No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic

Sabres announcer Rick Jeannerett nearly blew a nut when Lucic hit Miller. It was hilarious, made it sound like one of the most heinous acts ever comitted in a hockey game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

Did he sound anything like New Jack City screaming "Get up!!!" to the Habs last year?  lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from blydon75. Show blydon75's posts

Can anyone produce a previous suspension for running a goalie after racing for the puck?  Why is the rest of the league treating this like its the first time a goalie has been run over?  I've said in a previous thread, Lucic chose not get out of the way of the collision, he did not commit a "seek and destroy" mission. He raced for the puck, looked up and noticed he wasn't going to win the race, and decided not to avoid the contact.  2-miniute penalty?  YES! Deserved getting his a** kicked by the Sabres?  YES! (even though they turtled like the Bruins did after the Cooke-Savard incident) Making sure Thomas and Rask have their head on a swivel during future games against the Sabres?  YES Suspended or even called for a hearing and be villified by jealous fans from MONTREAL, VANCOUVER, or TORONTO???  Absolutely NOT!  Seriously, I reiterate, show me precedent that a guy got suspended for running into the goalie after a race for the puck that didn't involve a stick to the neck or something outrageous like that?  I'm not saying it has never happened, but I can not recall it happening, though I do recall seeing hundreds of goalies getting plastered in a similar fashion over my 40 years of watching hockey.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

So typical.  I make a point, back it up, and all I hear back are comments about "yah, we won the Cup", "biting", "sisters", etc. etc.

That's getting old guys, you need to come up with new material.

I've read some objective comments here, but a lot of the rest reminds me a lot of the GWB Patriotism Campaign leading up to Iraq v.2.0.  Blind faith is a dangerous thing (well, not really all that dangerous when we're talking about a hockey team's fan base).  By "dangerous", I mean that blind faith prevents critical thinking -- it results in complete acceptance of statements like "I didn't have time to turn away, and all I could do was brace for the collision".  It results in ignoring everyone who says anything contrary to your view, or calling them "losers" or "whiners", clearly stating that their views are inferior, even when you are in the minority.

Fanaticism breeds blind faith.  It takes an earth-changing occurance to shake it (see Penn State).  Being a fan is a great thing, especially when your team wins a championship.  Believing that everything they do is right, and that they are always occupying the moral high ground, however, is wrong.

Last June, I was guilty of the same thing, rationalizing the actions of Burrows and Rome.  I admit that I am embarrassed about some of my posts back then.  Seeing things five months later brings clarity and perspective. 

Perhaps, in time, some of you will realize that Lucic was in the wrong, and that an effort to protect goalies is not a bad thing, and does not show weakness.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

49-North:
    Some of the insults, per se, stem from the same group of fans complaining about the Bruins.  It gets old when fans cry for someones arrest, unwarranted suspensions, etc.  What Lucic did was wrong in the context of "rules within rules".  He deserved a penalty and got one. The Sabres should have taken a run at either he or Tim Thomas later in the game.  That is one of those unwritten rules, "dont F with my goalie". I dont think Lucic meant to hurt Miller as someone else said, but I also dont think he let up, nor do I think he should have.  Miller took the risk going so far out to play the cup. The same way Thomas takes a risk when he plays so aggressive outside the crease, sometimes he gets knocked over..etc.
    But in no way should Lucic be suspended for that action, and no way does it warrant the league revisiting the rules.
    Do you know who would benefit most from more calls of goalie interference? The Bruins! Thomas plays outside the crease more than any other goalie...so this rule would help them most...so I say...go for it!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic:
    [QUOTE]So typical.  I make a point, back it up, and all I hear back are comments about "yah, we won the Cup", "biting", "sisters", etc. etc. That's getting old guys, you need to come up with new material. I've read some objective comments here, but a lot of the rest reminds me a lot of the GWB Patriotism Campaign leading up to Iraq v.2.0.  Blind faith is a dangerous thing (well, not really all that dangerous when we're talking about a hockey team's fan base).  By "dangerous", I mean that blind faith prevents critical thinking -- it results in complete acceptance of statements like "I didn't have time to turn away, and all I could do was brace for the collision".  It results in ignoring everyone who says anything contrary to your view, or calling them "losers" or "whiners", clearly stating that their views are inferior, even when you are in the minority. Fanaticism breeds blind faith.  It takes an earth-changing occurance to shake it (see Penn State).  Being a fan is a great thing, especially when your team wins a championship.  Believing that everything they do is right, and that they are always occupying the moral high ground, however, is wrong. Last June, I was guilty of the same thing, rationalizing the actions of Burrows and Rome.  I admit that I am embarrassed about some of my posts back then.  Seeing things five months later brings clarity and perspective.  Perhaps, in time, some of you will realize that Lucic was in the wrong, and that an effort to protect goalies is not a bad thing, and does not show weakness.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]
    See that's the problem. You didn't back up anything. Citing a poll from a magazine that has a mostly Canadian readership proves nothing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : See that's the problem. You didn't back up anything. Citing a poll from a magazine that has a mostly Canadian readership proves nothing.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Geez, man!  It's a HOCKEY magazine!  I'd love to help them out by getting more subscribers in the States, but it's not my fault if Canadians, as a group, feel more strongly about hockey than Americans!  What it proves -- is that people who watch hockey, are interested in hockey, and care about the game think that the offense warranted a suspension.  It doesn't matter where they live.

