Not so Bad!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Re: Not so Bad!

The name "Big Bad Bruins" was originated ( during the Orr-Espo days ) because of the amount of PIM's and team toughness through fighting back then.  

I'm thinking the terribly inaccurate hit stat wasn't even kep back then. We knew back then how " big and bad " this team was because of the parade to the sin bin. Not a number on a piece of paper saying how many times they hit an opponent.

The current team has team toughness.They don't shy away from fighting as a team. They also play some of their best games when the games are physical. 

For the way the game is played today.......................this team is as big and bad enough compared to the rest of the league. And for those moments in the game when needed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

MeanE  I agree with you on many points ...I have been saying for months that the Bruins need to get bigger ...forwards like Bergeron, Seguin, Paille, Marchand, Kelly, Krejci, Bourque, Pev  do not scare the opponents ...and true that other than Looch , McQuaid, Chara ...the Bruins are not  such a BIG team anymore....even Thornton doesnt scare anyone anymore ...and for me having Thornton in the line up is a total waste of a roster spot that could benefit a younger, more talented , faster and more skillfull player like (Spooner, Tardif )   shame on the Bruins to keep Thornton in the line up ....hope PC and Cam Neely can use their power to have him sit for a while and give the chance to a younger player before its too late (season ends in less than 2 months) ...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's comment:

MeanE  I agree with you on many points ...I have been saying for months that the Bruins need to get bigger ...forwards like Bergeron, Seguin, Paille, Marchand, Kelly, Krejci, Bourque, Pev  do not scare the opponents ...and true that other than Looch , McQuaid, Chara ...the Bruins are not  such a BIG team anymore....even Thornton doesnt scare anyone anymore ...and for me having Thornton in the line up is a total waste of a roster spot that could benefit a younger, more talented , faster and more skillfull player like (Spooner, Tardif )   shame on the Bruins to keep Thornton in the line up ....hope PC and Cam Neely can use their power to have him sit for a while and give the chance to a younger player before its too late (season ends in less than 2 months) ...

Tardif is 28. He is a career AHLer. If he had the combination of any of these things he would have been in the NHL long ago. And there to stay.

Fire whoever's been scouting for you.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

This team has loads of toughness, and has more big and bad players than any other roster in the league...unfortuantely they're too busy skating back to the neutral zone to take advantage of it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

This team has loads of toughness, and has more big and bad players than any other roster in the league...unfortuantely they're too busy skating back to the neutral zone to take advantage of it.

Haven't seen this idea from anyone in a long time.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

The NHL has changed.  PJ Stock made some good pts on the radio this morning.  He noted that you use to be able to change the momentum of the game with a big hit or a hard physical play; however, he noted that these days, there is a long pause after such a play (as the refs review whether the player left his feet, targeted the head...)...You really cant build momentum this way.

Fighting for momentum is only temporary.

So how do you build momentum.  By focusing on Hockey.  We didnt let the Caps come back last night because we werent throwing our bodies around.  It was because we were out of position, giving them too much space.  

We need to be more intelligent on D.  The Bruins are at their best when they are playing smart D.  Over the last couple of games, Ive noticed that we've been out of position at an unacceptable rate and giving up too much time and space.

Where a physical presence would be nice would be in front of our own net.  It seems like teams linger in front of Rask for too long.  We should be clearing those guys out of there.

I dont know the solution, maybe more minutes for Mcquaid?  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont think running around and hitting people is a smart strategy in 2013.  Trying to wear down opponents.  Be physical , but be physical in the context of the game.  Dont go out of your way to be physical.  Because if you are focusing on being physical (looking to line up shots, looking to be in a postion to deliver big hits), you are not focusing on the developing play.

Focus on the play.  If the play calls you to be physical, be physical.  But focus primarily on the play.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:

The name "Big Bad Bruins" was originated ( during the Orr-Espo days ) because of the amount of PIM's and team toughness through fighting back then.  

I'm thinking the terribly inaccurate hit stat wasn't even kep back then. We knew back then how " big and bad " this team was because of the parade to the sin bin. Not a number on a piece of paper saying how many times they hit an opponent.

The current team has team toughness.They don't shy away from fighting as a team. They also play some of their best games when the games are physical. 

For the way the game is played today.......................this team is as big and bad enough compared to the rest of the league. And for those moments in the game when needed.

I am not so sure this applies any longer.  The 3 losses in regulation were physical games.  Even though people would like to put words in my mouth,  I haven't been saying that this team is soft.  My point has remained that they are not as physical as their reputation.  I haven't even stated that this was a necessarily bad thing, just that it doesn't fit.  Everyone wants to discredit the hit stat as being subjective and inaccurate, but no matter how innacurate the stat may be, it is innaccurate for all of the Bruins.  Lucic has 76 hits, the next closest forward is Chris Kelly with 50 less hits!  Whether it is Claude's system, the players unwillingness, a lack of size up front, concussions, etc...  It doesn't matter.  IMO the Bruins are not so Bad.  Once again, I am not saying that this is a "problem".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

The NHL has changed.  PJ Stock made some good pts on the radio this morning.  He noted that you use to be able to change the momentum of the game with a big hit or a hard physical play; however, he noted that these days, there is a long pause after such a play (as the refs review whether the player left his feet, targeted the head...)...You really cant build momentum this way.

