Not our problem anymore...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Not our problem anymore...

In response to stevegm's comment:

JWensink makes a really good point Chowda.  Your post doesn't connect the dots, it circumvents them.

[/QUOTE]

And the really good point which I circumvented was  ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I have to get it off my chest.  I liked the kid.  I liked him a lot.  I liked him for the on ice skills, but from what I saw of the off ice workouts and camp biosteel and from his first vehicle being a used Range Rover I was led to believe that he was mature beyond his years.  I guess I am naive, but I thought the missed team meeting and that benching was a "one of".

I could see the problems in his game as well as anyone and I see what jwensink means.

But I thought he could mature.  I was wild when I was a kid, really wild.  A lot of people didn't think I would live to see 21 years of age.  I had dropped out of school and basically every cent I made went for booze and drugs.  After a few years of that and some close calls I snapped out of it at 21 and turned my life around.  Haven't touched any street drugs since then, (still drink tho), went back to school and got it together.  And at the time I started running every day and eventually took up bike racing and took much better care of myself.

I thought I would see the same in Tyler. I thought his game would improve and get grittier with time.

I am really disappointed in Tyler more than anything.  I wish the kid the best, but again I'd be so disappointed to see him succeed when he could have done it for the Bruins.  I expected to see more bio steel workouts and articles this summer about how Tyler was rededicating himself.  Instead, I see tweets about a 4th of July party.

I guess this is hard on me because I know I was wild and turned it around, and if I were playing for the same stakes that Seguin is...  I just can't see how he can't get it together for millions a year when I did it for a normal life and white collar job.

Congrats on pulling yourself together BH.  Life is good if you want it to be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to red75's comment:

If it's not our problem anymore, why do any of you care?

Because it's better then discussing the Jets.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

In response to red75's comment:

If it's not our problem anymore, why do any of you care?

Because it's better then discussing the Jets.

Chowdah is on fire today. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I have to get it off my chest.  I liked the kid.  I liked him a lot.  I liked him for the on ice skills, but from what I saw of the off ice workouts and camp biosteel and from his first vehicle being a used Range Rover I was led to believe that he was mature beyond his years.  I guess I am naive, but I thought the missed team meeting and that benching was a "one of".

I could see the problems in his game as well as anyone and I see what jwensink means.

But I thought he could mature.  I was wild when I was a kid, really wild.  A lot of people didn't think I would live to see 21 years of age.  I had dropped out of school and basically every cent I made went for booze and drugs.  After a few years of that and some close calls I snapped out of it at 21 and turned my life around.  Haven't touched any street drugs since then, (still drink tho), went back to school and got it together.  And at the time I started running every day and eventually took up bike racing and took much better care of myself.

I thought I would see the same in Tyler. I thought his game would improve and get grittier with time.

I am really disappointed in Tyler more than anything.  I wish the kid the best, but again I'd be so disappointed to see him succeed when he could have done it for the Bruins.  I expected to see more bio steel workouts and articles this summer about how Tyler was rededicating himself.  Instead, I see tweets about a 4th of July party.

I guess this is hard on me because I know I was wild and turned it around, and if I were playing for the same stakes that Seguin is...  I just can't see how he can't get it together for millions a year when I did it for a normal life and white collar job.

Always nice to read a post that's explanetory.  We see this a bit differently, and that's ok.  Personally, I don't think the partying was what got him shipped out of town.  If it was, then I think the Bruins made a mistake.  Maturity, or some form of it will undoubtedly come along.

I think all of this party hoopla is a bit of a smoke screen, and wouldn't even have come out, if PC figured he had a deal, when those remarks were made.  Doesn't make sense for PC to make those public statements, unless he thinks the trade posibilities are gone, and he's stuck with trying to straighten those things out.

I think the "only reason" Seguin was traded, is because management changed their mind about his potential.  I know mine sure did.  I certainly think he can become a really good player, I just don't think he can become a superstar.  I said before, to date, he's been Samsonov lite.  Samsonov was a really good player who just hit a wall, when he really should have taken off.  They both have those pond hockey skills, but not necessarily that other dimension to get them over the top.  I can't ever see Seguin being a quality center.  If he can more North-South he could be a pretty good winger for a while but the East-West stuff has to go.