I checked, but Newsweek wasn't running a "Do you think Lucic deserved a suspension" poll.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]So typical.  I make a point, back it up, and all I hear back are comments about "yah, we won the Cup", "biting", "sisters", etc. etc. That's getting old guys, you need to come up with new material. I've read some objective comments here, but a lot of the rest reminds me a lot of the GWB Patriotism Campaign leading up to Iraq v.2.0.  Blind faith is a dangerous thing (well, not really all that dangerous when we're talking about a hockey team's fan base).  By "dangerous", I mean that blind faith prevents critical thinking -- it results in complete acceptance of statements like "I didn't have time to turn away, and all I could do was brace for the collision".  It results in ignoring everyone who says anything contrary to your view, or calling them "losers" or "whiners", clearly stating that their views are inferior, even when you are in the minority. Fanaticism breeds blind faith.  It takes an earth-changing occurance to shake it (see Penn State).  Being a fan is a great thing, especially when your team wins a championship.  Believing that everything they do is right, and that they are always occupying the moral high ground, however, is wrong. Last June, I was guilty of the same thing, rationalizing the actions of Burrows and Rome.  I admit that I am embarrassed about some of my posts back then.  Seeing things five months later brings clarity and perspective.  Perhaps, in time, some of you will realize that Lucic was in the wrong, and that an effort to protect goalies is not a bad thing, and does not show weakness.

A couple quick points 49:

1. Very few people here are arguing whether or not "Lucic was in the wrong".  He was.  He was penalized for it.  That hit/collision however, does not deserve a suspension based on every precendent we have seen and basic common sense.  Ask Brodeur.  Lucic deserves punishment from the Sabres, not the league.

2.Quit bringing up politics here.  Seriously, that is something only the weakest members of this forum resort to.  This is a hockey forum, and your thoughts on the Iraq War are of no interest to anyone here.  Accusing people here of "blind faith" when you don't know a single one of us??  You're sinking below troll status now.

3. Vancouver takes every opportunity to get a shot in against Boston these days.  You're just falling in line.  All that from the same people who stuck up for Todd Bertuzzi...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misterpaulo. Show misterpaulo's posts

That's getting old guys, you need to come up with new material.

Your presence here...while getting old is pretty much the most enjoyable element of this board.  I mean what a glutton for punishment you are 49th.  Either that or you just need to be around a fan base that has won something.  If the Bruins interest you so much just jump out of that closet and join us.  Stop cheering for that collection of excuse making losers and rid yourself of the shame that is the Canucks.  I mean seriously 49th.  Your team is basically the western habs and there is really nothing more insulting in the game of hockey than that.  Be done with it all and join a fan base that cheers for a hockey team consisting of men.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]49-North: Some of the insults, per se, stem from the same group of fans complaining about the Bruins.  It gets old when fans cry for someones arrest, unwarranted suspensions, etc.  What Lucic did was wrong in the context of "rules within rules".  He deserved a penalty and got one. The Sabres should have taken a run at either he or Tim Thomas later in the game.  That is one of those unwritten rules, "dont F with my goalie". I dont think Lucic meant to hurt Miller as someone else said, but I also dont think he let up, nor do I think he should have.  Miller took the risk going so far out to play the cup. The same way Thomas takes a risk when he plays so aggressive outside the crease, sometimes he gets knocked over..etc. But in no way should Lucic be suspended for that action, and no way does it warrant the league revisiting the rules. Do you know who would benefit most from more calls of goalie interference? The Bruins! Thomas plays outside the crease more than any other goalie...so this rule would help them most...so I say...go for it!
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

^^^This.
    He ran him, it was a penalty. We all agree about that.  Looch should have had to answer, we again all agree. But all the whining about a supension is just nonsense. I also agree that you don't hear about Philly, Rangers or Detroit fans getting their panties in a bunch about it. Just Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal fans. Burrows has NO credibility when it come to suspendable offenses. If Kesler ran Thomas, he'd have to answer for it on the ice, not in the principle's office.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

