats don't tell the story at all. Who has Ryder scored those PP goals against this last month?  The Islanders, Buffalo and Atlanta, either push over teams or a blow out game.  And if you look at the goals on the pp, more often than not they are when things gets scrambly, not when the set plays are working. If you want to looks at stats, look at the most set play of all set plays - the shoot outs.  How has Ryder done on those?  And how has Seguin done? I'll give in to these arguments for a minute and agree that the set power play guys are fine, but even in that case guys are having off nights, and there are nights where Tyler should be rewarded with PP time, then this argument can go somewhere becase then we can compare apples to apples and compare Seguin against other people on the PP on some basis. Think about this for a second, you punish the kid by making him sit, but what about rewarding him? If its children, pets, employees or players, always using the stick and never the carrot isn't the way to go.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I believe Seguin has been rewarded, by being promoted to the second scoring line. Just as Krejci is being punished for his lack of production lately, by a demotion to the third line.

You can't compare Ryder's success on the PP to his inability to score in the SO. There two different things, one relying on individual skills and the other on team work. Ryder is shooter not a finesse styled goal scorer. His skill set is not suited for the SO. I don't know why CJ keeps sending him out. He is at home on the PP play were he can sit either in front for tips our slide to the top of the circle for one timer shots.

Seguin position on the PP is the half-wall were he can pass or carry it in for a shot. I can see sliding Seguin in there for a game or two, but in my opinion the PP is more consistent when all the players know each other and continuously adding and removing players messes with the chemistry. CJ needs to find something that works with or without Seguin and leave it alone.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is???? :    I believe Seguin has been rewarded, by being promoted to the second scoring line. Just as Krejci is being punished for his lack of production lately, by a demotion to the third line.    You can't compare Ryder's success on the PP to his inability to score in the SO. There two different things, one relying on individual skills and the other on team work. Ryder is shooter not a finesse styled goal scorer. His skill set is not suited for the SO. I don't know why CJ keeps sending him out. He is at home on the PP play were he can sit either in front for tips our slide to the top of the circle for one timer shots.    Seguin position on the PP is the half-wall were he can pass or carry it in for a shot. I can see sliding Seguin in there for a game or two, but in my opinion the PP is more consistent when all the players know each other and continuously adding and removing players messes with the chemistry. CJ needs to find something that works with or without Seguin and leave it alone.

OK, I'm with you, but if Seguin doesn't get the PP time he won't get the chemistry.
    OK, the SO example is a stretch.

I will bet that if you had guys taking one timers in front and had an accuracey contest Seguin would probably be the best one on the whole team.  His passing is almost at the Savard level.  I think Seguin is built for the PP.

Seguin is not getting the experience.  As CJ said, it won't kill him to sit in the press box for a game or two.  I ask this, will it kill the team to put him on the PP when you're ahead by 3 goals?

This kid MUST get more ice time.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Seguin on the PP......but Kampfer is???? :    I don't understand you're post. Why would Thornton qualify for PP time, because he has 7 goals on the season? All the stats I listed were from players who are already on the PP.

Because based on stats he would be considered, we both know that's absurd. I like guys who are "nifty" with the puck on their stick and just have that knack for being able to make creative plays that keep the defense running around. I love Ryders shot, but not much else to offer. Seguin's skill set is made for the PP...There's only one way to find out. Don't worry though CJ won't be playing any gifted offensive rookie on the PP anytime soon.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I suspect now that Boychuk is getting his game back he will take Kampfer's place on the PP. It shows our lack of a defensemen that can handle the puck.

I'd honestly would take Chara off the point where his shot always gets blocked or misses the net and put him in front of the goalie. I can't remember who they were playing where he was stationed there in the last minutes with the goalie pulled, but in the post game interviews he was saying he enjoys being there fighting with the other players for position.

I'd try these lines:

PP Unit 1  
    Have Chara in front of the net,  Lucic and Boychuk/Kampfer on the Blueline, Savard on the half-wall and Horton at the top of the circle for shots

PP Unit 2
    Have Recchi in front of the net, Bergeron and Seidenberg on the Blueline, Krejci/Seguin on the half-wall and Ryder at the top of the circle for shots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]   I suspect now that Boychuk is getting his game back he will take Kampfer's place on the PP. It shows our lack of a defensemen that can handle the puck.    I'd honestly would take Chara off the point where his shot always gets blocked or misses the net and put him in front of the goalie. I can't remember who they were playing where he was stationed there in the last minutes with the goalie pulled, but in the post game interviews he was saying he enjoys being there fighting with the other players for position. I'd try these lines: PP Unit 1   Have Chara in front of the net,  Lucic and Boychuk/Kampfer on the Blueline, Savard on the half-wall and Horton at the top of the circle for shots PP Unit 2 Have Recchi in front of the net, Bergeron and Seidenberg on the Blueline, Krejci/Seguin on the half-wall and Ryder at the top of the circle for shots.
    I'm just not sure Lucic  has the skill set to play point on the PP.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from captainbergeron. Show captainbergeron's posts

I realise that, but I didn't want to leave Lucic out. Maybe throw him down in front as well and leave Boychuk/Kampfer on the Blueline alone. I'm no coach I was just throwing an idea out there.

Sections
Shortcuts