If Seguin does morph into a superstar with 15 more years on his resume, it won't look good on PC, but I feel he's made a really gutsy, prudent decision.  Time will tell.   

I'm not so sure about this statement steve.  Wouldn't it make more sense that PC looked over his roster and with Horton gone, didn't feel comfortable slotting Seguin as his 1st line RW?  Not that TS doesn't have the talent to be a 1st line RW, but the fit with DK and Lucic simply wasn't a good one.

Then the natural progression is to think forward about dumping salary (Pevs) and freeing up cap space in order to add the missing piece at 1RW, while also adding a more than serviceable 2RW.  So bottom line, it was probably less about Seguin's lack of "potential" and more about rounding out the top 6 which was left in shambles by Horton's departure.  If Horton is still here, Seguin more than likely is as well.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

Always nice to read a post that's explanetory.  We see this a bit differently, and that's ok.  Personally, I don't think the partying was what got him shipped out of town.  If it was, then I think the Bruins made a mistake.  Maturity, or some form of it will undoubtedly come along.

I think all of this party hoopla is a bit of a smoke screen, and wouldn't even have come out, if PC figured he had a deal, when those remarks were made.  Doesn't make sense for PC to make those public statements, unless he thinks the trade posibilities are gone, and he's stuck with trying to straighten those things out.

I think the "only reason" Seguin was traded, is because management changed their mind about his potential.  I know mine sure did.  I certainly think he can become a really good player, I just don't think he can become a superstar.  I said before, to date, he's been Samsonov lite.  Samsonov was a really good player who just hit a wall, when he really should have taken off.  They both have those pond hockey skills, but not necessarily that other dimension to get them over the top.  I can't ever see Seguin being a quality center.  If he can more North-South he could be a pretty good winger for a while but the East-West stuff has to go.

If Seguin does morph into a superstar with 15 more years on his resume, it won't look good on PC, but I feel he's made a really gutsy, prudent decision.  Time will tell.   

I'm not so sure about this statement steve.  Wouldn't it make more sense that PC looked over his roster and with Horton gone, didn't feel comfortable slotting Seguin as his 1st line RW?  Not that TS doesn't have the talent to be a 1st line RW, but the fit with DK and Lucic simply wasn't a good one.

Then the natural progression is to think forward about dumping salary (Pevs) and freeing up cap space in order to add the missing piece at 1RW, while also adding a more than serviceable 2RW.  So bottom line, it was probably less about Seguin's lack of "potential" and more about rounding out the top 6 which was left in shambles by Horton's departure.  If Horton is still here, Seguin more than likely is as well.

I don't think so at all hang.  In fact i'm almost sure.  DK and Lucic used to be a decent fit.  There's nothing to suggest that possibility should be gone forever.  You simply don't trade a "21 year old potential franchise player", unless you stop feeling that way.  It would be more prudent to trade both Lucic and Krejci if the GM still felt he was a franchise player.  And the top 6 was not in shambles with Hortons departure.  It wouldn't have even been news had Nathan not caught the B's by surprise with his decision.  A horton type player isn't that hard to replace.  A franchise player is next to impossible to land without grossly overpaying.  Finally, Hortons departure, it appears was more of a snag in moving Seguin.  If Horton stayed, tyler would have been gone quicker.

finaly

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

JWensink makes a really good point Chowda.  Your post doesn't connect the dots, it circumvents them.

And the really good point which I circumvented was  ?

[/QUOTE]

Both players shared some of the same deficiencies, yet were judged by the community much differently.  It's not spilled milk about the Kessel trade.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:

In response to jaymiller's comment:

tweet aside ..

Like seriously ~ after your character is questioned, what professional athete throws a "trade party" ??

TS didn't call it a "trade party", some hottie did.  And I had a 4th of July party too.  What's the big deal?

Wait a minute.  Yes, he is only 21 and like to party, sure.  And it was 4th of July, sure, no problem.

But wait a second.

It just dawned on me.

You just got traded.  Aren't there things you have to do?  Calls to make?  Stuff to arrange?  People you have to talk to?  Maybe reach out to your new team mates?  Or your old team mates? Maybe some self evaluation?