I think maybe you can give some of your grapes to the sisters, because it takes grapes to hang around in enemy territory & give the jabs back. I have no idea why you would even bother trying to win this. I was the first to tell you that no matter how right you maybe, you won't win a thing in here. Matter of fact I was one of the minority that wanted Lucic suspended, BUT when I hear a Canucks fan come on here & attack my fellow Bruin brother's & sister's! FREAK YOU!! Get the Freak outta here you MORON!! You have NO business coming on here & talking down about ANY PLAYER when you cheer for the shameful team that claims to be Canada's city! NOW THAT'S FUNNY!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : Geez, man!  It's a HOCKEY magazine!  I'd love to help them out by getting more subscribers in the States, but it's not my fault if Canadians, as a group, feel more strongly about hockey than Americans!  What it proves -- is that people who watch hockey, are interested in hockey, and care about the game think that the offense warranted a suspension.  It doesn't matter where they live. I checked, but Newsweek wasn't running a "Do you think Lucic deserved a suspension" poll.
    What's funny is you presenting this info as if it's actual proof of something. HNIC is probably the most watched hockey program in the world. Does that mean it's true when Glen Healy claims Van would've won the Cup if the refs did a better job? I saw a poll in the Boston Herald that said Lucic didn't deserve a suspension. What makes your "proof" more meaningful than mine. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that a poll can be skewed to show whatever the poll-taker wants it to. I can see where that concept would be beyond you.
    Hedberg and Brodeur both said Miller needs to take some responsibility and be aware of where he is on the ice. Hedberg went as far as to say a player "needs to respect the game and not rely on the rulebook to take care of you"........I suppose you think a Hockey News poll holds the same weight as the opinions of actual NHL goaltenders..........I hate doing it but I'm left with little choice but to call you an imbecile. I honestly don't know how you manage to use a computer let alone get yourself dressed and fed each day. Bravo to you for working past your obvious disabilities.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

This post nailed it. Miller has been playing like he's been concussed all season and is being outplayed by his backup, and he was pissed that his team didn't respond. Buffalo could be giving his a rest at this point.

n Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic:
    [QUOTE]I find it interesting that Miller got a concussion from that hit, yet still continued to play and didnt get pulled until the B's lit him up for another goal or two.  And he was SO ill from his concussion that he still had time to insult Lucic in an interview AFTER the game.  And yes he was still too sick from his boo boo to do another interview the following day.  Miller had struggled for 3 games prior to the B's game.  Sounds to me like a perfect time to give Miller a break and accuse a conference rival of headhunting at the same time.  I dont recall Horton or Savard being able to sit in a lit room after their hits, much less conduct interviews about their cookie being hurt. 
    Posted by slicksteve38[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattbs. Show mattbs's posts

Kerry Fraser???? hahaha that guy was the biggest habs homer of the century.  He gave more habs powerplays in the final two minutes of a game then there are whining habs fans... To much hair spray in is eyes I guess....

QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : In this story, SI's Stu Hackel cites the tsn.ca poll: http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/11/15/shanahans-lucic-ruling-rings-hollow-to-many/?sct=nhl_t2_a4 In this one, Kerry Fraser says why he disagrees with Shanny: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380468 This is the story about the NHL GMs: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380505

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from biggskye. Show biggskye's posts

WE actually agree that LUCIC was in the wrong, and he served his penalty for it.
    YOU keep trying to make it worse than it was. For your proof, you offer biased opinions of other teams' fans.
    OUR proof is that THE LEAGUE agrees with us, and chose not to suspend him.
    CASE CLOSED!
    You are the one that continues to beat a dead horse.
    I had no problem with you, when you stuck around after the playoffs. The regular posters on this board, like NAS, BOOK, CHOWDAH, DEZ, NITE, and about a dozen others, are well worth the time invested in participating on this board.
    I even tolerated you sticking up for the Canucks.
    However, if you plan on making yourself out to be the "conscience" of this board, you will be joining a long list of, shall we say, "non-skating clowns" on my ignore list.
    I do not need a fan from another team, telling me what I should be thinking, about the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chef09. Show Chef09's posts

