Not world ending

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Not world ending

In Response to Re: Not world ending:
    [QUOTE]It is painful to watch the Bruins play against the elite teams, and no, Montreal is not an elite team.  The lack of team speed, creativity with the puck and poor passing dooms this team to mediocrity.  Thomas has carried them the last few years to places this team had no business being in.  Watch a Detroit, Chicago or Vancouver game.  They string together 4 to 5 tape to tape passes.  There is no dumping in the pack and chasing, no constant, infuriting and utterly maddening offsides.  No repetitive icings, no shots from outside that have zero chance of going in. The team needs a serious upgrade in talent to take the next step or they will forever be in the notch below the top teams.  And sadly, I think ownership and unfortunately management including Neel are okay with that.  As long as the team is making money it is viewed as a success.
    Posted by elmerzipp[/QUOTE]
    I've watched many Chicago losses this year.I fail to see why you feel Boston doesn't compare favourably with them.They aren't the same team that won the cup.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not world ending : I find that brand of hockey pointless to watch.  You get the occasional highlight reel play, and the occasional game that's insanely entertaining, but you see a lot of stupid, stupid hockey full of mistakes, dumb plays, and no sense that you're watching a professional game - Dave Lewis hockey.  You can see incredible talent playing that style of game elsewhere.  I want professional hockey and that means playing to win. I'm not entertained if there's no urgency to win.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Well I agree that urgency to win is certainly needed, but I can't remember a more quiet building for a game than Detroit on Sunday.  You could hear the vendors clear as day the whole game.  Puck possession, trap, and pouncing on mistakes is a brilliant way to play.  It is also exceptionally boring, as evidenced by the half asleep crowds in Boston Friday and Detroit Sunday.  I'd rather watch lesser players, hussle, gamble, and make mistakes than watching the Detroit chess match.  Maybe that's why I love watching college and junior hockey too.

More power to Detroit, they played great.  But I was bored out of my mind.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not world ending : And NAS it was the Dawson City Nuggets, but I get your point (despite your erroneous facts which you have called many other posters out on) and I concur with your overall argument.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

It was the Nuggets vs. the Senators.

Both teams had seven players.  Both teams were also called Seven.

Check all of the facts before you call me out next time.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Grammar police here. Shouldnt it be World Not Ending?
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

No, it shouldn't be.  It's the subejct of a post about the games, not the world.

Example:  The losses do not end the world.  They are not world ending.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not world ending : No, it shouldn't be.  It's the subejct of a post about the games, not the world. Example:  The losses do not end the world.  They are not world ending.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Ok thought you were refering to the "world is ending" reactionary posts. Im only a first week cadet. Sorry capt.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Not world ending:[QUOTE]And I completely disagree. Why do we have to play their game to win? If the Bruins play their game, like they did against the Habs and Stars,they win those games. Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Good point Red but as I heard on NHL home ice radio this morning Dave Maloney mentioned that the Bruins tried to play their physical game and lost then tried to play Detroit's game and lost. So that's where the alert came up on most posters is all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]Man though, aside from who is better, aren't you glad you're not a Detroit fan right now?  The two most boring games I've watched all year.  Detroit plays that slow puck possesion offense, trapping defense, never gambles, never fights, limited forecheck, etc. etc. I'm not saying it isn't smart, or effective for that matter.  But it sure is a dull brand of hockey.  I can't imagine buying season tickets to watch that style night in and night out.  I'd rather watch Edmonton run and gun and lose every game 6-3.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Wow, Fletcher, no offense but I couldn't possibly disagree more. My wife is a die hard Detroit fan so I watch every Bruins game and every Detroit game.  Watching the absolute wizardry of Datsuyk and Zetterberg plus Rafalski, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstom, crazy speed of Helm, crushing checks by Kronwall, etc, etc is a TON more entertaining than watching a team like the Bruins who STILL have no real offensive skill players.  The Wings are incredibly entertaining.

Trapping defense, never gambles?? You havent seen this team at all.

Detroit's 2 wins over the B's were machine-like... they didn't even play well. They have been in a little slump lately.  Watch a few Wings' games and I guarantee you will rethink that one.  Outside of Vancouver or Philly when they are flying or maybe Pitt, Detroit is the most entertaining pure offensive hockey product on the ice, night after night.

No, there arent any fights, thats true.  But I dont know that I have ever seen them lay eggs like some of the no-show games the B's have put out there the last couple years.

