No Suspension For Weber!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

No Suspension For Weber!!

As expected, Weber will not be suspended. As reported by Sportsnet, he was fined $2500.00 by the league. Let's here everybody's thoughts......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: No Suspension For Weber!!

I dont think it deserved a suspension. Penalty yes, fine, sure, but no suspension.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I thought the fine could heavier. $5k maybe more. No suspension warranted IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

Come on. $2,500. Not even a slap on the wrist. 

Since it was after the game, there is no penalty for the play. This is a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In Response to Re: No Suspension For Weber!!:
    [QUOTE]I dont think it deserved a suspension. Penalty yes, fine, sure, but no suspension.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on this one Kel.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Double standard, much lesser hits were suspended during the season.

Injuries play a bigger part than intent to injure making it so the teams that complain get what they want. If Detroit claimed that Zetterberg had a minor concussion, then it probably would have been a suspension. 

Shanahan is a joke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dalexander2424. Show dalexander2424's posts

[QUOTE]Double standard, much lesser hits were suspended during the season. Injuries play a bigger part than intent to injure making it so the teams that complain get what they want. If Detroit claimed that Zetterberg had a minor concussion, then it probably would have been a suspension.  Shanahan is a joke.
    Posted by nrguy[/QUOTE]
    Of course much lesser hits were suspended in the regular season. THIS IS THE PLAYOFFS! People get bumps and bruises. It's nasty. If you can't stomach it, basketball's still on. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Chara does that to Ovechkin? 2-3 games, easy. Ridiculously biased ruling underlining the double standards in this idiots decisions.

The whole injury influencing the decision is BS as well. Someone could shoot a gun at me and miss so I'm not injured, but does that mean they shouldn't be punished? WTH?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I thought the fine could heavier. $5k maybe more. No suspension warranted IMO.
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

Maximum fine allowed was $2500; it couldnt be any higher.

He let him off, even though he was fined earlier this year, because Zetterberg wasn't injured.  An absolute joke.  No wonder players don't respect each other any more.

Shannahan has no credibility any more re: head injuries, and now everyone will have to lay down like in soccer to get proper penalties.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

I don't care that his helmet was on. Shanahan got this one wrong. The act was malicious and retaliatory.  If a similar incident were to occur to a player whose head is at a wrong angle or is without a visor, then it could cause some serious facial/head injuries.   There is no way a player who does this act can discern head angle/type of helmet that quickly in the heat of the moment, thus a stiffer penalty should be assessed.   My hunch is that Shanahan considered the lack of injury to Zetteburg and playoff implication too heavily, and not the act itself.  Also, like the Marchand incident, there was an event that preceded the penalty that caused Weber to deliberately go after Zetteburg and possible intent to injure.   At least a 1 game suspension should have been in order.    Unfortuanately, Shanahan and Co. have now set precedent that it will be a slap on the wrist to turnbuckle someone's head into the boards.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think Sahanhan got this one right, up until he made the Lucic/body of work argument on Shea Weber.  He implies pretty clearly that Weber could still be punished for this if there is another incident.  That logic is dumb.  Stick to the rulebook Shanny.  Either the hit was worthy of a suspension or it wasn't.  You decided that it wasn't.  Stick to your guns and don't try to pay some retroactive debt in a month if Weber throws a dirty hit. 

Judge each hit on the merits of that hit, not on the current media feelings, coach/GM preferences, opinions from around the league, or some sense of past debts.  That's Shanny's job -- block out all of the noise and make clear and consistent rulings.

He got this right, now leave it in the past.  Weber shouldn't be on probation.  Neither should've Lucic or Marchand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Suspension For Weber!! : Maximum fine allowed was $2500; it couldnt be any higher. He let him off, even though he was fined earlier this year, because Zetterberg wasn't injured.  An absolute joke.  No wonder players don't respect each other any more. Shannahan has no credibility any more re: head injuries, and now everyone will have to lay down like in soccer to get proper penalties.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

I have to plead ignorance on fines. Why is $2500 the max?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Suspension For Weber!! : I have to plead ignorance on fines. Why is $2500 the max?
    Posted by WalkTheLine[/QUOTE]

The players union somehow got that into the CBA.  What a joke.  That's like my men's league making me hand over a coupon for 30 cents off Shake n' Bake for a dirty hit.  Not much of a deterrant.