Most call in polls and internet polls suffer from the fact that usually only people who have a strong opinion one way or the other respond, So really angry about the issue.You then don't get the opinion of those who could see it go either way or just don't care. Another problem: the Social desirability bias (people want to answer the way they feel most public opinion is leading). Hockey is so "over-covered" by the abundance of media outlets today that people have been sensitized to believe that all close or questionable calls should be reviewed and then result in a suspension.The press feel a need to latch onto any story that is beyond the typically mundane just to grab a few more viewers.What Shanny thinks is all that counts at the end of the day (so long as he still has his job). Perhaps Lucic could have had a double minor or a major and the refs are probably being coached on this type of call as we speak. Question: do we give bigger penalties or suspensions because they are warranted or to head off/appease public opinion? As far as 49 North goes: what did you expect people, you let him hang around here and yap while we were all drunk on Stanley Cup Champagne. Now he's gone contrary like a yappy chiwawa.I live in the Vancouver area and they still think they were swindled out of a cup,but I guess now that he's come around and saw the error of his ways it's okay for him to be our hockey moral compass . . . .pleeaase

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : What's funny is you presenting this info as if it's actual proof of something. HNIC is probably the most watched hockey program in the world. Does that mean it's true when Glen Healy claims Van would've won the Cup if the refs did a better job? I saw a poll in the Boston Herald that said Lucic didn't deserve a suspension. What makes your "proof" more meaningful than mine. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that a poll can be skewed to show whatever the poll-taker wants it to. I can see where that concept would be beyond you. Hedberg and Brodeur both said Miller needs to take some responsibility and be aware of where he is on the ice. Hedberg went as far as to say a player "needs to respect the game and not rely on the rulebook to take care of you"........I suppose you think a Hockey News poll holds the same weight as the opinions of actual NHL goaltenders..........I hate doing it but I'm left with little choice but to call you an imbecile. I honestly don't know how you manage to use a computer let alone get yourself dressed and fed each day. Bravo to you for working past your obvious disabilities.

So disappointing, dez.  I had held you in reasonable regard for your opinions, but this is a really poor effort.  I hope that you will be able to get beyond your obvious issues with your perception of disabled people, and that you will one day learn to treat people equally.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : So disappointing, dez.  I had held you in reasonable regard for your opinions, but this is a really poor effort.  I hope that you will be able to get beyond your obvious issues with your perception of disabled people, and that you will one day learn to treat people equally.
    The fact that I spent my childhood working past a learning disability gives me the right to make jokes about a clown like you without having to feel guilty about it. Speaking of poor efforts, your attempt to skirt the issue at hand is laughable (yet not at all surprising).
    BTW, I've never held any regard for your opinion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : The fact that I spent my childhood working past a learning disability gives me the right to make jokes about a clown like you without having to feel guilty about it. Speaking of poor efforts, your attempt to skirt the issue at hand is laughable (yet not at all surprising). BTW, I've never held any regard for your opinion.

I also have a couple of cousins who have learning disabilities, so I take comments like that personally.  The fact that you would stoop to a shot like that, when my aggregious sin was... disagreeing with you on Lucic?  Do you take all opinions contrary to yours so personally?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : I also have a couple of cousins who have learning disabilities, so I take comments like that personally.  The fact that you would stoop to a shot like that, when my aggregious sin was... disagreeing with you on Lucic?  Do you take all opinions contrary to yours so personally?
    No he doesn't. Just when it comes from lame ash Canuck fans who should be spending his time talking down about the B's on a Canuck forum!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : I also have a couple of cousins who have learning disabilities, so I take comments like that personally.  The fact that you would stoop to a shot like that, when my aggregious sin was... disagreeing with you on Lucic?  Do you take all opinions contrary to yours so personally?

Your the one stoopping to a new low and makeing false and stupid accusation on dez. You have worn out your welcome on this board. Your real pain comes from dez absolutly owning you in any debate but lets face it you vs dez its like your bringing a knife to a gun fight and dez has the gun. The real issue you have is the boston bruins beat the canucks for the 2011 stanley cup bitter much?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

Stop with your political and military analogies...you make yourself seem even more ridiculous. Not cleaver, not original...I and many like me have sacrificed so you can enjoy your brand of freedom of speech.
    Where and how long did YOU serve? Stick to hockey...
    Doc

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I'm sorry that your cousins have such a pansy for a relative. Who would I be offending if I refer to you as the obvious simpleton that you are? Do you have an aunt or uncle that's a simpleton or are you the lone wolf of the family? "Stoop to a shot like that"...........even the Canucks fans won't man up. No surprise I suppose.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Surprise - Canucks Crying Over Lucic : I'm sorry that your cousins have such a pansy for a relative. Who would I be offending if I refer to you as the obvious simpleton that you are? Do you have an aunt or uncle that's a simpleton or are you the lone wolf of the family? "Stoop to a shot like that"...........even the Canucks fans won't man up. No surprise I suppose.

It seems this nucks fan has been ruined by trying to take after his team poor guy

25. This post has been removed.