These 2 games weren't just 2 "bad games" -the B's WERE in fact exposed as a team that competes (is built for?) Eastern teams but simply cannot compete with skill teams like Detroit, Vancouver or San Jose.

Friday I sat on the couch and I said, "Wings 6-1."  I hate being right.  (I actually called 5-2 for Sun because the B's play better on the road and in front of Thomas, but that first Wings goal was called back and messed up my prediction.)

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not world ending : Wow, Fletcher, no offense but I couldn't possibly disagree more. My wife is a die hard Detroit fan so I watch every Bruins game and every Detroit game.  Watching the absolute wizardry of Datsuyk and Zetterberg plus Rafalski, Lidstrom, Franzen, Holmstom, crazy speed of Helm, crushing checks by Kronwall, etc, etc is a TON more entertaining than watching a team like the Bruins who STILL have no real offensive skill players.  The Wings are incredibly entertaining. Trapping defense, never gambles?? You havent seen this team at all. Detroit's 2 wins over the B's were machine-like... they didn't even play well. They have been in a little slump lately.  Watch a few Wings' games and I guarantee you will rethink that one.  Outside of Vancouver or Philly when they are flying or maybe Pitt, Detroit is the most entertaining pure offensive hockey product on the ice, night after night. No, there arent any fights, thats true.  But I dont know that I have ever seen them lay eggs like some of the no-show games the B's have put out there the last couple years. These 2 games weren't just 2 "bad games" -the B's WERE in fact exposed as a team that competes (is built for?) Eastern teams but simply cannot compete with skill teams like Detroit, Vancouver or San Jose. Friday I sat on the couch and I said, "Wings 6-1."  I hate being right.  (I actually called 5-2 for Sun because the B's play better on the road and in front of Thomas, but that first Wings goal was called back and messed up my prediction.)
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Wow, I can't believe we see it so differently.  I will agree with you that there is nothing broing about the skill of players like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom -- they are a marvel to watch.

Beyond that though, I find Detroit's style of play to be skilled, but boring.  You are wrong about them gambling.  As they mentioned during the broadcast several times, the Wings play puck possesion and a very postionally sound system and wait for mistakes (like Minnesota and New Jersey used to do).  Then they are deadly with the counter attack.  You rarely see more than one guy forecheck deep; you rarely see d-men leave their point to jump in; you rarely see odd man rushes against.  It is safe and opportunistic play.

Not so sure that western teams dominate eastern teams either.  I think Detroit and Vancouver are the most skilled teams in the league, but I think Philly would have at least a 50/50 chance of beating either of them in a 7 game series.  After Vancouver and Detroit there are a lot of incomplete teams in the west.

If the hockey is so exciting in Detroit, someone should tell their fans.  I could hear the beer being poured in the concourse during that game.  Quietest game I can remember in a while.  I'm sure their fans enjoy it -- it is always fun to win.  That was a very nice and polite golf crowd clap at the end...

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

I guess we are disagreeing on puck possession.  Comparing Detroit owning the puck for 3/4 of a period because their forwards are so much more skilled than most other teams to NJ and Minnesota, who made NO attempt at offense, waited for a counterattack and tried to win 2-1 every game is absolutely far-fetched to me.

I guess they don't gamble much; they don't have to.  Almost every game they do make those tape-to-tape rink stretching passes for breakaways and 2 on 1s that make a game exciting.

I didnt say West dominates East. I said the B's appear to be built for the grinding style of the East, but the B's dont have forwards that could play on Detroit or Vancouver's 3rd line some nights.

And this comes from watching them all the time, but I have never seen a team in my 40 years in this game be so deadly the last 5 minutes of a game when trailing by a goal. The games they have tied/won in the last minute the past few years are mind-boggling.  The weird thing is unlike watching other teams, when they are losing you expect them to score.  Its freaky.

I've always missed the offensive firepower of the Bruins of the 70's and honestly, I watch Wings' games right now to watch 3 periods of incredibly entertaining offensive hockey. Im sorry, but the idea that Wings' fans have a bring product is just ridiculous to me.

I've always been a Boston-only sports fan because of my loyalty, but watching the Wings the last few years started by sitting with my wife, but has continued because it is simply the most interesting franchise to watch in the NHL.

