Nobody wants a 40 yr old goalie who took a year off?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Nobody wants a 40 yr old goalie who took a year off?

According to SI:  http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/24/options-for-nhl-free-agent-tim-thomas-fall-between-slim-and-none/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

NAS will be so pleased about the Panthers suggestion.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Nobody wants a 40 yr old goalie who took a year off?

Its also bc most teams have their goalies locked up and there is nearly zero of a market.  see bernier trade.  See loungo non trade.  See no bryz, TT.  Most teams are set in net.  

Hmmm two goalie threads.  Me thinks you are baiting.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

PS.  Still some very good ufas available.  If calgary were smart they would sign a bunch of these guys.  Then deal at deadline.   Dallas has been doing it for a few yrs now.  

TT in nyi land would be a smart landing spot.  Calgary is gonna stink out the joint.  I think he knows this.   i think he will sign somewhere.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

PS.  Still some very good ufas available.  If calgary were smart they would sign a bunch of these guys.  Then deal at deadline.   Dallas has been doing it for a few yrs now.  

TT in nyi land would be a smart landing spot.  Calgary is gonna stink out the joint.  I think he knows this.   i think he will sign somewhere.  

shupe, wouldn't you think Calgary would be the prime team for Thomas?  They have Ramo and...is it Joey Macdonald?  Kiprusoff's retired.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

as I said on the other thread, Olympic team doesn't want him either

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=428207

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

[QUOTE]

TT in nyi land would be a smart landing spot.  Calgary is gonna stink out the joint.  I think he knows this.   i think he will sign somewhere.  

shupe, wouldn't you think Calgary would be the prime team for Thomas?  They have Ramo and...is it Joey Macdonald?  Kiprusoff's retired.

[/QUOTE]

Only bc the options are very limited.  If he goes there and lays an egg hes done.  I think he will find the perfect team.  To me.  The NYI are an up and coming team that are going to be even better this year.  He may not start there but he could get a rask like season in then sign for 10 million over 30 yrs.  sorry. No more.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

Considering his inactivity at the NHL level over the past year, BH I would have been surprised if he were included among or instead of any of the U. S. goaltending invitees.  Would you?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Only bc the options are very limited.  If he goes there and lays an egg hes done.  I think he will find the perfect team.  To me.  The NYI are an up and coming team that are going to be even better this year.  He may not start there but he could get a rask like season in then sign for 10 million over 30 yrs.  sorry. No more.  

In light of DiPietro's deal with the Isles this would not be unprecedented.  (I kid.)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

Only bc the options are very limited.  If he goes there and lays an egg hes done.  I think he will find the perfect team.  To me.  The NYI are an up and coming team that are going to be even better this year.  He may not start there but he could get a rask like season in then sign for 10 million over 30 yrs.  sorry. No more.  

In light of DiPietro's deal with the Isles this would not be unprecedented.  (I kid.)

[/QUOTE]

Haha.  I would argue saying his numbers back this type of deal.  

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

At this point he might just wait to see if a goalie goes down with an injury. I bet he's had some inivitations to some teams camps but is looking for something more.

Edmonton would seem like the best fit right now. Young team, added some defense, alot of talent up front and nobody in Edmonton is going to care about his american political beliefs or rants.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

FYI Badhab. David Poile said 2 or 3 days ago that if Thomas comes back & plays well for whatever team that may be. He wouldn't hesitate for a second to bringing him on board. He said taking a yr off at almost 40 is difficult, but he said it's no different than if he was injured & couldn't play. If he plays & shows that he's still part of that elite group he'll certainly get a lot of consideration. So it has NOTHING to do with the fact they don't want him! So stop with stupid assumptions & get your facts straight! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"If calgary were smart they would sign a bunch of these guys"

There are so many thoughts swirling...

I think Thomas gets signed or gets a call due to injury or terrible goaltending 20 games in. He will be on a team by the end of the year.

Would Thomas sign with an independent AHL team that doesn't have a affiliation with an NHL team just to play and then hope for a signing later ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Are you kidding me?  I would be THRILLED!!!  While the guy is clearly missing a few more screws than the normal weirdo goalie, Thomas was amazing for the Bruins.  Yeah, he left a year before his contract was up and used social media and the White House to make odd statements.  Big deal.  It's not like he drove a buddy down a dark road and executed him.

Let me tell you something about Tim Thomas in case some of you have forgotten:  As the goaltender for the Boston Bruins, this guy was a God.  Forget the stupid off-ice stuff.  I'm talking about stopping the puck and winning games.  G-O-D.

Florida is hard to go to more often than not.  When you go to a team enough times, even if you don't want to, you sort of become a fan anyway.  You pull for some guys, get excited for things that happen, join the crowd in cheering etc.  That's how it goes (unless your real team is in town).  The Panthers rot the bottom rung so badly, it's hard walking in thinking, "Oh boy.  Another beating awaits."  Every.  Damn.  Night.