So how do you build momentum.  By focusing on Hockey.  We didnt let the Caps come back last night because we werent throwing our bodies around.  It was because we were out of position, giving them too much space.  

We need to be more intelligent on D.  The Bruins are at their best when they are playing smart D.  Over the last couple of games, Ive noticed that we've been out of position at an unacceptable rate and giving up too much time and space.

Where a physical presence would be nice would be in front of our own net.  It seems like teams linger in front of Rask for too long.  We should be clearing those guys out of there.

Very good post Drewski.  PJ is absolutely correct and so are you regarding not being out of position to deliver a check.

Fighting momentum being temporary, brought to mind something from last night's game.  Thornton accepted Erskine's request in the 1st, when he himself said he probably shouldn't have, but John has done it for him before.  My question is why when the momentum switched to the Caps in the 2nd, ST or someone else didn't find a dance partner to try and get the mo back?

I agree with your positioning statement, but I see too many times where I believe the Bruins are in position to deliver a body check and where it is the right play, but they decide to stick check instead.  In addition, clearing guys out in front has been a huge negative.  To me, it was very noticeable in the Ottawa game, because I felt the Sens were very good at cleaning up the dirty area, which made the Bruins lack of it seem that much more of a issue. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to JWensink's comment:

Haven't seen this idea from anyone in a long time.

That's what I saw last night, and I couldn't believe how the Caps were allowed to just gain the blue line without anybody laying a finger on them - right thru their defensive scheme, hell, skated right to the front of the net more than once. That ain't gonna ever work. Not looking for big bone crushing highlight reel hits, but jees put a shoulder into somebody. They were also forechecking our brains in, and without paying the price. And the B's forecheck was stickwork for the most part.  Just callin em like I see em -

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

I've noticed this, but there's a difference between team toughness and fighting/hitting. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to MeanE's comment:

I am not so sure this applies any longer. 

What's not to be sure about ? They are near the top of the league in both categories of  PIMS and fighting majors. They also have one of the best records in the NHL.

The 3 losses in regulation were physical games.  

And all their wins were in non-physical games I suppose ? A pick and choose answer.

Even though people would like to put words in my mouth, 

A well used line on BDC . 

but no matter how innacurate the stat may be, it is innaccurate for all of the Bruins.  Lucic has 76 hits, the next closest forward is Chris Kelly with 50 less hits! 

How does this work ? Inaccuracy kept "evenly" across the board for every player's hits stats ................making it eventually in some roundabout way..........relatively accurate. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I am not so sure this applies any longer.  The 3 losses in regulation were physical games.  Even though people would like to put words in my mouth,  I haven't been saying that this team is soft.  My point has remained that they are not as physical as their reputation.  I haven't even stated that this was a necessarily bad thing, just that it doesn't fit.  Everyone wants to discredit the hit stat as being subjective and inaccurate, but no matter how innacurate the stat may be, it is innaccurate for all of the Bruins.  Lucic has 76 hits, the next closest forward is Chris Kelly with 50 less hits!  Whether it is Claude's system, the players unwillingness, a lack of size up front, concussions, etc...  It doesn't matter.  IMO the Bruins are not so Bad.  Once again, I am not saying that this is a "problem".

The Leafs are one of the teams who you listed as being more physical than the Bruins. Komarov has 44 hits more than the next closest forward (Kulemin). Why is it not an issue for them but it is for the Bruins? Lastly. I notice you said again that you're "not saying that this is a problem" and and that people are "putting words" in your mouth. That's odd because on this very thread you also said, " I don't think that the Bruins have a good mix up front...............not enough guys willing to bang the body.......... I don't want to hear any more excuses.........the balance is not there". That's a bit of a mixed message at best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Yup, tough is being equated with "big bad".  The positional argument is correct as well, although a 19 year old and winged third line seem to be the focus of that argument.  The statement below is absolutely correct, imo opposing teams recognize that Tuuka does not handle the puck well and is prone to leaving rebounds.  The defense does not help especially if teams like Montreal and Buffalo (smaller, quicker forwards) are pursuing the rebound.  So yes, a healthier McQuaid, a more physical Hamilton, a revived Funkled AF, and a consistant Boychuk need to be more physical.  The Bs are tough enough.  Lucic and Chara can beat the snot out of any opposing player while playing and in the occasional fight.  Thanks Drewski for bringing up the goalie/defense toughness issue.  