I can't defend their fans not at the games They have had a bunch of empty seats because of the horrific economy in that city and thats something they have to deal with.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]I guess we are disagreeing on puck possession.  Comparing Detroit owning the puck for 3/4 of a period because their forwards are so much more skilled than most other teams to NJ and Minnesota, who made NO attempt at offense, waited for a counterattack and tried to win 2-1 every game is absolutely far-fetched to me. I guess they don't gamble much; they don't have to.  Almost every game they do make those tape-to-tape rink stretching passes for breakaways and 2 on 1s that make a game exciting. I didnt say West dominates East. I said the B's appear to be built for the grinding style of the East, but the B's dont have forwards that could play on Detroit or Vancouver's 3rd line some nights. And this comes from watching them all the time, but I have never seen a team in my 40 years in this game be so deadly the last 5 minutes of a game when trailing by a goal. The games they have tied/won in the last minute the past few years are mind-boggling.  The weird thing is unlike watching other teams, when they are losing you expect them to score.  Its freaky. I've always missed the offensive firepower of the Bruins of the 70's and honestly, I watch Wings' games right now to watch 3 periods of incredibly entertaining offensive hockey. Im sorry, but the idea that Wings' fans have a bring product is just ridiculous to me. I've always been a Boston-only sports fan because of my loyalty, but watching the Wings the last few years started by sitting with my wife, but has continued because it is simply the most interesting franchise to watch in the NHL. I can't defend their fans not at the games They have had a bunch of empty seats because of the horrific economy in that city and thats something they have to deal with.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Interesting SoxFan.  To each his own.  I'm glad you enjoy it.  I have certain teams that I like to watch (St. Louis is one) besides the Bruins too.  For whatever reason, I found Friday's and Sunday's games to be a little dull.

P.S.  Regarding Eastern vs. Western teams, you did write "Eastern teams simply cannot compete with skill teams like Detroit, Vancouver or San Jose."  That's what I was responding to.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ding D@ng the witch is dead.... nope, don't buy it.  Detriot is a boring team to watch but the Bs were outclassed.  I waited for a couple weeks for this series, I was disappointed in the Bs play.  The game in Detriot was better but it is a far reach to say the Bs are not beyond the second round with out Savard.  Any team can win a series, right.  Yet, Philly, Vancouver, Detriot are better teams.... Montreal and Buffalo would make the Bs prescribed ascention into the second round an issue.  So yes the red light of danger is there.  PC has an opportunity to make the team better now.  For this fan the Cup is mighty fine this year.  Chicago may not be good this year nbut the team won the Stanley Cup.  I will take that.   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Maybe
    Not, world ending!
    or
    World ending, NOT!!!

Who really cares, all but one caught the drift.

To get to the Stanley, you must beat the East to get there.  Being western beaters doesn`t help if you don`t make it out.

Shameful to say, but you can only play em one at a time, and we can only play the style given by the almighty CLOD!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

GOATS got rhymes today

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsCountry. Show BruinsCountry's posts

In Response to Not world ending:
    [QUOTE]So they drop two in a row aganist Detroit and all we can read about is how they are not an elite team because of this, and that they can't skate with the elite teams. Philly:  2-1 Tampa:  2-1 Pitt:  2-1 The Cup doesn't reside in Detroit.  It's not like the Dawson City Seven vs. The Ottawa Silver Seven here. A couple of losses against one team doesn't mean they just aren't good enough. (Other things do, but this does not.)
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

That's right.  Not enough talent to get past Philly.  And not enough consistent "compete" level to get past Philly.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Not world ending : We are 2 offensive playmakers/finishers from being Philly.  Easier said than done. They have Giroux, Carter, Richards and Briere.   One of those guys would have been Savard - LTIR. So, it really leaves us with Bergeron, IF he keeps this pace and Lucic who I think is overachieving on the goal scoring. The rest are a notch below the Flyers "Big 4"
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    I guess it all depends on what Horton and DK can contribute.Ryder and Wheeler aren't slouches during the 1 out of 3 games in which they show up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Is the world ending now ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]Is the world ending now ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

I am depressed! I should have stayed home like the fans a the td Garden.  I need to take some anti depressants... like wait till next year pills.  Sad showing tonight and it reminds me of the ten game losing streak of last year.  Ground hog day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Is the world ending now ?
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

That one was tough to watch.  Not one bright spot for Boston.

Yeeeeesh.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I know that was tough to watch but I like the reaction from Chiarelli he must have been like "OK when did aliens take over the Bruins" some Julien haters might answer back "When you hired Clode!" LoL!

No the world is not ending but that was for sure tough to swallow...