If Thomas were to come down here (I've arrived in permanence!) and play 30 games, I'm be beside myself with happiness.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Beat it Panther troll!

LoL

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

According to SI:  http://nhl.si.com/2013/07/24/options-for-nhl-free-agent-tim-thomas-fall-between-slim-and-none/?sct=hp_t2_a7&eref=sihp

Are you kidding me?  I would be THRILLED!!!  While the guy is clearly missing a few more screws than the normal weirdo goalie, Thomas was amazing for the Bruins.  Yeah, he left a year before his contract was up and used social media and the White House to make odd statements.  Big deal.  It's not like he drove a buddy down a dark road and executed him.

Let me tell you something about Tim Thomas in case some of you have forgotten:  As the goaltender for the Boston Bruins, this guy was a God.  Forget the stupid off-ice stuff.  I'm talking about stopping the puck and winning games.  G-O-D.

Florida is hard to go to more often than not.  When you go to a team enough times, even if you don't want to, you sort of become a fan anyway.  You pull for some guys, get excited for things that happen, join the crowd in cheering etc.  That's how it goes (unless your real team is in town).  The Panthers rot the bottom rung so badly, it's hard walking in thinking, "Oh boy.  Another beating awaits."  Every.  Damn.  Night.

If Thomas were to come down here (I've arrived in permanence!) and play 30 games, I'm be beside myself with happiness.

[/QUOTE]

Darn right.   Then the panthers deal him for a pick at deadline.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I'm surprised there hasn't been more conjecture regarding the asking price in the attached article.  Appears for now, TT is in fact looking for the financial home run.(see Nathan Horton taking a different road).  Of course Edmonton would like to have him....so would Florida....but on July 20something, who's gonna pay that kind of freight for an almost 40 year old tender who hasn't played in a year?

There's only one way Thomas doesn't play in the NHL next year.  Because he chooses not to....demands too much.  He'll get offers.  If he figures he's worth 5 plus...maybe he's done, but assuming he wouldn't be prized by multiple teams at 1.8 is retarded.  Sgning TT(or any FA)is really only about risk.  Remove a decent amount of that...it's a no brainer.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

Completely agree.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

SAD !

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011 & 4 more Cups by 2020

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The fact TT adorns my "space" with the Cup raised above his head, he is what he was.  He was spectatular when it counted, terrific plays circa 2011.  Now with CJ and Cedfano on defense the Bs also made TT in 2011.  Team first is my thought, and you may have lost that verve in 2012. I have been on record on saying that Yoga only goes so far, you are no Hasek Mr. TT.  The road you take is a road you chose.  I only remark that you are a sports hero, ego tripping is damning in any field or endeavor.  Thanks for 2011.  I am a Bs fan first.  Good luck.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Yeah, I don't think Thomas is looking for a handout here.  I don't think he's out there looking for camp invites.  Of course someone would invite him - the Bruins invited Pandolpho, so....  But he seems to expect that he'll be the same TT he was when he walked away, and he isn't giving that away for a back-up deal.  Maybe a bonus-laden deal like Iginal - that would make sense for the Isles.  I'm still surprised they didn't toll him, but what do I know?  They could have him and that pick they were supposed to send Boston.

Muir's right about Calgary, and I'd say the same thing about the Panthers (but I'm not a season ticket holder...): why finish in 9th in the conference because your goalie plays lights out on a horrible team when you're in the middle of a rebuild?  Finish 15th because that's what your roster says you are.  Huberdeau, Kulikov, Gudbranson, Campbell, Matthias, maybe Bjugstad and Barkov, then a lot of interchangeable second fiddles.  On the other hand, if they did sign TT and re-sign Hamill, it'll be like old home week down there.

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Maybe he starts the year in Europe waiting for an injury in the NHL.  He has too much baggage to be a serious part of any team's master plan.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't think he's going to do anything other than sign a contract he feels is fair and with an NHL team.  I don't get the sense he's coming back because he's one of those players who is hockey all the time, anytime.  He wants to be the US Olympic goalie.  To do that, he has to be dominating at the highest level of competition for as long as is possible.  Starting in the A or the Elitserien isn't going to get him what he wants.  Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe the lack of interest will change that and make him want to come back and "show 'em".

Really, though, the only place it makes sense for him to play is on a team that thinks it can win now.  No point in him playing for a year on a lousy team - they need a long term plan in net, not meaningless wins.  So who is a) a real contender and b) lacking a goalie who can get them over the hump?  Pitt? Philly, Tampa Bay, and the Isles are in that secondary version of that category - with the right goalie, they might be able to make some noise.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Damn Liberal GMs and there collusion.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

"If anyone needs a goalie, I'll be standing behind Chick-fil-A...."

Sections
Shortcuts