In response to Drewski5's comment:

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:

I was thinking the same thing when Ovechkin ran over Rask a third time. No way would someone like Pronger or Weber or Chara let that happen so many times. He should have been mauled to send a message.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to islamorada's comment:

I was thinking the same thing when Ovechkin ran over Rask a third time. No way would someone like Pronger or Weber or Chara let that happen so many times. He should have been mauled to send a message. Instead the D just stood around and looked afraid to take a penalty.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

What's not to be sure about ? They are near the top of the league in both categories of  PIMS and fighting majors. They also have one of the best records in the NHL.

And all their wins were in non-physical games I suppose ? A pick and choose answer.

but no matter how innacurate the stat may be, it is innaccurate for all of the Bruins.  Lucic has 76 hits, the next closest forward is Chris Kelly with 50 less hits! 

How does this work ? Inaccuracy kept "evenly" across the board for every player's hits stats ................making it eventually in some roundabout way..........relatively accurate. 

Most claim the stat is inaccurate based on barn to barn off ice officials.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

The Leafs are one of the teams you listed who you listed as being more physical than the Bruins. Komarov has 44 hits more than the next closest forward (Kulemin). Why is it not an issue for them but it is for the Bruins? Lastly. I notice you said again that you're "not saying that this is a problem" and and that people are "putting words" in your mouth. That's odd because on this very thread you also said, " I don't think that the Bruins have a good mix up front...............not enough guys willing to bang the body.......... I don't want to hear any more excuses.........the balance is not there". That's a bit of a mixed message at best.

It's not a mixed Message, I don't think they have balance up front.  However they still have only 3 losses in regulation, it's only a problem if they are not winning games.  My point continues to be that the bruins are not as bad as their reputation, they are more of a skilled, possession team.  Didn't say it wasnt an issue for Toronto, and it doesnt change my opinion that they are more physical.  why are you using hits in your argument, they don't matter.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

Hits should not be Used to determine bad, but pims should?  Arguably the three most physical games were losses.  A well used line on bdc for good reason.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The Leafs are one of the teams you listed who you listed as being more physical than the Bruins. Komarov has 44 hits more than the next closest forward (Kulemin). Why is it not an issue for them but it is for the Bruins? Lastly. I notice you said again that you're "not saying that this is a problem" and and that people are "putting words" in your mouth. That's odd because on this very thread you also said, " I don't think that the Bruins have a good mix up front...............not enough guys willing to bang the body.......... I don't want to hear any more excuses.........the balance is not there". That's a bit of a mixed message at best.

It's not a mixed Message, I don't think they have balance up front.  However they still have only 3 losses in regulation, it's only a problem if they are not winning games.  My point continues to be that the bruins are not as bad as their reputation, they are more of a skilled, possession team.  Didn't say it wasnt an issue for Toronto, and it doesnt change my opinion that they are more physical.  why are you using hits in your argument, they don't matter.

What argument was I making? I'm simply questioning the validity of yours. Was there somewhere I said hits don't matter because that's something else I don't recall saying. Feel free to quote me and address anything I may have said but this business of you answering questions I didn't ask is getting boring. Whatever turns your crank I guess.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:

I've noticed this, but there's a difference between team toughness and fighting/hitting. 

This is what I think the Bruins have.  That collective ability to have as many players as possible on the roster initiating the bodychecking.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

What argument was I making? I'm simply questioning the validity of yours. Was there somewhere I said hits don't matter because that's something else I don't recall saying. Feel free to quote me and address anything I may have said but this business of you answering questions I didn't ask is getting boring. Whatever turns your crank I guess.

Feel free to quote me as saying it wasn't an issue for Toronto. You sure like to talk about cranks and pants being down, sorry bro, I know they say if u can play u can play, and I agree, but I don't swing that way, u need to look elsewhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

My point is not to argue why.  My point is that the Bruins are not what they are made out to be in the media or by fans.  NBC talked about it all game long, like the Bruins are the meatheads and the Canadiens are the skilled bunch.  This Bruins team is as skilled as any in the league.  They simply, are not the BIG BAD BRUINS. 

Chara, Lucic, McQuaid...all almost automatic fight wins.

Ference, Horton, Campbell, Kelly...guys that will go.

Bergeron, Krejci, Boychuk, Seidenberg...have fought

That's pretty big and bad.  Who's badder?

No one!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

My point is not to argue why.  My point is that the Bruins are not what they are made out to be in the media or by fans.  NBC talked about it all game long, like the Bruins are the meatheads and the Canadiens are the skilled bunch.  This Bruins team is as skilled as any in the league.  They simply, are not the BIG BAD BRUINS. 

Chara, Lucic, McQuaid...all almost automatic fight wins.

Ference, Horton, Campbell, Kelly...guys that will go.

Bergeron, Krejci, Boychuk, Seidenberg...have fought

That's pretty big and bad.  Who's badder?

No one!

That's a tough team.