4th or July party, trade party or whatever, I can't fathom it.  I would think it wouldn't be a good time to atten a party, host or party or anything like that.

And given what was said about him, the partying stories and what PC said in the paper, isn't it the worst time in the world to attend, sponsor or think about partying?

Attending a party at such a point is so far laid back it's unconscious, I mean, there's attitude and then there's being asleep.  Wow.  21 or not, 17 or not, I can't imagine having that attitude on the  day you've been traded.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

steve's take makes more sense to me than all of the "partyboy" drama.  I wrote on another of the endless threads that now circle the trade that it might even be simpler than that - they don't think he'll reach his potential in the current window of contention.  He may be the best player in the NHL in 2018, but Chara will be retired, Bergeron will be well into his 30s, same with Krejci, Seidenberg may be gone, Lucic and Marchand will be 30.  Time to win is now, and I think they're a better team NOW with Eriksson and Iginla than with Seguin and Peverley as the top two wings.

Are you not entertained?!?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Yup after listening to Neely yesterday it was clear TS had played his last game in Boston in Game 6 regardless of who was leaving.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

How I'm thinking about the trade from the negative side, or maybe realistic, just thinking about talent.

TS and LE are generally equal players for the next 6 years, what we've then lost is 3 years of contract with Seguin when his career starts ramping up.  However, if we retained Seguin for the 6 years, he might very well be looking for an enormous paycheck as a UFA and the Bruins would lose him anyway.

Between all of those prospects there will be 365 career NHL games, one will get 300, one will get 50 and one will get 15.

So the 3 years that the Bruins 'lost' will easily be made up for by one of prospects.

Any of the prospects take off, and the Bruins win the trade by a landslide.

For the Bruins to lose Peverly has to catch fire - and I can't imagine that, and of course Seguin has to blossom.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandShore. Show OrrandShore's posts

The "other side  of the story" is that we know that Julien has trouble relating to and working with the younger players.   I am a fan of CJ's, but, all of the faults we percieve with Seguin may be rooted in some of CJ's coaching style.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to OrrandShore's comment:

The "other side  of the story" is that we know that Julien has trouble relating to and working with the younger players.   I am a fan of CJ's, but, all of the faults we percieve with Seguin may be rooted in some of CJ's coaching style.

You mean like relating to younger players like Hamilton, Krug and Bartkowski?

Is there a magic number?  Is it 22 or 23 as opposed to 21 or younger?  Because Lucic, Marchand, Daugavins are 24.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Seemed to work fine with marchand, hamilton, krug, and bartkowki.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

beat me to it badhab.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[/QUOTE]

Both players shared some of the same deficiencies, yet were judged by the community much differently.  It's not spilled milk about the Kessel trade.

[/QUOTE]

Both had deficiencies. Agreed . The reasons why fans treated them differently ? Disagree.

Kessel was traded because of failed contract negotiations. Fans judged him because of forcing the B's hand to trade him. Also, Kessel reportedly had work ethic issues with Julien. Those two actions are easy reasons for fans to dislike a player.

The Golden Boy vs. Ugly Duckling theory ? Believe it if you want. I think it's far fetched.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[/QUOTE]

Both had deficiencies. Agreed . The reasons why fans treated them differently ? Disagree.

Kessel was traded because of failed contract negotiations. Fans judged him because of forcing the B's hand to trade him. Also, Kessel reportedly had work ethic issues with Julien. Those two actions are easy reasons for fans to dislike a player.

The Golden Boy vs. Ugly Duckling theory ? Believe it if you want. I think it's far fetched.

[/QUOTE]

But Chowdah, he's soooooooooo dreamy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kessel wanted out...his contract was up.  So did Horton.  What's the diff?  Another example of how perceptions differ.  Wouldn't you agree that fans are all over the place when it comes to "liking" players ?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Kessel wanted out...his contract was up.  So did Horton.  What's the diff?  Another example of how perceptions differ.  Wouldn't you agree that fans are all over the place when it comes to "liking" players ?

Boston still owned Kessel's rights. They didn't with Horton. He had every right to go to Columbus because of being a UFA.

Perceptions differ with "the way" players leave a city. Horton and Seguin didn't leave by forcing the B's to give them more money or trade them. 