I would love to see bigger fines, and have the league use fines for diving calls after the games (too hard for refs to call it on the ice).  Kesler would be broke this morning...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Fletch is right fines are too low and a better way to curve behavior than even suspensions in my mind. I am probably crazy for thinking this and yes it was terrible that he slammed the guys head against the board BUT which is harder?:

A. Having him skate nine times and checking his head into the boards?

B. Grabbing the back of the head and hitting it in to the boards?

On severity of chance of injury not maliciousness this was pretty inoxious compared to a lot of other head shots I saw so I agree suspension would not be warranted. But that begs the question is biting someones finger a suspendable offense. 

Where does all this lead? Intent to injure, maliciousness, or potential for injury. Are they viewed seperately or together. Who the he double hockey sticks knows. So you have to use your gut. Is that how Shanny approaches it?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PINEwarmer. Show PINEwarmer's posts

Shan-wow continues his capricious, whimsical, and fickle judgement of suspendable offenses into the post season. Still betting the player's union seeks some other means to determine judgements in these incidents or an appeals process for players deemed suspendable by the man "behing the curtain."

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Note to Bruins players: Keep your heads up tonight. The cost of smashing your head into the glass from behind is only $2500.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Note to Bruins players : Keep your heads up tonight. The cost of smashing your head into the glass from behind is only $2500.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Note to Jay Wall:  No one got their head smashed.  It was a push at best.

A face wash is more dangerous than this play.  Someone truly could hurt an eye from a face wash.  A pushed helmeted head is, as you can see from zero injury, is as harmless as a noogie.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I didnt think his face actually even hit the glass. Didn't stop him from going down like it did though.And actually, i thought Zetterbergs hit was more dangerous. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Looks to me like Weber took matter into his own hands much like Ference did on Torres.Good for him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I didnt think his face actually even hit the glass. Didn't stop him from going down like it did though.
    Me neither. I thought Zetterberg had his hands between the glass and his face.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Weber is a star-player on an American based hockey team that exists in a southern market that desperately needs to develop its fan-base and generate profit and hype from a decent playoff run. (just like the B's did last season) Not only does the team need Weber to win the series, the market and NBC needs Weber to survive long-term. Bitz is a journeyman on a Canadian based team that exists in a hockey-crazed market. The team has built-up a war-chest from consecutive sell-outs and playoff runs. They do not need playoff success to remain financially successful in the long-term.  Although a good addition, the Canucks don't need Bitz to win (although he helps pushback the LA's punks), and the market does not need Bitz to survive. Although Canadian's can tune into Americas NBC, it is clearly American focused TV through and through. It's not that the NHL of today or Gary Bettman hates Canada, it's simply that the main motivator of our capitalist economy, the ceaseless accumulation of profit, requires that American teams, particularly those in struggling southern markets, are given an advantage. Ever notice how rules change throughout a single game and throughout the entire season? Ever notice how the NHL bans Officiating personnel from discussing their bizarre calls and non calls ...absolutely no accountability for their constant game changing actions and during the playoffs, no consistency from one game to next. There are many tools used by this private entertaiment corporation to manage the games, not guarantee an outcome, but rather to massage one instead. Nothing personal, just business.   The Refs can Make you or Break you
    Posted by null[/QUOTE]

Were the Atlanta Thrashers given an advantage this year?

Oh, thats right, they moved to Winnipeg.

Beating on you is just too easy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No Suspension For Weber!! : Were the Atlanta Thrashers given an advantage this year? Oh, thats right, they moved to Winnipeg. Beating on you is just too easy.

One of the worst things about you consistently chatting with the trolls is that those of us who have them hidden will need to put you on ignore to completely avoid what trolls have to say.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

ignore ignore ignore. the only troll repellent there is.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Null on ignore, fellow posters are right.

Besides, you can only beat on someone so much, that would be like coming on here and posting the same thing over and over. That would be just pathetic.

Sections
Shortcuts