Kessel did. 

And I do agree the fans "liking" of players is all over the place. That's what sports is all about..........opinions on teams, players, etc. That will never change.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

But Chowdah, he's soooooooooo dreamy.

[/QUOTE]

The NHL's version of Justin Bieber ?

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The B's traded for Horton.  He came, won and honored his deal.

The B's had to suuuuuuck to get the pick they used on Kessel.  At the time, the organization needed him.  He wanted to leave. 

I see that as much different.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Apparently, by the reaction of others the "we" part of the statement isn't in agreement.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Or the word "know".

We read this garbage all the time because it's a cliche - coach who stresses system and responsibility is bad with young players/prefers veterans.

Since '07-'08, Julien has made the following players regulars or has given them a shot at to prove they deserved to be regulars:

Kessel - 19 yr old was worked in in the first year, moved quickly to the top line.

Krejci - 21 yr old was given the opportunity to step into Savard's shoes and has never looked back.

Lucic - 19 yr old was given a shot on the fourth line, allowed to play his way up to the first line within two years.

Marchand - 21 yr. old got 20 games in different situations to prove he belonged; failed.  Got a shot on the 4th line the next year, and when he proved he deserved more, moved to the 2nd line and has never left.

Seguin - worked in as a rookie at 18 (an unprepared rookie based on strength, ability to absorb contact), second line in his second year.

Boychuk - 25 yr old rookie got to watch and acclimate, a process that made a wild child with a big shot and a taste for the big hit a solild #3 D on this team.

McQuaid - Same process as Boychuk, but when he was 22.  Regular at 23 on the third pairing.

Hunwick - Given every chance to be a regular at 22

Wheeler - 22 yr old FA signing had every chance to be a top six forward, playing with DK and the club's top FA signee at the time in Ryder.

Kampfer - See Hunwick

Krug - Got to watch as a 21 yr old and played, got 15 games in the playoffs at 22/23 as part of a Finals run including PP time.

Caron - Long leash.  Got his first shot at 19, looked to be pencilled in pre-lockout as a 3rd liner but pooped himself in Providence.

Yeah, Claude's terrible with young players.  2/3rds of the top six last year were young players who came in at 22 or younger.  Three of the D were players he developed including Hamilton, who's not on this list.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Or the word "know".

We read this garbage all the time because it's a cliche - coach who stresses system and responsibility is bad with young players/prefers veterans.

Since '07-'08, Julien has made the following players regulars or has given them a shot at to prove they deserved to be regulars:

Kessel - 19 yr old was worked in in the first year, moved quickly to the top line.

Krejci - 21 yr old was given the opportunity to step into Savard's shoes and has never looked back.

Lucic - 19 yr old was given a shot on the fourth line, allowed to play his way up to the first line within two years.

Marchand - 21 yr. old got 20 games in different situations to prove he belonged; failed.  Got a shot on the 4th line the next year, and when he proved he deserved more, moved to the 2nd line and has never left.

Seguin - worked in as a rookie at 18 (an unprepared rookie based on strength, ability to absorb contact), second line in his second year.

Boychuk - 25 yr old rookie got to watch and acclimate, a process that made a wild child with a big shot and a taste for the big hit a solild #3 D on this team.

McQuaid - Same process as Boychuk, but when he was 22.  Regular at 23 on the third pairing.

Wheeler - 22 yr old FA signing had every chance to be a top six forward, playing with DK and the club's top FA signee at the time in Ryder.

Kampfer - See Hunwick

Krug - Got to watch as a 21 yr old and played, got 15 games in the playoffs at 22/23 as part of a Finals run including PP time.

Caron - Long leash.  Got his first shot at 19, looked to be pencilled in pre-lockout as a 3rd liner but pooped himself in Providence.

Yeah, Claude's terrible with young players.  2/3rds of the top six last year were young players who came in at 22 or younger.  Three of the D were players he developed including Hamilton, who's not on this list.

Exactly. CJ & PC aren't fools. Just check out Seguin's first press confrence in Dallas. The blinkered swagger is still there without any trace of humble pie at all.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Or the word "know".

Kampfer - See Hunwick

...spike of the microphone on the floor...

Orrand Shore...?

• Sections
    Shortcuts